PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow People in the Ocala Forest

BumpJumper
01-20-2010, 22:32
Has anyone else run into the "'Rainbow People" in the Ocala forest within the last week or so?

moytoy
01-20-2010, 22:40
I wasn't hiking but I saw what was probably some of them in Lynne buying some supplies. Lynne is on 40 just west of ONC.

BumpJumper
01-21-2010, 13:04
Mo, I know just where you are talking about. Here is the problem. Like any walk of life, we have the good ones and the bad ones.
I have been in a bunch of stores in the forest that have signs on the front doors that say, "only two Rainbow People in at one time" Then a sign on the bathroom that says..."out of order"
I have inquired as to the reason for this...
"Because they come in and rob me blind and take "showers" in the bathroom sinks.
Now..to me, this is a sign that those folks are not welcomed in the forest community.
Furthermore, I am an ex-LEO..I know for a fact that the crime rates go up when their so called "gathering" is in the forest.. just like when the carnival comes to town.
The state is trying to get them out of the Ocala forest. Here is just one article about them.
http://www.ocala.com/article/20080212/NEWS/802120331?Title=Rainbow-Family-warned-to-leave-Forest-campsite

Several years ago, my daughter and her friend were forced from a local swimming hole in the forest because these folks were carrying large knives and making threatening, suggestive actions with the knives.
Heck, just the other day, I gave directions to some of these folks while I was at the trail head when the guy turned and pissed right on the pavement of the parking lot with God and everyone looking...Including me. Yes, I walked away and didnt stare...

JimSproul
01-21-2010, 13:58
.....There is a regional RG held every year in Feb in the National Forest of Ocala, FL. The busiest time tends to be right around V-day.. http://welcomehere.org/forum.php

Tipi Walter
01-21-2010, 14:24
I spent 10 days at the 1987 Nat Rainbow Gathering near Robbinsville NC and the State was trying to shut it down then, too. The Head Honchos hate the idea of large groups of people gathering freely in the woods. Some grocery stores in R'ville had problems with theft and such, and the locals were offended but didn't quite know why. State Troopers set up road blocks and were in rigid form spouting off their usual warnings: "BE WELL ADVISED . . . ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK . . etc.

I went in with THREE backpacks on, my normal external North Face pack, a filled Sundog pack on top of it and a full ALICE pack strapped atop that. I figured to be at the gathering for weeks and needed all the stuff, plus I was supporting a whole contingent of people coming in from Boone, NC. We set up our Boone Camp and it was past the California Camp and Kiddie Village with the tipis and near CALM/MASH where people got free condoms and first aid. One guy came in with numerous black ant bites on his testicles.

Everyone should attend a rainbow gathering at least once, either a regional or a national. The regionals are much more easier to deal with as the nationals are huge and can assault tender egos. It's always good to go with a group of friends, otherwise you'll be stuck in a sea of Rants and Listen-To-Me Ego Freaks and get worn out quick with a fried nervous system. But it's the original Human Be-In and no gestapo types should try and shut it down. Remember the old time Mountain Man rondevous? Keep 'em going with the hippies and the Hare Krishnas(they showed up at the gathering with a baby elephant who played the harmonic, and they made the best meals--vegetarian of course).

DrRichardCranium
01-21-2010, 14:35
I went to that one too! I remember how it rained nearly every day, and then the sun would come out and steam would rise from the ground. And at night you could see foxfire (luminescent fungus) growing on the rotten logs.

Gray Blazer
01-21-2010, 15:14
Unfortunately, a lot of older criminal types have attached themselves to the Rainbow movement. In all due respect to Tipi, as always there's a lot of good people with enough bad elements to give the whole group a bad name.

Spokes
01-21-2010, 18:42
Deadhead wannabe's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsLP9syh0EU

max patch
01-21-2010, 18:55
Everyone should attend a rainbow gathering at least once, either a regional or a national.

Yikes! No thanks.

txag
01-21-2010, 19:27
They met 90 miles west of ABQ this summer. This article pretty well sums up the issues with their visit.

http://bulletin.aarp.org/states/nm/2009/27/articles/rainbows_end.html

GMcClain20
01-21-2010, 19:44
I drove through the ONF down 314 to the Cross Florida Greenway and did 32 miles last weekend. I didn't see any rainbow people coming from that direction.

