PDA

View Full Version : Why I Will Thru Hike The AT

JohnsonDigital
01-20-2010, 22:48
html { font-family:verdana,arial,helvetica,sans-serif; font-size:11px; } body { margin: 0; padding:5px; background: #FFF; } p { margin:0; } a { color: blue !important; text-decoration:none !im

Wasn't really sure to post this, but this seemed the best fit. Maybe some of you agree, maybe some of you don't. Frankly I don't care.

I'm 21 years old, I've got an OK job with a possible career path, good friends and good family. Yet for some reason I'm willing to leave this all behind to pursue a dream. Make that a "Calling", as that's about the only way I can describe it. A few days ago I came to the realization that I need to change. I need to change what I'm doing and possibly who I am. Something doesn't feel right inside, something's missing, something is wrong, and I've known it for a long time. Anywhere I've been I've never felt like that's where I "belonged", like I was supposed to be there, like that was home. Maybe I'm insane, or suffer from any number of other mental illnesses, but maybe...just maybe I'm right. Maybe, I'm going to do exactly what I need to. On April 2nd, 2010 I will start my trek across the Appalachian Trail from Springer Mountain, Georgia to Mount Katahdin, Maine. A journey of 2,178 miles, across 14 states, and through 3 seasons. To do this I'll be leaving everything I know, almost everything I own, and everything I once was. Some of you are reading this right now and asking why. Some of you are reading this and saying go for it! Frankly, I'm not doing this for any of you and I don't give a damn what you think. If you want to support me in my journey of self discovery then thank you. If you want to criticize me and talk me out of it, then please be on your merry way and go talk to someone else as you're not going to sway my decision. I could very well make plans to go next year and save up enough money to start over when I get done with the trail, but what many of you reading this fail to understand is that I don't want to be doing exactly what I'm doing when I get done with my journey. I'm searching for something, what I don't know, but I expect to find it on the Trail. It might not be what I'm looking for, it might not be what I want, but it will be what I need to learn. I promise you I will not come off the Trail unless it's at Mount Katahdin, Maine or in a body bag.

Some of you may understand where I'm coming from. Some of you may have felt what I'm feeling right now. It's almost as if my very sanity is hanging in there by a hair and the only way to maintain it is to depart upon my journey. The Trail calls to me, I don't understand why, I just know in my heart that I must do this. I must. There is no option for failure. As I said before It's Mount Katahdin one way or the other. Running, hiking, or even crawling. All I know is that the life I'm meant to live is not the one I'm living at this point in time. I will be giving up my job, most of my material possessions, and setting foot on a journey that I can barely begin to prepare for. This is my decision, this is what I must do. This is goodbye, to everything I have ever known in hope of finding where I'm truly meant to be. Be it God, be it insanity, be it adventure. I will go.

Hosaphone
01-20-2010, 23:02
Some of you are reading this right now and asking why.

No, I don't think any of us are :p

I promise you I will not come off the Trail unless it's at Mount Katahdin, Maine or in a body bag.

It's very easy to break an ankle. The trail will probably still be there next year if you do.

Good attitude, but you should be realistic as well. If your body is telling you to stop and see a doctor, do it. You won't be able to crawl 2000 miles. At least, not before Katahdin closes in October :p

Lilred
01-20-2010, 23:12
Wow dude, that's pretty melodramatic. You do know that you're preaching to the choir.

Talk you out of it??? Ummmm I don't think so, not from this group.

Buddy, we don't "fail to understand" anything. Why do you think most people go out there??? Certainly not because we like doing the same old same old.

Are you going to keep an online journal??? Sure would like to keep track of this hike.

Good luck and have fun!!

climber2377
01-20-2010, 23:14
did you write this to show your friends and family who wont or dont support you? i think this is the wrong venue for your note, but wish you the best on your hike. peace be the journey

Skidsteer
01-20-2010, 23:16
All right then. I don't reckon we can talk you out of it.

Blissful
01-20-2010, 23:27
I guess that's that.... (so there, folks!)

Anyway, sure hope you find what you're looking for. I could give you a slight hint, but figure you can find it on your own, if you're willing and your heart is open.

