PDA

View Full Version : Shoes - do I buy them along the trail?

ehasenmyer
01-19-2010, 10:51
My husband and I are planning a thru-hike this year (leaving in June) and I am assuming we will need several pairs of shoes. We currently wear really light-weight Merrell hiking shoes, but wouldn't mind a switch to New Balance Trail Runners. Should we buy them now and break them in before we go, or should we get them along the trail? Breaking shoes in while hiking doesn't sound all that great, but I was wondering if my feet might actually change sizes after all that walking with a pack. I know a lot of women who's feet change sizes after being pregnant, so thought the same might happen after hiking hundreds of miles lugging 25 lbs on my back.

garlic08
01-19-2010, 10:56
I've worn New Balance 8XX series in EE width for many years and they do not need to be broken in. In fact, for me they feel the best right out of the box and they start breaking down right away. Since I need the EE width and it's not the most common, I need to buy ahead of time and ship ahead. A minor hassle, but worth it for me. I make sure I find a business that has daily open hours to hold the package, not the USPS.

I also know my size, which is a full size larger and wider than when I started my first long hike. You can order along the way and the shipper will send to your mail drop, no problem. You probably won't get sales prices that way, but it's a small price to pay for flexibility.

Good luck!

Spokes
01-19-2010, 11:00
You can buy shoes along the way but the spacing of the stores/outfitters may not be too convenient. When you need new shoes, you need new shoes right?

Your feet may change sizes, mine never did. I attribute that to many years of running marathons and ultra-marathons. So, I ended up buying several pairs from www.zappos.com and mailed them when needed. Expect getting between 400-500 miles per pair (YMMV).

Good luck.

traildust
01-19-2010, 11:47
June? You going southbound? If you want to do the whole trail in ridge runners the merrells are a good shoe. We have the light weight style and have had them on the trails and in the mud and muck of our farm for three years now.

ehasenmyer
01-19-2010, 11:51
June? You going southbound? If you want to do the whole trail in ridge runners the merrells are a good shoe. We have the light weight style and have had them on the trails and in the mud and muck of our farm for three years now.

We are doing a flip-flop. Harpers Ferry to Maine, then HF to Georgia. We can't start any earlier than June 1 b/c of work schedules. We thought about SOBO, but I just don't want to deal with the ruggedness that early on, not to mention the black flies.

weary
01-19-2010, 13:01
I know I'm a lone voice in the wilderness. But I don't recall that any of the early thru hikers had to replace the sturdy boots they started with along the trail. An acquaintance of mine, who I questioned before my long walk in 1993 recommended a pair of Dexter Boots, which he said had lasted him through two thru hikes. So I bought a pair to break in in case the opportunity ever came to do the whole trail. The breaking in was a lot longer than I had expected. I wore them hiking and for work around the house for five years before starting on Springer. They lasted until Waynesboro, VA, where a crack developed in leather on one side, letting in pebbles and stuff.

The boots weren't worn out. I just hadn't kept them maintained properly, allowing the leather to crack. I searched for a repair shop, and when none appeared quickly I purchased a pair of Merrills. Those got me to Katahdin -- and another few years of off and on hiking.

The Dexters, now repaired, sit in a closet. Still sturdy and useable. Sadly Dexter went out of business a few years ago as the boot fad switched from quality boots to disposable boots, both lighter and flimsier.

But sturdy boots adequate for the trail still exist. Earl Shaffer, who hiked the trail three times, used only workman boots and never needed a trail replacement.

The choice is between light weight boots that have to be replaced every few hundred miles, or boots a few ounces heavier that will do the 2,000 miles and more.

Weary

Blissful
01-19-2010, 13:37
You can try the runners now and see how they do for you. Trail runners don't need a break in time per say unless you are trying to see how your feet do in them. If you do find a shoe you like, you can usually order them online and mailed to you on the trail. But your feet will increase by at least half a size to a full size on the trail. I would also look into good insoles as well.

