PDA

View Full Version : Stickpic

Roughin' It
01-20-2010, 22:21
anybody used the Stickpic during their thru-hike? I just found out about this little contraption and I would like to get one, except I don't use trekking poles....

Hooch
01-20-2010, 22:32
anybody used the Stickpic during their thru-hike? I just found out about this little contraption and I would like to get one, except I don't use trekking poles....
Then it does you no good. I have a Stick Pic #3 and love it. Haven't had it long, but it a great little piece of gear, fairly cheap and easy to use. Their customer service, like most cottage gear, is awesome and at $11.95 with free shipping, it's hard to beat.

CrumbSnatcher
01-20-2010, 22:36
whats a stick pic?

Big Dawg
01-20-2010, 22:57
whats a stick pic?

http://thestickpic.com/

awesome little contraption. useless if you don't use trekking poles.

CrumbSnatcher
01-20-2010, 23:00
http://thestickpic.com/

awesome little contraption. useless if you don't use trekking poles.
thanks BIG DAWG!

Thrasher
01-20-2010, 23:00
I haven't had mine for too long but I love it. Now my wife and I can both be in the photo and it looks like someone else is holding the camera. It's a lot faster and easier than just using the mini tripod I used to use.

Bearpaw
01-20-2010, 23:04
I got my first stickpic shot this weekend on Wesser Bald Tower. Came out nicely.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/bearpawat99/misc/SoRuck%2010/018.jpg

Jester2000
01-20-2010, 23:15
Loved having my StickPic on the PCT. Such a cool little invention! And it actually works! Although I definitely recommend having a lanyard on your camera and using it as recommended, because sooner or later your camera will fall off the end of your pole.

SMSP
01-20-2010, 23:37
I have a StickPic and love it. One of the best accessories I have spent money on. If they do not have your trekking pole listed, they will send you a sizer for free. Once you find the right size, then all you got to do is email them the size.

Great product, great customer service.

SMSP

Blissful
01-20-2010, 23:39
You're kidding. Neat. Always something new out there.

Blissful
01-20-2010, 23:39
sweet pic, Bearpaw

RollingStone
01-21-2010, 07:20

You should seriously consider using them if you plan on a thru hike. That i sunless your an SUL packer and light on your feet.

We've had our SticPic about a year I guess. It comes in handy. Not only use it on the still camera but on our video camera too.

Colter
01-21-2010, 07:33
I'd be concerned that a person might come out with some blurry photos. Wouldn't it magnify any shake in your hand/arm as you held out the pole with the camera on the end? Otherwise it seems like a good idea!

RollingStone
01-21-2010, 07:57
Surprisingly the pole allows you to get good stability. Never had a blurry picture yet.

Thrasher
01-21-2010, 08:56
I think all of my pictures have come out clear. I like that I can get different perspectives with it easily. One picture I might hold the camera at normal height, another from above looking down on me, and another tilted from near the ground looking up at me. Definitely use a lanyard around your trekking pole because sometimes you don't get it on there tight enough, and it'll fall off. No problem when you have it secured.

kayak karl
01-21-2010, 09:26
I got my first stickpic shot this weekend on Wesser Bald Tower. Came out nicely.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/bearpawat99/misc/SoRuck%2010/018.jpg

you had to get ALL three in. :D

kayak karl
01-21-2010, 09:33
this one was taken with the qizmo,

http://inlinethumb22.webshots.com/3349/2517297870104593866S500x500Q85.jpg

hard to tell im holding the pole:)

GeneralLee10
01-21-2010, 09:54
That is cool and the maker has some very good ideas. But it only serves one purpose. You can not set it up any other way than on your pole. One use is not all that good (to me). I make a very light tripod that will do more than just go on the end of your hiking pole.

Jester2000
01-21-2010, 11:30
That is cool and the maker has some very good ideas. But it only serves one purpose. You can not set it up any other way than on your pole. One use is not all that good (to me). I make a very light tripod that will do more than just go on the end of your hiking pole.

Well, yeah, I suppose. But the average weight is 10.8 grams, so I don't really need it to be dual use and there's nothing to say you couldn't carry both.

And I doubt (but I may be wrong) that any tripod a hiker would carry would be able to extend to, say, nine feet off the ground, so that the photo can capture me and the valley below me.

Rain Man
01-21-2010, 12:39

Ahhhh... but you need to get out of your box! ~wink~ What if you want a 360-degree video? Or, what if you're sitting in a kayak and have no place or way to set up a tripod?! Just for instances?

