PDA

View Full Version : Thru-hike on 2,500 dollars or less?

JerTheAraluan
01-21-2010, 02:24
Hey. Total newbie here planning a thru-hike in 2011.

...On a limited budget.

I realize I may sound like someone underestimating his needs here, but I generally consist easily on little food. I'm vegetarian. That automatically limits how much I can feast in towns. I plan on spending overnight in towns very rarely, as rarely as possible in fact.

Do you think that I will be able to go from Springer to Katahdin on, at most, 2,500 dollars EXCLUDING transportation, and without being some kind of superman? Just reasonably staying away from town-binging?

Preferably, even on 2,000 dollars?

Will it require all kinds of stealth camping wherever possible, or are most shelters/campsites free or very cheap? I really want the food to be almost the only significant cost.

My basic plan on food right now is a colossal dependency on oatmeal/hot wheat/grits (I LOVE that stuff anyway), ramen crap, fruits and vegetables wherever I can get em in towns, and all kinds of high calorie stuff like pb&j with bread, nuts and dried fruit, etc.

As a bonus question on that point, I'm planning on like... zero maildrops at the moment. Is this normal, possible, and budget-smart?

Thanx muchness!

JerTheAraluan
01-21-2010, 02:28
Oh yeah, I also forgot to mention I'm EXCLUDING gear from this figure also. I'm basically asking about strictly living costs once ON THE TRAIL. :) Thanx.

TheTank
01-21-2010, 02:36
Your plan seems about right to me. In fact maybe over estimating the cost.

I hiked for about $2,000 and I did stay is town a few times, and ate in town more often. A trail life style is very in-expensive. If you are careful, you can make your only expenditures food. Almost all the shelters and camp sites are free, a few exceptions in Vermont and Maine and a lot of exceptions in the White Mountains, but even those are a moderate expenditure compared to your overall budget.

So, yes, that budget is easy as long as you do not spend an enormous number of nights in town and/or spend a large amount on alcohol. Although I would say both can make the trail even more enjoyable, but to each his own.

fiddlehead
01-21-2010, 02:41
Just limit yourself to a dollar a mile.
Most cannot do this.
Up to you!
Remember, if you are planning a NOBO hike, it gets more expensive as you travel north.

stranger
01-21-2010, 03:09
I would have to say it's unlikely, for two reasons:
- $2500
- You describe yourself as a newbie

Very few fit, experienced hikers could reach Katahdin on that amount, that works out to just over a dollar a mile. Most spend well over $3000 and many spend around $5000, this is not hard to do!

If you know from experience that you can walk by a motel towards the end of a long day and camp on the soggy ground, or gladly cook noodles at the hostel while others eat 8 slices of pizza, then sure...

But if you expect (or plan) to have this willpower, and it's not based on actual experience, then you are probably going to run out of money, like so many hikers do.

But yes...it can be done and has been done by many thru-hikers, but most thru-hikers need a hell of alot more, or would want more. Personally speaking, I could spend $2000 before I reached Daleville!

Read Weathercarrot's article on here, it will help your situation

JerTheAraluan
01-21-2010, 03:47
Thanks for the candid replies so far, everyone.

Indeed, I do know from experience that I can sleep in almost any situation; it's just how I am. Now, resisting pizza, that may be a different matter... :P

So where is this weathercarrot article?

I'm a newbie, but I'm not very needy, and like to do things with a really unorthodox and what-the-heck ethos. The main thing I'm worried about are all kinds of rules and regulations that could force me into spending. As in, I hope the shelters and campsites are mainly free, and that I can get away with camping wherever I want along much of the trail when I need to.

Starting in April 2011 at Springer, I'm also counting on falling in with many more experienced hikers who are also doing a "cheap" hike and could show me the ropes. Do most solo hikers prefer to be left alone or can they tolerate someone less experienced tagging along for a bit? I'm interested in that question generally. What's the atmosphere like starting in Georgia? Do people wind up hiking in small groups and stuff or is it less social than that?

Connie
01-21-2010, 05:15
Weathercarrot article (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2822&highlight=Weathercarrot)

I also suggest "Search" vegetarian and look in the Food sections of the forum.

There are discussions by vegetarians about the grocery stores in the towns reasonably near the trail. Here is a vegan resupply guide (http://backpackingvegan.wordpress.com/resupply-guide/) that may be helpful.

There are also discussions of "mail drops" for food and having a "bounce box" for sending the colder weather gear at the beginning of the trail to up to the other end of the trail.

I read in the forum about having about 5 "mail drops" for special things you like.

Maybe have a look at my website Site Map (http://www.ultralightbackpackingonline.info/sitemap1.html) for the food and food related pages.

