PDA

View Full Version : Montrail Torre Gore-Tex Hiking Boot for Men

McPick
01-20-2010, 22:11
Those of you preparing for the AT who may have procrastinated purchasing boots (or if you just need a new pair!) you may be pleased to see this boot for sale at Campmor dot com... At $89.97, they're nearly 50% off. It is available in many sizes, in regular and wide.

I used this boot for the latter 1/3 of my AT hike (NOBO) in '06 and '08, and for my CT hike this past fall ('09)... And I love it.

It is an outstanding, durable boot, built for rugged hiking conditions. (Read the "Features" section at Campmor for a better description.)

When I purchased the boots, I couldn't have cared less about the Gore-tex. And even after all the miles, I can't tell you if it really is a benefit or not... (In my experience, a wet boot is a wet boot!) However, because I have a tender nerve between my toes, (Morton's Neuroma) I needed a wide boot. In truth, though, the Gore-tex never bothered me either.

I use a additional gel insole in the boots (couldn't stand superfeet).

I would suggest this boot for the first 1/3 of the AT and the final 1/3 of the AT. Not that the middle 1/3 of the AT isn't rugged (PA rocks!). However, in between (in the heat of the summer) I wore the Vasque Breeze. Also an outstanding boot.

When I purchased the Breeze, the rep told me it's considered a "lightweight" hiking boot...That I'd be "lucky to get 1000 miles out of the boot on the AT." I got 996 AT miles before I retired them to lawn mowing.

No matter what boots you are going to wear on your hike, break them in now. Try different insoles and wear different socks to see what works for you... Let them get wet, wear them wet a time or two and dry them slowly. If you get blisters, you'll learn to deal with them prior to hitting the trail. (I have never seen blistered feet like I saw on others during my first three days on the AT.)

Good luck!

moytoy
01-20-2010, 22:33
I placed my order. Thanks for the heads up

Feral Bill
01-20-2010, 22:47
I have owned a pair for several yaears, and find them to be excellent for their type. But I rarely rear them anymore, as they share the faults of other all leather Gore Tex boots: they tend to be hot and to stay wet. For cool weather hiking (including southern winters), they may be a good choice. The price is sure right.

shoeguru
01-29-2010, 11:46
about the superfeet-... i fit a lot of folks in boots both in stores and on the trail after they've bought something that is either overkill (not common) or not sufficient enough (extremely common). if you do wear custom footbeds, orthotics, etc, make sure you take them with you when you go to start trying on all the boots. of course the staff is going to want to sell you something new, but if you already use an over-the-counter, or prescribed orthotic, and like it, start the evaluation process using them, not something entirely new just yet. that way, the orthotics you already use become your 'common denominator' and you should find it's easier to tell the minute differences in each boot you try. Then, as you whittle down the choices to just a few, consider getting new orthotics that work for your feet first, and then which fit the boot well. Superfeet seems to be the 'go to' choice in a lot of shops, and they do work for a lot of people who have feet that are in pretty good shape. If you suffer from severe plantar fasciaitis, tender-foot or arch pain, or if you're not in top athletic shape before you begin your hike, it's going to take you longer to adapt to such a supportive footbed as superfeet. An alternative choice that seems to have leveled the playing field by allowing everyone superior support out-of-the-box, but is also highly customizable through oven-molding is SOLE. there is no mystery about the green cap vs the blue cap, vs the orange cap- all SOLE footbeds start with the same shape, but the used can mold them on their own, at home, in their own oven and get a great fitting footbed for about 45 bucks.
although some people swear by them, the worst choice you could make is to buy something flimsy and super-soft... like gel. they might feel good when you're just standing around, but the reality is that your body must work much harder in order to create forward leverage to move yourself, if you're wearing something soft under your feet (think soft sand vs firm sand on the beach- where would you rather take a long walk?).

McPick
02-01-2010, 19:50
Shoeguru, you wrote... "although some people swear by them, the worst choice you could make is to buy something flimsy and super-soft... like gel.

No disrespect to you. You obviously help many hikers with boot/trail runner issues and know what your talking about. However, one of the happiest days of my AT hike was the day I got rid of the Superfeet and replaced them with gel insoles (under the thin insoles that come with the boots). Also used them on the CT this past fall. Never once felt like I was walking on soft sand. Once again, "to each his or her own."

Since opening this post, I have discovered another great sale on the Montrail Torre GTX hiking boots. - 6pm dot com - I just paid $66 plus $6.95 shipping for a brand new pair - Men's 12 wide (not the older style). (Normally $165. to $185.) Women's are on sale there for $49.50.

Check them out!

Simba
03-07-2010, 23:12
Thanks for the heads-up on the Montrail Torre GTX's. Ironically, I already have a pair of these boots and love them, was fitted into them at an outfitters at a price of $179. The price on Campmor is half and I placed an order. I have a simmerlite but also ordered a pocket rocket and 2.4L titanium pot by MSR. My 2L alum. pot is MIA and a 1L won't cut it.

Great prices and good return policy,
SImba

Sassafras Lass
03-17-2010, 16:20
Just bought those 2 days ago for my husband, they're in the mail! His parents also use Montrail and he was excited to find a pair of real boots for such a low price :)

Rick500
03-17-2010, 16:34
$64 here (http://www.moabsports.com/web-pid-T251-Montrail-Mens-Torre-GTX-Classic-Hiking-Boot-item.htm) as well.

moytoy
03-17-2010, 17:33
I ordered my Montrails from Campmor in Jan. I received them about a week later. They were to small. I ordered my normal size 10.5 regular width that all my Merrell boots have been. Campmor was good about exchanging them of course and of course I had to pay shipping which cut down on my savings. I ended up getting size 11 W. I like the boot, however sizing is an issue unless you allready know what size Montrail you wear.