You saw Bearpaw and his sweet Honey, now see me and mine! Taken with my Stickpic last summer. :)

Seriously though, I'd love to see your home-made tripods that will also go on the end of a hiking pole. Sounds great! Got some photos?

Rain:sunMan

Spokes
01-21-2010, 12:54
Play around making your own homemade stickpic out of a bottle cap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuHnU_-Wvho

Besides you don't need to attach it to trekking poles- almost any stick will do!

Spokes
01-21-2010, 13:00
........or make one out of cutting board material like TrailDude did here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15rl22bZdEM

sbhikes
01-21-2010, 21:19
The stickpic is great. There's no "them". It's just a guy making it himself. It's better than a tripod because it's light, you can keep it in your pocket and you don't have to bend down to the ground to aim the camera like you might with a tiny tri-pod. It seems like a really simple thing, but he put a lot of thought into tilting it just the right angle to make taking your own picture easy. You can also use it to take a picture right in a rattlesnake's face or something like that.

Jester2000
01-21-2010, 21:34
Yeah. I suppose you could make something to put on the end of a stick to take pictures with. You could also hike on the trail carrying some luggage you own instead of buying a pack. It's been done.

But these guys (and really, there is, I suppose, a "them" -- Rod and David) actually designed something that is not just a bottle cap with a screw in it. And then they had hikers test it (I was one of those who got a free one, and have since given that one to another hiker), and solicited comments so they could improve it.

What you end up with (if $12.00 won't break your bank) is a device that actually fits your pole (as opposed to a ragged knife-poked hole) and is angled so the frame clears the basket of the pole and the camera points directly at you when held with arm outstretched.

So I think I'd rather not save the $12.00 and end up with a homemade piece of crap that sort of vaguely resembles a well thought-out, well made product.

RollingStone
01-21-2010, 23:29
So I think I'd rather not save the $12.00 and end up with a homemade piece of crap that sort of vaguely resembles a well thought-out, well made product.

Amen and all that jazz.. :D

Mountain Wildman
01-21-2010, 23:47
Gonna order one for my thru.
Thanks Whatnowmitch!!

srestrepo
01-22-2010, 01:06
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/0/8/2/6/bulls_bridge_026_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=39044&c=721)

its pretty intuitive, this is my first picture with it...

and of course as others have mentioned,
~the weight is neglible
~this is in support of our cottage gear manufacturers
~even if you're not a thru hiker (like me) it still takes nice pictures

good way to spend 12 bucks i think.

Spokes
01-22-2010, 10:18
Yeah. I suppose you could make something to put on the end of a stick to take pictures with. You could also hike on the trail carrying some luggage you own instead of buying a pack. It's been done.

But these guys (and really, there is, I suppose, a "them" -- Rod and David) actually designed something that is not just a bottle cap with a screw in it. And then they had hikers test it (I was one of those who got a free one, and have since given that one to another hiker), and solicited comments so they could improve it.

What you end up with (if $12.00 won't break your bank) is a device that actually fits your pole (as opposed to a ragged knife-poked hole) and is angled so the frame clears the basket of the pole and the camera points directly at you when held with arm outstretched.

Sorta like why some people would rather buy a Trangia Stove instead of making their own pepsi can stove?

They'd rather not spend the money and end up with a homemade piece of crap that sort of resembles a well thought-out, well made product.

Yep, you could look at it that way.

BTW, the Stickpic is a great little product. Support the entrepreneurs!

sbhikes
01-22-2010, 11:26
I didn't know it was two guys. I only met the SierraShade guy. I really wanted one of his shades. Tried to make my own with a poor outcome. Tried to make my own stickpick, too, and it worked for a few times and then the camera would just fall off.

Check out the SierraShade. You wouldn't need this on the AT, but on the PCT I think it would be awesome.
http://www.trailjournals.com/about.cfm?trailname=4702

Jester2000
01-22-2010, 11:50
Yeah, that's Rod! And that Sierra Shade thing is pretty frickin' cool, although if I came across a bunch of people wearing them I'd think there had been a HazMat accident on the trail. The problem you mentioned is the problem I see with the homemade versions -- they won't stay on your pole properly, or at least not for long.

Sorta like why some people would rather buy a Trangia Stove instead of making their own pepsi can stove?

They'd rather not spend the money and end up with a homemade piece of crap that sort of resembles a well thought-out, well made product.

Yep, you could look at it that way.

BTW, the Stickpic is a great little product. Support the entrepreneurs!

