PDA

View Full Version : It's time to talk about clothing...

Roughin' It
01-20-2010, 21:57
I have been reading alot of what people on whiteblaze have to say about the clothing they used on their thru-hike. This is the final stage of things I have to buy before I leave in March for my thru-hike.
I am starting this thread so that hopefully I can get some sort of actual idea or summary about what to get vs. what not to get. I guess I am most worried about the cold weather to start with.

For example:

-convertible pants vs. baselayer bottom & short combo
-do I need rainpants?
-are there any waterproof convertible pants?
-do you carry a longsleeve and shortsleeve baselayer, and just ditch the longsleeve later?
-do I need sock liners?
-do you have an outfit just for sleeping?
-down vest vs. fleece jacket?
-2 pairs underarmor underwear enough?

I guess I am just kinda worried because the outfitter near me doesn't have a very good selection of clothing, and I have to just buy online and hope it works out. If you have any clothing tips, please pass them along to me here. thanks!

climber2377
01-20-2010, 22:21
i am leaving in march too. hit the dirt on the 15th, myself. i am not too sure what others think, but i have been doing some reading and some thinking on my own. i am packing this as of right now...

a longsleeve hiking thermal shirt which is like underarmor only thicker
a fleece,
2 pairs of hiking socks (wigwam made in sheboigan)
2 pair of regular socks (my feet are always cold)
a long sleeve button down northface shirt
a nike wicking short sleeve shirt
a nordictrac wicking short sleeve shirt
a rain coat and rain pants,
i am thinking 3 pairs of underwear, might get the underarmor ones people talk about.
a pair of umbro like shorts,
a long sleeve acrylic thin sweater,
i am debating polyester warm up pants,
i dont know what other pants to bring if any.
mostly i think i ll be sleeping in very little...maybe shorts and t shirt??
a baseball cap,
a winter hat and
a pair of fake crocs
a pair of thin stretchy gloves

it sounds like a lot to me, but i would rather have it to start and drop it or mail it if i dont want it or use it. i think that is everything in the "dresser" for now

SGT Rock
01-20-2010, 22:32
Clothing is the hardest thing to recommend to a person because we all deal with the weather so differently. It also depends on how you use the clothing you have. I wrote a detailed article about what I carried on a January start and how I used it. It's here if you are interested in reading it: http://hikinghq.net/stay_warm.html

Also one season ain't always like the last. This year we had some bad cold temps down south here that lasted longer than the stretch I hit in '08, but the actual temps ain't all that different, and last year was wetter than this year has been so far.

My opinion is base layer is better.

-do I need rainpants?

My opinion is you do. You can send them home later if that seems to work out for you. Know that in March/April we tend to get surprise snow storms in the mountains around here.

Not that I know of. And not that I would want to use either. Imagine shorts that don't breath.

-do you carry a longsleeve and shortsleeve baselayer, and just ditch the longsleeve later?
I had one of each and never ditched the long sleeve. Of course I only made it about 815 miles.

-do I need sock liners?
Depends on your footwear and your feet. I don't use liners.

I don't

-down vest vs. fleece jacket?I vote for down.

Probably.

drifters quest
01-20-2010, 23:20
Well, im bringing a little extra clothing for sleeping in. I had the same question not long ago and basically came out of it that i needed to try out my system and see if it works.

I ended up sleeping in two pairs of socks, running tights, baselayer bottoms, hiking pants, shirt, baselayer top, fleece top, marmot venus down jacket, balaclava, gloves, and hat. I was in a fifteen degree down bag with a good pad and I was comfortable although my toes were still cold all night (may have had to do with them getting smashed at the bottom of my bag from me sliding down all night)- i also had two handwarmers in my bag. The temps were probably in the teens. The only thing I had with me that I didnt wear to bed was my hiking socks, my waterproof jacket (used as my pillow), hiking gloves, and my hat. I dont think i would have been comfortable with less.

So basically, try out what you think will work and use that as a base.. if you are too cold you may need more, if you are plenty warm, you may be able to get by with less. I'm gonna try using a liner and see if i can get rid of one thing or another and still stay comfortable. I have my baselayers and an extra pair of socks specifically for sleeping in just in case the rest of my clothes get wet hiking. I am also getting a pair of rain pants.. temps in the high 30's plus sideways rain and soaked pants is a recipe for hypothermia.

BrianLe
01-21-2010, 01:56
I'm with Sgt Rock --- can't really recommend a specific set of clothing to someone, just get in the right ballpark and do some shakedown backpacks if possible to test stuff out, and of course be ready to adjust as you go.

Specifics:

-convertible pants vs. baselayer bottom & short combo --- I personally always wear long pants, very much an individual preference

-do I need rainpants? --- my personal preference is very lightweight rain chaps. Will almost certainly mail those home somewhere in VA.