I remember as a teenager working at Publix in Palatka. I was gathering carts in the parking lot and the rainbow people had been in and out all day. As I was getting some carts I noticed two guys and a girl sitting under a tree on one of the islands in the parking lot. They had a dog which they were feeding alpo or some similar brand of dog food. No big deal right? Well, it seems they had a taste for Alpo themselves as they were passing the can around and eating spoonfulls themselves. I dunno, maybe this was an isolated case, but that experience has colored my opinion of the rainbow people. A good friend of mine was hassled by them down around Alexander Springs on the FT a few years ago. Apparently they had taken possession of the trail and were charging a toll to pass their camp. Madness.

DrRichardCranium
01-21-2010, 20:55
GMcClain, that sort of behavior doesn't sound like Rainbow People at all. They don't even use money at the Gatherings. That sounds like some scum that were lingering around the Rainbow People for the free food & then hanging around the area to bum/steal money.

Tipi Walter
01-21-2010, 21:05
GMcClain, that sort of behavior doesn't sound like Rainbow People at all. They don't even use money at the Gatherings. That sounds like some scum that were lingering around the Rainbow People for the free food & then hanging around the area to bum/steal money.

Yeah, I agree. A lot of people have a knee-jerk reaction against the Rainbows, and the article Txag highlighted is a case in point. There was nothing in it about the actual gathering or what people did other than these negatories:
** Forest Service said 3% of the group of 10,500 received violation notices and 19 were placed under arrest.

** There were 20 medical transports for burns, overdoses, stab wounds, back pain, etc.

** Forest Service also reported several confirmed cases of Canine Parvovirus.

** 76 attendees ordered to appear in US Magistrate Court on tickets issued by FS.

** Harrassment seen as having a "chilling effect on First and Fourth Amendment rights" of those gathered.

** Authorities exhibiting hostile behavior toward attendees(examples listed in article).

Slosteppin
01-21-2010, 21:13
Last year I hiked from Clearwater Lake to Rodman campground the first week of February. I don't remember the area but I saw a lot of Rainbow people in about a 5 mile area. Most were at a distance and waved.
One guy I met, dressed in camo fatigues, was walking along the FT swinging a machette. I said hi, how ya doin? He said hi and we both kept walking. I assumed he was after firewood. I was glad I wasn't planning to camp in that area.

I saw the warning signs suggesting hikers might want to take a different trail. My car was at Rodman. I'm just a little grey beard hiker. Probably by the time I was in their area I smalled nearly as much as they did.

I will be doing the same hike this year at about the same time.

Slosteppin.

Jester2000
01-21-2010, 21:57
** Harrassment seen as having a "chilling effect on First and Fourth Amendment rights" of those gathered.

** Authorities exhibiting hostile behavior toward attendees(examples listed in article).

Um, those parts of the article are quoting a "Rainbow Press Crew" press release.

Remember the old time Mountain Man rondevous?

Well, I seriously doubt anyone here remembers a Rendezvous. But if they did, they'd probably remember that the Rendezvous were set up, organized, and run by businesses -- specifically fur trading companies -- and trappers had a practical reason for going to Rendezvous.

I'm thinking neither is true of the Rainbow Gatherings.

GMcClain20
01-21-2010, 22:00

You are probably right. That's what, as others have said, gives the rainbow ppl a bad image. They already live on what most would call the fringe of society and to throw in less than respectful behavior on the part of some who simply mix into the larger element doesn't help their plight. They may be good ppl but I can't help but feel uneasy to cross their path in the forest and would rather not. I would feel the same about anyone who looked less than friendly; hippies, hunters, and hooligans alike. Their might be an overwhelming positive element in all categories but there is always a group that gives them a bad name. I bet there are even scummy hikers! ya think? :P

Lone Wolf
01-21-2010, 22:01
them nutjobs have been in the forest since christ was a cpl

jrwiesz
01-21-2010, 22:38
Do they believe in an almighty creator and savior?

Those people are the nutjobs I fear most, plenty of them everywhere.

JJJ
01-22-2010, 00:10
Family and I were at the '87 RG. We got a bad water born illness, but survived.
They are interesting folks, not law abiding in every regard.
It's difficult to paint them with single stroke, as the group is defined fairly loosely.

take-a-knee
01-22-2010, 00:58

They must have been thru hikers then.

Frosty
01-22-2010, 01:15
GMcClain, that sort of behavior doesn't sound like Rainbow People at all. They don't even use money at the Gatherings. So how do they get food and gas if they don't use money?

moytoy
01-22-2010, 07:02
They do use money but I guess not at their "gatherings".
I gave a girl a ride out of the ONF a few years back. She had two large garbage bags full of dirty cloths. I dropped her at the first self laundry we came to. When she got out of my truck she ask me for some money. I declined (probably because I didn't have any cash) and she went off on me. I had a can of coke sitting in the console and she accused me of drinking and driving. I have mostly avoided the rainbow people since then.