Tinker
01-19-2010, 14:01
My husband and I are planning a thru-hike this year (leaving in June) and I am assuming we will need several pairs of shoes. We currently wear really light-weight Merrell hiking shoes, but wouldn't mind a switch to New Balance Trail Runners. Should we buy them now and break them in before we go, or should we get them along the trail? Breaking shoes in while hiking doesn't sound all that great, but I was wondering if my feet might actually change sizes after all that walking with a pack. I know a lot of women who's feet change sizes after being pregnant, so thought the same might happen after hiking hundreds of miles lugging 25 lbs on my back.

Fwiw, I think that, if the Merrell shoes are working for you, stick with them. You will probably need to go up 1/2 size during your hike, maybe more, especially if your feet are flat (they tend to elongate more than high arched feet - I have the former, my wife has the latter).
Don't buy shoes by brand, style, or recommendation by others alone! They may be completely WRONG for your feet (New Balance shoes are practically straight from toes to heel. For me that means either too much room in the heel or too little in the toe) - also, the toe box and forefoot has more volume than my flat feet need, which would result in sliding and rolling of the forefoot. I currently use Asics and have used Keens (though the leather on mine stretched out to the point that my feet were hopelessly lost in them and I could not tighten them any more - luckily I had a pair of river crossing shoes (Keen Newport H2's with NYLON STRAP uppers) which I finished my Hundred Mile Wilderness and Katahdin climb with in 2008.
In short - wear what fits - period (I know that doesn't jive with my sig. line, but I feel very strongly about this).
Have a wonderful hike. :)

bulldog49
01-19-2010, 15:22

Good luck on your hike from a fellow Andersonian.

Connie
01-19-2010, 15:24
I wear Salomon or Merrill trail hikers. I have not worn trail runners, yet. I need a neutral shoe, no pronation in or out. I am considering the New Balance trail runners. I have had good fit from Asics.

I like to see leather or synthetic leather on the hiker shoe below the ankle area.

I use Good Feet "Max" plastic insoles. They never wear out.

Once you feet are used to the Good Feet "Max" they have a positive feedback for foot placement I find essential on the trail, especially a rough roots and rocks trail.

Good Feet recommended their leather and memory foam pad, if I use a heavy pack. I do not use a heavy pack. I never carry 30-35 lbs anymore. I have gone lightweight and ultralight so I can carry more food.

I had a third metatarsal injury, involving a cast for 5 weeks. Afterwards, the podiatrist recommended I get adjusted to using specially-made insoles. Once he got me in the solid plastic insoles, he told me just go to Good Feet.

I have not had my feet change foot-size.

However, I always select narrow heel and round-toe hiking shoes with the metatarsal arch properly located. I wear wicking short socks with a double knit heel and achilles tendon area and having a full toe area with no seams and I use Good Feet "Max" solid plastic insoles having just the right amount of support and just the right amount of strength.

About the narrow heel, just get the right fit when the shoe is laced up, so your foot does not slide forward bouncing your weight on an incline and your heel does not pull up when walking around the store.

I hike a great deal. I have never done a thru-hike, so make your own decisions.

Maybe something I said helps.

bulldog49
01-19-2010, 15:25
Here is a link to a great source for New Balance shoes.

http://www.nbwebexpress.com/?s1=yahoo&s2=NB+NBWE&s3={ifsearch:New+Balance+Web+Express}{ifcontent:CT }

BrianLe
01-19-2010, 15:37
"When you need new shoes, you need new shoes right?"

Depends on why you're replacing them; if they're falling off your feet, then certainly new ones are needed, but in my limited experience there are degrees of "need new shoes"; every time I replaced shoes on the PCT I had large holes in the fabric over the toes, but I could still walk in them just fine.

I think that if a person can do some decent mileage (> 100 mile) shakedown trips ahead of time in a shoe that's at least 1/2 size larger than what they normally wear, then it's fine to buy shoes before the thru-hike and mail them out. That way you know what you're getting, you know it works for you. And unless you're really tight on funds, even if that turns out not to be the case, you can likely use them at home and instead buy along the way anyway.

