PDA

View Full Version : What kind of Alc. Stove do you use?

jnl82381
01-20-2010, 16:05
So here is another thread having to do with stoves for the trail.... but before you jump on me and tell me i should have searched the forum and fond my answer instead of creating a new thread....

I did search and I think i have a unique question.

So, i realize that most thru hikers prefer the alc. stoves and if they didn't start with them, they usually finish with them. I learned how to make them about 8 years ago and LOVE them. however, there are many different kinds.

I'm wondering what type is most common among thru hikers?

There is something to be said for simplicity in anything. the more parts you have the more likely something will break or wont work right. That being said, the simplest design would be a no pressure stove, basically some sort of cup that will hold the alc. while it's burning. Boil times would be longer and possibly more fuel needed.

A low pressure stoves are what I use now and have had good luck with it everywhere from the desert southwest, New England, even used it in Iraq. They are fairly easy to make, harder if you use an internal priming one. Boil times are on the lower end but most require a pot stand. no big deal, but, but it's one more thing that can get bent or broken.

Higher pressure stoves, I've just started researching and experimenting with. I like the idea but haven;t found one I love yet. Mostly because they all require external priming.

The mix between the two which I See as a compromise would be the Cat stove which is internal priming no pressure stove until the pot is rested on top creating a low/high pressure effect depending on the size of the holes drilled in the side.

I know there are a lot of other stovers out there, so please, let me know what your experiences are on the trail, what you've seen, and what's worked best for you.

Thanks.

SGT Rock
01-20-2010, 16:10
Ion stove.

Kerosene
01-20-2010, 16:20
The first generation StarLyte by Zelph Stove Works (before he had sufficient volume to adopt the "Works" label!). Here's a description (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/zelph_ss_starlyte_ultralyte_alcohol_stove.html) of the second generation model, which features a no-spill wick and decent boil times, although not as efficient as the Sgt. Rock's Ion.

Raul Perez
01-20-2010, 16:21
Minibull Bongo CAB

Red Beard
01-20-2010, 16:26
I really like using my PackaFeather XL (http://www.packafeather.com/xlstove.html). It allows for flame height adjustment while you are cooking. Although, it can burn things (quickly) if you have it turned up really high, and don't stir near the middle of the pot.

AUhiker90
01-21-2010, 20:50
The Etowah II stove is excellent and the alluminum pot holders will keep water boiling for a little bit after the fuel is out which is very nice.

Connie
01-21-2010, 21:16
zelph Super Stove in alcohol model, or in white gas model, with a cone from zelph

1 oz.

I carry both, so I got it covered.

. . .

Seeker
01-21-2010, 21:21
Ion if i was really pinching pennies for fuel and weight.

Supercat for GP. it's just too simple, and needs no stand.

Username75
01-22-2010, 03:45
usualy a Jiffy Heet, or a simon Stove

Hikes in Rain
01-22-2010, 07:24
Cat stove. Perhaps when I have a little more free time, I'll start experimenting with others. Unless I use that free time to go hiking.

moytoy
01-22-2010, 07:54
I have used a penny stove for at least 10 years. I have built copies of about every stove that has been designed but I just keep going back to the penny.
I think you develope cooking skills for whatever stove you use.

moytoy
01-22-2010, 07:57
develop ..yikes..happy fingers

DAKS
01-22-2010, 09:38
basically a cat stove, but it's actually made from a small potted meat can. i use a paper hole punch and make two rows of holes just under the rim of the can. prolly' not the most efficient stove, but i don't cook all that much.

Bags4266
01-22-2010, 09:41
basically a cat stove, but it's actually made from a small potted meat can. i use a paper hole punch and make two rows of holes just under the rim of the can. prolly' not the most efficient stove, but i don't cook all that much.

x2, although I tinker using alot of Zelph's ideas. Nothing beat's its simplicity and cost.

BrianLe
01-22-2010, 14:50
I started with a Brasslite Turbo IID (http://brasslite.com/OrderForms/turbo2DOrder.html) then switched to a Fancy Feast (catfood) can (http://www.andrewskurka.com/advice/technique/fancyfeaststove.php) and now will be using a Caldera UL Compact (http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=129&osCsid=30bc8bfcda82cabec2b282f22caef15d) with MLD 850 Ti mug/pot

All are good choices really; you can simmer with the brasslite, but I almost never do. Brasslite held up well throughout a PCT thru-hike; simmer ring is a bit loose now, but it still works fine.

The fancy feast is the cheapest (virtually free), lighter than the brasslite, and dead simple both to make and to use, seems as efficient at just heating water as the brasslite.

I've just switched to the Caldera UL Compact, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to be happy with this for the combination of lowest total system weight, lowest bulk, most efficient stove (system), and how well it will perform in windy conditions.

Mountain Wildman
01-22-2010, 16:21
Caldera Cone System for Snow Peak Trek 700

srestrepo
01-22-2010, 16:44
i made my own super cat stove... it was my first in a line of DIY projects. it works ok, probably not as good as i would expect but i'm sure that i built it wrong...

