PDA

View Full Version : Dogs and Leashes:Split from Dealing with aggressive dogs.

Nean
01-19-2010, 23:04
The only prob I had w/ Delta this year was a guy who started swinging his sticks the second he saw her. His aggressive behavior frightened her after she realized he wasn't playing and every time she tried to move around him he swung at her. Bad human. bad. People who are dogophobic should stay off dog trails! Yeeee

Doooglas
01-19-2010, 23:34
There has been a rash of attack dogs on the AT. Best advice...ever: stay at home!:rolleyes:
So many, in fact, I hit the loooooooooooooooong trail.:cool:

beakerman
01-20-2010, 00:27
The only prob I had w/ Delta this year was a guy who started swinging his sticks the second he saw her. His aggressive behavior frightened her after she realized he wasn't playing and every time she tried to move around him he swung at her. Bad human. bad. People who are dogophobic should stay off dog trails! Yeeee

No you should control your animal. I don't care what you think your dog is like. You have no idea how I or my dog (on her leash) will react to your out of control animal running down the trail at us. I unfortunately do and you will not be happy with your vet bills at teh end of carrying what is left of your dog back out of the woods.

I have 4 dogs and every time...I mean every time...I am on the trail with any of them they are on a lead. The three older ones will do nothing worse than lick and dog breath you to death but the youngest is a bit neurotic and she can be aggressive when confronted with another dog...particularly a loose dog.

I control my animals and therefore am not responsible for what happens to yours when it is not controlled.

SassyWindsor
01-20-2010, 01:31
Per the ATC link the following is stated:

"Leashes ARE REQUIRED on more than 40 percent of the Trail"

"We recommend dogs be leashed at all times, as a matter of courtesy to other hikers and to minimize stress to wildlife."

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805495/k.9C34/Hiking_with_Dogs.htm

Note to the ATC: Trying to get inconsiderate hikers to keep their dog(s) leashed is like telling a smoking hiker to pack out their cigarette butts. These type of hikers think that LNT is a recreational drug.

ed bell
01-20-2010, 01:59
No you should control your animal. I don't care what you think your dog is like. You have no idea how I or my dog (on her leash) will react to your out of control animal running down the trail at us. I unfortunately do and you will not be happy with your vet bills at teh end of carrying what is left of your dog back out of the woods.

I have 4 dogs and every time...I mean every time...I am on the trail with any of them they are on a lead. The three older ones will do nothing worse than lick and dog breath you to death but the youngest is a bit neurotic and she can be aggressive when confronted with another dog...particularly a loose dog.

I control my animals and therefore am not responsible for what happens to yours when it is not controlled.
I'm confused, do you know Nean and Delta? If not, what does his post have to do with yours?

kayak karl
01-20-2010, 08:10
There has been a rash of attack dogs on the AT. Best advice...ever: stay at home!:rolleyes:
never met a dog i didn't like, as for hikers :-?

beakerman
01-20-2010, 09:57
I'm confused, do you know Nean and Delta? If not, what does his post have to do with yours?

No I don't know Nean and Delta...more importantly Nean and Delta don't know me and my dogs.

Nean's post, while not explicitly stating it, leaves me to believe that Delta is not a leashed dog.

The point is a loose dog is a problem. There are people that fear dogs--even ones on a leash. I love dogs--that's why I have 4 of them (a collection of 2 strays and 2 rescue pyrs). However I also know the reaction that one of my dogs will have to a loose dog bolting down the trail towards us. I've seen her reaction before and while i do my best to control her I can't control my dog and the loose one too.

So everyone should control their animal...not just because someone is afraid of dogs but it could be dangerous to your dog too.

Nean
01-20-2010, 10:31
We met many dogs on the trail this year, I'm guessing 20-25. None leashed. I kept Delta leashed for the first 2 months and amazed everyone we met! The only times I let her off was for (my) safety.

The old boy who wouldn't let her pass was our only negative encounter and it happened a few feet in front of me. If you start swinging at every dog that tries to walk around you simply because you are afraid of dogs you should avoid trails where dogs are welcome.

I've had several negative experiences with dogs over the years- even been bit twice, but I'm all for non aggressive dogs on the trail. Once I started hiking w/ a partner who also has a dog I started trusting Delta off leash. I take into consideration that we are hiking off season and people encounters are few and far between. Reality is different than cyber hiking- hopefully some of you will have the opportunity to find that out.

Rain Man
01-20-2010, 11:30
The old boy who wouldn't let her pass was our only negative encounter and it happened a few feet in front of me. If you start swinging at every dog that tries to walk around you simply because you are afraid of dogs you should avoid trails where dogs are welcome.

Why blame and doubly victimize the victim? If the law is that dogs on the AT have to be leashed, then the aggressive dog should be, for multiple reasons, on a leash. Perhaps dog owners who can't obey the law should avoid hiking trails?

Once I started hiking w/ a partner who also has a dog I started trusting Delta off leash. I take into consideration that we are hiking off season and people encounters are few and far between.

Another dog owner rationalizing why he and his dog are above the law? Every bad dog owner rationalizes about his or her own bad (and illegal) conduct.

Once again, we see the problem with "aggressive dogs" is not the dog, but the "I'm above the law" dog owner.

Rain Man

DAJA
01-20-2010, 11:36
Why blame and doubly victimize the victim? If the law is that dogs on the AT have to be leashed, then the aggressive dog should be, for multiple reasons, on a leash. Perhaps dog owners who can't obey the law should avoid hiking trails?

Another dog owner rationalizing why he and his dog are above the law? Every bad dog owner rationalizes about his or her own bad (and illegal) conduct.

Once again, we see the problem with "aggressive dogs" is not the dog, but the "I'm above the law" dog owner.

Rain Man

Exactly! And it would be that same person who would blame the hiker that struck their dog in self defence..

Keep your dogs on a leash when on trails such as the AT with high traffic. It's not my responsibility to determine if your dog means me harm.. It is your responsibility to ensure I'm never confronted by your dog off the leash..

Nean
01-20-2010, 11:48
Exactly! And it would be that same person who would blame the hiker that struck their dog in self defence..

Keep your dogs on a leash when on trails such as the AT with high traffic. It's not my responsibility to determine if your dog means me harm.. It is your responsibility to ensure I'm never confronted by your dog off the leash..

You guys can sure paint a picture--- but that isn't reality.:)

Some people just cause problems when there isn't one. :( Why assume an indifferent dog is attacking you?:confused:

And now it's against the law all along the trail and I'm above the law? oh please, do tell.:eek:

ShelterLeopard
01-20-2010, 12:10
Come on, if there's absolutely no one on trail and your dog is well behaved, who cares if he's off the leash? I do think the owner should leash the dog when people come into sight though. Especially if it's mud season and he's overly friendly.

