PDA

View Full Version : AT Journeys

emerald
01-20-2010, 20:37
Anyone who has never seen ATC's publication A.T. Journeys (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805925/k.A2D3/AT_Journeys.htm) should visit ATC's website where selected articles from older issues may be read.

Jack Tarlin
01-20-2010, 20:51
Thanks for the link, Emerald.

Unfortunately this thread will shortly degenerate into bashing both the magazine and the people who put it out.

And most of these folks will not be ATC members or contributors, either.

Lone Wolf
01-20-2010, 20:54
Unfortunately this thread will shortly degenerate into bashing both the magazine and the people who put it out.

wow. so sure of yourself

Jack Tarlin
01-20-2010, 20:57
The magazine and the organization itself have been bashed here repeatedly, Wolf.

And on more than one occasion, this was done by you. :D

Being sure of myself on this one didn't require being Nostradamus.

Lone Wolf
01-20-2010, 21:02
The magazine and the organization itself have been bashed here repeatedly, Wolf.

And on more than one occasion, this was done by you. :D

Being sure of myself on this one didn't require being Nostradamus.

define bash. i give money to more worthy causes like haiti for instance. the ATC ain't hurtin'

QuarterPounder
01-20-2010, 21:03
I always look forward to receiving AT Jouneys. It is a nice mix of news affecting the trail, a study of plant/animal life along the trail, and personal perspectives from hikers and management at ATC. Didn't know the website had archived articles. Good to know.

emerald
01-20-2010, 21:21
I always look forward to receiving AT Journeys.

I liked the issue I found in my mailbox yesterday especially the article about Saint Anthony's Wilderness by one of my favorite Reading Eagle writers, Darrin Youker.

Lugnut
01-20-2010, 21:52
And most of these folks will not be ATC members or contributors, either.

I'm a lifetime member and I think the new magazine is awful. Does that count? :p

Jack Tarlin
01-21-2010, 18:33
Of course it counts.

And I'm not thrilled with it, either.

But it was good of Emerald to post the link about past issues; some folks may well find this useful.

QuarterPounder
01-21-2010, 18:39
Just received my copy this evening. In the trail stories section; The Hike of a Lifetime by Bob Palmer is awesome. A wonderful story about a man and his son.

Jack Tarlin
01-21-2010, 18:45
Funny thing.

Over the years here, I've heard many a strong and occasionally unkind word about the ATC's magazine and its content.

Funny thing, tho. I can't reacall any of these critics ever sending anything to the magazine or making an obvious attempt to improve it, tho they're always looking for useful contributions.

If you wanna improve it, then send them something that makes it better.

If you don't like what they print, then send them something worthy of being
printed.

If you think you can write better stuff than what they publish.....well then,
let's see what you've got.

Just sayin'.

Yahtzee
01-21-2010, 18:56
Dear Lord. The majority of people who hike the AT are day hikers. The majority of people who give to the ATC are day hikers. The majority of people who read AT Journeys are day hikers. To expect AT Journeys to cater to a small population of hikers to the detriment of its true audience is obtuse.

Thanks for the link, Emerald.

Lugnut
01-21-2010, 19:23
Yes, we need more stories about horses and weddings and towns and outreach and fund raising. :-?

Jack Tarlin
01-21-2010, 20:34
Then as I suggested, send them something better and I'm sure they'll be happy to consider printing it.

Lone Wolf
01-21-2010, 21:45
Funny thing.

Over the years here, I've heard many a strong and occasionally unkind word about the ATC's magazine and its content.

Funny thing, tho. I can't reacall any of these critics ever sending anything to the magazine or making an obvious attempt to improve it, tho they're always looking for useful contributions.

If you wanna improve it, then send them something that makes it better.

If you don't like what they print, then send them something worthy of being
printed.

If you think you can write better stuff than what they publish.....well then,
let's see what you've got.