Toolshed
01-22-2010, 08:29
.... I have mostly avoided the rainbow people since then.
After reading up on these Yayos, it seems like the best course of action...:sun

fiddlehead
01-22-2010, 08:39
I've been to Rainbow gatherings in Alabama and one in California.
There was a world of difference between the two.

I wouldn't hesitate to go to another one out west.
It was on my first PCT hike and one of the highlights of that trip.

Old Hiker
01-22-2010, 08:48
http://welcomehere.org/media.php

"The Rainbow Family of Living Light, sometimes known as the "Rainbow Tribe", is an international loose affiliation of individuals who have a common goal of trying to achieve peace and love on Earth. "

Yep - lookin' at the videos, I can tell that they are ALL about "peace and love", esp. for the LEOs. Yep, peace and love. I can hear one guy trying to calm the peaceful and loving crowd down, though. Kudos to him (or the granola bar of his choice).

"The use of the phrase: Living Light in the longer title is a reference to "living lightly", or living with little mass or impact on the environment. "

I'm wondering how little an impact that crowd of people and any others like them have on where ever they decide to squat.

fiddlehead
01-22-2010, 09:04
Was just down at the sea gypsy village nearby my house with my son. (I live in Phuket, Thailand)
We bought some food and went down there to watch the boats come in.
These people remind me of Rainbow people.
They live off the sea.
Although they have no land they can legally call their own, they have been using some of the nearby beaches for generations and generations (long before this was a touristy island)
They are friendly and I think have a hard time understanding some of the laws. Like putting their children in schools. They teach their children different ways to fish, make nets, make and set traps, steer through the waves, build or repair a boat, eat fish, dive for lobsters, etc. every day.
Then the government comes around telling them their kids have to be in school, or they have to move off the land.

They don't comply.

are discriminated against terribly.
They believe that the way they live is the correct way. Nature's way so to say.

Call it slightly off-topic but there are similarities and these people do have a right to be on public land.

BumpJumper
01-22-2010, 11:48
My take on this is such..
I dont mind sharing the woods, trails and campsites with anyone....but the only problems I have with these folks is that they destroy the land, leave trash behind, crap and pee right on the trail or right next to it without burying it, let their dogs run loose, whom I have had charge me, and most of them are mangie...the dogs I mean...and most peoples...:p
But the biggest problem I have, is the fear they instill in visitors and hikers alike.

DrRichardCranium
01-22-2010, 12:07
Hmm, well, everyone who attends a Rainbow Gathering is one of those scary scary people. I attended in '87. At that time I was soon to start work as a lab technician at the Dana Farber Cancer Institute. Since that time I've worked, gone to grad school, and generally been a productive member of society. I don't think I'm a particularly scary person.

My point is that most of the Rainbow people lead normal lives, and then just show up at these Gatherings for a week during the summer. Then they go back to their lives.

They're not some bizarre nomadic tribe living permanently apart from society.

ShelterLeopard
01-22-2010, 12:13
I see what you mean, Cranium. It's kinda like judging Americans after seeing them only at the mardi gras parade in New Orleans. (kind of, but not the best analogy)

sherrill
01-22-2010, 12:15
Isn't this just a Phish concert without the band?

(I keeeed, I keeeed!)

Jester2000
01-22-2010, 12:35
....but the only problems I have with these folks is that they destroy the land, leave trash behind, crap and pee right on the trail or right next to it without burying it . . .

Well, I can't say, because I've never been to one of these, and I definitely haven't been around to see the aftermath, but if this is true:

"Approximately 40 to 50 Rainbow volunteers were expected to stay behind and work with Forest Service personnel to rehabilitate the area -- a job that probably won't be completed until August, according to the release."

. . . then there isn't as much of a problem as it might appear. It's kind of like going to the campground at Traildays on Sunday morning. Yeah, it looks trashed. But by Monday morning it's as clean as it was before. Because hikers clean it up.

But whatever else may or may not be true, I think we should all agree that this is one of the funniest sentences ever written:

"Last year, a man was badly beaten at a campsite by a man known only as 'Buddha.'"