If not, I'd be inclined to try to find shoes along the way, but for some people at least (me included) it's hard to find a shoe that doesn't cause some sort of problems. For me personally, for example, one set of shoes I tried out in shakedown hikes gave me toe-area pain (not a large enough toe box), and another quickly gave me a large heel blister (rigid wrong-shaped-for-me heel cup). In both cases the shoes seemed fine walking briefly around in the store.

Spokes
01-19-2010, 15:44
Depends on why you're replacing them; if they're falling off your feet, then certainly new ones are needed, but in my limited experience there are degrees of "need new shoes"; every time I replaced shoes on the PCT I had large holes in the fabric over the toes, but I could still walk in them just fine.

You can hike the AT or even run marathons barefooted ( a la the Barefoot Sisters or Barefoot Ken Bob) but do you want to?

BrianLe
01-19-2010, 16:12
"
You can hike the AT or even run marathons barefooted ( a la the Barefoot Sisters or Barefoot Ken Bob) but do you want to?"

Apples and oranges. And pumpkins. And fire hydrants and rubber chickens ... i.e., non equivalent things. Having holes in the fabric over the tops of my shoes is not at all the same as walking barefoot.

I'm just saying that shoes don't hit some specific warranty mileage point and then instantly self-destruct. On the AT in particular, I would think that a person would have a fair bit of time to get off trail and hitch to an outfitter or other decent shoe store and pick up a replacement.

My own approach is to mail shoes to myself, as I already know what I want.

garlic08
01-19-2010, 16:51
Regarding shoe failure, I'm with Brian. Those who replace running shoes in less than 500 miles usually do so because the sole has lost its cushion. At 400 miles, the shoe hardly looks very worn at all, including the tread, but it has gone "flat". Put new shoes on then and they'll feel like bedroom slippers and you'll go "ahhh". But you can keep walking in them until they fall apart, which for me is usually over 750 miles. I plan my shoe resupplies for between 600 and 700 miles. I don't want to pay for new shoes more often than that, and my feet are usually tough enough by then to take the extra pounding.

ehasenmyer
01-19-2010, 16:56
I have tried 5 or 6 different types of hiking shoes. All the way from old school leather boots, to ridge runners and I have gotten blisters on my little toes in ALL of them. I was kinda thinking that might just be might feet--by little toes curls under the toe next to it and rubs a blister. I'm hoping that after a few weeks it will toughen up and go away.

The Merrells I have have been the best so far because they have a roomy toe box, but I still get blisters. I was thinking of switching to trail runners to see if that might solve the problem. Also, I use green Super Feet inserts.

ehasenmyer
01-19-2010, 16:58
Good luck on your hike from a fellow Andersonian.

What a small world! Can't believe I met a fellow Andersonian out here. Have you, or do you think you'll ever do a thru hike yourself?

BrianLe
01-19-2010, 17:06
"... by little toes curls under the toe next to it and rubs a blister"

This isn't uncommon, I have the same issue. Some ideas to consider ...

Underlapping toe blisters can be dealt with using Injinji socks. These are "toe" socks, you put them on like gloves. I find they don't wear as well as regular socks, but I can get a couple hundred miles from a pair before they start to wear thin (typically in the ball of the foot for me).

Another approach is to get a silicon spacer, something that physically keeps your smallest toes apart. I bought some at footsmart.com, I'm sure there are other sources. There are different types; I like the type that are sort of shaped like two cones connected at the pointy ends. There are two sizes of those, I sometimes use one, sometimes another.

Most of the time I wear nothing; after my feet are toughened up the problem does go away (for me, at least), but having something to help at the start is worth looking into.

You could also use bodyglide or hydropel; I'd carry that anyway, but suggest either injinji's or silicon spacers. REI carries injinji socks, FWIW.

One other point is that I have "bunionettes", little toe side bunions, and I read somewhere that underlapping toes are associated. I'm no foot doctor (!), but you might look up some basic facts about bunionettes, especially if the base of toe part of your foot sticks out a bit on the outsides (little toe sides). Best solution if you have any tendency there is to go for shoes that are "shaped like feet", not narrow, have a decently wide toe box (like the Merrells you're talking about).