Just sayin'.

you weren't around in 90 for the double murders outside duncannon. i was. ATC? fail

saimyoji
01-21-2010, 21:49
its funny.....jack is defending the ATC, yet he's the one creating all the drama and negativity. :rolleyes:

way to go jack.....you killed this thread before it even got started.

Tinker
01-21-2010, 21:55
Good thread. Keep 'em coming.
And, by all means, if you think you can contribute to the content of the magazine, by all means give it a shot.
I, personally, think the mag. is average, similar to the AMC's rag - ok, maybe a little better. The AMC is mostly advertisement of their facilities and services with enough intelligently written content to bind it weakly together. Both magazines bring enough attention to the preservation of wild places (I do not dare say "wilderness") to make them worthwhile, as is a membership in each (or both) clubs. The Sierra Club, otoh, is the Bill Gates equivalent of these two.

Lone Wolf
01-21-2010, 21:57
way to go jack.....you killed this thread before it even got started.

pretty much

Jester2000
01-21-2010, 22:01
Yes, we need more stories about horses and weddings and towns and outreach and fund raising. :-?

And turtle riding!

Jack Tarlin
01-22-2010, 14:29
Thanks for the praise, Saim, as we all know how signigificant YOUR contributions are here at Whiteblaze. :D

In any case, as I said in my first post, thanks for the link, Emerald.

Blue Jay
01-23-2010, 17:02
I like the ATC and it's publication. Do I agree with them on everything, no,
but as Jack has pointed out, if you want a better AT organization you can change it. It's not like they are crawling with members who want to contribute. Overall they do a great job.

drifter
01-23-2010, 17:13
This group is truly amazing....?

Lugnut
01-23-2010, 18:26
I like the ATC and it's publication. Do I agree with them on everything, no,
but as Jack has pointed out, if you want a better AT organization you can change it. It's not like they are crawling with members who want to contribute. Overall they do a great job.

As Glenn Beck would say, "I'm just a rodeo clown". I'm a reader, not a writer. It seems to me that legitimate criticism could only benefit any publication, and there seems to be enough of that.

Rocket
01-23-2010, 19:06
define bash. i give money to more worthy causes like haiti for instance. the ATC ain't hurtin'

1st...this was a post about a magazine. 2nd...More worthy causes like Haiti !!!! Are you serious ! Try taking alook around your own country. When was the last time anyone went out of their way to help our own. Our own people are starving and living in the streets. Jesus...we had a homeless guy freeze to death on the streets a couple of weeks ago. Yet we'll rush to help everyone else. and then brag about our "giving". RALPH...HUEY....I think I'm goona be sick !!

Lone Wolf
01-23-2010, 19:27
1st...this was a post about a magazine. 2nd...More worthy causes like Haiti !!!! Are you serious ! Try taking alook around your own country. When was the last time anyone went out of their way to help our own. Our own people are starving and living in the streets. Jesus...we had a homeless guy freeze to death on the streets a couple of weeks ago. Yet we'll rush to help everyone else. and then brag about our "giving". RALPH...HUEY....I think I'm goona be sick !!

so what are you doing to help Americans?

Rocket
01-23-2010, 19:54

I do what I can for America...enough said. Don't get me wrong...helping people is commendable and I'm sure they appreciate it. "Cookies and accolades all around" for donating to third world countries with disasters. And now back to our regularly scheduled program.....

Mountain Dew
01-24-2010, 03:27
Every tax paying American is giving to the hell hole country of Haiti. I simply don't trust the Red Cross anymore.

As far as Journeys goes.... It's an alright magazine when it doesn't slant its articles far leaning political slants.....

I subscribe and read every issue cover to cover.......

Helios
01-24-2010, 06:32

http://www.feedthechildren.org/site/PageServer?pagename=org_us_programs

I found this site when the recession first started. I heard a news story about a truck load of food being delivered to a community in Michigan that was supported by the folks that run this site. A little research will show they are a good organization to donate to. Most of your $$ goes towards the needy, not administrative overhead or other BS. You can choose to donate abroad, or have your $$ be used right here in the good ol' USA.

