PDA

View Full Version : March 17th Warmth Management. What do you think?

twodifferentsocks
01-20-2010, 22:51
Disclaimer 1: I get cold...easily, especially my feet. 45 degrees is cold.
Disclaimer 2: I bought this stuff at EXTREME discounts, so no Patagucci comments please. I bought these brands because these are the brands I had access to and these are the ones my ski shop carries (Except for Marmot...I bought those at full retail.)
Disclaimer 3: All this stuff is owned or on it's way.
Disclaimer 4: I will jettison the boots and 0deg bag for my summer bag in early May, then try some of those trainers you folks seem to love:) My feet are ALWAYS cold.

Sleeping - - -
Sleeping Bag -Mountain Hardwear - Banshee 0Deg SL - Conduit Shelled 800 Down
Sleeping Pad - Thermarest - NeoAir Regular
Sleeping Pad - Thermarest - Ridgerest cut in half
Tent - Mountain Hardwear - Helion 2 - Pitchlight setup, groundcloth, poles, fly only

Upper Body - - -
Raingear - Arc'Teryx - Arc'Teryx Theta AR - Goretex Pro
Insulation/Pillow - Patagonia - Men's Nano Puff Pullover - 60 Gram Primaloft
Insulation/Pillow - Patagonia - Men's Micro Puff Vest - 100 Gram Primaloft
Mid Layer - Marmot - Original Driclime Windshirt - Driclime
Base Layer - Patagonia - M's Capilene 2 Zip-Neck -
Base Layer - Patagonia - M's Capilene 1 T-Shirt -
- - -
Lower Body - - -
Raingear - Marmot - Precip Pants -
Insulation - Marmot - Driclime Full Zip Windpants -
Mid Layer - Mountain Hardwear - Mesa Convertible Pant -
Base Layer - Patagonia - M's Capilene 2 Bottoms -
Base Layer - Patagonia - M's Capilene 1 Bottoms -
- - -
Head/Hands/Feet - - -
Hand Rain Gear - Mountain Hardwear - Spearhead Shell -
Hand Insulation - Mountain Hardwear - Spearhead Liners -
Rain Gear - OR - Gaiters -
Feet Insulation - Sierra Designs - Drizone Packable Bootie - Primaloft-Sock Dryers
Feet Insulation - Icebreaker - Hiker Lite Crew -
Head Insulation - North Face - Heavy Hat - 200 Weight Fleece
Head Insulation - North Face - Balaclava - 100 Weight Fleece
Boots - Vasque - Sundowner -
Camp Shoes - Crocs - Buttugly's - Ones with No Holes safe for cooking

Wags
01-20-2010, 23:37
i think you'll only get cold if you fall into a creek. nice kit. people will probably tell you you don't need the windpants and the precips.

leaftye
01-21-2010, 00:11
How about these for cold feet?
http://www.amazon.com/Grabber-Warmers-Warmer-Insoles-Medium/dp/B002JIO3PO/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1264046571&sr=8-7

Super cheap too.

I think they'd be nice in the morning.

mister krabs
01-21-2010, 09:08
Did you say March 17th?

Keep warm with Guinness and Irish Whiskey.

:dance:dance:banana:dance

bigcranky
01-21-2010, 13:07
It's a good list. You should be fine.

mountain squid
01-21-2010, 13:28
Will you ever wear all that stuff at the same time? If not, you might be carrying too much.

What does 'safe for cooking' mean?

See you on the trail,
mt squid

twodifferentsocks
01-22-2010, 01:36
What does 'safe for cooking' mean?
The most common trip-ending injury I don't hear much about is the "boiling water tips over" injury. I don't cook barefoot any more than I lick cheese off a very sharp knife. With a Croc with a closed toe with no drain holes, boiling water should be less likely to ruin my week and I can enjoy getting out of my hiking shoes while I cook. Or at least that's my theory.

What is not theory is the evidence I've collected from personal conversations with outdoorsy folks over the years, where I learned that burns from cooking accidents were a strangely common injury, some of them serious enough to end the trip. I've knocked over my share of pots. Seen it done a lot of times too.

leaftye
01-22-2010, 02:09
Will you ever wear all that stuff at the same time? If not, you might be carrying too much.

I think it's a good idea to have extra clothes to stay warm in camp, especially on zero days, then again, obviously I'm not an ultralighter or I would've suggested 0.2 oz of down in a 0.33 oz/sq yd cuban suit as the complete wardrobe which also doubles as the complete sleeping system.....and pack.

Doooglas
01-22-2010, 14:11
I think it's my birthday and I'll take a beautiful 28 year old Tica and head to Tabacon hot springs for a leg of lamb with a side order of roll in the hay.:cool:
Pura Vida !