PDA

View Full Version : heinekin (sp?) pot?

David@whiteblaze
01-19-2010, 14:53
where can I find instructions on how to make one?

Hooch
01-19-2010, 14:55
Easy enough. Get a can o' Heineken (remember, you're a minor), get a safety can opener and cut the top off. Dispose of the contents, wash it out and voila': One brand new Heineken Pot. The end.

climber2377
01-19-2010, 15:15
several size cans are available. 12 ounce cans boil one cup and is fairly well marked. the top ridge is about a cup. the 24 ounce holds 2 cups comfortably at the same marking. the top of the bottom ridge in a 24 ounce is about 1 cup.

Hooch
01-19-2010, 15:20
For the "traditional" Heineken pot, use a 24oz can.

David@whiteblaze
01-19-2010, 16:08
Easy enough. Get a can o' Heineken (remember, you're a minor), get a safety can opener and cut the top off. Dispose of the contents, wash it out and voila': One brand new Heineken Pot. The end.
sweet... that's easy enough... the reason I need one is because my mom wants me to do a project for the homeless making alky stoves and cookware, so they should be able to find plenty....

Spokes
01-19-2010, 17:17
sweet... that's easy enough... the reason I need one is because my mom wants me to do a project for the homeless making alky stoves and cookware, so they should be able to find plenty....

YIKES! You might want to notify your local fire department........

Shiraz-mataz
01-20-2010, 10:53
Speaking of Heinekin cans... I was in the liquor store the other day and they had these HUGE Heiny cans! Just a little smaller than a pony keg. The wheels started turning in my head and I had visions of making a Heinekin dutch oven!

RollingStone
01-20-2010, 14:07
Speaking of Heinekin cans... I was in the liquor store the other day and they had these HUGE Heiny cans! Just a little smaller than a pony keg. The wheels started turning in my head and I had visions of making a Heinekin dutch oven!

I wouldn't recommend that. The liner in the can will burn off. They work ok for liquids but that liner will burn off when exposed to overheating.

Shiraz-mataz
01-20-2010, 14:22
I wouldn't recommend that. The liner in the can will burn off. They work ok for liquids but that liner will burn off when exposed to overheating.

I was just daydreamin', in awe at the shear size of the can - literally about 3X the size but proportionally the same as the regular can. No, you wouldn't want to run ANY of these thin-walled can stoves dry. Gotta tell you though, I want to make SOMETHING out of 'em!

Foyt20
01-20-2010, 14:51

Did it have the green top and the tap? Its so you can have fresh tapped heiney at home in your fridge.

Personally, I cant stand the taste of Heineken at all. Bath water in a green bottle to me.

cphobes
01-20-2010, 15:10
I was just daydreamin', in awe at the shear size of the can - literally about 3X the size but proportionally the same as the regular can. No, you wouldn't want to run ANY of these thin-walled can stoves dry. Gotta tell you though, I want to make SOMETHING out of 'em!

Tinny at minibulldesigns.com made a wood stove out of two of them. Called it the hooch heater, pretty funny stuff though certainly not something for backpacking.

I'm sure there's a million other ideas floating about on what to do with them.

-Stephen

Chaco Taco
01-28-2010, 10:46
So what about making a top for the Heine pot? Get another can and cut the bottom?

Skidsteer
01-28-2010, 11:15
So what about making a top for the Heine pot? Get another can and cut the bottom?

That will work, but if you use the safety can opener:

http://zenstoves.net/Supplies/SaftyCanOpener.jpg

You can use the original top of the can as the lid.

Chaco Taco
01-28-2010, 11:19
That will work, but if you use the safety can opener:

http://zenstoves.net/Supplies/SaftyCanOpener.jpg

You can use the original top of the can as the lid.

Cool...will try it out and see how I like it

Hooch
01-28-2010, 11:30
Cool...will try it out and see how I like itI have en extra one around here some where. You want it? Yours for free.

mister krabs
01-28-2010, 11:41
also consider the jess lid and the hershey's syrup lid, you can find them with a search of the archives.

Pokey2006
01-28-2010, 13:51
For a top, I took a Beefaroni cup, one of those microwaveable one-serving sizes, and covered it with heat-resistant tape. Fits on top perfectly, and can also be used as a coffee mug.

The heat-resistant tape is also good for covering up any sharp edges left by cutting off the top. I didn't use a safety cutter, just a P-38.

David@whiteblaze
01-30-2010, 16:49
Made/got one, cook set is now complete...

jesse
01-30-2010, 16:54

What are they going to do with them?

David@whiteblaze
01-30-2010, 17:24
I personally have no idea... they give out free canned goods at a homeless shelter... so i suppose blow up cans of beans?