Best of luck getting all of this to work out well for you!

Evil Eye
01-20-2010, 17:40
Was very successful with Injinji socks for toe issues during my thru.
Started with Merrell's and went to Montrail Hardrocks in Damascus. Now have Montrail Masochist. Hardrocks have been updated twice.
Also used green SuperFeet insoles - seem to be hard - but are very supportive after the first 10 or so miles in a day.
Best, most convenient shoe re-supply for me was Zappos.com - just ordered as needed replacements, then shipped a week ahead to a PO or hostel - Used 3 pair between Damascus and Mt. K.

Grampie
01-20-2010, 17:53
I hiked with several folks who wore trail runner type shoes. Some had a extra pair home to be sent to the trail when needed only to find out they didn't fit anymore because their feet changed.
Other folks had to replace foot wear after 500 or so miles only to discover that outfitters along the trail were sold out of what they wanted and had to settle for something else. It seams that everyones stuff wears out at the same point on the trail. Had the same problem with Pur filter cartridges.
I don't have the right answer, but consider what I said.:-?

Jack Tarlin
01-20-2010, 18:19
While some folks report that their feet stay the same size throughout and even after a thru-hike, this is not the case for a lot of people.

I have seen many cases of folks who found a shoe they really liked, bought 3 or 4 pairs ahead of time, and "broke in" all of them before they left, thinking that it'd be simple to have a replacement, already broken-in pair, sent to them at intervals of their trip.

What many of them discovered is that from constant pounding and swelling, their feet were considerably larger than when they started, and in truth, it doesn't take much of this swelling to increase your foot size to the point that you're easily a half-size bigger or larger just a few weeks into your trip.

What these folks ended up with then, was several pairs of shoes that were too small to hike in comfortably, and shoes that couldn't be returned or exchanged as they'd already been worn. And in some cases, people discovered at trip's end that their feet never "bounced back" to their original size, so they discovered they'd spent hundreds of dollars on footwear they were never able to wear.

In most cases, especially if we're talking about the lightweight boots or trail runners that most hikers wear these days, I think it makes more sense to replace your shoes while en route. With the lighter-weight shoes, even tho you're "breaking them in" while actually hiking, it works out fine.

leaftye
01-20-2010, 18:26
The only way I'd consider buying all my shoes ahead of time is if my training was identical to the real thing. This pretty much means doing section hikes within a very short time of each other, and possibly doing them with more weight and a faster pace than you might care to do on your thru-hike.

That said, I'm trying on different shoes and noting how they fit in a particular size. When I go to order shoes, I'll look at my old notes and consider how my current shoes are doing, and then I'll pick a new shoe and size to get shipped out to me.

Nean
01-20-2010, 18:40
I buy along the way.:)

wudhipy
01-20-2010, 18:52
Maybe it's the disposable culture or something, But a pair of properly maintained leather boots, saddle soap to keep the leather supple have lasted me for years. I'm planning on taking that route.;)

weary
01-20-2010, 19:52
Maybe it's the disposable culture or something, But a pair of properly maintained leather boots, saddle soap to keep the leather supple have lasted me for years. I'm planning on taking that route.;)
And you will continue to find that a wise route, I suspect. You'll walk with a few extra ounces on your feet. But you will escape numerous hours finding replacement boots, and worry about finding replacement boots.

We are in a consumer society. If something doesn't wear out in a few weeks, most seem to think that something must be wrong. Like you, I like to think that I've done something right.

Weary

sbhikes
01-23-2010, 13:36
I would try the trail runners out before you commit. I tried a two makes that everyone recommended and hated both. I tested several shoes and committed to the ones I liked the best. But even then, by the third month, my feet had grown once more and I had to get something else.