Peace

:)

jnanagardener
01-20-2010, 23:35
Nice to see you are ready for some "next steps". Best of luck to you...

JohnsonDigital
01-20-2010, 23:37
Sorry, yes this was written not for this audience, but for people that don't understand. I do apologize, but I thought I'd post it here also to show how I feel about going.

JJJ
01-20-2010, 23:43
I've known the feeling.
But you really can't use the AT to slack pack around your problems.
You can leave your life behind, you can leave your possessions behind, but you can't really leave yourself behind.
That's a bigger challenge than anything you'll likely encounter on the AT.
I don't care if you walk 20 miles or 2000 miles, I hope you find what you need.
If you make it to Damascus, give me a yell, I'll buy your lunch.
jjj

JohnsonDigital
01-20-2010, 23:46
Is that a buffet lunch? :-D

JJJ
01-20-2010, 23:53
No buffet in DAM.
Just pizza, hamburger, BBQ
things like that. :D

JohnsonDigital
01-20-2010, 23:59
I'll take all 3 when I get there :)

prain4u
01-21-2010, 00:03
Wow! That was a pretty intense posting! I don't know whether to applaud your enthusiasm or to be worried that your intense enthusiasm and determination might (at some point) potentially override any safety considerations. (Not that it is my place or my job to either applaud you or to question you!)

I notice that you joined WhiteBlaze yesterday. You are from Florida and are age 21. I am wondering if you might be willing to humor me (us?) by providing some more information regarding yourself and your hike?

How much hiking experience do you have? Do you have any camping or other outdoor experience? How well are you currently set for equipment? How much planning have you done for this trip? What is your current level of physical conditioning? What is the square root of 2,178? etc.

If you only recently came up with this goal of hiking the AT and if you are starting out from "square one" with the planning and with obtaining your equipment--you sure have a lot of work (and purchasing) to do in the next 10 weeks!

Good luck!

Johnny Appleseed
01-21-2010, 01:10
Why am I reminded of Mr. Wonka on charley and the chocolate factory when he is trying to weed out the little heathens from possible inheritance. What does he say to those who will not listen and keep doing what they want to do? "No, stop, don't" in the weakest voice you ever heard.

That is me saying, "no you lunatic don't do the best thing I ever did in my life, stop having as much fun as the people I hiked with, don't hike you homeless hiker trash" in the weakest voice since Mr. Wonka.

I am also insane. Best we don't hike together :p

stranger
01-21-2010, 02:54
Don't be so rigid and emotive, neither will get you praise here...and I can't help but be reminded of "Into the Wild" when I read this...

Is someone taking crazy pills?

JohnsonDigital
01-21-2010, 03:09
Just for your amusement I will entertain you with my experience. I by no means claim to be an expert in any area, my experience is somewhat limited, but when it comes to long distance trekking, it's one thing I've always been good at. I spent 2 years in the Army and I know very well what it means to hike 50 miles in 3 days wearing boots, with an external frame ruck sack weighing 60 - 80lbs. Mind you this was a year ago, and since I've gotten out I haven't done any backpacking, but I do walk on a regular basis and go tromping through the woods around my area hunting small game. As far as camping experience goes, I've been camping since before I can remember with a tent and without a tent. I've made my own shelters out of tarps in many different forms, and understand the need for different types of shelters in different types of areas and different climates.