Well, the weird thing is, I can kind of see making your own stove. I wouldn't bother, but I understand. Trangia stoves, for example, come with pots. A lot of people aleady have pots. And the cost is, what? $35.00 or so? Vargos are in the $30.00 range as well.

So unless the stove does something different -- like Etowah's simmer cup thing -- making your own makes sense to me, because you CAN pretty much replicate what those stoves do, particularly if you're as into testing and refining as the wingnuts over in the homemade gear forum are.

But unless you've got access to a plastic injection molder, I just don't see being able to effectively duplicate what the stickpic actually does, and I don't see why anyone would bother trying to save just $12.00 (and shipping's free right now, so it actually is $12.00).

GeneralLee10
01-24-2010, 11:27
And I doubt (but I may be wrong) that any tripod a hiker would carry would be able to extend to, say, nine feet off the ground, so that the photo can capture me and the valley below me.[/QUOTE]

Yes it would, lol! Think a little bit more.:D

gravy4601
01-24-2010, 12:15
is there any problem with the camera falling off the end of the pole or getting lose while holding it

Jester2000
01-24-2010, 13:55
Yes it would, lol! Think a little bit more.:D

Why should I think a little more if you've already done it? If you've got a lightweight tripod where I can stand on top of Mt. Whitney, with nothing to attach it to, and take a photo of the valley below me, I want to see it. Heck, I'll probably buy one from you.

is there any problem with the camera falling off the end of the pole or getting lose while holding it

This is a possibility, which is why you use a lanyard with the camera, and put it over the basket so that if it does fall it doesn't fall far. I hear this is less of a problem now that they have additional models that fit the tips of different poles better.

Beir
01-24-2010, 15:42
I can do the same thing with my Gorillapod and it has a lot more uses. Weighs about the same, too:

http://joby.com/gorillapod/original/

Miner
01-24-2010, 17:00
I can do the same thing with my Gorillapod and it has a lot more uses. Weighs about the same, too:
You aren't saying it weighs about the same as a stickpic? The stickpic I carried on the PCT weighs about 10.5grams which is less then 0.4oz. Even the lightest mini-tripod I own weighs almost 2oz.

Jester2000
01-24-2010, 18:47

http://joby.com/gorillapod/original/

The lightest gorillapod weighs 45.3 grams. So it doesn't really weigh "about the same." Light enough that I wouldn't care, though. Why not carry both?

sbhikes
01-24-2010, 18:49
That gorilla pod thing can't possibly weigh anything close to the stickpick. The stickpick is just the screw that goes into the camera and a small piece of plastic. The gorilla pod looks like the screw and a hundred small pieces of plastic.

Jester2000
01-24-2010, 19:27
Why should I think a little more if you've already done it? If you've got a lightweight tripod where I can stand on top of Mt. Whitney, with nothing to attach it to, and take a photo of the valley below me, I want to see it. Heck, I'll probably buy one from you.

Sorefoot decided to respond to this in the form of a PM. So I would direct anyone interested in seeing his design to the thread entitled "Cam Tripod." Look at the photos he posted in post #14 rather than #1; you'll get a better idea of how it works. It's like a lighter version of a gorillapod. I like the design.

I'm not sure why Sorefoot didn't want to publicly post what he wrote to me; perhaps he didn't want this thread to devolve into a debate over whether my two responses to his two posts constituted "badgering" him. Or perhaps he was embarrassed about a 70 year old using the language he used.

Nonetheless, he brought up a few points that I feel should be addressed here, should others reading this thread have the same questions/accusations.

First, as to his question "is it your [sic] getting a kick back [sic] from the maker," I have no financial relationship whatsoever with the makers of the Stick Pic. They are not even friends of mine -- the extent of our relationship (so far) is that I have met them. Anyone who wishes to confirm this can send a message to Rod, who is here on whiteblaze under the name rodjava. I imagine this is true for everyone else who has praised the Stick Pic on this thread.

Second, as to his question "so how in the hell do you get a stickpic 9 feet in the air": you extend the hiking pole to its maximum length, and raise your arm. I'm assuming this will work just as well with his device, if you get the downward angle properly set. You end up with something that looks like the attached photo (although in that case we zoomed the camera and did it just to see what it would look like -- there was nothing interesting behind and below us). I did a test today and the actual distance from the ground is 10 feet, which will change depending on your height/pole model and how high you raise your arm.

Finally, as to his statement "if you can stop being an ******* [I think that's the correct obscenity; it was replaced with asterisks] and get the stikpik [sic] out of your ass you just mite [sic] learn a little bit," I'd like to note that I do not now, nor have I in the past (to my knowledge) had a Stick Pic in my ass.