I have one page in particular about calorie dense (http://www.ultralightbackpackingonline.info/foodfacts1.html) food to help maintain energy and weight.

As for on the trail, I think you will find many people are friendly and helpful.

Nevertheless, I would try to find out as much as you can in the forum.

I think people hike at their own pace, meeting each other at different points on the trail because one stopped in town or took a "zero" day or one went slower and another went faster.

If I were doing a thru-hike I would not try to hike as a group. I would not want to have any group-pressure to stop at a town nor stay in town longer than I like. The AT expression is HYOH "Hike Your Own Hike".

. . .

RollingStone
01-21-2010, 07:43

...On a limited budget.

I realize I may sound like someone underestimating his needs here, but I generally consist easily on little food. I'm vegetarian. That automatically limits how much I can feast in towns. I plan on spending overnight in towns very rarely, as rarely as possible in fact.

Do you think that I will be able to go from Springer to Katahdin on, at most, 2,500 dollars EXCLUDING transportation, and without being some kind of superman? Just reasonably staying away from town-binging?

Will it require all kinds of stealth camping wherever possible, or are most shelters/campsites free or very cheap? I really want the food to be almost the only significant cost.

My basic plan on food right now is a colossal dependency on oatmeal/hot wheat/grits (I LOVE that stuff anyway), ramen crap, fruits and vegetables wherever I can get em in towns, and all kinds of high calorie stuff like pb&j with bread, nuts and dried fruit, etc.

As a bonus question on that point, I'm planning on like... zero maildrops at the moment. Is this normal, possible, and budget-smart?

Thanx muchness!

Speaking from my experience doing long distance hiking (We have not done an AT thru yet) - If you learn to discipline yourself, you can hike on any budget you want. The problem is if you have never experienced what it is like to be out walking every day for longer than 10 days, then you haven't experienced what the hiker "pains" are like.

I went thru quite a few years on hikes thinking it was totally normal to be ravenous all the time until I began to seriously look at my diet.

Last year on an attempted thru hike of the Long Trail we did something different than we have ever done before and that was to plan our meals, and then feed our bodies a proper & balanced steady diet of calories, protein and fats. Never once got ravenous, never bonked, and walked 15-18 miles a day like we had been doing it all our lives.

My point is, do your best to get out and experience what it is like to walk 15 miles on what you think your diet should be. Even if they are road walks, then make adjustments.

I know a thru hike can be done without maildrops and in some ways is probably easier. For us, we plan on once a week drops with 5 days food that we have made here at home, and things we can buy cheaper in bulk (Snickers, Baby Ruths, Granola Bars, GORP, CLif Bars)The other 2 days will be made up with town food and other goodies supplemented from the grocery stores so we don't get bored. Let's face it, when the cravings for Oatmeal creme pies, or Fig Newtons strike, it's better to answer them than to ignore them :) We have figured out a 3 week rotation on our meals so that every day we are eating something different from home for 3 weeks.

To get an understanding of what I am talking about, take a look here at a typical Andrew Skurka meal plan. http://www.andrewskurka.com/assets/advice/nutrition/ak09.pdf The basic premise is fueling your body steadily throughout the day. My daughter thought I was crazy when I told her were going to try eating like this last summer. A couple days into the hike she announced to me she wasn't tired, wasn't hungry, and liked the idea. Our meal bags weighed a consistent 1.75 lbs each day and were 3,000 to 3300 calories for each day. A little more if we added a tablespoon of Olive oil to our dinners, something which we intend to do on our AT attempt.

In the end, do what makes you happy and HYOH but I thought I would pass this along in case it actually helps someone :) I think Skurka is crazy for some of his adventures, but after having met the man I respect him for his accomplishments and his way of eating I believe helps lead him to his successes by infusing steady calories and discipline.

Lone Wolf
01-21-2010, 07:47

possible but not probable. better chance if you go SOBO

Grinder
01-21-2010, 08:10
the biggest obstacle to budget hiking is your friends.

while hiking you make friends and tend to travel with like minded people who hike at the same speed. It only takes a few days for these bonds to form.

If you budget hike, you can't do the town scene. This means you either hover in the weeds outside of town until they return to the trail or ????

It's a tough one and I wish you luck.

Datto
01-21-2010, 09:26
Hiking in the south (from Springer to Harper's Ferry) will be way less expensive for a thru-hike per mile than from Connecticut to Katahdin. If you're a northbounder you should have half your budget still availlable by the time you reach Connecticut.

Also note that of those who start a thru-hike, I'd say those that left the Trail did so because of mental reasons and food will definitely affect your mental condition.