As far as gear goes, I have nothing, but when it comes to acquiring and making things I'm pretty talented, and I know enough to listen to others, and try stuff out first. I plan to do quite a number of practice hikes around here before I set out to test out my gear and see where my possible problem areas are. I don't plan to bring my laptop, cell phone (I don't own one in fact, I got rather tired of dealing with cell phone companies), books, tv, microwave. I plan to bring what I need, and I've been spending hours and hours going over these "gear lists" and deciding what I will really need. My biggest concern is not of my gear, there's a way to get by without certain things, but of food. I'm looking at doing a few mail drops along the way, along with a few trips into town to resupply. I'm still exploring options, but I don't plan to be a purist or any of these other labels applied to thru hikers. I'm doing this for my own self discovery and I'll learn what I don't know along the way. I'm sure I'll be shedding some of the gear I bring even after doing some shakedowns, but I'm accounting for this in my budget. The biggest things I'm going to be testing out are my shoes and my pack. Those two items can cause the most discomfort from my experience if not properly fitted. Will I spend 150 bucks on a pack? Probably not, I'm still debating on designing my own with stuff from around the house here. As far as sleeping arrangements go, if any of you have ever been in the military or been in an Army surplus store you should know what a Whoobi is, or a poncho liner. They make amazing blankets and are extremely lightweight, I'm still doing research on what exactly I feel I want to bring, but I'm aware that I very well might be changing gear for warmer stuff when I get farther north anyways. Anyways, I'm still doing my research every day and working on my planning, but I am very open to suggestions. Please let's not get into a debate over which pack is best as it's a matter of personal fit and preference and hiking style. But if you have some tips and tricks I'm all ears.

prain4u
01-21-2010, 04:30
Glad to hear that you have carried a heavy pack in the Army and spent some time camping and using various tarps. Those experiences should serve you well.

As far as sleeping arrangements go, if any of you have ever been in the military or been in an Army surplus store you should know what a Whoobi is, or a poncho liner. They make amazing blankets and are extremely lightweight.

I have done quite a bit of camping and hiking since 1970. I am also in the Army National Guard. When my military unit is in the field, I am known to do the whole "macho guy" thing and throw my poncho on the ground and sleep on it with only the poncho liner as a blanket. Based upon my experiences, I would STRONGLY encourage you to rethink the poncho liner as your sleep system (except in guaranteed warm weather). You are really pushing the safe limits of a poncho liner outdoors at about 45-50 degrees (even if you use a sleeping pad with a good R-value). Parts of the AT will get far colder than 50 degrees.

Good luck on your planning and preparations.

Lone Wolf
01-21-2010, 07:33
No buffet in DAM.
Just pizza, hamburger, BBQ
things like that. :D

Pizza Plus is a buffet

Toolshed
01-21-2010, 08:05
Johnson,
This is not meant to be critical, but trying to be empathic. It sounds as though you were vacillating between self-pity, depression and anger as you wrote this.

You state you are 21, with 2 years in the military, have you recently separated? Vets go through a lot of depression and internal turmoil once they leave the excitement of the armed forces and come back home to end up with the same people and the same environment in a job that seems to go nowhere. Many of the friends and acquaintances at home simply don't understand.

I remember after a few years in Germany and UK, I finally got stateside and home. The first night I hit and old local bar and sure enough one of the regular drinkers made the comment - "Hey Man where you been the last couple of weeks - Ain't seen ya around?" that's when I realized I couldn't go back home and needed to go somewhere with much more excitement and adventure. Somewhere new.

I think the trail makes a great getaway if you have the mental fortitude to keep at it. Quite a few don't, but that's not a bad thing, I think many hit the trail looking to escape their 100 problems per day, but end up finding 100 new & different problems per day.

If this is hitting home, Reach out to your local VA and speak with them. I believe they provide counselors to assist you with transitions like this, provide advice and make recommendations.

If you make it to the trail - good. If you make it all the way - great. If you decide to get off and move on with your life - No worries either - you went through the experience,.
As LW always says. "It's only walking" (I'd like to add "and stinking pretty bad").
Cheers!!!

Newb
01-21-2010, 08:38
Don't do it. You'll never make it. It's dangerous out there. The bears will get you. You have to be crazy.

JJJ
01-21-2010, 08:44
Pizza Plus is a buffet

I had repressed that.

Red Beard
01-21-2010, 08:53
Best of luck to you Johnson. I understand quite a bit of what you wrote. Hope to see you out on the trail. Happy hiking!