Jim Adams
01-20-2010, 12:15
I've never met Nean's new dog but if he is anything like his old one then he must be truely amazing. His last dog was one of the most well behaved and trained dogs that I've ever met and was actually a joy to hike with. (although I love and have owned dogs, I'm not fond of them on hiking trails...mostly due to poorly behaved dogs due to poorly behaved owners.) I've only known Nean since 2002 but if you are arguing about his dog control or dogs actions then you are "barking up the wrong tree". If all dogs on the trail behaved as well as Nean's, I wouldn't mind seeing dogs on the trail. As it stands, Nean's, Crumbsnatchers, Wicked and Bill Irwin's dogs are the only ones who have my trust on the trail.

geek

DAJA
01-20-2010, 12:26
My comments are not directed at Nean and his dog, but at dog owners in general. I don't know every hiker that approaches me, nor do I know thier dog's, so why should it be my responsibility to be a dog whisperer and determine if a dog means me harm our not, when the owner could act responsibly and keep their dog under control and on a leash. Problem solved!

Bring your dogs, just control them.

If they approach me acting aggressively, they will get a whack. If they jump up on me in a friendly manner, they will get a whack. If they step on my gear, they will get a whack. If they beg for food, they will get a whack..

If the owner is present and not in control of thier dog, they too will get a whack!

Keep your dogs under your control and enjoy your hike, so I can enjoy mine..

beakerman
01-20-2010, 12:27
You guys can sure paint a picture--- but that isn't reality.:)

Some people just cause problems when there isn't one. :( Why assume an indifferent dog is attacking you?:confused:

And now it's against the law all along the trail and I'm above the law? oh please, do tell.:eek:

My point is not that your dog is going to harm me or my dog. My problem is my leashed dog is going to perceive your dog as a threat and be aggressive towards your dog. Then you and I have a mess on our hands.

I don't assume any dog is aggressive. I deal with some quite large dogs every day so there is no fear of dogs its my fear for your dog.

You mention a guy flailing away at your dog...he did not know your dog nor do you know anything about the guy--what if he was attacked previously by a "friendly dog"? I'm not justifying his behavior, flailing away at a dog that is not acting aggressive can actually cause a problem, but I'm sure there was a reason in that guys mind for it.

In a situation like this, if I were one to let my dog off leash, when I saw someone coming I would ahve called my dog back to me and leashed her up just to be nice to the other guy. If you dog doesn't come to you for leashing then guess what: she's not under control period.

As far as legality goes I don't recall what's at the AT trailheads (it's been years) but her in TX every trail head that I have been to has a sign to keep your dog on a leash. That sounds to me like having your dog off leash is some sort of legal issue at least here in TX.

beakerman
01-20-2010, 12:33
And even though it seems I'm directing my comments at Nean I am not...I've never met Nean or said dog and I'm sure that Neans pup is well under control and would not probably not hurt a chipmunk stealing her food...however my point remains...just put your dog on a leash and be done with it.

CrumbSnatcher
01-20-2010, 12:45
I've never met Nean's new dog but if he is anything like his old one then he must be truely amazing. His last dog was one of the most well behaved and trained dogs that I've ever met and was actually a joy to hike with. (although I love and have owned dogs, I'm not fond of them on hiking trails...mostly due to poorly behaved dogs due to poorly behaved owners.) I've only known Nean since 2002 but if you are arguing about his dog control or dogs actions then you are "barking up the wrong tree". If all dogs on the trail behaved as well as Nean's, I wouldn't mind seeing dogs on the trail. As it stands, Nean's, Crumbsnatchers, Wicked and Bill Irwin's dogs are the only ones who have my trust on the trail.

geek
You almost made me cry jim, i'm still missing the ole' girl. for what its worth and i have personal experience on trail and off. it really sucks to have an aggressive dog come at you.i wouldn't want this to happen to anyone! its a little scary at times, i love how everyone on here says they'll just whack that dog? as if you'll win every encounter? thats funny ****! neans dog cooler was a great dog! well behaved and nean has great respect for the trail!

kanga
01-20-2010, 13:42
No I don't know Nean and Delta...more importantly Nean and Delta don't know me and my dogs.

Nean's post, while not explicitly stating it, leaves me to believe that Delta is not a leashed dog.

The point is a loose dog is a problem. There are people that fear dogs--even ones on a leash. I love dogs--that's why I have 4 of them (a collection of 2 strays and 2 rescue pyrs). However I also know the reaction that one of my dogs will have to a loose dog bolting down the trail towards us. I've seen her reaction before and while i do my best to control her I can't control my dog and the loose one too.

So everyone should control their animal...not just because someone is afraid of dogs but it could be dangerous to your dog too.
so you can't control your dog. that must mean nobody else can either.:rolleyes:

CrumbSnatcher
01-20-2010, 13:51
99% of the time i used a verbal leash, it never failed me!

Jester2000
01-20-2010, 14:09
In a situation like this, if I were one to let my dog off leash, when I saw someone coming I would ahve called my dog back to me and leashed her up just to be nice to the other guy. If you dog doesn't come to you for leashing then guess what: she's not under control period. . .

This is the issue I have with all of this. There seem to be some dog owners who think that their dog being "friendly" or "non-aggressive" (under previous conditions) means that their dog is "in control."

But if you can't command your dog to heel, and have it stay by your side regardless of what's going on around it (and yes, that does include the presence of other dogs), your dog is not under your control and should be on a leash at all times.

And if owners do have that kind of control, I think they should do so whenever anyone who doesn't know the dog approaches.

CrumbSnatcher
01-20-2010, 14:27
i've seen more hikers almost get bit from tired overworked stressed out dogs that are in camp trying to rest and someone wants to pet them, than coming across dogs that are hiking.
even good dogs can catch you off gaurd if they are overworked.

beakerman
01-20-2010, 15:10
i've seen more hikers almost get bit from tired overworked stressed out dogs that are in camp trying to rest and someone wants to pet them, than coming across dogs that are hiking.
even good dogs can catch you off gaurd if they are overworked.

This is true as well. There is a point at which the bite "victim" is the problem I agree.

It's like that old saying goes: let sleeping babies and dogs lie....there's a reason that saying exists. My sister once got bitten on the face (don't worry she was not all that good looking before so it was no real harm there--maybe even an improvement) by a big dalmatian because she did exactly what you describe--the dog was trying to lay there and get some rest and she comes along sticks her face right down near it and starts trying to pet the dog...bad move.