Although I'll keep that in mind as a future storage space should my pack become too full.

Beir
01-24-2010, 20:01
The lightest gorillapod weighs 45.3 grams. So it doesn't really weigh "about the same." Light enough that I wouldn't care, though. Why not carry both?

Why carry both when the gorillapod does exactly what this one trick pony device does? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Considering how much more useful the gorillapod is, I think it's a no-brainer. I can wrap it around tree limbs, use it to prop my camera up on a rock, hell I've even used it to steady my camera on my shoulder to shoot video while I'm walking down the trail.

GeneralLee10
01-24-2010, 20:05
Sorefoot decided to respond to this in the form of a PM. So I would direct anyone interested in seeing his design to the thread entitled "Cam Tripod." Look at the photos he posted in post #14 rather than #1; you'll get a better idea of how it works. It's like a lighter version of a gorillapod. I like the design.

I'm not sure why Sorefoot didn't want to publicly post what he wrote to me; perhaps he didn't want this thread to devolve into a debate over whether my two responses to his two posts constituted "badgering" him. Or perhaps he was embarrassed about a 70 year old using the language he used.

Nonetheless, he brought up a few points that I feel should be addressed here, should others reading this thread have the same questions/accusations.

First, as to his question "is it your [sic] getting a kick back [sic] from the maker," I have no financial relationship whatsoever with the makers of the Stick Pic. They are not even friends of mine -- the extent of our relationship (so far) is that I have met them. Anyone who wishes to confirm this can send a message to Rod, who is here on whiteblaze under the name rodjava. I imagine this is true for everyone else who has praised the Stick Pic on this thread.

Second, as to his question "so how in the hell do you get a stickpic 9 feet in the air": you extend the hiking pole to its maximum length, and raise your arm. I'm assuming this will work just as well with his device, if you get the downward angle properly set. You end up with something that looks like the attached photo (although in that case we zoomed the camera and did it just to see what it would look like -- there was nothing interesting behind and below us). I did a test today and the actual distance from the ground is 10 feet, which will change depending on your height/pole model and how high you raise your arm.

Finally, as to his statement "if you can stop being an ******* [I think that's the correct obscenity; it was replaced with asterisks] and get the stikpik [sic] out of your ass you just mite [sic] learn a little bit," I'd like to note that I do not now, nor have I in the past (to my knowledge) had a Stick Pic in my ass.

Although I'll keep that in mind as a future storage space should my pack become too full.

It was sent in a PM for PRIVATE Message something you apparently don't understand ether. But thanks for sharing that with all here. Another thing it is a good thing you don't know me JESTER2000. My age is of no importance to you or this site. As none of you have made me who I am nor will any of your thoughts change the way I am. And for the FINE Folks in the FREE TENT program I am a decent person probably more decent than you have ever been to any stranger. And yes I do and have given to poor people right next to my YOUNG and beautiful wife. So if you ever have any and I mean any thing you would like to say to me I will be in your town this year. Then we shall see how big your mouth is in person! or should I say *******.

Jester2000
01-25-2010, 00:56
Why carry both when the gorillapod does exactly what this one trick pony device does? Doesn't make any sense to me.

Considering how much more useful the gorillapod is, I think it's a no-brainer. I can wrap it around tree limbs, use it to prop my camera up on a rock, hell I've even used it to steady my camera on my shoulder to shoot video while I'm walking down the trail.

Hmmm. Well, I could do all of the things the gorillapod can do with duct tape, which I already carry. But duct tape wouldn't do those things exactly the same way, and I don't think wrapping a gorilla pod around a hiking pole and having to futz with it to get the right angle is exactly what a Stick Pic does. Why not carry both if one of them weighs 10g?

As an aside, why is everyone so down on one-trick ponies? Most ponies don't do any tricks at all. For your enjoyment (the one-trick pony makes its appearance around 1:08):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E6ljDp0dh4

Jester2000
01-25-2010, 01:24
It was sent in a PM for PRIVATE Message something you apparently don't understand ether. But thanks for sharing that with all here. Another thing it is a good thing you don't know me JESTER2000. My age is of no importance to you or this site. As none of you have made me who I am nor will any of your thoughts change the way I am. And for the FINE Folks in the FREE TENT program I am a decent person probably more decent than you have ever been to any stranger. And yes I do and have given to poor people right next to my YOUNG and beautiful wife. So if you ever have any and I mean any thing you would like to say to me I will be in your town this year. Then we shall see how big your mouth is in person! or should I say *******.