OneTimeBigTime
01-21-2010, 10:51
If I'm being honest...I personally don't think the AT is gonna do for you/give you what your looking for. To me it sounds like your trying to run from a problem that really lies within you. So though you may leave FL to thru hike the AT, your problem will follow you all of the 2178 miles unless you make peace with whatever your going through. I think your passion is great and inspiring but, really, it's misdirected. It's very evident when you read your post that your all over the place. Personally, I hope you find what your missing before you get on the trail so you don't set yourself up for failure.

drastic_quench
01-21-2010, 11:23
Don't hang all of melodrama and Very Serious Importance on your hike: just go hike it. There's too many things big and small that can end your hike, from shin splints, infected blisters, stress fractures, funds, and even big stuff off-trail like a death in your family. Just go have fun and do as much as you can, which is hopefully the whole thing, and leave the if-it-kills-me attitude behind.

Spokes
01-21-2010, 11:27
An idea for a screenplay maybe? Here's my version:

Blackness.......

Fade In- Shot of the crisp Spring sky.......

Cut To- A set of hiking poles.......

Pan Out- To reveal a hiker starting to walk down a lonesome path........

Begin- Traditional mountain music with banjo, fiddle, and doghouse bass...

EVERYTHING SPEEDS UP, the frame shaking like a madman suddenly grabbed hold of the camera.

Show Title.....

Welcome to the Appalachian Trail

Lone Wolf
01-21-2010, 11:31
walkin on a trail ain't a "calling". the priesthood is

Hooch
01-21-2010, 11:36
walkin on a trail ain't a "calling". the priesthood isOr nursing. :D

jesse
01-21-2010, 11:44
Just remember the secret of life is that one thing.

Hooch
01-21-2010, 11:52
Booze? :rolleyes::D

Lone Wolf
01-21-2010, 11:58
sperm hittin the egg?

HDMama
01-21-2010, 12:02
I have a son who turned 21 in June. You are right in one thing...you have to discover yourself, by yourself. No one can do this for you. But, this process of self-discovery, self-awareness can be accomplished in many forms, not just the trail. "The Trail" does not care, nor will it have mercy on you. DO NOT burn any bridges on your departure because you may need their support in the future in the way of friendship, shelter, or employment even if it's only temporary. That being said, I hope to see you out there. Hike your own hike.

HDMama
NOBO March 2010

JJJ
01-21-2010, 12:11
..... I think your passion is great and inspiring but, really, it's misdirected. .....

But half the fun of being young is misdirected passion.
No matter how old you are.

You may be right, but doesn't thur walking the AT initiate you into the preisthood of walking?

Lone Wolf
01-21-2010, 12:13
but doesn't thur walking the AT initiate you into the preisthood of walking?

nah, cuz in the end it's just walkin'

Jester2000
01-21-2010, 14:03
Kind of overly dramatic for someone who didn't know what the approach trail was two days ago.

Good luck, though. Try to have some fun out there too.

saimyoji
01-21-2010, 14:10
Johnson,
This is not meant to be critical, but trying to be empathic. It sounds as though you were vacillating between self-pity, depression and anger as you wrote this.

You state you are 21, with 2 years in the military, have you recently separated? Vets go through a lot of depression and internal turmoil once they leave the excitement of the armed forces and come back home to end up with the same people and the same environment in a job that seems to go nowhere. Many of the friends and acquaintances at home simply don't understand.

I remember after a few years in Germany and UK, I finally got stateside and home. The first night I hit and old local bar and sure enough one of the regular drinkers made the comment - "Hey Man where you been the last couple of weeks - Ain't seen ya around?" that's when I realized I couldn't go back home and needed to go somewhere with much more excitement and adventure. Somewhere new.

I think the trail makes a great getaway if you have the mental fortitude to keep at it. Quite a few don't, but that's not a bad thing, I think many hit the trail looking to escape their 100 problems per day, but end up finding 100 new & different problems per day.

If this is hitting home, Reach out to your local VA and speak with them. I believe they provide counselors to assist you with transitions like this, provide advice and make recommendations.

If you make it to the trail - good. If you make it all the way - great. If you decide to get off and move on with your life - No worries either - you went through the experience,.
As LW always says. "It's only walking" (I'd like to add "and stinking pretty bad").
Cheers!!!

Hey Rick....where you been the last couple of weeks? :-?