The sadest part is the dog got put down because of it--this dog belonged to a friend of mine and had never so much as growled at someone previously but my buddies parents were convinced that it was a problem with the dog even though my sister explained exatly what happened and said it was her fault.

beakerman
01-20-2010, 15:12
This is the issue I have with all of this. There seem to be some dog owners who think that their dog being "friendly" or "non-aggressive" (under previous conditions) means that their dog is "in control."

But if you can't command your dog to heel, and have it stay by your side regardless of what's going on around it (and yes, that does include the presence of other dogs), your dog is not under your control and should be on a leash at all times.

And if owners do have that kind of control, I think they should do so whenever anyone who doesn't know the dog approaches.

Yep that is my entire point summed up better than I could say it myself. Thanks Jester

CrumbSnatcher
01-20-2010, 15:35
This is true as well. There is a point at which the bite "victim" is the problem I agree.

It's like that old saying goes: let sleeping babies and dogs lie....there's a reason that saying exists. My sister once got bitten on the face (don't worry she was not all that good looking before so it was no real harm there--maybe even an improvement) by a big dalmatian because she did exactly what you describe--the dog was trying to lay there and get some rest and she comes along sticks her face right down near it and starts trying to pet the dog...bad move.

The sadest part is the dog got put down because of it--this dog belonged to a friend of mine and had never so much as growled at someone previously but my buddies parents were convinced that it was a problem with the dog even though my sister explained exatly what happened and said it was her fault.
i was at the eckville shelter and my friend wicked was hiking out, changed his mind and was jumping around excited to take the day off. went over to a dog that was familar with him rubbing his head a little to aggressively and the dog bit him in the face! you never know?

Jester2000
01-20-2010, 15:44
Yep that is my entire point summed up better than I could say it myself. Thanks Jester

On the other hand, you managed to say it in two sentences. And I never say in two sentences what I can say in two paragraphs.

CrumbSnatcher has a good point that I think many overlook, including dog owners, and especially people who choose to take their dogs on a long distance hike.

This is (usually) a big change of scenery and a BIG change in workload for dogs. I know and understand the whole concept of "my dog loves being out in the woods!" and "my dog loves going on walks in nature!", but just as a thru-hike is a big change for you, it's a big change for the dog as well. And at least you understand what's going on.

Dogs get exhausted. They get stressed. They get confused. And a dog that is not normally even remotely aggressive at home can become so on the trail, at least at the beginning. So we should all cut some slack to the tired dog who snaps because he just wants to be left alone, and owners (at least ones new to the trail) should be aware of their dog's emotional state, and act accordingly.

Lord knows I bit quite a few hikers on my thru-hike.

sasquatch2014
01-20-2010, 16:16
What is truly amazing is that a thread like this that is about remote or infrequently occurring situations can gather such speed and so many responses. Aggressive dogs, Homeless people living in shelters and Bears in camp how often do they really occur? I have had tons of hikers who as they pass through Pawling on their way into NE comment that they think the best chances for them having seen a bear in the woods are now mostly past. I have seen a bunch of dogs on the trail and the only aggressive ones have been non hikers dogs in town or on the road. Homeless folks on a trail only a few and non of them were an issue nor did they have a bear or an aggressive dog in the camp. :-?

srestrepo
01-20-2010, 17:18
where's lonewolf when you need him to say this is stupid...

Pedaling Fool
01-20-2010, 17:23
What is truly amazing is that a thread like this that is about remote or infrequently occurring situations can gather such speed and so many responses. Aggressive dogs, Homeless people living in shelters and Bears in camp how often do they really occur? I have had tons of hikers who as they pass through Pawling on their way into NE comment that they think the best chances for them having seen a bear in the woods are now mostly past. I have seen a bunch of dogs on the trail and the only aggressive ones have been non hikers dogs in town or on the road. Homeless folks on a trail only a few and non of them were an issue nor did they have a bear or an aggressive dog in the camp. :-?
This is true a lot of people are getting worked up over nothing. I've had a lot of problems with dogs, but never any problems on the trail. Anyone want dog problems go cycle through Kentucky.

Nean
01-20-2010, 17:48
This is what I'm saying.:)
The two times I was bitten was when the trail was on a road in places where the trail has long been reloed. Two other aggressive dogs on the trail happened w/ weekenders who were new to the trail. :-?
I've been fortunate to spend time on the trail. You are more likely to encounter a whacked person than a dog who needs a whack. ;) So I'm not talking about breaking laws or lawyers w/ imagination. :rolleyes:
Have a nice hike, and if you meet an aggressive animal, by all means protect yourself. Chances are it will be on two legs.:(

Lone Wolf
01-20-2010, 18:09
where's lonewolf when you need him to say this is stupid...
what? this thread?

SassyWindsor
01-20-2010, 19:20
I'm one to thank another hiker/maintainer if I see them cleaning up other hikers litter or trail downfalls. I also thank a hiker who has their dog leashed when I pass them or they pass me. Unfortunately, I've only thanked a few who had their dog leashed. I'd say about 1 in 10 I meet will have their dog leashed. As I've said before, pepper spraying or otherwise defending yourself against an aggressive dog could lead to a very bad confrontation with the owner. They see nothing wrong with their aggressive dog running loose on the trail. Their are a lot of hikers especially women and children that hike the trail that are very afraid of unleashed dogs, more so than the wildlife. At least if you sprayed a bear, hopefully there would be no owner to attack you for doing so. This tread, like many similar ones, may give folks like me a venue to vent, but does very little to change the hiker with their unleashed dog.

beakerman
01-20-2010, 19:31
This is what I'm saying.:)
The two times I was bitten was when the trail was on a road in places where the trail has long been reloed. Two other aggressive dogs on the trail happened w/ weekenders who were new to the trail. :-?

So you have had some problems with uncontrolled dogs. I think we all agree that out of control dogs are a problem...the only point of contention is the definition of control. I say if the dog does not come immediately to you when called regardless of the situation--new to trail, guys with beards, freaks flailing leki poles what ever--then the dog is not under control and other means need to be taken to achieve control. The easiest way is a leash.

I've been fortunate to spend time on the trail. You are more likely to encounter a whacked person than a dog who needs a whack. ;) So I'm not talking about breaking laws or lawyers w/ imagination. :rolleyes:

i don't advocate whacking a dog...people on the other hand are a different story. Attempting to engage in combat with a dog, without assessing the disposition of the dog is likely to result in someone getting hurt. Dogs can be pretty quick and what starts out as an over friendly romp toward a leki pole swinging person is likely to end up in the dog turning aggressive just to defend itself. And I freely admit I don't recall nor do I know all the regs in all the sections of the AT so I'm not going to comment other than I know what I read every time I hit the trails down here.