I don't see how you'll be able to complete a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail on $2500 but if you start at Springer and become a northbounder you may have a better chance since it'll be less expensive for a long ways.

Datto

Datto
01-21-2010, 09:30
I'd say those that left the Trail did so because of mental reasons

Meant to say "the majority" of those that left the Trail did so because of mental reasons (rather than physical reasons).

Thinkin' bone's connected to the...typin' bone.

Datto

JerTheAraluan
01-21-2010, 11:34
Thanks thanks thanks for all the replies people! I'm already getting a rather positive image of AT hikers from the in-depth posting here and the time people take to help others out.

Connie and RollingStone, thank you for the helpful links, I'll be reading those through and through.

It is very interesting to see the contrasting views here over whether it's more budget friendly to hike NoBo or SoBo. So NoBo, you get to settle down mentally to trail life on the cheap, and the costs hit you when you're already more than half way through. SoBo, you're less likely to be hurtin for money in the homestretch. One way or another, I'll be hiking NoBo for a variety of reasons, but thanks for the information.

the biggest obstacle to budget hiking is your friends.

while hiking you make friends and tend to travel with like minded people who hike at the same speed. It only takes a few days for these bonds to form.

If you budget hike, you can't do the town scene. This means you either hover in the weeds outside of town until they return to the trail or ????

It's a tough one and I wish you luck.

That makes alot of sense. Although how difficult is it for friends to split up at town and then rendezvous again a short distance ahead on the trail at some shelter or something?

Lone Wolf
01-21-2010, 11:49
if and when a hiker makes it to damascus, 460 miles, they've spent a ton of money. there's so many hostels, outfitters, shuttlers, towns, etc. to suck in newbie's money. the weather is bad so you tend to stay in motels more. heck most drop at least $200 just 30 miles into the trip at Neel gap. Sobo is the way to go

jesse
01-21-2010, 11:57
...Do you think that I will be able to go from Springer to Katahdin on, at most, 2,500 dollars...

Doesn't matter. Just get out there and hike till the money is gone. Have fun. Enjoy the miles you hike, don't worry about the ones you might not hike.

climber2377
01-21-2010, 12:00
what are your plans for shelter??? seems to me if you have a kick ass shelter, why spend money on hotels and such. besides getting a shower, why spend $ on hotels???

Lone Wolf
01-21-2010, 12:01
what are your plans for shelter??? seems to me if you have a kick ass shelter, why spend money on hotels and such. besides getting a shower, why spend $ on hotels???

you ever attempt a thru-hike starting in march?

JerTheAraluan
01-21-2010, 12:24
if and when a hiker makes it to damascus, 460 miles, they've spent a ton of money. there's so many hostels, outfitters, shuttlers, towns, etc. to suck in newbie's money. the weather is bad so you tend to stay in motels more. heck most drop at least $200 just 30 miles into the trip at Neel gap. Sobo is the way to go

I hear ya, but for logistical reasons, it's Nobo for me. Not only that, but it's probably way smarter for a newbie to "hike with the crowd" to learn stuff from observation you know? I'll just have to hope my willpower is strong. Just the concept of people making money off your creature weaknesses pisses me off enough to motivate.

Doesn't matter. Just get out there and hike till the money is gone. Have fun. Enjoy the miles you hike, don't worry about the ones you might not hike.

Great advice! Thanks.

You remind me, I meant to ask a question about showering/washing. How many oppurtunities are there for washing in "natural ways"? As in rivers and lakes and swimming holes and stuff? It would be great to wash like this at least twice a month but I'm expecting an answer like "you can almost never do this and even when the oppurtunity presents itself, rangers are on the patrol" or something.

Jester2000
01-21-2010, 12:26
Advantages to NOBO:
-- more opportunity to meet and hike with others, which you mentioned (but may be detrimental to your budget)

-- more AYCE and hostels (cheaper than hotels) in the first part of your hike, when you're still getting used to the trail (and many hiker-oriented services -- read cheaper -- are set up for the NOBO season, and may be closed when SOBOs pass through)

Advantages to SOBO:
-- most likely better weather at the beginning, making you less likely to want to bail into town

-- less chance of falling in with a group that ropes you into spending time/money in town

-- front-loaded expenditures (towns get cheaper the further into your hike you get)

All in all, I think I agree with Lone Wolf on this one. SOBO might be a better option.

Some things to consider:
Regardless of how little can sustain you in your regular life, you will need to consume ridiculous amounts of calories when hiking. A previous poster mentioned being able to carry 3000-3300 calories per day. In my experience, that's still not enough for most thru-hikers. Caloric deficit is made up in town. But do take note of Connie's list of calorie-dense foods. You'll need to adjust your thinking and shop for foods with the biggest caloric bang for the least weight buck.