ShelterLeopard
01-21-2010, 14:41
Why am I reminded of Mr. Wonka on charley and the chocolate factory when he is trying to weed out the little heathens from possible inheritance. What does he say to those who will not listen and keep doing what they want to do? "No, stop, don't" in the weakest voice you ever heard.

The same scene went through my mind as well.
No. Wait. Stop.

Kind of overly dramatic for someone who didn't know what the approach trail was two days ago.

Good luck, though. Try to have some fun out there too.

Though you must admit, anyone who's first question is "is it a buffet"? has a hiker mindset. :D

emerald
01-21-2010, 15:02
Walkabouts may be a good thing, but through hiking doesn't answer the fundamental question everyone must answer. The answer comes from within.

Life is about commitment to a cause which benefits life on Earth because we can't live forever. It's about what you value and leave in your wake.

You may walk from Amicalola Falls to Baxter Peak, body willing, but the day will come when you need to get on with life. No one's going to pay you to walk the AT for the rest of your life.

Think as you walk about how you might leave behind a better place than you found for someone else.

Spokes
01-21-2010, 15:39

Don't forget radiator mechanics......

Hooch
01-21-2010, 15:43
Walkabouts may be a good thing, but through hiking doesn't answer the fundamental question everyone must answer. The answer comes from within.

Life is about commitment to a cause which benefits life on Earth because we can't live forever. It's about what you value and leave in your wake.

You may walk from Amicalola Falls to Baxter Peak, body willing, but the day will come when you need to get on with life. No one's going to pay you to walk the AT for the rest of your life.

Think as you walk about how you might leave behind a better place than you found for someone else.Are you talkin' about trail maintenance? 'Cause that's Weary's job. :rolleyes::D

Toolshed
01-21-2010, 16:07
Hey Rick....where you been the last couple of weeks? :-?
Grrrr. A funny thing happened not on the way to the SoRuck......:rolleyes:

D'Artagnan
01-21-2010, 16:19
Thank you for your service. I hope you find what you seek on the Trail.

emerald
01-21-2010, 16:24
Are you talkin' about trail maintenance? 'Cause that's Weary's job. :rolleyes::D

As a famous shelterbuilder once said, many hands make the work light.

A funny thing happened not on the way to the SoRuck......:rolleyes:

You do seem to be having a hard time settling on an avatar lately.:-?:D

Lilred
01-21-2010, 19:19
I remember a story about another guy that got home from the service and decided to walk the entire AT. People told him he couldn't do it too. Some things never change..........

Pony
01-21-2010, 19:37
I remember a story about another guy that got home from the service and decided to walk the entire AT. People told him he couldn't do it too. Some things never change..........

Forrest Gump? :)

Johnny Appleseed
01-21-2010, 19:39
So what is a calling then? I thought what I felt was a calling. I guess not a profitable calling. I know I hated waiting for 3-4 months to hike the AT, KINDA like how I feel NOW w/ the PCT this year.

sbhikes
01-21-2010, 21:13
The trail isn't going to change much in your life. Everything will be right where you left it at home. If you're lucky, you'll be a little bit different on the inside. Your bad qualities will still be there. Boy will they be! But you might find out you have some good qualities you didn't know about. The trick will be finding a way to hang on to what you learned.

Most people find the best way to do that is to do another hike.

But then there are the real crazies who go back to the office the very next day like nothing ever happened. I really don't understand that!

Connie
01-21-2010, 22:34
If your family is upset, maybe you can persuade them it was common to take a Summer off before career. It used to be "a trip to Europe".

I hope your immediate family will understand, if not immediately, then will soon understand you are not going off the rails.

It is important to pursue a dream, if not now, at some point in your lifetime.

If you do not achieve it right now, I wouldn't get too concerned about it. Lighten up.

Look at the age of people hiking. Read here a little. Read here a lot.

There are people young and old, professionals, and all kinds of people here. I don't think anyone here will try to talk you out of it.

People here will try to help you achieve a thru-hike.

It is a hard thing to not have the approval, or understanding, of your family.

See if they will understand, explaining it is a terrible thing to deny one's dream: If not now, maybe later on. Tell them you do not want to wait until you have retirement from career. Many men take a "sabbatical" at "mid-life crisis".