Have a nice hike, and if you meet an aggressive animal, by all means protect yourself. Chances are it will be on two legs.:(

This may be true but if everyone kept their dog under what I think of as control and not give the old "Gee he's just so happy to see you" or "he's never done that before" type of excuse for their dogs poor training/behavior then there would be no need for this type of discussion here now would there?

Look I got absolutely no problems with you or your dog...as I said she is probably much better behaved when she is off her leash than my shepard mix (the neurotic one) is when on the leash...but you don't know with any kind of certainty how someone or someone's dog is going to react to your dog. If she comes immediately to you when called then fine otherwise I would suggest for her protection keep her on a leash.

Personally, if it's just me (no dog with me), I'm a dog friendly guy...that's how I ended up adopting two strays...oh gee look there's a lonely pup lets see if we can find it's owner and if not we'll just keep her...but unfortunately not everyone is like me. I can't tell you how many people are terrified of my Great Pyrenees but the worst either of them will do is lick you to death however I respect that other folks don't know that and try not to cause other folks the stress of a 90-100 pound dog coming their way without a human attached.

But HYOH just don't be surprised when someone wiggs out about your pup.

beakerman
01-20-2010, 19:43
I do have some questions though somewhat related to this topic...

for those of you that don't leash your dog: if your dog does he/she stay on the trail all the time? How do you know when they leave a gift mid trail if they are not ahead of you and in your sight all the time? That is another pet-peeve (no pun intended) of mine folks that leave their dog crap in the middle of the trail. If your dog (and I'm thinking for some reason that Nean's dog would fall in this category) is trained not to crap in the trail how exactly did you do it or were they just that darned smart to begin with?

Nean
01-20-2010, 19:51
I think its more like 1 in 100 dogs on a leash that I meet.:eek: However it is more like 1 in 1000 dogs that are aggressive.:-? Thats a lot of non aggressive dogs!;) Lumping them together doesn't play out on the trail. :)

If a dog walking by bothers you, the AT would be a bad place to hike.:o There are many other trails where one can find solitude.:sun

Nean
01-20-2010, 20:02
I do have some questions though somewhat related to this topic...

for those of you that don't leash your dog: if your dog does he/she stay on the trail all the time? How do you know when they leave a gift mid trail if they are not ahead of you and in your sight all the time? That is another pet-peeve (no pun intended) of mine folks that leave their dog crap in the middle of the trail. If your dog (and I'm thinking for some reason that Nean's dog would fall in this category) is trained not to crap in the trail how exactly did you do it or were they just that darned smart to begin with?

They learn pretty quick that its easier to poop off trail. ;)
If I see a poop too close to the trail -I relo it, regardless of anything but texture.:eek:

SassyWindsor
01-20-2010, 20:10
.......If a dog walking by bothers you, the AT would be a bad place to hike.:o There are many other trails where one can find solitude.:sun

As long as you don't mind your unleashed, unattended dog getting pepper sprayed because it is approaching a hiker that happens to be afraid of the unfamiliar animal everything should be fine.

beakerman
01-20-2010, 20:12
my dog never crapped on or next to the trail! she always went 75 feet or so off trail to crap!
never had to teach her much. the dog crap on the trail are probably the dogs whos owners keep them leashed all the time. but refuse to pick it up or relocate it!

I can agree with that assertion. All of my dogs crap where ever they are--I do get it off the trail regardless of texture (for Nean's benefit). However they do give me all the signs that they gotta go so I try to step off into the woods a little to let them do their stuff---nobody wants to see or smell a dog leaving a big old steamer as they walk by.

i guess I'm too worried about the other guy--I leash my dog so she doesn't eat someone else's dog, I try to put them off into the brush to do their business....maybe I should jsut say screw it and let them off leash and see what happens maybe I'm wrong:eek:

CrumbSnatcher
01-20-2010, 20:15
i taught my dog to stay out of the water source til everyone was done,and if it was a stream she would always go downstream from everyone so as not to stir up the muddy water

CrumbSnatcher
01-20-2010, 20:16
I can agree with that assertion. All of my dogs crap where ever they are--I do get it off the trail regardless of texture (for Nean's benefit). However they do give me all the signs that they gotta go so I try to step off into the woods a little to let them do their stuff---nobody wants to see or smell a dog leaving a big old steamer as they walk by.

i guess I'm too worried about the other guy--I leash my dog so she doesn't eat someone else's dog, I try to put them off into the brush to do their business....maybe I should jsut say screw it and let them off leash and see what happens maybe I'm wrong:eek:
what kind of dogs do you have?

sasquatch2014
01-20-2010, 21:23
I wish we had a smiley that had a shovel and shoed the action of digging up a dead horse.

Phreak
01-20-2010, 21:25
Unfortunately, having a dog on a leash doesn't mean the dog is under control. I love it when I'm running at Kennesaw Mtn and dip***** owners have their dogs on a retractible leads that are stretched to its full length... blocking the entire trail.

Jester2000
01-20-2010, 23:26
I wish we had a smiley that had a shovel and shoed the action of digging up a dead horse.

We got it. You thought 24 posts was too many to devote to the subject. Noted. You can unsubscribe from this thread if its existence irks you.

Although you may want to consider the possibility that we've all PM'd one another and are continuing to post just to bother you. And amaze you.

Johnny Thunder
01-20-2010, 23:43
beets

bears

battlestar gallactica

beakerman
01-21-2010, 01:46
beets

bears

battlestar gallactica

I'll take battlestar gallactica for 1000 alex...

beakerman
01-21-2010, 01:50
what kind of dogs do you have?

i have 2 great pyrenees (1 male and 1 female---great with kids, most other dogs except the wee-tiny ones like rats and they have big tongues---very efficient lickers), a german shepard mix (female--the psycho one that I absolutley have to keep on a leash because she is afraid everything is going to attack her or us) and one old mutt whose trail days are over but she is still waiting for god...

makoboy
01-21-2010, 09:30
While it may only be 1 in 1000 dogs that are off leash and agressive, that is enough for me. My dog was attacked once in our condo complex by an off leash dog. I spent a solid 5 minutes (seemed like alot longer at the time) keeping myself between my dog and the attacker until somone else came by, and got bit in the process. If I could have shot the other dog, I would have and been willing to face the consequences. As a result of all this, I now carry pepper spray wherever I go with my dog. If your dog is off lead and charges me, freindly or not, it will get sprayed. I dont know you, or your dog. Leash laws and the theory of negligence are on my side. One bite, stitches and course of rabies shots is enough for me in my life.