As others have also mentioned, lack of experience is an issue, not with the hiking itself, but with lack of knowledge regarding how your brain will react to long distance hiking. Most of the people I know spent way more than they thought they would on their first thru-hike, because they really didn't anticipate what would actually make them happy or miserable while on the trail. It's easy to think you'd have no interest in going into Gatlinburg while hiking through the Smokies.

But throw in cold rain for four days, and everything you own is moist at best, followed by an ice storm and 28 degree weather, and all of a sudden a hot shower, washer/dryer, and hot restaurant meal starts looking pretty good. Especially if your hiking buddies have decided to bail into town.

I don't mean to discourage you, but it's important to know what you don't know.

But I will say that to be successful on a short budget, you'll need to really keep track of what you're spending. Not doing so is the mistake that causes what Lone Wolf mentioned -- people getting to Damascus and discovering that they've already spent a ton of cash, in what should be one of the cheaper sections of trail. Up to a certain point you can go over budget and make corrections to what you're doing, but there's a tipping point you don't want to reach -- the point at which you're on trail and know that there's no way you could possibly finish. To many, though, the finishing isn't that important, and they just keep hiking 'til they run out of money.

Good luck with your planning! I agree with Lone Wolf -- I think it's possible, but not probable.

Jester2000
01-21-2010, 12:33
You'll want to become a master at what's referred to as a Nero, which involves camping just short of a town (which occasionally involves some planning), going into town and getting town chores done, and getting out.

There are plenty of opportunities to wash yourself on trail, and it's not illegal, unless you're using soap while in the water source (it doesn't matter if the soap is "biodegradeable" or not). You'll hardly ever bump into rangers. As long as you don't foul a water source, it's fine. You may want to carry a collapsable water bucket or a shower with you if this is part of your plan.

But I will say this: washing yourself in early March in the woods is not fun. I'd save that kind of thing for the summer.

You could think of a hot shower as a "creature weakness" now, but it can be the kind of indulgence that keeps you on trail.

Spokes
01-21-2010, 12:42

...On a limited budget.
I'm vegetarian.

JerTheAraluan post raises a question- Do vegans typically spend more or spend less thru-hiking the trail?

I have the slightest idea.

bigcranky
01-21-2010, 13:01
Just the concept of people making money off your creature weaknesses pisses me off enough to motivate.

You could say the same thing about every grocery store, restaurant, and bar in your home town -- they make money from your "creature weaknesses." Even if you can avoid all those places in your regular life, your needs do change somewhat on the Trail. Just be aware of that.

Johnny Thunder
01-21-2010, 13:03
JerTheAraluan post raises a question- Do vegans typically spend more or spend less thru-hiking the trail?

I have the slightest idea.

Having hiked long distance on my normal diet and on my girlfriend's vegan diet I think it's basically a push. Many common hiker foods are vegan just by stroke of luck. That said, vegan hikers should be prepared to eat a lot of the same things over and over again. Especially in areas with limited resupply. Maybe the same lipton side for 3 nights in a row until you get to the next town. But, things like Oreo's, peanut butter, Pretzels, many fruit flavored candy, etc can be found at every resupply and are vegan.

The one thing I found that might influence the difference in cost of a total hike for a vegan/non-vegan is the limits of town food options. Many times jess basically had to chose between eating a plate of french fries or order something expensive off-menu. Probably the difference between spending $3 and $15-20 each town meal.

DavidNH
01-21-2010, 13:13
Imagine, you have been hiking all day in the rain. Been pouring mud everywhere. You finally get to a town and do a resupply. You hear that it is going to rain for several more days. Can you honestly tell me you are going to get right back on the trail and not shell out for the hostel and the restaurant? On a tight budget, you won't have the luxury of the hostel. You will have to get back on the trail regardless of weather or if your feet hurt. There are precious few free or donation only hostels. Only a few could be considered really cheap. You will probably have to pass up on restaurant meals almost all together. And has already been said, master the into town and resupply and out of town same day.

Tip, the further north you hike the more expensive things will get.

David

...On a limited budget.

Thanx muchness!

Grinder
01-21-2010, 13:30
about waiting for friends in town to get back on the trail. you say
"That makes alot of sense. Although how difficult is it for friends to split up at town and then rendezvous again a short distance ahead on the trail at some shelter or something?"

Sure you can do that, but imagine it this way

They come out from a dry day spent watching TV and Lolling in the hot shower

You have been cowering away fom the rain in your 2x6foot enclosure or an open sided shelter sunk in you hiker funk.