Tell them, it will help you get more "settled" and more yourself, more who you are.

I am a Viet Nam Era United States Army veteran. If it is "culture shock" tell them you need to "decompress" and a natural environment out in nature is just plain healthy.

At any rate, saying these things may help them get a little perspective.

Don't be so hard on yourself and don't be so dramatic with them. Ask them to understand. If they cannot understand, ask them to reserve judgement.

It is a hard thing to go against your family. If they do not share your values, it is a hard thing to have them speak harshly against you.

You might tell them it is a "rite of passage" or "emergence of manhood" or "self-discovery" of "following your Bliss" although I personally would not recommend saying that one, if they are conservative. Maybe just proving to yourself you can do it?

I saw a thread here once about what do you tell your co-workers, your boss, and other naysayers. I forget the name of that thread.

Maybe others here can make suggestions?

My brothers don't know me at all. What can I say?

JohnsonDigital
01-22-2010, 00:32
So many speculations it's rather funny to read through them all. First off I promise you this has nothing to do with me leaving the military. The way I'm feeling right now is the way I've felt most of my life. The feelings ebbs just as the tides, but sometimes it's too strong to ignore. In fact it was a time just like this one that I joined the service. I had a great time and enjoyed it, but unfortunately I only got to spend 2 years in. I met a lot of great people, but in a way I'm glad I got out as there's a lot of people I'd like to never meet again.

My family is a bit of a tricky situation. Everyone in my family does whatever they find easiest to please everyone. Well on my dad's side anyways. Odd thing is, my dad is just the type that would have done what I'm about to in his younger days. My mother, well she's about 5 feet away from me in a tin, because I have yet to decide how to spread her ashes. January 24, 2009 she died of an overdose. Emotionally I'm still dealing with this, and I can't honestly say I'm dealing very well with this. Especially as this Sunday is the 1 year anniversary of her death. I found out about her death through MySpace of all the ways to find out.

Maybe I'm being "melodramatic" about all this. I don't know what I'm being, but when I got it set in my mind that I was going to thru hike this year it seemed about the only thing I could focus on. I dream about it day and night, everywhere I go I'm walking instead of driving. If it's pitch black outside and pouring down rain, I'm walking down my dirt roads just to do it. It's about the only way I can find peace any more. Maybe I'm insane, maybe I'm depressed, bipolar, hell I don't know. I'll tell you one thing though, I know the way I feel isn't normal.

Anyways maybe I'll see some of you on the trail and you can meet me in person and give me your "opinion" of my situation and reasons. This is my hike though and I plan to hike my own hike as you all put it. Maybe I'll find what I'm looking for maybe I won't, maybe this will be just another failed attempt, but it's the only thing I know to do. Besides see a psychiatrist, and I've tried that one before, we never see eye to eye on things.

stranger
01-22-2010, 02:39
I think in general people are simply making comments on the language used in your original post, and I know I certainly was poking fun at some of the language, hence quoting "Zoolander" with my crazy pills comment. Obviously there is much more going on for you as your post evolved and like always, context is everything.

I haven't lost my mother or been in the military, but in the experiences of others I know I can't honestly say either experience is a particularly good one to have, especially at 21. I will say however, the trail is a very good experience for most hikers, and many of us keep coming back again and again to the trail, for whatever reasons we have.

But the thing to remember is that the trail provides nothing, it's just rocks, roots, mud, trees, creeks and ridges, and no matter where you go...there you are, and you are going to have to deal with whatever is going on in your head - life does not stop on the trail, you cannot escape your thoughts. In reality, it's much the same but it's going to rain on you and you will have blisters...

I think this experience will be a very good one for you, and at 21 you will need that. Life doesn't really start until your early 20's in my view, I know you think you have lived, I know I did at your age, but the next decade will be a hell of alot more interesting than your life until now. So make it the best it can be...for you, no one else.

sbhikes
01-22-2010, 11:31
I feel like something is terribly wrong, too, and always have just like you. For a long time I thought it had to do with my upbringing. These days I think it's an awakening that is tied to our culture's pointless and destructive way of life. I found the answer on the trail to some extent. The trouble is, I found it hard to stay on the trail for more than a few months. So maybe the answer is somewhere else. Or maybe there is no answer.