Nean
01-21-2010, 10:01
Youens with the unhealthy dog phobias should get some help before getting on a very popular dog trail. :)

Hopefully you wont brave the trail in season as you will be spending much of your time spraying friendly dogs and dealing with the fallout. Not to mention the extra weight of all that pepper spray you will be carrying or the white knuckle grip you'll have on the canister all day -every day.:eek:

As for leash laws: it is legal to have an unleashed dog on most of the trail, so give that some time to sink in. Seems some want to make up their own laws.:rolleyes:

I have a problem w/ someone bringing an aggressive dog on the trail- and justifying it by saying it stays on a leash.:mad:

I'll bet most people have had an aggressive dog experience in their life. If that has given you a fear of dogs- period, do yourself and every dog you are most likely to encounter a break and hike elsewhere. Otherwise you are getting on the trail looking for trouble- knowing you will find it.:(

makoboy
01-21-2010, 10:13
Nean, unfortuantely you display a common problem with many people. You fail to see the line in the sand where your right to do something is limited by your infringing on the rights of others. Loud obnoxious kids at a restaurant, then dont go out to eat. People yelling and talking at a movie theater, then dont go to the movies.

That aside, there is a very simple way to keep your unknown dog from charging me. Its called a leash, if voice controll doesnt keep your dog at your side all the time, get one. I use one, you should too. And its not b/c my dog is in any way agressive, but b/c its what i do to be respectful of those who may not like my dog as much as me.

Deb
01-21-2010, 10:26
I agree with Makoboy.

Nean
01-21-2010, 10:50
Makoboy, its unfortunate you display a rare problem of dealing w/ reality.:D

Don't like loud kids? Don't go to Chucky Cheese for lunch.:eek: Don't like people yelling at the movies- don't go to the Rocky Mountain Horror Show. :eek:

Like turning a dog walking down the trail into one thats "charging " you- or assuming unleashed aggressive dogs on the trail are a problem, then you are lookin for trouble and I can assure you- you will find it on the AT, often many times a day. That's real life- best for you to find a trail where dogs are required to be leashed.

A better untwisted example would be for you to go to a smoking restaurant and complain and threaten people there that were smoking. :rolleyes:

ShelterLeopard
01-21-2010, 11:09
I'll take battlestar gallactica for 1000 alex...

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-stargate007.gif (http://www.thescifiworld.net/smilies.htm) Oh wait, that's stargate...

SassyWindsor
01-21-2010, 15:30
Finding a trail with no dogs is impossible and to try is not an option.

Solution: I'll continue to hike any trail I wish, along with my pepper spray and sharp walking sticks, you can bring your unleashed dog. No problem.

beakerman
01-21-2010, 19:58
Youens with the unhealthy dog phobias should get some help before getting on a very popular dog trail. :)

Hopefully you wont brave the trail in season as you will be spending much of your time spraying friendly dogs and dealing with the fallout. Not to mention the extra weight of all that pepper spray you will be carrying or the white knuckle grip you'll have on the canister all day -every day.:eek:

As for leash laws: it is legal to have an unleashed dog on most of the trail, so give that some time to sink in. Seems some want to make up their own laws.:rolleyes:

I have a problem w/ someone bringing an aggressive dog on the trail- and justifying it by saying it stays on a leash.:mad:

I'll bet most people have had an aggressive dog experience in their life. If that has given you a fear of dogs- period, do yourself and every dog you are most likely to encounter a break and hike elsewhere. Otherwise you are getting on the trail looking for trouble- knowing you will find it.:(

You cleary don't care much for your apparently well behaved dog...you keep making it about the other guy's fear of dogs. What about the danger to your dog?

You have not addressed that at all period. You can not predict how my dog will interact with your dog with any kind of accuracy.

I never said this to anyone before but I truely hope you and I never meet on a trail when I have my shepard with me...it could be ugly. If I'm without my dog there's no problem.

beakerman
01-21-2010, 19:59
it's simple: if everyone put their damned dogs on leashes there would be no problems with dogs...aggressive or otherwise.

CrumbSnatcher
01-21-2010, 20:55
damned dogs .
i'd like to think the owner is to blame not the dog;)

Phreak
01-21-2010, 21:59
it's simple: if everyone put their damned dogs on leashes there would be no problems with dogs...aggressive or otherwise.
As I mentioned earlier, a dog on a leash is still a threat to others. I can't count the number of dogs on leashes that lunge at me while I'm trail running.

It'd be nice if dog owners would take the time to properly train their dogs. I never even considered taking my dogs on trails until they were properly trained and earned the privilege of trail running, hiking and backpacking.

Nean
01-22-2010, 14:19
Aggressive dogs have no place on the trail- I don't care if they are on a leash. :mad:

Parinoid cyber hiking is one thing- theroies and such...:rolleyes: Walking down the trail is another.:)

I'm not going to stop using my common sense over unfounded fear- (of dogs or people).:cool:

For those who truely are afraid and start injuring freindly dogs and people- well, you won't be on the trail long anyways.:banana Most, like me when I was a dog con- soon relax and get over it- and/or themselves.;)

The AT is a dog freindly trail and from what I can tell the dog numbers keep going up. So, for those who haven't spent much time on this trail, you can expect to see many unleashed, non agressive dogs. :sun
If I meet a dog that is too friendly or not friendly enough, I simply ask the owner to leash his dog for that moment in time. This method has worked out really well......on the trail..... and I'd suggest it to anyone.:welcome

Blissful
01-22-2010, 23:12
Believe it or not, I am using an infomercial dog training tool (http://www.thane.com/products/promos/perfectdog/perfectdog.php)that seems to be working so far on my new blue tick coonhound we got from the SPCA (we have only just used it for two weeks) Hope to get her trail ready by this summer. Might be worth looking into. I really like the guy's philosophy. His goal is off leash control and thus freedom for you and your pooch (of course, where off leash is allowed). It uses a special training collar, rope lines, and has good DVDs on training. But you have to be committed and consistent.

(http://www.thane.com)

Takijeep
01-23-2010, 00:17
Just my 2 cents, law is my hobby, I have run a dog rescue that ran from Florida to New Hampshire and I feel safe when I say that the law in general states that no leash means no control, no training will replace an appropriate lead. I am a dog lover and trainer and today I was walking in Charleston, SC and was attacked by two dogs that ended with an irate owner and two dogs on the way to the vet. BTW love my hiking poles, they punch 1/4 inch holes through cheeks jowls and eyes like nothing. Have dog means you need a lead.

prain4u
01-23-2010, 05:13
HARSH REALITY # 1: Dogs are REQUIRED (by law) to be on a leash on more than 40% of the Appalachian Trail. Dogs are totally PROHIBITED in Great Smokey Mountain National Park and Baxter State Park (except for service animals). In the end, nearly half of the AT has some sort of regulation regarding dogs.

HARSH REALITY # 2: Dogs (and unleashed dogs) are going to be present on the AT. You can cite all the regulations that you want, but the unleashed dogs are NOT going away.