Lauriep
01-24-2010, 10:47
There's an article from the November/December issue of A.T. Journeys I think even most curmudgeonly WhiteBlazers could love. It features profiles of several recent female thru-hikers over 50, and some great quotes: A Hike of Their Own (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/atf/cf/%7BB8A229E6-1CDC-41B7-A615-2D5911950E45%7D/ATJ-09NovDec-HikeOfOwn.pdf.). It's by Judy McGuire, an '07 thru-hiker.

If there are any topics you'd like to see covered in the magazine, let me know and I'll pitch them to the editor. Write it here or email me at [email protected].

Laurie P.

Lugnut
01-24-2010, 12:26
That was a good article. We need more human interest and I was there kind of stories and less travelogue and non trail related articles. The obsession with fund raising and land aquisition seems to find it's way on to several pages each issue also. Over all I guess I just miss the old ATN. It seemed 'closer' to the trail.

CrumbSnatcher
01-24-2010, 12:38
i liked the old ATN more also!
being a dog lover, i didn't like the last appalachian journey magazine i recieved. it showed some thruhiker at harpers ferry HDQ taking a break. his dog sleeping on the porch with his pack still on. and i wonder if the dog even had a water bowl of his own? he had the HDQ. water bowl in front of the dog. not the right dog owner to be showing off in the mag.

Lone Wolf
01-24-2010, 12:44
his dog sleeping on the porch with his pack still on. and i wonder if the dog even had a water bowl of his own? he had the HDQ. water bowl in front of the dog.

very common sight in damascus almost on a daily basis the months of april and may

CrumbSnatcher
01-24-2010, 12:46
very common sight in damascus almost on a daily basis the months of april and may
alot of hikers bring the dog on the hike
some of us hike the trail with our best friend! big difference!

CrumbSnatcher
01-24-2010, 13:15
you'd be doing the dog a favor by unhooking it and letting it run off!
how the hell do you leave the pack on a dog while you're inside. 99% of the time i would grab OUR burger or whatever and go back outside to eat! it was rare to see me eating without my BEARdog right next to me on trail or off!!!

BrianLe
01-24-2010, 14:31
Lugnut said:

"We need more human interest and I was there kind of stories and less travelogue and non trail related articles."

LaurieP said:

"If there are any topics you'd like to see covered in the magazine, let me know and I'll pitch them to the editor."

Seems to me that if a person or group were to review postholer.com and trailjournals.com for both section and thru-hike blogs that such stories could easily flow as a result. Bound to be some interesting situations, interesting challenges, interesting people on the trail for interesting reasons, etc --- at least referenced if not completely detailed. A little follow-up and voila, human interest "I was there" kind of stories.

I suggest that as standard practice that magazine staff should review both journal sites every year about the end of typical thru-hiker season.

Cookerhiker
01-24-2010, 15:45
First of all, I really enjoyed the most recent issue of AT Journeys, in particular the story of the father-son hiking together since the boy was 5. Very touching.

Now as to the old Appalachian Trailway News vs. the new AT Journeys - I feel Journeys brings some very nice features, namely the Trail Towns series, stunning photographs, monthly articles on wildlife (flora and/or fauna) along the Trail, and probably my favorite: a spot on a volunteer each month. The print quality is measurably better. Like ATN, the latest news on trail developments is helpful to those who care about the Trail's preservation and its very existence.

What I miss about the old ATN - the best way to summarize is that it was more of a what I'd call a "people's magazine" meaning it contained more input from the Trail Community. To be sure, Journeys includes some such input but it's more of a magazine about the Trail community rather than by the Trail Community.