I know I would develop a firm case of "situational envy". and be bored stiff waiting for them, surrounded by my personal odors.

Just saying

Now, if you can find another Hardy boy to travel with, It would be much more possible to enjoy.

ShelterLeopard
01-21-2010, 13:44

...On a limited budget.

Thanx muchness!

Haven't read the other responses yet (I know, bad bad bad), first off, there are at least five other threads going on this same subject. This is not to say you shouldn’t have started this thread, just that you may want to look up the others as we may have missed something here. (I’m uber tired today, so I might). Your budget is achievable, if you organize your priorities. What is most important to you? Food, clean, warm bed and shower? (Remeber, the things you think are important now, from your warm dry, food filled house may change after you've been hungry, soaking wet and cold for a week).

Do you smoke a lot? Stop, it's expensive, and it'll blow your budget.

The North is more expensive thank the South. I have heard many say to set aside 2/3 of your budget for the North, and use only 1/3 (at most) for the South.

Try not to stay overnight in towns every time you go in. Hike a mile in to the road/ town, do your stuff, hike back out. Also, try only to get one restaurant meal, not three. Likewise, if you spend the night in town, eat one meal at a restaurant, and make your other meals.

You can subsist on little food??? Have you ever been on a long hike? Trust me, do NOT go into this expecting not to eat much. You'll be burning about 4,000 calories a day, at least.

Dude, all shelters are free. (Well, there are a few campsites that charge for you to stay, but they are few, and there are always other places in between.

Question: Have you ever hiked the AT before? Go out and do a shakedown (basically, a test hike), preferably in freezing rain for at LEAST 4 days. It'll give you a good idea of what to expect. (Though many people's hiker hunger doesn't kick in until week 2 or 3. Mine doesn't.)

Jim Adams
01-21-2010, 13:58
Very social trail.
$2500 without alcohol is easily doable.
$10,000 with alcohol....JMO.:)

geek

ShelterLeopard
01-21-2010, 14:01
Now I've read all the responses:

Indeed, I do know from experience that I can sleep in almost any situation; it's just how I am. Now, resisting pizza, that may be a different matter... :P

Starting in April 2011 at Springer, I'm also counting on falling in with many more experienced hikers who are also doing a "cheap" hike and could show me the ropes. Do most solo hikers prefer to be left alone or can they tolerate someone less experienced tagging along for a bit? I'm interested in that question generally. What's the atmosphere like starting in Georgia? Do people wind up hiking in small groups and stuff or is it less social than that?

You will answer a bunch of your own questions by going for a hike. In the cold, wet, and soggy. Do it, do it, do it. I know I said this before, but it'll help you get a MUCH better grip of what to expect. Who you are and what you want now will change. (Though the only way to know that is to do the thru hike. But, this'll help)

Most hikers are very social, but there are some who just don't want to be bothered. You'll know who they are right away.

That makes alot of sense. Although how difficult is it for friends to split up at town and then rendezvous again a short distance ahead on the trail at some shelter or something?

After a while, you are going to get tired of waiting for your friends to loaf in town. You might be picturing a sunny day, when you just hang out in a shelter, and they hike in and you all join up, dry and ready to go. But, you may have spent the day in the rain, eating ramen, again, and you might get fed up with waiting. Which just means you may be hiking solo for a day or two. But they'll either catch up or you'll meet someone else. All I'm saying here, is that you will probably get tired of conforming your hike to someone else's schedule.

Just the concept of people making money off your creature weaknesses pisses me off enough to motivate.

You remind me, I meant to ask a question about showering/washing. How many oppurtunities are there for washing in "natural ways"? As in rivers and lakes and swimming holes and stuff? It would be great to wash like this at least twice a month but I'm expecting an answer like "you can almost never do this and even when the oppurtunity presents itself, rangers are on the patrol" or something.

After two weeks, you will pay for a hot shower.

I do bathe in the woods, all the time. In summer. When there's a flowing stream and it is 75 degrees out, and sunny, I lay my stuff out on a rock (maybe even wash my clothes, not often with soap, but just a scrubbing), let it dry, and wash or swim. In March in Georgia? I'll stink, thanks. (Maybe do a brief bandana wash.)

Sorry this was so long, I'm too tired to be consise. Good luck, and I may see you out there!

Helios
01-21-2010, 14:17
I have access to $7K for my hike, but will attempt to spend less than $1500.00. I fully know my needs having section hiked part of the AT, PCT, and many other trails. After 21 years in the Marines, and numerous deployments (I've visited 20+ countries) I know what I can / can't deal with. The extra $$ is for those emergency situations that always come up and seem to cost a lot.