HARSH REALITY # 3: If your dog bites someone or damages someone's property, you could potentially face criminal and civil court involvement. That could prove to be both time consuming and costly.

HARSH REALITY # 4: Whether you think it is justified (or not), there are numerous hikers who are willing to defend themselves against real (or imagined) dog attacks by using hiking poles, sticks, rocks, pepper spray, and good solid kicks from a hiking boot. A dog may become injured or killed in the process (and the courts will probably not do much about it).

HARSH REALITY # 5: If you injure or threaten someone's dog, the butt kicking that the dog's owner inflicts upon you may cause you more actual harm than any dog bite!

BOTTOM LINE: There is only one AT--and we all have an equal right to be on it. It is not realistic to think that there will be no unleashed dogs on the AT. It is equally unrealistic to think that your dog will never be struck with a trekking pole or sprayed with pepper spray if the dog is running around "off leash" and someone feels annoyed or threatened by your dog. Both "sides" need to accept the "harsh realities" and deal with them.

To quote Rodney King: "Why can't we all just get along?"

Pedaling Fool
01-26-2010, 16:04
I was riding on a busy road today and I see this pit bull coming after me, I could of easily out paced it, but I saw a lady chasing after it with another dog which she was holding on to by the collar, so she couldn't run too fast.

I stopped since it was a busy road and I didn't want the dog to get hit, kept it out of the road until she got there.

Guess what she said.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
"Sorry...he never does that":D

Two Speed
01-26-2010, 16:54
Gotta be a decent joke with "Sorry...he never does that" as a punch line.

Jester2000
01-26-2010, 17:06
That's what she said.

solobip
01-26-2010, 18:27
never met a dog i didn't like, as for hikers :-?
I am with you on this one Karl

bfree
01-27-2010, 21:44

Rain Man

http://blog.internetnews.com/apatrizio/orly_owl.jpg

Two Speed
01-27-2010, 22:30
bfree, that was pretty funny, but don't do that again, please.

Keith and Jack
01-28-2010, 11:17
beets

bears

battlestar gallactica

Office. That is funny.

Keith and Jack
01-28-2010, 11:50
HARSH REALITY # 1: Dogs are REQUIRED (by law) to be on a leash on more than 40% of the Appalachian Trail. Dogs are totally PROHIBITED in Great Smokey Mountain National Park and Baxter State Park (except for service animals). In the end, nearly half of the AT has some sort of regulation regarding dogs.

HARSH REALITY # 2: Dogs (and unleashed dogs) are going to be present on the AT. You can cite all the regulations that you want, but the unleashed dogs are NOT going away.

HARSH REALITY # 3: If your dog bites someone or damages someone's property, you could potentially face criminal and civil court involvement. That could prove to be both time consuming and costly.

HARSH REALITY # 4: Whether you think it is justified (or not), there are numerous hikers who are willing to defend themselves against real (or imagined) dog attacks by using hiking poles, sticks, rocks, pepper spray, and good solid kicks from a hiking boot. A dog may become injured or killed in the process (and the courts will probably not do much about it).

HARSH REALITY # 5: If you injure or threaten someone's dog, the butt kicking that the dog's owner inflicts upon you may cause you more actual harm than any dog bite!

BOTTOM LINE: There is only one AT--and we all have an equal right to be on it. It is not realistic to think that there will be no unleashed dogs on the AT. It is equally unrealistic to think that your dog will never be struck with a trekking pole or sprayed with pepper spray if the dog is running around "off leash" and someone feels annoyed or threatened by your dog. Both "sides" need to accept the "harsh realities" and deal with them.

To quote Rodney King: "Why can't we all just get along?"

This post should of ended with this.

Pedaling Fool
02-06-2010, 11:04
I don't know if you call this irony or poetic justice

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Dog-Mauling-In-Slovenia-Doctor-Killed-By-Bullmastiffs-He-Spent-Four-Years-Trying-To-Save/Article/201002115541747

Dog Lover Is Mauled To Death By His Pets

10:39pm UK, Wednesday February 03, 2010
Damien Pearse, Sky News Online

A doctor who won a four-year legal battle to save his three dogs from being put down for attacking humans has been mauled to death by the animals.

The 52-year-old victim was attacked in his garden in Ljubljana, Slovenia, and died before police arrived.
Officers shot one of the bullmastiffs dead and the other two were put down.

It has emerged that the pets had seriously injured a passer-by outside the owner's house four years ago.

They spent years in "custody" pending legal hearings, but when one of them attacked a dog handler, authorities ordered them to be put down.

But at the eleventh hour, in June last year, the doctor succeeded in overturning the order and got his dogs back, sparking national controversy.

But now police have revealed that the dogs have turned on the owner and killed him.

"Three dogs bit their 52-year-old owner to death in Ljubljana yesterday," police spokeswoman Maja Adlesic said. News of the owner's death prompted an opposition party call for the resignation of the agriculture minister for failing to stop the dogs being released.

Police gave no more details and have so far refused to identify the victim, in line with country's privacy laws.

yappy
02-06-2010, 11:34
Nean head West again hiker trash ! I just try and take my dogs where I am not gonna run into many people... that way they are free to stretch their legs and I can keep an eye out for someone that mayb coming which is rare. I personally have had only great encounters w dogs on the AT... the owners are another story though sadly

Incahiker
04-16-2010, 10:30
Damn, I swear, all the people complaining about dogs... lol. Well, everyone has their own opinion and maybe have had bad experiences with dogs when they were younger. I have been attacked by dogs before and I still love em to death. Now, if we are walking down the trail and your fido happens to go crazy and attack me, I can easily tell you right now that your dog will have some broken ribs or a tongue ripped out of its mouth, so it's your fault that you let your nutty dog off the leash and now it is dying on the trail. I love seeing dogs on the trail and love to pet them if they come up to me in a friendly manner.
My dog and I have been attacked by a pair of pit bulls before in our neighborhood, and I had my hiking boots on and kicked the ***** out of them and felt the crunch and collapse of their rib cage and it traveled through its ribs and up to it's spinal column. I am sure that was the death of them and they took off. Another trick is to stick your hands down their throat as far as possible and just grab hold of whatever flesh you can get.
Now if people knowingly let an aggressive dog run free on the trail then shame on them, but the rest of the people with normal pooches, I don't have a problem at all with those dogs, matter of fact "The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

Blue Jay
04-17-2010, 11:21

I agree with most of this post however #1 is a joke not "reality" and to #3 the reality is that dog people are very very good at disappearing due to practice.:confused:

Blue Jay
04-17-2010, 11:24
I don't know if you call this irony or poetic justice

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World-News/Dog-Mauling-In-Slovenia-Doctor-Killed-By-Bullmastiffs-He-Spent-Four-Years-Trying-To-Save/Article/201002115541747

Dog Lover Is Mauled To Death By His Pets

10:39pm UK, Wednesday February 03, 2010
Damien Pearse, Sky News Online

A doctor who won a four-year legal battle to save his three dogs from being put down for attacking humans has been mauled to death by the animals.