So what does it take to make Journeys more of a "people's magazine" without diminshing its strengths? Very simple:

Allow much more - at least double, preferably triple - space for "Letters to the Editor." Currently it's too-neatly packaged onto one page or less.
Bring back "Reflections." It was replaced by "Trail Stories" and "As I see it" which are OK in themselves but despite being usually well-written, they're very confining - a single 700-word or 1 page account by only one author each. And in more than one month, "Trail Stories" is omitted entirely. "Reflections" seemed more authentic - usually 1-7 articles, some one page, some one paragraph, but all "reflecting" trail experiences of hikers/users. I get the sense that ATC Management considers "Reflections" less professional-appearing than their successors but I miss the down-to-earth style of "Reflections." And most importantly, "Reflections" allowed for more people to write their experiences. By only publishing one account per month ala "Trail Stories," the ATC actually discourages reader input since the statistical odds against one's article being published don't make the time writing worthwhile.
This should be a no-brainer and perhaps already is ATC policy but I'll say it: only photos by ATC members should be published. Again, this is in the spirit of making Journeys a "people's magazine. Surely there's enough photography talent out there.
Of course keep up the profile on individual volunteers and also profile individual hikers each month as well. This is often done in the course of articles anyway.
Borrowing an idea from Rails-to-Trails magazine, feature a randomly-drawn ATC member each month. In no more than 1 page, the member can share a little background about themselves and why they support the ATC; what the organization and the AT mean to them.

Lugnut
01-24-2010, 15:55
Great ideas!

Lauriep
01-24-2010, 19:06
Thanks to all those who provided constructive feedback (I realize this wasn't necessarily the intent of the thread). I will pass it along. It's clear some of you put a lot of thought into what you wrote, and I appreciate that. There are some really good ideas expressed here.

WhiteBlaze and the web in general have certainly changed the dynamics of ATC's relationship with the Trail community. On one hand, it allows ATC to potentially hear a broad spectrum of perspectives (though not necessarily fully representative of ATC members or the larger Trail community); on the other, my sense is a lot fewer people communicate directly with ATC now.

My experience has been that when I forward a WhiteBlaze thread or post to fellow staff members, it just doesn't have the same impact as direct communication.

Laurie P.
ATC

Jester2000
01-24-2010, 19:33
Cookiehiker -- great thoughts, and good points.

Laurie -- I've noticed the same trend. Used to be that complaints/suggestions were directed to businesses and organizations. Now they're usually just directed at them.

Cookerhiker
01-24-2010, 19:41
Cookiehiker -- great thoughts, and good points......

Thanks Jestie. I'm looking forward to finally meeting you at the PA Ruck.

rickb
01-24-2010, 20:31
Got to say the editor's folksy recollections about parties on friend's boats or how her parents looked at birds but didn't inspire a passion for birding are not my favorite.

If the idea is to suggest that potential readers without a deep connection to the AT or the outdoors are welcome to read and enjoy the magazine, well, so be it.

KvPhoto
01-25-2010, 10:48
Does anyone have any old issues they plan on getting rid of soon?

Ender
01-25-2010, 11:50
Anyone who has never seen ATC's publication A.T. Journeys (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805925/k.A2D3/AT_Journeys.htm) should visit ATC's website where selected articles from older issues may be read.

These are great. Thanks! :sun

emerald
01-29-2010, 02:43
Does anyone have any old issues they plan on getting rid of soon?

You may be able to read back issues at a library. If Wise Library at WVU doesn't have a complete set, they do go way back and I once read them all.

Maybe someone knows of a complete set you could read for free near your home. If that doesn't work, I might be willing to part with mine under favorable conditions you won't beat elsewhere.

Look into it and get back to me.

Hoop Time
01-29-2010, 05:45
Love how this thread degenerated into bashing relief for Haiti. Also love how in general, such bashing has been led by the far right, which likes to call itself "Christians."

It's not about us vs. them, it's about reaching out a hand to help people in need. Here, there, wherever. How can you simply look the other way?

Anyhow, I look forward to writing the trail towns piece I am doing for AT Journeys and can't wait to get bashed here when it runs.

