PDA

View Full Version : Planning to begin section hiking the AT - how am I doing so far?

Matty427
01-19-2010, 21:26
This year I've decided to start Section Hiking the AT. I grew up in PA very near the trail and spend some time day hiking different parts of it and other trails nearby. That was before college and career came and I haven't been on a real trail in about 8 years (except in my Jeep). Living in North Carolina now and missing the woods.

I'm a teacher, so every summer I plan to take 3 weeks or so out and start knocking out as many miles as I can until next summer. I've never done overnight hiking, but feel comfortable with the idea (and excited)

I'm going to be leaving in early June and hoping to start at the Southern Terminus and working up as far as I can go. I'm looking for advice as to what I should be planning etc...

Currently I'm making a list of what gear I'm going to need. Researching packs and I've narrowed it down to one or two that I'm happy with and will be purchasing that first. I know a lot of people are of the mind that I should buy a pack based on my gear, but right now, I don't have any gear. I'm looking at the Osprey Aether 70 to start with. I've got other gear picked out and will start picking things up soon (waiting on that tax return and the new home buyer tax credit)

What comes next though? I'm going through my AT Thru-Hiker Companion and starting to work out an itinerary for what shelters I'll be staying at, mail drops etc...

Is there anything else I should be considering at this point in the game? I don't want it to be May and I'm just realizing everything else I've been neglecting.

Thanks for the input! Looking forward to becoming a part of the White Blaze Community!

Hooch
01-19-2010, 21:45
Matty, welcome back to the hiking world. Looks like those summers off will serve you well to get a good hike in every year. Get your miles in when you can. I'm a nurse and work 3 days a week, so I go when I can, as often as I can.

That said, don't jump the gun on your pack purchase, definitely buy your gear first. It's good that you know what packs you're interested in, but if you buy it and it's too big, then you're more likely to throw in stuff you don't need just to fill the pack. Then you wind up with a heavy pack. On the other end of the spectrum, if your pack is too small to fit all your gear in, you've got a useless pack. Get your gear first, then get your pack. you'll be much better off doing this in the long run.

Cabin Fever
01-19-2010, 21:47
I haven't been on a real trail in about 8 years (except in my Jeep).

I'm looking at the Osprey Aether 70 to start with.

Welcome! First sentence is blasphemy. Second is too big.

Matty427
01-19-2010, 21:50
Matty, welcome back to the hiking world. Looks like those summers off will serve you well to get a good hike in every year. Get your miles in when you can. I'm a nurse and work 3 days a week, so I go when I can, as often as I can.

That said, don't jump the gun on your pack purchase, definitely buy your gear first. It's good that you know what packs you're interested in, but if you buy it and it's too big, then you're more likely to throw in stuff you don't need just to fill the pack. Then you wind up with a heavy pack. On the other end of the spectrum, if your pack is too small to fit all your gear in, you've got a useless pack. Get your gear first, then get your pack. you'll be much better off doing this in the long run.

The more I think about it - the more I'm leaning towards waiting on the pack like you suggest. It's the most exciting thing for me to buy and I wanted to start getting used to having it on my back. Maybe I'll start with a decent pair of boots first and start breaking them in. Thanks!

I should qualify - I've only had my Jeep on trails designated for off road vehicles - placed like Paragon Adventure Park and Rausch Creek in PA.

Matty427
01-19-2010, 21:53

What size would you recommend?

Hooch
01-19-2010, 21:59
The more I think about it - the more I'm leaning towards waiting on the pack like you suggest. It's the most exciting thing for me to buy and I wanted to start getting used to having it on my back. Maybe I'll start with a decent pair of boots first and start breaking them in. Thanks!Starting with boots/shoes isn't a bad idea at all. Just don't get temped to wear them everywhere and wear them out before you're ready for that first trip. Maybe start looking at other parts of your big 4 to start with as well, shelter, sleeping bag, sleeping mat, etc. You've got an REI right there in Cary and aren't too far from 3 of the best outfitters on the Trail, Mountain Corssings at Neel Gap, GA, Bluff Mountain Outfitters in Hot Springs, NC and Mount Rogers Outfitters in Damascus, VA. Those might be good places to take a weekend trip to for some gear purchases as well.

srestrepo
01-19-2010, 22:00
hey matty, welcome to whiteblaze.

as the proud owner of a pack that is 75 liter, with a 15 liter extension collar, i know a thing or two about jumping the gun on getting a pack because its a great deal or because i was too impulsive to do research. but you my friend, have come to the right place.

set yourself up so that you have a lot of time one day and read the pros and cons of everything. and by everything i mean make a list of the things that you're looking to purchase, from socks to cooksets and from sleeping pads to raingear.