DrRichardCranium
01-22-2010, 12:55
But whatever else may or may not be true, I think we should all agree that this is one of the funniest sentences ever written:

"Last year, a man was badly beaten at a campsite by a man known only as 'Buddha.'"

"Boot to the head!":banana

sasquatch2014
01-22-2010, 13:22
I don't know but one of these days I hope that the Freeman of Montana and the Rainbow people share a campground for a gathering. That is one I will drive out for.:D

sherrill
01-22-2010, 13:23
I'm having fun with the images of a "dirty license plate".....

GMcClain20
01-22-2010, 16:20
As someone said, it's public land, they have a right to be there. They are just as entitled as I am. But that doesn't make me feel any more comfortable around some of them or several other types of people I find in the forest. The opinion of everyone here seems to be fairly mixed it seems. I have not personally had a bad encounter with them that would set them apart from any other people group I may encounter. But if they look unsavory then I'll probably avoid them. If I look unsavory then I can't expect others to warmly welcome me. I've felt that way after being on the trail for days in need of a serious shower. I don't think I would have been offended if I was booted out of a gas station or something. From what everyone has said I think the best way to look at it is this. Try not to judge them as a group. Take each individual for who they are. This is a lesson I will try to learn.

BumpJumper
01-22-2010, 16:32
I never said "all" and I must point out I have referred to them as "folks"...
I have personal experiences with the "group" and that is what, and only what I base what I say about them on....
Just last week, I was at Farles Prarie with Bluegill and her grand kids...a thru hiker was at the lake waiting his pick up ride.
We hung out with him all day and then the rainbow people came up and started filling their water jugs with water at the pump. The next thing I know, the grand kids, the hiker and the rainbow people were playing football next to our campfire...so..
I have experienced good and bad with the "folks".
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/1/2/9/4/027_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=39048&c=536)

Pedaling Fool
01-22-2010, 16:56
...Try not to judge them as a group. Take each individual for who they are. This is a lesson I will try to learn.
I agree with that; I'm sure there's all types that are attracted to these gatherings and probably most are good people.

However, I just don't get the whole point of the movement. It's one thing to be part of an unofficial mass of people that want to have get-togethers, but when they, in addition to that, try and make statements about how we should live our lives then they open a can of worms.

There are so many stupid things on their website; what's the deal with touting non-consumerism as some kind of sin against the earth:rolleyes: Yet they fully participate in consumerism so they can spend time with mother earth.:datz

One Word: Naivete

:-?

GMcClain20
01-22-2010, 17:02
I agree with that; I'm sure there's all types that are attracted to these gatherings and probably most are good people.

However, I just don't get the whole point of the movement. It's one thing to be part of an unofficial mass of people that want to have get-togethers, but when they, in addition to that, try and make statements about how we should live our lives then they open a can of worms.

There are so many stupid things on their website; what's the deal with touting non-consumerism as some kind of sin against the earth:rolleyes: Yet they fully participate in consumerism so they can spend time with mother earth.

One Word: Naivete

:datz:-?

Not that I don't agree with your sentiments but the same could be said about so many other social movements. Hypocrisy is an all to common sin.

Jack Tarlin
01-22-2010, 17:17
Two minutes of Internet research just revealed that while it hasn't been selected yet, 6 out of 7 (Kentucky is the exception) out of the possible locations for the 2010 Rainbow Gathering are Trail states. (TN, NC, WV, PA, VT, NH)

Wherever they decide to have this thing, I sure look forward to being hundreds of miles away at the time, tho if it's in PA, it could get interesting, as the annual Gathering is usually the first week in July.

Gee, maybe they could have it in Gettsyburg! Imagine 30,000 smelly dreadlocked hippies and 200,000 large people in Winnebagos all together for the same week.

Pretty funny to think about as long as you're not in attendance. :D

guitboxdude25
01-22-2010, 18:05
One guy I met, dressed in camo fatigues, was walking along the FT swinging a machette. I said hi, how ya doin? He said hi and we both kept walking. I assumed he was after firewood. I was glad I wasn't planning to camp in that area.

I've met a guy that matches that description on the FT towards the sanford area I had a nice talk with him, hes a volunteer. could be the same guy.

guitboxdude25
01-22-2010, 18:06
Anyone have any idea when/where this hippie gathering takes place in ocala? I wouldn't mind going.

sasquatch2014
01-22-2010, 18:09
I've met a guy that matches that description on the FT towards the sanford area I had a nice talk with him, hes a volunteer. could be the same guy.