Time will tell.

Helios
01-21-2010, 14:21
I have access to $7K for my hike, but will attempt to spend less than $1500.00. I fully know my needs having section hiked part of the AT, PCT, and many other trails. After 21 years in the Marines, and numerous deployments (I've visited 20+ countries) I know what I can / can't deal with. The extra $$ is for those emergency situations that always come up and seem to cost a lot.

Time will tell.

I should point out that I don't smoke or drink, and could care less if I have a bed to sleep in. I've learned to sleep anywhere. Even in the rain without a tent or tarp. twisted my cover (hat for those none Marine types) over my face and off to sleep I went.

I should also note the first thru hiker - Earl Shaeffer. His story tells of him simply crawling under a log during rainy nights. Grandma Gatewood craweled up in a thicket of bushes.

I'm heading out to enjoy a wilderness experience. Hostels are nice, but not what I'm looking for. Neither are the shelters. With this acceptance/mind set, I'm pretty sure I'll hit my mark of spending less than $1.5K.

The Flatulator
01-21-2010, 14:29
Absolutely and without a doubt you can do an entire thru-hike on $2500 or less. Biggest thing is to limit the amount of time you spend in towns and if and when you do stay in town, split costs with others for a motel or stay at the hostels when available. I agree with staying just outside of town and heading in early, doing your chores and then getting out. Most instances, however, you will need a day of rest to take care of mail, laundry, will want to contact friends/family, do your groceries, etc and it is best to stay the night and leave the next day. You can take rest days out on the Trail, but a rest day in town is much deserved and a welcome change of pace. Good luck! Watch the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves.

Snowleopard
01-21-2010, 14:45
Are you really in Tokyo? That would make it hard to do a shakedown hike on the AT.

You'll burn a lot of calories on the trail, so you will eat a lot. If you deprive yourself of enough nutrition in the beginning, at some point you'll be famished and that's where you'll blow a lot of money in town.

Plan your diet either in advance or once you see what's available in the stores. If you want Japanese food, either bring it with you or buy it at an Asian grocery in the city you fly into, and do a small number of mail drops. Budget for a certain amount of treats, whether it is an occasional pizza or just eating in a restaurant to be with your friends.

Rice and beans are nutricious and cheap. Lentils, especially red lentils, cook quickly. It is easier to do the AT as a vegetarian than as a vegan. If I were vegan, I'd carry my 1.5 lb pressure cooker.

You can wash yourself every day if you choose to with a sponge (bandanna) bath and a small amount of water. Do this away from any stream or lake; don't get soap in streams.

ShelterLeopard
01-21-2010, 14:47
Whoa, totally did not notice the "Tokyo" part. Whoops.

Blissful
01-21-2010, 15:29

...On a limited budget.

I realize I may sound like someone underestimating his needs here, but I generally consist easily on little food. I'm vegetarian. s!

Vegetarian is fine but there is no way you can make it on "little food" on a hike of this magnitude. If your system doesn't get what it needs, it will digest your muscles. Not to mention fatigue, dizziness. Don't skimp on food.

Blissful
01-21-2010, 15:31
Absolutely and without a doubt you can do an entire thru-hike on $2500 or less.

I'd agree with the years you hiked when they used to say a buck a mile! But nowadays its pretty tough to do.

Connie
01-21-2010, 15:33
It is helpful to have a water container to carry the water you need away from the water source.

I read in one thread about hygiene, one man said he got inside his shelter (tarptent or tent I don't know) and washed all over (hot water washcloth or antibacterial "wipes" I don't know, maybe one or the other depending on the amount of cleanup required) and got it done while the dinner was heating up (freezer bag cooking or not I don't know).

That is what I do, using a washcloth and when necessary using one of the antibacterial "wipes". Important for me, I feel really "grungy" if I do not get to wash my hair when it needs washing. In order to avoid having to pay for a "hot shower" if I don't want to, I have a Sea to Summit "hot shower" that is a shower fitting on a water-proof stuff sack I use the rest of the time as a water-proof stuff sack. I can stand outdoors, dressed and wash my hair. For me, this is an "essential".

If you get on any trail 5-10 days you will find out what you find "essential" for staying away from over spending in town.

Jester2000, Most of the people I know spent way more than they thought they would on their first thru-hike, because they really didn't anticipate what would actually make them happy or miserable while on the trail.Truer words were never spoken. Okay. There are other true words.

I can hike in a downpour, if I am properly fed, watered and dressed for the weather, I can hike in snow and enjoy it as a pleasant walk or a pleasant, and reasonable, challenge.

I can remain in my shelter in the worst weather and be content if I am warm or if I have a hot drink of dried miso soup or extra rich cocoa. I can enjoy that weather.