-are there any waterproof convertible pants? --- I can't think why you would want these. For me, at least, it's best to have pants that breathe.

-do you carry a longsleeve and shortsleeve baselayer, and just ditch the longsleeve later? --- That's exactly what I'm planning: long sleeved thin smartwool top as well as a hiking shirt. Can layer them, can wear the smartwool in town while washing the other shirt and vice versa. Later will swap for a short sleeve shirt that's mostly just something to wear in town when washing.

-do I need sock liners? --- I recommend them, but ... again with Sgt Rock's comments. In warm weather I just wear liners, starting out it will vary but likely layered under some sort of wool sock.

-do you have an outfit just for sleeping? --- no friggin' way, if it's not useful when I'm awake I'm not carrying it.

-down vest vs. fleece jacket? --- Neither for me. Starting with a down parka in late Feb, will swap to a Montbell thermawrap jacket later on.

-2 pairs underarmor underwear enough? --- I personally prefer just one pair, with my second pair of "underwear" being running shorts that I can wear in town when washing clothes or use as a swimsuit at need.

I suggest that Sgt Rock's comment is worth reading yet again:

"Clothing is the hardest thing to recommend to a person because we all deal with the weather so differently. It also depends on how you use the clothing you have."

RollingStone
01-21-2010, 07:52
BASELAYERS

-do I need rainpants?
THEY COME IN HANDY FOR AVARIETY OF REASONS BUT ESPECIALLY FOR THE OCCASIONAL SNOW

ALWAYS HAVE A LONG SLEEVED AVAILABLE

-do I need sock liners?
I DON"T USE THEM

I SLEEP IN MY LONG SLEEVED SHIRT, MIDWEIGHT DUO FOLD PANTS, WITH WOOL SOCKS

I USE A POLARTECH WINDPROOF FLEECE JACKET IN COMBINATION WITH MY RAIN JACKET WHEN IT'S COLD ENOUGH. BUT DOWN PACKS DOWN MUCH SMALLER AND IS USUALLY LIGHTER

I guess I am just kinda worried because the outfitter near me doesn't have a very good selection of clothing, and I have to just buy online and hope it works out. If you have any clothing tips, please pass them along to me here. thanks!
TRY TO SHOP AT PLACES LIKE REI AND EMS WHO WONT GIVE YOU ANY GUFF ABOUT RETURNS.

Hokie
01-21-2010, 08:41
"Specifics:

-convertible pants vs. baselayer bottom & short combo --- I personally always wear long pants, very much an individual preference"

Agree with BrianLe quote above. Another vote for long pants beyond weather preferences is whether you are allergic to poison ivy which can encroach against bare legs on the trail in warmer weather. Somewhat section dependent. There is also a section above Lehigh Gap in PA where stinging nettle is tall and hangs over the sides of the trail enough where it is unavoidably going to touch your legs by July on.

Seeker
01-21-2010, 08:49
I ended up sleeping in two pairs of socks, running tights, baselayer bottoms, hiking pants, shirt, baselayer top, fleece top, marmot venus down jacket, balaclava, gloves, and hat. I was in a fifteen degree down bag with a good pad and I was comfortable although my toes were still cold all night (may have had to do with them getting smashed at the bottom of my bag from me sliding down all night)-

it's also possible you cut off the circulation to your toes with the running tights and two pairs of socks, unless they were REALLY loose socks. next time, try it without the tights and only a pair of loose socks.

garlic08
01-21-2010, 09:56

Totally up to you. Personally I just use lightweight long trousers all the time, works for me and keeps off the ticks and sun.

-do I need rainpants?

I say yes, until the summer.

No

Just a long sleeve, all the time.

-do I need sock liners?

Not me, you might--they're really light and easy to ditch if they don't work for you.

Not me.

Down vest for me, until mid-May.

None at all for me--just the long sleeve base layer above.

Blissful
01-21-2010, 15:25
Convertible pants
I kept a long and short sleeve shirt throughout my hike
Down jacket for me to start
Clothes I changed into in camp were my sleep clothes. need to change out of hiking / sweaty clothes
No sock liners but bring at least three pair of good socks

Spokes
01-21-2010, 15:47
http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4

'nuff said.

leaftye
01-21-2010, 15:57
I'll be the dissenting vote on liner socks. Lately I've been experimenting with wearing only pairs of liner socks and I'm loving it so far.

SGT Rock
01-21-2010, 15:59
I'll be the dissenting vote on liner socks. Lately I've been experimenting with wearing only pairs of liner socks and I'm loving it so far.