i dont want to be long winded about gear. i love gear. i read about gear at every given opportunity. i know more about gear than i'll need to know. and i keep myself updated on the latest gear trends, material fabrics. i'm not bragging. i'm proclaiming my love for gear. i have more stuff than i'll ever use. and that is a problem.

i'll refer you to the following thread:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57557

the guy above posted a link about the gear that he USED as opposed to the gear that he WANTED. this should help you get started in some kind of direction.

i will say this, gear opinions are as varied as there are personalities on the AT.

not one person is right, but there are many opinions that are unfounded and might even be detrimental to your experience. definitely do your homework and do not be afraid to ask questions. doing what works best for you will ALWAYS work out best. just know that we're all just here to help.

best of luck!

Hooch
01-19-2010, 22:00
What size would you recommend?Most folks can get away with a 60 liter pack or less. I give a heavy recommendeation to ULA packs. I use a Catalyst and am getting a Circuit.

srestrepo
01-19-2010, 22:01
oh and if what you're looking for is a gear list, dont be afraid to ask for one.. i've got one i'll share if you want.

srestrepo
01-19-2010, 22:01
+1 on the circuit by the way

Cabin Fever
01-19-2010, 22:02
What size would you recommend?

I would not go bigger than the Aether 60. The Osprey Atmos series is pretty good too. You live in Raleigh. Go to REI. Travelling to an outfitter as far as Damascus or Hot Springs is not worth it.

Hooch
01-19-2010, 22:03
oh and if what you're looking for is a gear list, dont be afraid to ask for one.. i've got one i'll share if you want.Ditto. Happy to share.

Matty427
01-19-2010, 22:11
Wow thanks everyone! I was actually dissuaded from the smaller bags I was looking at by a friend who used to work for EMS. I guess I'll get my gear first and go from there to see how much room I need.

I appreciate the input on gear lists. I'm actually working on mine now and will post up when I'm done to see what you guys think and to see what kind of input you have. I'm such a gadget guy that I'm going to have a hard time seeing through the novelty of a lot of stuff out there, but using this site and others as a resource has been a great help.

How many miles do you think I can estimate per day? I'm thinking 10 per day would be fair as I'm getting into things, but the June heat in GA is a little worrisome.

bigcranky
01-19-2010, 22:12
The Aether 60 is plenty -- I used it for a winter pack for awhile. But there are other choices.

If I were in your position, I would plan a couple of overnight weekend hikes this spring. Late April or early May are good. Then I would plan a day trip in Damascus, VA, in March, and spend some time in the two hiking outfitters there. They specialize in AT hiking. You'll get to see high quality, lightweight gear that you won't find at the local REI.

And ask around on this list. Check the front page of WB for gear lists and ideas. Have fun, plan well, and enjoy the trail.

Hooch
01-19-2010, 22:15
Travelling to an outfitter as far as Damascus or Hot Springs is not worth it.Gotta respectfully disagree. Going to small, locally owned outfitters like BMO, MRO and MTX do a couple things. First, it gets you near the trail if you don't live close and is the perfect opportunity for day hikes. Hot Springs and Damascus are both great places to go for a weekend getaway. Why not hit up some of the best outfitters on the trail while you're there? Second, it gets you the expertise that these outfitters have. They're owned and run by hikers. They employ hikers. They bring a wealth of expertise not always found at big box stores. Folks like Dave at MRO, Winton, Alpine, Cool Breeze, and their crew at MTX and Daniel and Wayne at BMO know hikers and they know gear. They know what AT hikers specifically need. Third, it lets you experience a little of trail culture while you're there. Granted, it's only for a period of time, but if you go places like these, you'll learn a lot.

I'm not dissing REI, I shop there as well from time to time. But if you're up around places like MRO, BMO or MTS, they're worth a stop.

srestrepo
01-19-2010, 22:23
yea up here in the north, we dont have as many outfitters like mountain crossings, but we certainly have our fair share... nothing like going in there and having someone talk you out of buying something you dont really need like the primus micron canister stove lantern. i went behind the guys back and bought it anyway. its been 6 months and haven't used it twice. its really helpful to have someone rationalize your purchases vs. having some pimply city kid read through a list of specs that a product comes with with no idea of what he's saying... smaller outfitters with experienced hikers are the way to go. and are definitely worth the trip.

Connie
01-19-2010, 22:34
40 Liters (2440 cu in) to 50 Liters (3050 cu in ) tops. Okay to have added capacity from exterior pockets, and zip pockets or pouches built-in on the hip belt. Maybe a stretch pocket on the backpack back for a wet tarp or wet tent.

Others may carry more, but why? Ask them. Winter bulky gear maybe?

You already know you like hiking and you have an income.

