PDA

View Full Version : Happy Feet!

Tuney
01-20-2010, 21:03
When we're hiking 2,179.2 miles, we really want Happy Feet. So I thought I'd share with you what's making my feet happy.

I did a lot of experimenting during the summer and fall, and I ended up with trail running shoes instead of my Vasque Breeze Boots (which I really like BTW).
I have the Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra GTX Shoes with the Dr School custom fit orthotic insoles (maybe you've been seeing them advertised on TV) I wear them with Smartwool medium cushion socks, and Cool Max Liners.

I've been hiking in this combination now for almost 6 months. They are so good I wear them for almost everything except Dress Up occasions. I'm happy to report I have had no blisters, foot, ankle, knee or leg problems. The worst I've experienced after hiking several miles on fairly aggressive trails is some muscle soreness like you have after a day doing hard physical labor. That's usually gone by the next morning.

I have really happy feet. Looking forward to starting SOBO at the beginning of June

Phreak
01-20-2010, 21:20
Great shoes! I wear these as well with custom inserts.

moytoy
01-20-2010, 21:20
Sooo. What your saying is, that you skip across kennesaw Mtn. now?
Good deal I may try a pair!

Moxcey
01-20-2010, 22:29
I've been wearing a pair of Salomon XT Wings lately for hiking, which look very similar to your pair (according to the images on Google Shopping results), and are by far the best pair of footwear I've ever had the pleasure of walking in.

Tuney
01-20-2010, 23:13
Sooo. What your saying is, that you skip across kennesaw Mtn. now?
Good deal I may try a pair!

Haven't taken up skipping yet. I'm training with 35 - 40 LBS in my pack. :D

moytoy
01-20-2010, 23:19
Haven't taken up skipping yet. I'm training with 35 - 40 LBS in my pack. :D

Yep... I've been following your TJ for some time now. Good luck to ya.

Blissful
01-20-2010, 23:29
socks, socks, socks. And good ones. Don't skimp

and decent insoles.

Tuney
01-21-2010, 13:18
...I wear them with Smartwool medium cushion socks, and Cool Max Liners.

The custom fit Dr. Scholls insoles are a God send for people like me with flat feet. The cushion socks either medium, or thick are important to reduce the sensitivity of the Trail runners to rocks and debris in the trail.

dgaf169
01-21-2010, 16:05
Have you ever tried superfeet? I've got a pair in my Asolo Fugative GTX I can honestly say they are the most comfortable pair of shoes/boots I have ever owned. When I get done hiking for the day I like to rub my feet with rubbing alcohol and then put on some foot powder...now you wanna talk about some happy feet!

BTW during the hot summer months I will carry two pairs of the superfeet insoles and switch them out at lunch. Keeps my feet much more dry and much more comfortable.

WalkSoftly33
02-01-2010, 15:40
Happy Feet, Funny Feet, Magic Feet, Make Believe Feet, Gorrilla Feet, Monkey Feet, Fake Feet...aka just plain wierd

My plan is to use Brown Vibram Five Fingers KSO Treks w/ merino toe socks.

http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/products/products_kso_trek_m.cfm

I have hiked two weekend trips 25+ miles carrying 30lbs (MA AT Section Hikes) as well as numerous short day hikes, to the gym and around my house. If I could wear them to work I would unfortunatly corporate america expects certain proffessional attire to be worn.

Results: Your feet will be sore and tired when you begin to use them. With time they become acustum to the demands placed on them and you will be less sore and stronger for it.

Conditions: All terrain types and I have had them in wet weather just 37*+/- and they are warm enough while hiking, the issue is in those conditions when I stop to make camp I am in considerable discomfort. (read pain)

Why?: The human foot evolved over a millenia It has only been in the last 200 yrs that we have begun to put our foot into a cast each day, creating a self inflicted atrophy of numerous muscles in the legs and foot. A raised heal throws off your bio mechanics, the arch of your foot is proven to dissipate energy better than cushy shoes. Numerous studys have proven that runners who run bare foot suffer alot fewer injuries then when wearing modern foot wear (1 in 10 v. 6 in 10)

Concerns: Durability of the shoes, Injury, warmth in cold and wet conditions

Pros: Increased connection to your surrondings, More efficient walking motion (no more heal striking), Ultralight weight, Increased foot and leg strength, better balance, heightned foot placement and you cant forget about the looks you recieve!

Sidenote: before switching to these as my go to Hiking shoe I used ORANGE SUPERFEET INSERTS inside Montrail Cirruss GTX, with a little preemtive seamsealing at crease points and light merino socks these have kept me bone dry and comfy on hikes in hot and cold conditions. if you are going with traditional footwear I strongly recommend these!

I have not done a thru hike before so my choice of shoes may change as I progress, with a little trial and error, but an incouraging fact is stories like the barefoor sisters who hiked the AT barefoot!

sorry for the long post, just saw the word HAPPY FEET couldnt help myself