I often walk with my Machete in the summer along my section of the trail and i am often in green army pants. It is an easy way to clear the reeds that grow in the swamp and other small brush. I have had a few strange looks from hikers but for the most part they understand.

I think this summer I am going to get a light colored shirt and stain it with "blood" and see what type of reaction I get then. Do a study people who talk to me vs run.:D

middle to middle
01-22-2010, 18:21
On a rainy cold day I had a guy pick me up in a general store and offer me the floor in his house in front of a fire. Nice. He was
Rainbow and told me about them. Invited me to the annual gathering. Interesting. I never connected. Appreciated the kindness.

Mags
01-22-2010, 18:29
On my San Juans trip, I gave a guy a 100 mile hitch (yes) while on my way to Durango this past summer. He was Rainbow. Clean cut looking and on his way to Crestone, CO to do some construction work.

Nice enough guy. Didn't get any bad vibes. Heck, he was looking for a hitch to get to a paid job. When I hitch, I'm being a bum and not working. :banana

JERMM
01-22-2010, 18:50
so how do you know if someone is rainbow people

DrRichardCranium
01-22-2010, 18:53
Attending a rainbow gathering means you're part of the family. It's hard to miss a group that large.

Mags
01-22-2010, 19:16
so how do you know if someone is rainbow people

Don't know about others...but this dude mentioned he was a Rainbow person... (Mentioned hitchhiking..which lead to long trails..which lead to trail names which lead to him mentioning how Rainbow Gathering people have well, Rainbow Names...)

JERMM
01-22-2010, 19:40
Don't know about others...but this dude mentioned he was a Rainbow person... (Mentioned hitchhiking..which lead to long trails..which lead to trail names which lead to him mentioning how Rainbow Gathering people have well, Rainbow Names...)

sounds...um colorful...;)

BumpJumper
01-22-2010, 21:42
Linda...... it just wasnt meant to be....hahahahhaahhaahha
Oh Lord...

Colter
01-23-2010, 09:58
I'm sure that there's some basis to many negative stories about the Rainbow People. And about AT Hikers. I don't know about you but I've gotten some barbed looks from "normal people" when walking into a store or post office with some equally stinky/scruffy fellow hikers.

One year I was traveling in Central America and one of the people I was hanging out with told me he often organized some of the big Gatherings. He was a carpenter, and told me he worked his butt off to make enough money to do things like travel the world and attend Gatherings. I have a feeling that there are many parallels between Trail Days and the Gatherings. Both have individuals that can out of hand. Both have many free spirits.

Colter
01-23-2010, 10:09
After reading that article, that group appeared to be making some unnecessary trouble. There are good reasons for regulations for large groups on public land. They could follow them and still have their Gathering.

barry208
01-26-2010, 09:30
Rumors aside, here is where to find the real information:

http://flrainbow.org

nitewalker
01-26-2010, 10:24
Anyone have any idea when/where this hippie gathering takes place in ocala? I wouldn't mind going.

i hiked the ocala forest back in 08 during the last few days of feburary and on the way home after the hike i picked up two hitchhikers who were at the rainbow gathering the week before. the two guys were really dirty looking due to rolling around in the dirt for a week or so. they were on their way to try and find a job in miami. they were both very gracious for the ride and were no problem at all...there are two types of rainbow people. the ones who are for peace and tranquility and the other group is of the gay side. the gathering you are talking about is the peace faction. thats my 2 cents worth of info.......:D

ShelterLeopard
01-26-2010, 12:29
Who mentioned gay groups? This is a religious group. What are you talking about crawler???

DrRichardCranium
01-26-2010, 12:45
I was wondering the same thing. What gay group?

Oh, but by the way, the Rainbow people aren't really a religious group either.

DrRichardCranium
01-26-2010, 12:49
OH wait, I think nitewalker was talking about the tendency of gay advocacy groups to use the rainbow as their symbol.

That has nothing to do with the "Rainbow Gatherings" though.

ShelterLeopard
01-26-2010, 12:50
Yep- don't get confused y'all.

They have a religious slant though... (I guess more of a God loves everyone be happy slant.)

off-pher
01-29-2010, 18:31
I like rainbow people! They taste like chicken!