For anyone who would like to read about the "private" nature of PMs, I refer you to the thread "PM’s are not private!" I keep the confidence of my friends. There are, of course, many things I don't understand. Physics, for example. But one thing I do understand is that I am under no obligation -- moral, legal, or user agreement-related -- to keep the confidence of a complete stranger who decides to verbally abuse me "in private." I find it strange that anyone would think I had any such obligation.

Fortunately for me, I don't write anything online I wouldn't want others to read, and I never write anything I wouldn't say to a person's face. It would be wise for other whiteblaze members to act in a similar manner.

Also, whiteblaze members should be careful about writing things like this:

"So if you ever have any and I mean any thing you would like to say to me I will be in your town this year. Then we shall see how big your mouth is in person! or should I say *******."

It's definitely a violation of User Agreement Rule #2, and could potentially be considered a violation of User Agreement Rule #17.

Chicken Feathers
01-25-2010, 11:35
Gonna order one for my thru.
Thanks Whatnowmitch!! Why buy when you can make one real easy. Check on you tube for video on making one good luck

Rain Man
01-25-2010, 11:58
But one thing I do understand is that I am under no obligation -- moral, legal, or user agreement-related -- to keep the confidence of a complete stranger who decides to verbally abuse me "in private." I find it strange that anyone would think I had any such obligation.

No obligation if you don't mind sinking to their level and being a cheap shot artist.

My opinion is that what BOTH of you did was EQUALLY inappropriate. Take it up with the moderators and stop airing your dirty laundry and inflicting your pissing contest on everybody.

Rain Man

SGT Rock
01-25-2010, 12:10
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/0/8/2/6/bulls_bridge_026_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=39044&c=721)

its pretty intuitive, this is my first picture with it...

and of course as others have mentioned,
~the weight is neglible
~this is in support of our cottage gear manufacturers
~even if you're not a thru hiker (like me) it still takes nice pictures

good way to spend 12 bucks i think.
How much does it weigh?

Hobbot
01-25-2010, 12:40
I recently got a stickpic. I like the simplicity and the fact that it is so light and doesn't take up any pack room.

I also have a GorillaPod, although it is the heavier one for my dSLR. For backpacking, I prefer the stickpic. For traveling, I prefer the GorillaPod.

Jester2000
01-25-2010, 12:41
How much does it weigh?

There are different models depending on the pole. The average is 10.8 grams. They used to be lighter -- around 8 grams, but some of the recent improvements have added to the weight (I'm thinking specifically abou th larger, easier to spin nut).

SGT Rock
01-25-2010, 13:26
There are different models depending on the pole. The average is 10.8 grams. They used to be lighter -- around 8 grams, but some of the recent improvements have added to the weight (I'm thinking specifically abou th larger, easier to spin nut).

Thanks Jester. that ain't a bad weight. I made something similar but it is about 18 grams and the angle seems to always end up showing the stick.

Hikes in Rain
01-25-2010, 13:33
This thing looks like the neatest thing since sliced bread; I'm ordering one. The website shows it being used sort of as a monopod, which is one of the things that interested me. Has anyone used it that way, and did it work out OK?

Jester2000
01-25-2010, 13:53
This thing looks like the neatest thing since sliced bread; I'm ordering one. The website shows it being used sort of as a monopod, which is one of the things that interested me. Has anyone used it that way, and did it work out OK?

I tried it that way once or twice, but because of the way it's angled, you can't really hold the pole straight up and down, and figuring out the right angle to hold the pole is a bit tricky.

Because my camera corrected for shakiness, it wasn't really necessary for me to use it that way.

Jester2000
01-25-2010, 13:56

I tried it that way once or twice, but because of the way it's angled, you can't really hold the pole straight up and down, and figuring out the right angle to hold the pole is a bit tricky.

Because my camera corrected for shakiness, it wasn't really necessary for me to use it that way.

As an aside, the tripod Sorefoot designed might be better for use as a monopod, because

1)the angle problem is irrelevant
2)it attaches to the handle rather than the tip so the tip can be jammed into the ground for steadiness and hands-free use.

Hikes in Rain
01-25-2010, 14:15
That's good to know, Jester, thanks! I like to make panoramas of scenes, and the pictures I take to stitch together tend to run downhill; I was thinking a brace like a monopod would help me keep things "level".

I'm still going to order one, since it's all but weightless and would help get me into the picture more often, when I hike alone. I'll think of something else for the monopod idea; maybe just prop the camera up on the end of a pole while I rotate the camera.