The 52-year-old victim was attacked in his garden in Ljubljana, Slovenia, and died before police arrived.
Officers shot one of the bullmastiffs dead and the other two were put down.

It has emerged that the pets had seriously injured a passer-by outside the owner's house four years ago.

They spent years in "custody" pending legal hearings, but when one of them attacked a dog handler, authorities ordered them to be put down.

But at the eleventh hour, in June last year, the doctor succeeded in overturning the order and got his dogs back, sparking national controversy.

But now police have revealed that the dogs have turned on the owner and killed him.

"Three dogs bit their 52-year-old owner to death in Ljubljana yesterday," police spokeswoman Maja Adlesic said. News of the owner's death prompted an opposition party call for the resignation of the agriculture minister for failing to stop the dogs being released.

Police gave no more details and have so far refused to identify the victim, in line with country's privacy laws.

Thank you for that one, not often you get a good news story.

yappy
04-17-2010, 11:55
Most folks should NOT take a dog on the trail. They have NO clue how hard it is on an animal. The AT is sooo darn busy... yikes ! This Alaskan, where dogs run free, has a hard time seeing these animals on a leash for 2000 freaking miles. hello ??!!! Dogs are NOT meant to go 2 miles an hour. It tires them completely. Go do the Pct sobo and your dogs will have much more freedom. I love the AT with a passion but I wouldn't ask my dog to do it anymore

Jester2000
04-20-2010, 12:58
Go do the Pct sobo and your dogs will have much more freedom. . .

. . . except in the places on the PCT where dogs are not allowed.

yappy
04-20-2010, 23:37
There are places they aren't allowed on the AT too... find ways around that problem

Jester2000
04-21-2010, 08:51
There are places they aren't allowed on the AT too... find ways around that problem

I don't have to. I don't take a dog on long distance hikes. I was just pointing out that there are sections (like Kings Canyon & the Yosemite backcountry) where no dogs are allowed. It's difficult to "find ways around that problem" if you don't know that problem exists.

Two Speed
04-21-2010, 14:24
Then in that case please be so kind as to not post on this forum unless you have something constructive to add. For further reference please refer to the sticky (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16259) at the top of the forum.

Thanks.

kanga
04-21-2010, 16:57
huh?

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Wise Old Owl
04-21-2010, 19:02
Most folks should NOT take a dog on the trail. They have NO clue how hard it is on an animal. The AT is sooo darn busy... yikes ! This Alaskan, where dogs run free, has a hard time seeing these animals on a leash for 2000 freaking miles. hello ??!!! Dogs are NOT meant to go 2 miles an hour. It tires them completely. Go do the Pct sobo and your dogs will have much more freedom. I love the AT with a passion but I wouldn't ask my dog to do it anymore

I have avoided reading some of this thread, but Yappy where are you coming from? Most hikers achieve 3.5 or 4 mph and the dogs adjust. I thought the Iditerod in Alaska was 1100 miles or more in sub freezing temps? And the AT is not that busy unless you are at the start on opening day. And as soon as the people drop off so does the leash... ;)

kanga
04-21-2010, 19:14
fear mongering... oh wait. that was another thread.

traildust
04-22-2010, 10:32
The dog and I will be northbound in 2011 starting in April. If you don't want to be licked, comforted when you are tired, made to smile, then please start ahead of us and don't look back in fear unless that big bear is behind you. Something to really be concerned about. In 900 miles of A.T. hiking we came across only two hikers with dogs and they were great.

yappy
04-23-2010, 17:59
The iditarod is a hole different ball of wax. it lasts less then 10 days for the top mushers, the dogs are world class athletes and have been training for months under very TUFF conditions in order to race. Most hikers just take dogs on trail not having a CLUE what the dog or them for that matter are capable of. Most folks i see are difinitely going 2 miles an hr sometimes slower. They have a death grip on the dog who looks pained to say the least or on the flip side the are doing big miles before the dog is capable. there is PLENTY of that going on for your viewing pleasure on the AT. take your pick.. I have seen very few happy long distance dogs sadly. Most of them are limping, over heated and over packed. We took Lulu on the Pct and Long trail. She lead the hike she just didn't know it. the dog ,in my opinion has to come first. please and I am begging don't drag your dog down the trail...go home or have plan b. Without a doubt at some point you are gonna need one.

yappy
04-23-2010, 18:14
I don't have to. I don't take a dog on long distance hikes. I was just pointing out that there are sections (like Kings Canyon & the Yosemite backcountry) where no dogs are allowed. It's difficult to "find ways around that problem" if you don't know that problem exists.
well, I hope future hikers hoping to take a dog on any trail find out whether they can go the distance on not... geez...at least find out where they can't take a dog. Good grief !

neighbor dave
04-23-2010, 18:27
why are dogs not an issue when it comes to the iditarod?:confused:

yappy
04-23-2010, 18:40
They are difinitely an issue. I have mixed feeling about the long races up here . They are incredibly hard on the dogs. The love to run but I think they are pushed too hard by many folks... including our beloved Mackey. he has never had a dog die that I know of but he asks ALOT of them. They do love to run though... only exercise they get.. otherwise they spend their days on a chain. I think they are running the big races too fast these days. ... they are breeding the Super dog and when the dog turns out to be not as fast as they like they find another home, take to pound or shoot it. Alaska has its own dog problems believe you me.

I admit when it come to hiking w dogs on these trails I get upset cuz I have seen sooo many things that break my heart. Very few prepared hikers.. it is astounding how many dillweeds strike out w their dogs ! it pisses me off.. hurt yourself if you want to but, by God, when you take an animal out you don't come first.

neighbor dave
04-23-2010, 18:44
:-? i heart lulu :welcome:sun:welcome:sun.

yappy
04-23-2010, 18:52
neighbor, when we hiking the Cdt ????..:)

neighbor dave
04-23-2010, 18:55
you know when....
me likey buddy the pooch too!!:sun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L53sAVRZUE4

Wise Old Owl
04-23-2010, 21:02
Yappy, the dogs love to be on any trail, We pull out our packs or in my case put on a sneaker and the dogs go ballistic. Not everyone is a dill weed. The whole point of WB is to educate rather than admonish folk about their dogs and answer their questions as best as possible.

