PDA

View Full Version : Hike planning

kayak karl
01-19-2010, 15:04
i was at the ruck and talking on the deck about up coming hikes. comment was made there is no planning, just grap the pack and go. 3 days, 3 weeks,3 months or longer no problem.:) Who else is at this point???

Mountain Wildman
01-19-2010, 15:09
I suppose that is one way to do it, Grab and go
I prefer to plan noting that:
If you fail to plan, plan to fail.

Yahtzee
01-19-2010, 16:00
I plan but only because the only thing I like doing more than hiking is planning to hike. Of course, I never stick to them. I mean NEVER. What fun would that be? My partners and I would come up with a new plan every break. It's just fun to talk about what you think you might do. And along the way, you learn some things that have come up in the planning.

"Plans are useless, planning is indispensable." DDE

fredmugs
01-19-2010, 16:25
Nothing but planning for me until I have hiked every mile.

jersey joe
01-19-2010, 16:27
I agree Yahtzee, Planning a hike is fun for me too.

Slo-go'en
01-19-2010, 18:36
The only thing I plan is when and were to start hiking and maybe put a little thought into what will go into the pack for that trip.

Mags
01-19-2010, 18:42
For most trails, I am at the point of give me a map, my gear and five days of food and I am good to go. :)

It is a bit of an exaggeration but not much.

When I did the BMT this past February, I was able to plan and go on the hike in less than four days IIRC. Not bad. The TRT and my San Juans trek (Molas - Wolf Creek Pass) were both done at a similar planning pace.

kayak karl
01-19-2010, 19:02
i know trail planning is fun, but are yous still obsessed about gear planning??

Yahtzee
01-19-2010, 19:20

Oh, no. I could and would head out with no planning as long as I had a map. It's just fun to do. As for my gear, my gear is the gear I am using at the time I go.

Red Hat
01-19-2010, 19:25
Nope, not obsessing, but I grab all the gear out of my shed, go through and put it in three piles (need, maybe, no way) Then I put all the need in my pack and go. Sometimes I find I'm missing something (like this weekend when my Montbell jacket wasnt in the pack like I thought), but most of the time it's just right. (stop at a store and fill that food bag with 3-5 days worth) easy peasy

Hooch
01-19-2010, 19:33
I don't mind a bit to take an overnighter on a whim. I did it a few times last year and had a blast. For more than an overnighter, I find that planning is part of the fun. I feel like a kid at Christmastime with the anticipation and excitement that comes along with it. Already planning three hikes for the spring and I can't wait for them already! :banana

Chaco Taco
01-19-2010, 19:38
I don't mind a bit to take an overnighter on a whim. I did it a few times last year and had a blast. For more than an overnighter, I find that planning is part of the fun. I feel like a kid at Christmastime with the anticipation and excitement that comes along with it. Already planning three hikes for the spring and I can't wait for them already! :banana

Yea here is Hooch at work requesting time off of work to go hike
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a279/Panimaniac/1420737746_m.gif

Hooch
01-19-2010, 19:41
Yea here is Hooch at work requesting time off of work to go hike
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a279/Panimaniac/1420737746_m.gif
How'd you get that video? :rolleyes::D

Blissful
01-19-2010, 19:43
I like to plan too = esp when it comes to supplies, gear, money, homefront, job etc. As far as when and where I go each day once I get on the trail, its one day at a time.

Mags
01-19-2010, 19:47

Generally (not always) the more people go outdoors, the less gear is discussed.

kayak karl
01-19-2010, 19:47
How'd you get that video? :rolleyes::D
so that's what kept waking me up??? :D

Hooch
01-19-2010, 19:54
so that's what kept waking me up??? :DUh, nope. That was me stumbling to the cooler for more Firefly, lemonade and Sprite, stir with a stick and back inside Cabin C. Repeat.

Spirit Walker
01-19-2010, 20:32
I enjoy planning hikes, which means reading guidebooks and looking at maps and figuring out resupply points. Anticipating is a lot of the fun for me.

Gear is not a big deal; it never was. I use what I have and replace an item only if it becomes unusable. I'm too cheap to buy something just because it's new and improved. AT hikers focus on gear because it is one of the few things they have some control over before they hit the trail. You can't accurately predict weather, injury, companions, attitude, etc. Those things you have to just deal with as they come up. You can do physical training, but even that has its limits.

Spirit Walker
01-19-2010, 20:35
For short trips we just pack up and go.

paradoxb3
01-20-2010, 13:47
I suppose that is one way to do it, Grab and go
I prefer to plan noting that:
If you fail to plan, plan to fail.

its a good motivational calendar/poster quote, but i've never really thought that hiking plays by "office rules." :D

i think its perfectly reasonable to grab your pack and just go with only minimal planning. obviously you have to know where you're starting, ending, and how many days to pack for, but otherwise theres no reason to stress about pre-planning where to camp every night, every creek you plan to get water from, or what meals you're going to eat and in what order...

and even though its not truly necessary, we all still do it sometimes dont we? and everyone here knows that when you plan a hike like that, you'll have already changed the plan after day 1. if anything, planning just keeps your mind on what you're doing, so when things go differently you know how to adapt to suit your current needs, rather than throwing your hands up in the air and saying "WHAT DO I DO NOW?!?!"

58starter
01-20-2010, 14:43
I keep 2 sets of gear handy all the time and another set for my wife. I am ready to go for 3-5 days anytime. All I need to pack is food and water. I plan my next trip all the time.