Grampie
01-22-2010, 12:37
Go for it Man....Don't let us on White Blaze down..we will all be pulling for you.Happy trails.:sun

chief
01-22-2010, 13:55
Johnson, I just realized you're from Steele City, FL. I was born and partially raised in your area and I pass through there at least twice a year to look in on my baby sister's grave just down the road from you. If it were me still living in that area, I would be a little loony too. YES, go hiking and don't go back!

chiefduffy
01-23-2010, 12:08
Good luck, kid. The trail will teach you what you need to know, if you pay attention. Please keep us posted.

- Duffy

PNDthe4th
01-27-2010, 23:12
bring a bible.

RGB
01-28-2010, 04:07
Strange how everyone relates to you and feels the same way after your second story...hmm.

But I totally understand the feeling of needing to find something greater out there that can't be achieved in the mundane life I'm currently trapped in. You've already made it clear that you're not going to listen to any of the naysayers in this thread, but I encourage you even more to not listen to them. Especially ignore them when they equate thru-hiking the AT to something like climbing Everest, swimming the English Channel, or traversing the Sahara. It seems like you've really been doing your research, which while conditiong is very important, research is about 3x more important in any goal you want to achieve in life.

Sure, the same problems might be at home when you get back, but you might have a different perception of them too, which could help you deal with them or resolve them altogether.

Of course nothing's garuanteed, you don't know what's going to happen, and no one can tell you what you will and won't get out of it, it's a personal journey. I wish you all the luck in the world and hope you like it so much that we might run into each other in 2012 (SOBO).

Chaco Taco
01-28-2010, 08:31
Sounds like a Chris McCandless story in the making

flemdawg1
01-28-2010, 14:52
i think Nimblewill nomad said it best:
http://nimblewillnomad.com/three_wise_men.htm

Cookerhiker
01-28-2010, 16:07
As for your reasons for hiking and the torments you're experiencing, no comments or advice. I hope the hike helps you.

My only advice is please don't consider yourself a "failure" if you end your hike before Katahdin. Aside from injuries that can physically curtail the hike, you never know what might come up.

I think it's adimrable that in planning, you're setting your sights on Katahdin. All aspiring thruhikers do this. But once you're on the Trail, take one day at a time. Savor and enjoy each day.

Disney
01-28-2010, 16:16
If you want to criticize me and talk me out of it, then please be on your merry way and go talk to someone else as you're not going to sway my decision.

You came to the wrong place. All anybody does here is try to stop people from hiking. It's kind of our passion in life, our mission. I personally hate the trail so much I try to pound it in to submission every chance I get.

but what many of you reading this fail to understand is that I don't want to be doing exactly what I'm doing when I get done with my journey.

I'm starting to get the sense that we're not the primary audience.

I'm searching for something, what I don't know, but I expect to find it on the Trail. It might not be what I'm looking for, it might not be what I want, but it will be what I need to learn.

With that attitude, yeah, you probably will find something.

The Trail calls to me, I don't understand why.

It's called Springer Fever. It doesn't pass, it only goes into remission.

Disney
01-28-2010, 17:18
In all seriousness, you'll get nothing but encouragement from anyone on this site. You have some experience hoofing it, and I know you're out there to do your own thing. That's great. Hike Your Own Hike (HYOH). We're not trying to control your experience, or define it, only you can do that, and only you should do that. But, don't mistake well intentioned advice for something more sinister.

SO.
Skim this. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7630
I would say read, but it's pretty long and you don't need to know all of it.

and

Print this. It's awesome. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/articles/resupplybook.pdf

I think it's just a good idea to acknowledge that there are folks out there that have done this before, and have some generally good advice.

So read this, and just think about it. There's some fantastic stuff to consider.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5505&highlight=%22differently%22

Toolshed
01-28-2010, 17:39
You do seem to be having a hard time settling on an avatar lately.:-?:D
Been talking to Gator, have you??!?!!?!? :datz:dance:datz

Jester2000
01-28-2010, 18:29
So read this, and just think about it. There's some fantastic stuff to consider.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5505&highlight=%22differently%22

Great stuff.