JustaTouron
01-23-2010, 14:17
Regarding shoe failure, I'm with Brian. Those who replace running shoes in less than 500 miles usually do so because the sole has lost its cushion. At 400 miles, the shoe hardly looks very worn at all, including the tread, but it has gone "flat". Put new shoes on then and they'll feel like bedroom slippers and you'll go "ahhh". But you can keep walking in them until they fall apart, which for me is usually over 750 miles. I plan my shoe resupplies for between 600 and 700 miles. I don't want to pay for new shoes more often than that, and my feet are usually tough enough by then to take the extra pounding.

I think you can add that to the same type of personal choice as spending money to buy pizza in town or eating another package or Ramon noodles.

You can hike the AT with a 15 lb canvas 1960s boy scout tent to avoid spending money on a light weight one or you can spend some money and have less weight on your back, which can mean a more enjoyable trip. I will spend the money to always have comfortable shoes vs ones that just work. But I haven't invested the money to replace my heavier cookset from when I was a boy scout for a lightweight titanium one (although I could afford to if I wanted to, just doesn't seem to be worth it.) For me comfortable shoes are the single most important thing when it comes to hiking; more important than pack design, pack weight, quaility of food, warmth of sleeping bag etc.

sbhikes
01-24-2010, 15:24
The trouble with boots is that I have never found a pair that are comfortable. By comfortable I mean wide enough, flexible enough and cushioned enough. And if my feet grew, I'd have to throw out perfectly good boots instead of worn out sneakers. It's also harder to modify boots than shoes, in case you have to do emergency mods.

BrianLe
01-24-2010, 16:16
"The trouble with boots is that I have never found a pair that are comfortable"

Certainly there are more troubles than that! :-) I.e., heavier, take forever to dry once wet, don't breathe as well (sauna micro-climate for feet), long break-in period, expensive for the more casual hiker ...

I certainly don't appreciate the "throw-away" nature of shoes; when I can, I convert my worn down shoes to use for dirty work projects in my back yard and the like. But as always, it's about trade-offs, and already living in such a throw-away society I'm not going to particularly draw the line when it involves so very much comfort and safety for my feet on the trail (yes, I know that a boot-advocate might find those words funny when applied to shoes ... :-) each to their own!).

sbhikes
01-24-2010, 18:45
Certainly there are more troubles than that! :-) I.e., heavier, take forever to dry once wet, don't breathe as well (sauna micro-climate for feet), long break-in period, expensive for the more casual hiker ...

I certainly don't appreciate the "throw-away" nature of shoes; when I can, I convert my worn down shoes to use for dirty work projects in my back yard and the like. But as always, it's about trade-offs, and already living in such a throw-away society I'm not going to particularly draw the line when it involves so very much comfort and safety for my feet on the trail (yes, I know that a boot-advocate might find those words funny when applied to shoes ... :-) each to their own!).

Well, yeah, there's all those other problems with boots, too. Of course, you can have some of those problems with goretex sneakers, too. Ewww! What an awful invention!

garlic08
01-24-2010, 19:46
...I certainly don't appreciate the "throw-away" nature of shoes;...

Same here. One way I found to "extend the life" of my trail runners is to carry a pair of Spenco padded insoles. The way I use shoes, the cushioning goes "flat" way before the shoe shows significant wear. I normally have Superfeet in my shoes and appreciate the support, but if I need to do some roadwalking (a big deal sometimes out West) or the shoes feel too flat late in their life, I replace the Superfeet with the Spenco and the shoes feel almost new again. I can get another 100 to 200 miles comfortably out of them that way, for $10 and a couple of ounces. Thanks to Mags for that idea.

Dogwood
01-24-2010, 20:45
Personally, my hiking shoes are probably the most critical piece of gear that I'm not willing to compromise on. I think it more critical, for me, to select hiking shoes and dialing them in than any others single peice of hiking gear I own. After all, even if I have the latest greatest SUL most expensive tricked out blah blah blah pack, shelter, sleeping bag, cook system, rain jacket, etc, HIKING BEGINS WHEN YOUR FEET HIT THE TRAIL. Feet start having issues you are having hiking issues.