I often feel I am looking at a Japanese print of fog in and thru the mountains. I feel I can have time for myself, for my journal, for writing, for thinking, for using my computer. I have an iPod Touch. I also have an Asus EeePC. I am never far from a computer.

Hiking, I have my iPod Touch. I usually do not look at it, however I know I feel deprived if I do not have internet. I can find people for a conversation however I feel community in sharing interests on internet.

Me? I got a Sprint MiFi. Others may carry a book, if I have the Psalms I am happy.

That's how I am: I know what makes me feel miserable or deprived. I know what makes me feel happy and content. How about you? I do know, if you are interested to know, you will find out.

. . .

Dogwood
01-21-2010, 20:12
I've never heard anyone attempting an AT thru-hike complain they were quitting their hike because they had too much money set aside for their hike. ON THE OTHER HAND, met many who said they were qutting because they DID NOT have enough money set aside for their hike. Factor in, like several other posters have said, you are a newbie thru-hiker so you may not have the experience or willpower to avoid those loftier or consistent expenditures. You don't know what it is like to HAVE TO stay in the woods for maybe weeks at a time and avoid the town vortexes that succcckkkk you and your money in. Not saying you can't do it just some things to think about! Wish you well!

Bearpaw
01-21-2010, 20:39

You won't get much of an issue with someone saying you can't, but ask yourself how you feel about washing with freezing cold water while there is snow on the ground around you. A March start almost guarantees you some snow in Georgia and/or North Carolina.

As for washing in rivers and lakes, you won't see any in Georgia and North Carolina until you hit the Nantahala River, 130 miles into your hike. Most water sources are springs and other hikers probably will say you shouldn't wash there since that is everyone's drinking water.

But the truth is, like others have suggested, you will almost certainly gladly pay for a shower after several days of cold rain or sleet or snow. For me, laundry was a big deal as well, at least for socks.

Can you make it on your budget? Yeah, it's possible, but it won't be all that pleasant, especially early on.

Hyway
01-22-2010, 08:38
Well, there's Long Creek Falls, but if you feel you need a shower on the first day of hiking (2nd if you do the approach) you will need to make some adjustments to your expectations :)

fiddlehead
01-22-2010, 08:54
Hey, the guys 19 years old.
Who says he's going to need a shower every town.
The trick to not spending much money is staying out of towns.
Carry 10 days food and don't get tempted by the luxuries.

Also, no one has mentioned that people do share hotel rooms all the time on these hikes.
At least me and my hiking friends always did.

Jester2000
01-22-2010, 11:56
Hey, the guys 19 years old.
Who says he's going to need a shower every town.
The trick to not spending much money is staying out of towns.
Carry 10 days food and don't get tempted by the luxuries.

Also, no one has mentioned that people do share hotel rooms all the time on these hikes.
At least me and my hiking friends always did.

Hahahaha! My longest stretch without a shower was 19 days, and I ended up taking one because I was cold.

So yeah, maybe one of the things he won't miss is showers. But even he doesn't really know that at this point. And that's the sort of thing that can end up making you the guy who ends up annoying everyone else by asking to bum a shower in rooms that other people have paid for.

Spirit Walker
01-22-2010, 12:35
Re: Washing up:

I wash up almost every night I'm on the trail. I fill my gallon water bag with water, go off into the woods and sponge off. On the AT I used Camp Suds, but I rarely carry it any more. Water and a bandana work just fine. If there was a lake or decent sized stream and it wasn't too cold, I jumped in the water. I have known people who heated up water every day to wash up. One man just out of the navy washed his hair every night. As others have said - just don't ever use soap in the water source.

As to the question - yes, $2500 is feasible. Not easy, but you can do it if you have discipline. The later you start the easier it would be, I think. Bad weather forces a lot of the early starters to spend more time in town than they intend. Days are short so it takes longer to get from town to town. If you don't drink and don't smoke it helps a lot. Best answer is to spend as little time in town as possible.

OTOH, if you find yourself losing energy and motivation, it may be because you aren't eating enough. Our solution is to spend a couple of days in town eating fattening foods. (I had one day when I was exhausted and grumpy and ready to quit. We went to a small store and bought a loaf of bread, a dozen eggs and a pound of bacon. Three of us ate the whole thing right there. I was happy and motivated again and never again felt as miserable as I was before our fat break.) It's better to have a good hike where you only go half way than to finish the trail but be miserable the whole way. See whether the low budget lifestyle works for you. If it doesn't, change your parameters and find a way to make the hike what you want it to be.