Chaco Taco
01-28-2010, 18:44
Great stuff.

Wish I had seen that before my thru

300winmag
01-28-2010, 22:24
Well... as materialistic as this sounds be sure you have good, LIGHTWEIGHT equipment (& know how to use it), good, broken in boots and are FIT to hike.
They don't call the tens of miles north of Springer Mt'n. "The Trail of Gears" for nothing...

Eric

Chaco Taco
01-28-2010, 22:29
Well... as materialistic as this sounds be sure you have good, LIGHTWEIGHT equipment (& know how to use it), good, broken in boots and are FIT to hike.
They don't call the tens of miles north of Springer Mt'n. "The Trail of Gears" for nothing...

Eric

Dont know if Id go that far. Its more about peoples will. Being FIT to hike? Most people that start arent fit to hike and still go all the way.

Gramps
01-28-2010, 23:28
Mom- "I hope you find whatever it is you're looking for."

Navin- "I will, Mom, I know it's out there."

Taj Johnson- "It's out there, all right. And if you find it, see a doctor and get rid of it!"

Navin R. Johnson- "The Lord loves a working man, don't ever trust whitey, see a doctor and get rid of it."

Steve Martin- The Jerk

ShelterLeopard
01-29-2010, 11:51
I found the "what would you do differently?" thread extremely useful- about a month ago, I copied all the info I found useful and taped it into my guidebook. (Some of those simple things you just forget. I really liked the idea- take more photos of rainy days, or everyone will think the whole thing was warm and sunny, and a fair few more suggestions.)

Chaco Taco
01-29-2010, 12:39
I found the "what would you do differently?" thread extremely useful- about a month ago, I copied all the info I found useful and taped it into my guidebook. (Some of those simple things you just forget. I really liked the idea- take more photos of rainy days, or everyone will think the whole thing was warm and sunny, and a fair few more suggestions.)

Just remember, its YOUR hike. Dont base it on other people's hikes. You have to go through the whole learning curve. It is different than being a sectioner. No offense. You learn things alot quicker. When you walk out of town with 5 days of food for a 3 day section, remember that. That was the one thing we never nailed down, walking out of town with the right amount and variety of food.

ShelterLeopard
01-29-2010, 12:50
Just remember, its YOUR hike. Dont base it on other people's hikes. You have to go through the whole learning curve. It is different than being a sectioner. No offense. You learn things alot quicker. When you walk out of town with 5 days of food for a 3 day section, remember that. That was the one thing we never nailed down, walking out of town with the right amount and variety of food.

Thanks- I know you're right. And yeah, HYOH, but there were some useful things that somehow hadn't occured to me, that I'd want to do from the very beginning. (Just little things, like that you don't have to only write in your notebook in the evening, but when you stop for a break, etc... You'd think it'd be obvious, but some things I just didn't think of...)

Chaco Taco
01-29-2010, 13:54
Mainly just relax and have fun. If someone says"Hey lets do this trail" seriously consider it if its better than the AT.

Disney
01-29-2010, 17:13

Yeah it's a great piece of advice.

Early on, I got caught in a rainstorm and had to hike 3 miles through a waterfall at the end of the day. I was cold, miserable, angry, and bitter (damn shelter's too far away). As soon as I got to the shelter, I whipped out my camera and had someone take a few pictures of me coming out of the rain. They came out PERFECT. You just can't replicate that expression.

Chaco Taco
01-29-2010, 19:24
Yeah it's a great piece of advice.

Early on, I got caught in a rainstorm and had to hike 3 miles through a waterfall at the end of the day. I was cold, miserable, angry, and bitter (damn shelter's too far away). As soon as I got to the shelter, I whipped out my camera and had someone take a few pictures of me coming out of the rain. They came out PERFECT. You just can't replicate that expression.

Haha, yea my first stretch in GA started in the rain for 3 days. Got to MTNX and hiked out in the sunshine. Made it all worth it!!!