Merrel and NB trailrunners tend to NOT need any breakin. In that respect they are good to go out of the box.

Your feet will most likely get bigger as you progress on a 2200 + mile hiking trek. In other words, the shoes you are comfortable hiking in when you start out may not be so comfortable further on. Typically, feet grow about 1/2 to 1 size larger as they swell. However, there is some differences between brands and models.

If the shoes you like are common and your shoe size is avg you may be able to find them at an outfitter or shoe store along the AT. If you already understand your footwear needs you will have ample opportunity to order hiking shoes online and have then shipped to you somewhere on the trail. Another possible option is to buy two different size shoes now and consider those slightly larger shoes to be used for the later part of your hike and the smaller size for your start. I often do this. When I take this approach I buy from a company that allows me to return UNUSED shoes. Just be aware that when you size your shoes what socks will be on your feet when hiking. Socks can make a difference in hiking shoe size comfortability.

Don't under estimate how important well fitting shoes appropriate for the activity can be! And, don't under estimate the role that socks and after market orthotics can be!

Johnny Appleseed
01-25-2010, 01:13
do not try to get to NY on your first pair. My feet hurt. Then the selection was poor as I had to push the purchase situation. If you plan it out, ok.

sbhikes
01-25-2010, 17:32
I've got a hypothesis that shoes are actually the most overrated tool of the hike. I mean, I think the reason they are so difficult to get right is because few are designed well at all. All of my foot problems were caused by my shoes and all of my shoes caused me some kind of problem. I think you could probably do well enough hiking in a pair of crocs, chacos/tevas or maybe even flip-flops. I met people on the PCT wearing all of these, even the flip flops. I think I'm going to test hiking in crocs.

weary
01-25-2010, 18:24
I've got a hypothesis that shoes are actually the most overrated tool of the hike. I mean, I think the reason they are so difficult to get right is because few are designed well at all. All of my foot problems were caused by my shoes and all of my shoes caused me some kind of problem. I think you could probably do well enough hiking in a pair of crocs, chacos/tevas or maybe even flip-flops. I met people on the PCT wearing all of these, even the flip flops. I think I'm going to test hiking in crocs.
Test whatever. It's just science. But I doubt if you'll be happy on the really tough trail sections. But I should confess -- after all my promotion of sturdy hiking boots and sturdy work boots -- that when my everyday Dexters wore out a few months ago, I bought a pair of all leather New Balance shoes to replace them. It was all the local store had.

Anyway, my new favorite shoe is the all leather New Balance 965. I haven't done any long distance hiking with this shoe, but they have many hours of trail work behind them and appear as good as ever. Well a bit battered, but undeteriorated.

On my postal scale each shoe (size 15) weighs 1 pound, 7 ounces -- or a bit under 3 pounds for the pair. I'm sure that is somewhere between the nearly six pound pair of Dexter hiking boots that I started the trail with in 1993, and the ultra light sandals so many seem to prefer today.

I'd like to hear from ultra lighters about the realistic weight comparisons between my version of New Balance, and those versions they think appropriate for a thru hike.

If I'm ever, physically, mentally, emotionally, and with health apparatus stuff able, and have the time, to do another long distance hike, I'll report my findings. In the meantime, I'd welcome your comments.

Weary

Johnny Appleseed
01-25-2010, 19:13
vasque. expensive, but purely awesome.

Dogwood
01-25-2010, 19:39
There is much thought, testing, and engineering in shoes. Add to that new construction methods and materials and it's hard to say hiking shoes are not designed well. What I will say is that shoes are designed for the masses, the avg person, whatever that means. Foot issues can easily start developing when you don't have avg type feet and/or one doesn't find appropriate shoes for the activity! That's what I find.

I sometimes will hike in Keen sandals. When I do it's w/ a more protective sandal(w/ arch support, a cushioning shock absorbing sole, and firm attachement), on established wide level tread(like much of the AT), and always w/ an UL kit. Everytime I've noticed folks hiking day after day in just sandals I notice much the same. Hikers that try breaking that mold I always notice having foot, ankle, joint, muscle, back, etc problems.