Look for the best gear for the purpose.

Do you want heavy gear? Are you hiking for "body building"?

Are you hiking for camping? Just to "get outdoors"?

Are you hiking to enjoy the fresh air and the expansive views? Exploring side trails?

Are you hiking to support your landscape photography hobby?

The equipment you will want to have relies a lot on intended "use".

I really like you are starting with your "hikers". Take care of your feet first.

fredmugs
01-20-2010, 10:02
I am 1,580 miles into my section hiking journey and, honestly, I am not a gear head and have learned a lot of things the hard way. Since you plan to do your hiking during the summer I would suggest considering the following:

1. Ditch the hiking boots. I have never found a pair of hiking boots that fit the front part of my feet and that includes going to professional boot fitters. I hike in cross trainers and I keep seeing more and more people out there with trail runners. My blister problems have gone away, the stress problems have gone away, and I feel lighter and quicker.

2. Get a hammock. It will already be warm so getting under quilts and all that other stuff will be unnecessary.

3. Pack fit (in my opinion) is WAY more important than pack size. As you progress through different regions you will bring different stuff with you. Don't be concerned with making a trip will your pack only 75% full. When I have extra room I bring extra socks. The best pack I own I bought at Sam's Club for $48.

4. Mail drops. I don't know what your plans are concerning transportation but you may have opportunities to leave mail drop at hostels as you are driving to your start point. If you mail yourself a package to a post office they will forward it to another post office for free (at least they used to) so make sure you have the phone number with you.

I'm not going to comment on how many miles you can do a day but if you are in any kind of shape you should be able to do way more than 10 miles a day. Hot Springs is 272 miles from Springer and you should be able to get there in 3 weeks no problem.

Raul Perez
01-20-2010, 10:46
Matty I second on the gear list. I recently got my gear down from 60lbs to 30lbs for a 5 day trip. I'd be happy to send you my list so you can see what I bring on multi-day trips. I'm not ultra-light as there are a few corners I just dont want to cut for personal comfort. But I'm on my way to lightweight.

Main thing that got me to where I am now is getting a postal scale for $20 at officemax.

PM me and I'll email you my list

Cabin Fever
01-20-2010, 12:48
Gotta respectfully disagree. Going to small, locally owned outfitters like BMO, MRO and MTX do a couple things. First, it gets you near the trail if you don't live close and is the perfect opportunity for day hikes. Hot Springs and Damascus are both great places to go for a weekend getaway. Why not hit up some of the best outfitters on the trail while you're there? Second, it gets you the expertise that these outfitters have. They're owned and run by hikers. They employ hikers. They bring a wealth of expertise not always found at big box stores. Folks like Dave at MRO, Winton, Alpine, Cool Breeze, and their crew at MTX and Daniel and Wayne at BMO know hikers and they know gear. They know what AT hikers specifically need. Third, it lets you experience a little of trail culture while you're there. Granted, it's only for a period of time, but if you go places like these, you'll learn a lot.

I'm not dissing REI, I shop there as well from time to time. But if you're up around places like MRO, BMO or MTS, they're worth a stop.

All I am saying is that I am self-taught in the gear world. I am running pretty light and I am very happy with my set up. I never made any special trips to outfitters just to get taught. However, if I wanted to, I do live a little over an hour from Damascus or Hot Springs. From a financial perspective, a special trip to an outfitter is a sizable investment considering higher prices and the cost going there. I don't want to get into local shops vs. online, but if you are buying a lot of gear, it can add up fast.

steve43
01-20-2010, 13:21
matty.... i'm a teacher too, and pretty much follow the same idea of hiking every summer. hiking in the summer allows me to go pretty light. most of my 60 liter pack is filled with food, and over the years i have yet really regret not having a larger pack so i could bring something. i agree with a previous poster who said to bring a hammock. in the summer you don't need an under quilt, and it allows you to camp almost anywhere there's two trees.
the only thing i'd say to avoid imho is an intinerary. just walk....eat when you get hungry...rest when you get tired....and set up camp where ever you find a nice spot for the night. i'm one of those hikers that walks slow and then slows down. i figure i only have two weeks or so to enjoy the trail so i'm going to savor every step.

fifo

Rick500
01-20-2010, 14:55
I'm in much the same situation -- just decided a few weeks ago that I'm going to section hike the AT. I don't have any gear to speak of, so have to acquire everything.

I too was looking at the Aether 70 at first, but I made a trip to the local outfitter here (who are very helpful) and was steered toward something smaller like the Exos 58. He suggested I come back when I have some more time and we'd load up a few different packs so I could walk around with them and see how they felt. I plan to do that next weekend. I am definitely looking only at models smaller than the Aether 70 now though.