BumpJumper
01-30-2010, 08:51
hahahahahahaah
George, you aint right man..:eek:

Erin
01-30-2010, 21:13
We have had them here in southwest Missouri a few times, maybe passing thru to somewhere else. As with any huge group, there is the good and the bad. The biggest issue seemed to be way too many people in a camping area and overuse. And the ones that overused substances attracted attention in rural Shannon county, Mo. When they showed up in downwtown Springfield for a day, in the public square, they were entertaining and not a problem.

moytoy
02-06-2010, 08:18
Yesterday I was about to get on I-95 in Ocala and notice three people and three dogs walking down HWY 27. They were heading east and I was heading west. I pegged them as rainbow people and then I just couldn't help myself. I had to find out if I was right. I made the u turn and caught them as they were going in to the Burger King. The two guys were in the parking lot with the dogs so I parked and walked over and ask if they were rainbow people. They were and we had a brief conversation. They were bummed when I told them that they were still 25 miles from the Forest. Then they wanted to know if I had a cell phone they could use. I did have a cell in my pocket but these guys were filthy and they were passing a cig. butt around, sucking out the last little bit on nicotine they could. I just couldn't see them pawing my cell. I said no, no cell phone. I parted with them and felt a little guilty about the cell lie.

Pedaling Fool
02-06-2010, 09:03
Sounds like a group of your typical eco-friendly environmentalist:sun

Mr. Magoo
02-06-2010, 10:37
Why feel guilty? They live that way, by choice.

I just couldn't see them pawing my cell. I said no, no cell phone. I parted with them and felt a little guilty about the cell lie.

JonnyWalker
02-06-2010, 13:28
Why feel guilty? They live that way, by choice.

Not trying to be rude here, but maybe because when you have the opportunity to help someone(regardless of who it is) and you don't, sometimes you feel guilty.

Mr. Magoo
02-06-2010, 16:51
You're not being rude... You're entitled to your opinion. I think that if any of them were in trouble, the cell phone use would not have been an issue.

Graywolf
04-04-2010, 15:45
The way I see it, any time someone lives off the mainstream way of living, i.e. big house, 4 suv's out front, 100,000$ year job,etc, etc, the media, officials, public eye, police, ATF, FBI and anyone else designated as such is going to harass you and belittle you..Its just the way of our society..

Unless these people are actually harming you, I would just leave them alon and let them be..They are living a way that is right to them..I have iften heard that some trail towns years ago pretty much shut oit thru hikers too because of the negative hikers that Do hike the trail..I'm saying this because there is more than one group of poeple that has a bad rap..Don';t judge..

Graywolf

bfitz
04-05-2010, 13:43
It's like...ever been to a football game?

trailangelbronco
04-05-2010, 15:37
The freaks came to Idaho years ago. they were in a spot where the salmon were running thru streams and left a heck of a mess. They left trash in the fields and in the streams. It took volunteers weeks to get it cleaned up afterwards. I am not saying that Rainbow people are bad. But, they left one heck of a mess in a beautiful area in Idaho.
I hope they never come back, for their own sake.

Omarwannahike
04-14-2010, 12:46
The way I see it, any time someone lives off the mainstream way of living, i.e. big house, 4 suv's out front, 100,000$ year job,etc, etc, the media, officials, public eye, police, ATF, FBI and anyone else designated as such is going to harass you and belittle you..Its just the way of our society..
Graywolf

I don't own a car, don't even know how to drive (long story), I don't have a house and don't want one. I do work, and don't make 100k a year, almost though.

However, proof of say, a mess or at worse not even following Leave No Trace suggestions damages the public's access to public land. Yes they can come up with any number of fancy words to put in place to not allow us in to any given bit of pub land, we all know this. I only would comment as far as how their actions impact the general use of these areas, not their lifestyle of choice.

Lastly, I don't think that the prospect of being beaten up while hiking by a guy named Buddha welcomes people to the outdoors. Florida or anywhere else.

Wheeler
04-14-2010, 13:37
The freaks came to Idaho years ago. they were in a spot where the salmon were running thru streams and left a heck of a mess. They left trash in the fields and in the streams. It took volunteers weeks to get it cleaned up afterwards. I am not saying that Rainbow people are bad. But, they left one heck of a mess in a beautiful area in Idaho.
I hope they never come back, for their own sake.

Why? You gonna lump 'em up? Show them your brand of trail angel-ing?

warraghiyagey
04-14-2010, 13:44
Why? You gonna lump 'em up? Show them your brand of trail angel-ing?
Agreed. . . sounds like ideological sour grapes. . .

Krag
04-14-2010, 14:08
http://www.twelvetribes.com/

These folks welcome them with open arms.

Lone Wolf
04-14-2010, 14:11
i particularly love rainbow thru-hikers who are into phish and the dead. they're always welcomed with open arms at my place