I've done that too. It worked out nice. But I found the ankle high running socks with a little bit of cushion were SWEET:cool:

drifters quest
01-21-2010, 16:34
Thought about that seeker. The running pants weren't very tight at all (infact they ride up a bit) but the inner layer socks may have been too tight. Fleece socks may be a better option for sleeping socks too.

leaftye
01-21-2010, 17:06
Instead of carrying extra socks to bed, what about down booties? A guy on backpacklight just started making them for people. They weight about 2 oz for the pair and I believe the loft is 3". He's planning on making shells to let people use them as camp shoes.

Bronk
01-22-2010, 05:53
I never used rain pants...I had a nylon rain jacket that came about halfway to my knees...I wore nylon jogging pants ($10 at Walmart) and just got wet...realistically, if you are wearing anything water proof you are going to sweat inside it and be just as wet. The beauty of nylon jogging pants is that they dry out very quickly and don't hold a lot of water...and you can wash them in a sink with a bit of soap when you don't have access to a laundromat.

You will want sock liners. They keep your feet from rubbing and getting blisters. Over 800 miles and I never had a single blister. If you want to save money, buy some nylon dress socks at Walmart...they will serve the same purpose for a couple dollars.

I didn't have anything down...starting in the spring pretty much everything you have will get wet...just about the time it all starts to dry out it will rain again. I had a tshirt, a long sleeve fleece, a fleece vest, and a nylon rain jacket and I was warm even on the days it was snowy or freezing rain.

weary
01-22-2010, 11:35
LLBean has a rather remarkable internet winter outerwear sale today through Sunday. Items are between 50% and 70% off. Shipping is mostly free. I was sorely tempted to make a purchase or two. But my wife keeps reminding me that I already have more clothes than I'll ever wear out, especially since most of it is from Beans and thus only very rarely really wears out.

Weary

NashvilleBiscuit
01-22-2010, 11:41
I made the mistake of only taking a downvest with me for my thru attempt last year. I started late march. 3 days into my trip I bought a down jacket and mailed the vest home. It dropped to freezing every night and I was miserable. GO WITH A JACKET!

Yahtzee
01-22-2010, 11:47
Here's what i take:

Two pair of swimming trunks.
One pair of target/walmart bought track pants with lining
Two hiking shirts
One thin cotton long sleeve shirt
One fleece
One Rain Jacket
Winter hat
Gloves
Synthentic socks, mainly Thorlo.

I don't see a need for expensive clothing. Layer up, have some synthetics on top and you should be fine in any weather.

seabrookhiker
01-22-2010, 13:40
A breezy alternative to rain pants or chaps is a rain skirt. I've used mine in all weather, most recently in all day snow. It won't keep your legs safe if you're post holing, but it's good for precipitation coming from above. ULA sells them, and I've seen a couple elsewhere.

sbhikes
01-23-2010, 12:00
I prefer convertible pants. I don't normally walk in shorts. If you normally walk in shorts, you might prefer shorts. Convertibles don't feel the same as real shorts.

In the future, if I can ever find them, I am going to buy just pants. If I want bare legs, I will wear a skirt. I carried a skirt anyway for town and for mosquito protection (they bit through my pants in Oregon). A skirt over pants is really warm, too.

-do I need rainpants?
I think rainpants are worth it. Rain pants can substitute for a baselayer bottom if you wear shorts.

I carried rain chaps. They lack the butt section of pants. I found them to be a little cooler to hike in. I took the legs off my convertible pants to hike in them because they were still a little too hot for hiking. Chaps do not work well as a town pant for doing your laundry and you can't sit down if it's raining.

I always wear long sleeves. I wear a long-sleeved nylon, buttoned shirt all the time when I hike, even when it's 100 degrees. I'm used to it. I like the sun protection. I live in California.

I'll add a t-shirt or or light long-sleeved shirt underneath for extra warmth when it's cooler. I'll roll up the sleeves if it's hot.

I have not hiked the AT where it is very humid and shady. If you don't usually hike with long sleeves, you might not like it. Do what's comfortable.

-do I need sock liners?
Once my feet got tough, I preferred to wear just a single, light pair of wool socks. I also liked the injinji socks.

I did at first, but then one night I fell asleep in my clothes and since I slept just as well, I ditched the sleeping clothes.

I prefer the super light down jackets, such as the Patagonia down sweater. There are similar jackets from other makers. I also like a super light wind jacket, something with no lining that weighs only a few ounces like the Patagonia Houdini (I'm not pushing Patagonia, I just happen to live near their original store). I wear both these jackets around town now. I love them.

I wore only one pair of underwear and did not bring a spare. I went commando when I was washing it.

sbhikes
01-23-2010, 12:08
I'll add my own invention in case anyone is interested. I bought a thin, light fleece sweatshirt from the thrift store and cut off the arms. I put elastic in the upper, wide end of the arms. I used these sleeves as arm warmers, leg warmers, sleeping "socks" and as a pillow. It turned out to be the best/most versatile article of clothing I carried.