Phreak
04-23-2010, 21:18
Yappy, the dogs love to be on any trail, We pull out our packs or in my case put on a sneaker and the dogs go ballistic. Not everyone is a dill weed. The whole point of WB is to educate rather than admonish folk about their dogs and answer their questions as best as possible.

Well said WOO.

yappy
04-24-2010, 11:12
Hi Wise..:) I hear you and I know they love it... heck my dogs get goofy when the car starts ! I am only talking about long distance hikes... when dogs can and often do become very very tired. Our sleddies up here can sleep 15 hrs with little or no effort and ld dogs can use the same type of rest. I have seen lots of dogs in hostels getting little of that while the owners have a grand old time. I have also seen them literally dragging the dogs down the trail after 1000 miles or so.

I just wish with all my dog loving heart that hikers would show as much care for their animals as they do for themselves... and yes, there are some great ld owners out there and i tip my hat to them for sure.

Phreak
04-24-2010, 13:14
Hi Wise..:) I hear you and I know they love it... heck my dogs get goofy when the car starts ! I am only talking about long distance hikes... when dogs can and often do become very very tired. Our sleddies up here can sleep 15 hrs with little or no effort and ld dogs can use the same type of rest. I have seen lots of dogs in hostels getting little of that while the owners have a grand old time. I have also seen them literally dragging the dogs down the trail after 1000 miles or so.

I just wish with all my dog loving heart that hikers would show as much care for their animals as they do for themselves... and yes, there are some great ld owners out there and i tip my hat to them for sure.
I agree yappy. People need to make their dog(s) their top priority or leave them at home. I've bailed early on many hikes because things like the weather was too much for them.

yappy
04-24-2010, 23:39
I think alot of these problems would just solve themselves if people did just that Phreak. Put their animals ahead of their egos...

Two Speed
04-25-2010, 06:56
Maybe rephrase that a little: consider the dog as a partner on the hike, a partner who's
well being is as important as yours.
doesn't have the same rights of entry to all facilities as you
can't vocalize when something hurts or when they're hungry, cold or just bored
That's a rough sketch I worked up in a minute or two. If someone wants to take a shot at improving that I'd appreciate it.

Johnnyutah
05-01-2010, 11:37
So bascially, are my plans screwed. I hate for this to be my first post here, but it is the stage of planning I am and in there seems to be quite alot of Dog Hate across all boards.

1. I would be hiking with a 100lb German Shepherd. Heels on cammand even around other dogs and wildlife, better behaved thamn the majority of people, but he is big and from what I have been reading would "look aggresssive".

2. A fearful dog on leash is 100 times more likely to bite out of fear than a confident dog off leash would bite out of aggression.

3. While the dog is very well behaved and under control off leash even though many appear to think that just isnt possible, if some old fart starts swingin poles in an agrssive manner and starts to kick at the pup for no reason, well I'll keep my thought private on that.

The pup can handle the trip physically, daily runs weekly hikes, no worries there, now my woriies seem to be more about people On all the hikes Ive done, ive met way more crazy people than crazy dogs. This part of the research is making me really rethink my trip.

Two Speed
05-01-2010, 11:45
So bascially, are my plans screwed . . . This part of the research is making me really rethink my trip.I wouldn't kill taking the dog based on this thread. My experience is there are a lot more dog haters on the web than on the trail.

That said, taking a dog on a thru hike is a tremendous commitment in terms of taking care of the dog.

Short version: if you're just starting your research I'd keep my mind open, and do some trips on the trail itself to see how things go, whether or not you're able to take care of the dog and yourself while being considerate of people who don't like dogs as much as you do.

yari
08-29-2010, 14:03
but, by God, when you take an animal out you don't come first.

I totally agree. If I do decide to take my dog with me and he can't hang, he goes home. I am the one in control and it is my responsibility to make sure he is happy and healthy.

yari
08-29-2010, 14:12
So bascially, are my plans screwed. I hate for this to be my first post here, but it is the stage of planning I am and in there seems to be quite alot of Dog Hate across all boards.

1. I would be hiking with a 100lb German Shepherd. Heels on cammand even around other dogs and wildlife, better behaved thamn the majority of people, but he is big and from what I have been reading would "look aggresssive".

2. A fearful dog on leash is 100 times more likely to bite out of fear than a confident dog off leash would bite out of aggression.

3. While the dog is very well behaved and under control off leash even though many appear to think that just isnt possible, if some old fart starts swingin poles in an agrssive manner and starts to kick at the pup for no reason, well I'll keep my thought private on that.

The pup can handle the trip physically, daily runs weekly hikes, no worries there, now my woriies seem to be more about people On all the hikes Ive done, ive met way more crazy people than crazy dogs. This part of the research is making me really rethink my trip.

I am in the same place with the same type of dog. 100lb German Shepherd. So far it looks like he is going to have to stay leashed simply because he does look so imtimidating. Hell, to be honest, if I didn't know him and saw him running at me (tail a-waggin' or not) I would be nervous. The simple fact of the matter is he could do someone real harm if he wanted to (which so far he hasn't) but, you never know (I don't care how well trained your dog is or how long you have had him/her, you NEVER. KNOW). And we will have to plan on always sleeping out. This will make it much more difficult to do the hike. I am glad I am planning so far ahead, gives me a lot of time to think this through. The hike is going to happen, not sure if the beast is going to come with me. Which would be a shame because I think it would enrich my experience alot to have him there. And all my trips (camping/hiking) so far he has absolutely loved.

LIhikers
08-29-2010, 20:22
My wife and I also have a Shepherd and hike with her.
We keep her on leash, a Flexi-lead, all the time because we're sure she would chase small animals like chipmunks and squirrels. The time we came across the moose, now that was a whole different story.

Wise Old Owl
08-29-2010, 20:41
They are difinitely an issue. I have mixed feeling about the long races up here . They are incredibly hard on the dogs. The love to run but I think they are pushed too hard by many folks... including our beloved Mackey. he has never had a dog die that I know of but he asks ALOT of them. They do love to run though... only exercise they get.. otherwise they spend their days on a chain. I think they are running the big races too fast these days. ... they are breeding the Super dog and when the dog turns out to be not as fast as they like they find another home, take to pound or shoot it. Alaska has its own dog problems believe you me.

I admit when it come to hiking w dogs on these trails I get upset cuz I have seen sooo many things that break my heart. Very few prepared hikers.. it is astounding how many dillweeds strike out w their dogs ! it pisses me off.. hurt yourself if you want to but, by God, when you take an animal out you don't come first.

What is the source of that information? please PM me. I am interested to read more.

Don H
08-29-2010, 22:12
When I was bitten by a dog while hiking I was very well compensated by the dog owners insurance company.