Medic!
01-26-2010, 12:05
I use a Pepsi can stove, adapted from this design on YouTube- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRt8mNOP2b0 The dimensions in this video are incorrect, however and I modified them to work more efficiently.

medicjimr
01-26-2010, 13:31
Cat Stove and havent looked back

Jester2000
01-26-2010, 13:37
The Etowah II stove is excellent and the alluminum pot holders will keep water boiling for a little bit after the fuel is out which is very nice.

I second this on the Etowah II. Used it on the PCT. Simple, easy, efficient for what it is. And should you damage the stove, the pot holders will fit on a Dole Pineapple can.

Caldera Cone is a neat design, and I'm expecting to see more of them on the trail this year.

Tinker
01-26-2010, 13:49
Supercat - simple to make, super light, and FREE!
http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2114782460059664855RxwVCk

Ender
01-26-2010, 13:57
I still use an old design... it works perfectly, so I've never had to try another newer design. I'm using Scott Henderson's Pepsi Stove design... not even his updated Pepsi-G stove. But it works perfectly for me, so I've never bothered with anything new.

sbhikes
01-27-2010, 10:41
I use a modification of this one:
Mini Zen Chimney/Sideburner Stove (http://zenstoves.net/LowPressure.htm)

Instead of the perfect and pretty hole on top, I used the drink hole on top. I used a hole punch that jammed and tore the holes to make them extra ugly. I said "F- it" when that happened, but went ahead and completed it, tried it out, and when it worked perfectly--no pot stand needed--I decided to use it.

I used an Etowah the first half of the PCT but it rusted and flames wouldn't come out of the holes on the inner container anymore. No such trouble with my F- it stove.

Jofish
01-27-2010, 14:07
Another cat can stove user here. Easy, light, and perfect for what I need it for; boiling water.

Turtle Feet
01-27-2010, 20:36
...mine started life out as a Pepsi can.

Graywolf
01-28-2010, 01:57
I use a Trangia mini.. Love it!!! Although that featherlfire stove looks like a good 2nd..I guess I will have to try one..

toegem
01-29-2010, 11:36
Cat Stove solo or Penny Stove for two

Hooch
01-29-2010, 21:37
Caldera Keg-F. Accept no substitute. Best stove stove system I've ever used. :banana

Chaco Taco
01-29-2010, 22:46
I second this on the Etowah II. Used it on the PCT. Simple, easy, efficient for what it is. And should you damage the stove, the pot holders will fit on a Dole Pineapple can.

Caldera Cone is a neat design, and I'm expecting to see more of them on the trail this year.

Etowah II is a great stove

Chaco Taco
01-29-2010, 22:48
Original Starlyte, going strong after 2300 miles

Rick Hancock
02-13-2010, 14:22
I have used and really like the WhiteBox Stove. The guy at Minibull designs gave it a high rating even though it is his competition. I also like the Etowha II. White Box handels the colder temps a little better.
Rick

climber2377
02-13-2010, 15:30
i have played around with a couple different stoves. i enjoyed making them. that said, i am planning to bring both a penny stove and a crumb catcher as of right now. i had a challenge with the penny stove and that was that it needed a pot stand. then i founda way to mix the crumb catcher and the penny stove. when you cut off the top of a v8 can (like when making a hiney pot) you can put a crumb catcher on top of the v8top and then it doubles as a pot stand on the penny stove.

i like the crumb catcher because the pot sits right on it. i have had boil times of over 12 to 18 minutes with this one depending on water temp and amount of water. i m still experimenting, so my data is not complete. if you are interested check out my videos at qik.com/climber2377

when i made my crumb catcher, i did not rivet the top on. i bent the outer cup over the inner rings that sandwich the crumb catcher. if you ever made a crumb catcher this may make sense to you.

garlic08
02-13-2010, 15:33
Pepsi can.

Vibe
02-13-2010, 16:26
Zelphs Cobalt Soloist.

Cakon
02-13-2010, 18:46
I use a one-third tomato paste can with two layers of hardware cloth on the inside and a windscreen. Works great with my 750ml ti pot.

Yoclif
02-13-2010, 20:05
I just go a Tatonka from Germany. It is like a Trangia but made out of stainless steel. It is built like a tank and it has a great pot stand.

aBRG2far
02-13-2010, 21:02
Pressurized Pepsi can. Actually had it out today to test it in 34*F w/ flurries. Water was from a iced over bucket and used 1fl oz of fuel that was used for both the stove and prime. Rolling boil was at 9min and burnout at 10min.

JonnyWalker
02-15-2010, 12:59
Jetboil with a hybrid wood/esbit/alcohol stove.

Appalachian Tater
02-15-2010, 13:03
Vienna sausage can with holes punched around it. Nothing simpler, nothing better.

sheepdog
02-15-2010, 13:04
I use them all. one stove is boring

Jester2000
02-15-2010, 14:29
I use them all. one stove is boring

At the same time?!?

Rocket Jones
02-15-2010, 15:32
At the same time?!?

Shouldn't this go under the "Getting enough calories on the trail" thread?