After all, this is America, where no good deed goes unpunished.

ki0eh
01-29-2010, 09:19
A.T. Journeys is one of the few pieces of mail I read right when it comes in. I think the magazine does a fine job in reflecting some perspective from all A.T. users.

Yes, enhancing corridor protection beyond the bare minimum is an important ATC objective, and that takes money. Given how much time and funds flowing through Harpers Ferry that must be directed at that objective, it's actually a bit surprising to me how restrained that element is in Journeys. But rightly so: it's the human interest and the volunteers that bring knowledge of the A.T. to the point where people see that it needs to be preserved.

One topic important in my little corner of the vineyard is to revisit how the A.T. relates to neighboring footpaths. Lloyd MacAskill wrote an article in the old ATN (I believe in 2000) about parallel footpaths -discussion about this article led directly to today's Great Eastern Trail. Maybe when we run out of trail towns to profile there would be room for another feature on that topic. ;)

berkshirebirder
01-29-2010, 11:05
It's always a good idea to stop and think about an organization's goals if you're going to critique a publication. I just came across this 8-minute 2006 promo prepared by Dickinson College for the ATC:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Xp1g1woeO8

I think it presents the range and importance of the Conservancy's goals pretty effectively. Agree? Disagree?

Graywolf
01-29-2010, 18:17
I must say, I think the ATC is doing a faboulous job in keeping us hikers a 2100 mile trail to wander around on..My heart goes out to not only the ATC, but also all the section AT Clubs out there and volunteers who donate their time when they don't have to, just to keep and maintain a trail for those who are too lazy to help out..(If I lived closer to the trail, I would be out every chance I could get to take car of the trail..

The Mag..I think there are some great articles, but then their are times when there isn't great articles..It's all in the perspective of what the reader enjoys reading..

If you take the Adventure Cycling Associations magazine, that would be a great model for any outdoor mag..Each issue has something for everyone..

One mag that has disappointed me enough is Backpacker magazine...Way too many advertisments for 4x4's and ORV that it shouldn't even be considered a backpacking mag...But it does this for commercialism...They rely on that..

The ATC Journeys relys mostly on donations and memberships...As someone else stated, you want a better mag, than donate better material..Be the change you want to see..

Graywolf

Jack Tarlin
01-30-2010, 14:02
Greywolf:

WhileI agree with you about the inappropriateness of some of Backpacker's ads, these are very difficult times for the magazine and newspaper industry.

A lot of good publications have ceased operations in recent montrhs and the munber one reason, at least for magazines, is the decline in ad revenue.

So if the choice is either keep getting a favorite magazine that occasionally has a dumb ad in it, or never see the magazine again with or without an offensive ad in it......well I'd rather keep seeing the magazine.

And a bad ad is like a bad article, you can always skip it.

Mountain Dew
02-01-2010, 04:40
Hey Gray Wolf,

If you are going to Trail Days then you can volunteer at HardCore. Incase you don't know what that is..... It's 100% trail volunteers doing trail work at the end of trail days on sunday and monday. And it is close to Damascus.....

As far as Backpacker magazine goes..... I love the mag. Sure it could talk more about real backpacking but they are not only trying to reach the hardcore hiking community. If they did that then they would go under. As far as people bitching about their adds... Who cares what kind of adds they have.... how doesthat affect us ? Nobody makes you read the adds.

grizzlyadam
02-02-2010, 13:49
One mag that has disappointed me enough is Backpacker magazine...Way too many advertisements for 4x4's and ORV that it shouldn't even be considered a backpacking mag...But it does this for commercialism...They rely on that..Graywolf

Have the people that complain about the ads in Backpacker even looked at Backpacker?

I just thumbed through two recent issues and between the two issues found a grand total of 3 car ads. A Subaru ad in both issues (on the back cover of one of the issues) and a Toyota ad (on the inside of the back cover).

Are you just complaining about their ads because that's what everyone else does? Have you actually looked at the magazine?

Just curious.