Spot In The Sky
01-29-2010, 12:41
Ive got a bad right ankle and have found many times while hiking in my boots during summer season that my ankle was spared from a break or sprain strictly because of my boots- is it a terrible idea to wear my boots during the summer months? Ive got Asolo 520's which arent the lighest, but i find they breathe pretty well and are very comfortable.
If you only carry one pair of shoes/boots during the hike, at what point do you switch from shoe to boot or vice versa?

Chillfactor
02-06-2010, 16:25
vasque. expensive, but purely awesome.

Vasques seem to fit well because of the narrow heel. I have the low cut Breeze and I know it's !/2 size small. I plan on getting the gortex Breeze boot and know it's a bit heavy and not pliable but gives me lots of support. And, nothing else fits. I have Montrail Hardrock 08s, comfortable for sure, but the soles won't last long on the trail.
Question: Do you buy a half size or full size larger as a rule to allow for swelling and downhill movement? The sales people frown when I ask for bigger sizes.
Any experience with Bora?

Appalachian Tater
02-06-2010, 16:42
Different feet react differently to long distance hiking, even different trails with different terrain and surfaces. Don't buy shoes ahead of time unless you have enough experience to know how your feet will do. There are plenty of places to buy shoes online that will deliver them to you fast. A lot of NOBOers have to replace their footwear in Neels Gap even and it's not because they wore their shoes out or their feet changed sizes.

Even with the same pair of shoes you can use different lacing techniques and socks and sock liners to change the way they work with your feet. I tend to tie my shoes tightly but found that when hiking I do much better if I don't cinch them down so hard over the middle of my foot so there is a little room left in there. Sometimes something simple like skipping a pair of holes when lacing makes a huge difference.

Jester2000
02-06-2010, 17:27
And you will continue to find that a wise route, I suspect. You'll walk with a few extra ounces on your feet. But you will escape numerous hours finding replacement boots, and worry about finding replacement boots.

We are in a consumer society. If something doesn't wear out in a few weeks, most seem to think that something must be wrong. Like you, I like to think that I've done something right.

Weary

I wore out a very nice pair of Vasque boots on my thru-hike. I kind of wish I hadn't put them through that kind of abuse. I'd probably still be wearing them on weekends today.

m_factor
02-07-2010, 15:49
"The pounding long-distance hikers put on their feet in a few months is similar to the wear and tear most people put on their feet over many years. As you age, the connective tissue in your feet loosens and your feet tend to get wider and longer. Depending on your physiology, this can happen in a relatively short period of time on the trail. Your weight and foot length can also be indicators of what to expect. Heavier people and longer footed people can expect greater change."

You can read more about this on my web site at http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor/footchange.html .

Needless to say, I recommend not buying extra shoes in advance. And, if you're going in trail shoes or sneakers, you don't need to break them in in advance. They'll break in fast enough on the trail.

Also, I wouldn't go to a heavy boot to avoid buying more footwear. A pound on your feet is like six on your back. That's wear and tear on your body, legs, and feet. It can also slow you down quite a bit, too. Going from five pound boots to three pound boots and I sped up half a mile an hour without realizing it. There's a link to my hiking boots vs trail shoes page from the above page as well.

Hope this helps,

Mara
Stitches, AT99

Hatfield
02-17-2010, 13:23
NEW BALANCE run wide, is your foot wide?

leaftye
02-17-2010, 13:37
Needless to say, I recommend not buying extra shoes in advance. And, if you're going in trail shoes or sneakers, you don't need to break them in in advance. They'll break in fast enough on the trail.

Agreed. Plus unless you've already done lots of training miles and you've seen your feet grow and stop growing, then buying shoes early may end up being a waste of money.

Also, I wouldn't go to a heavy boot to avoid buying more footwear.

Agreed again. Wear whatever is comfortable for you. Lightweight shoes are not comfortable for everyone. Boots are not comfortable for everyone. The best way is to find the best fitting footwear in the store that you can find, and then do a lot of training miles on them.