Mags
01-22-2010, 13:31
A budget hike is possible...but even more possible if you are a veteran thru-hiker. Most people new to the LD hiking scene don't have everything dialed-in quite yet and usually (not always) spend more money than anticipated.

But if you are starting your hike approx 1 yr or so from now, is it possible to pick up a part time job 2 or 3 evenings a week? Or even on weekends? Even at $8/hr and working say 12 hrs extra a week, that's approx $75 after taxes? You have a cool ~$4/k in one year for your hike. (EDIT: Just realized you are in Japan...I do not know how the labor laws work there. But, still good advice for anyone in a similar situation. :) )

That's a nice cushion for someone who is budget minded.

For many people, a long hike is THE trip of a lifetime (except for slackers who now have to explain Swiss Cheese-like gaps in their resume when they are in their mid30s. ;) )...why not make it a little more likely to accomplish the goal with a decent budget?

Blissful
01-22-2010, 13:39
For many people, a long hike is THE trip of a lifetime (except for slackers who now have to explain Swiss Cheese-like gaps in their resume when they are in their mid30s. ;) )...why not make it a little more likely to accomplish the goal with a decent budget?

Bingo. Good advice from a veteran. If this is your hike, have the money available to go and do it with fun. I must admit I was SO glad to have the funds to stay a few extra days in Erwin at the Holiday Inn when temps dipped to the teens and the snow was deep. Did some slacking then. And this was April, Easter weekend.

JustaTouron
01-22-2010, 13:48
Hahahaha! My longest stretch without a shower was 19 days,

:eek::eek::eek:

And my better half asks me to stop at the gym and shower and change there instead of heading straight home so I don't reek up the house after a long weekend trip.

I bet you had no trouble getting a campsite all to yourself.

Jack Tarlin
01-22-2010, 14:43
Some good advice so far, and while it's certainly possible to thru-hike on $2000.00 to $2500.00, it'd mean doing without a lot of things. You'd need to be really disciplined with your town stops meaning you'd have to skip some, and abbreviate others. There will be times when all your friends will be going to a hostel, motel, restaurant, movie, etc. and you will not be able to go along. They may make side trips off the Trail, say on July 4th or whatever. You won't be able to go. Or you will be with them in a town and everyone decides to stay an extra day because they're having a great time or need the rest or the weather is lousy or whatever.....and you'll have to move along.

In short, the worse thing about hiking on a really tight budget is that monetary concerns shouldn't dominate your trip, i.e. if you go into a general store on a sweltering summer day, you should be able to get that large ice cream cone without automatically figuring out what the cost will do to your daily budget. It's really no fun to be pinching pennies every day, and even less fun to be eating one dollar kiddie burgers while your friends are scarfing down 1/4 pounders.

I'd really try and bring along some extra money if possible.

And lastly, while they mean well, beware of folks who tell you how easy it is to hike on 2000 bucks but did it twenty-odd years ago.

Times change. Soda pop doesn't cost 25 cents anymore, pizza isn't a buck a slice, and you're gonna be hard pressed to find a 20-dollar motel.

The "dollar a mile" thing is no longer valid or doable, unless you want to have a very spartan journey.

Jeff
01-22-2010, 14:56
These days hikers really don't want to carry more than 3 or 4 days of food.

North out of N.Adams/Williamstown it is getting very common to stop in Bennington, Manchester and the Inn at the Long Trail/Rutland. That's 3 town stops in about 95 miles..... a budget buster for sure.

$1 per mile in Vermont.....pretty rare these days!!!!

jersey joe
01-22-2010, 14:59
If you spend most of your trip in the woods, 2k is easy!
If you spend most of your trip in the towns, 2k is hard!

Yahtzee
01-22-2010, 14:59
I think that $2500 is more than enough to thruhike. But as Jack just alluded what you will be giving up is the chance to stay with those you are hiking with. That is the really crappy thing about having to watch your cash. And people are very friendly out there, so you might see alot of offers to share for less than the rest or for free, and if you have any shame, that sucks, too. I ran into a few times where I miscalculated my ATM withdrawals and taking charity sucks.

ShelterLeopard
01-22-2010, 15:00
Even if you only spend an average amount of time in towns, 2,000 will be very hard.

Jester2000
01-22-2010, 15:15
:eek::eek::eek:

And my better half asks me to stop at the gym and shower and change there instead of heading straight home so I don't reek up the house after a long weekend trip.

I bet you had no trouble getting a campsite all to yourself.

Hahahahahahaha! Hmmm. I was alone most of that time. I just assumed the crowd was thinning out . . .

I normally shower any chance I get. I just didn't really get an opportunity between the Inn at Long Trail and Gorham. I'd like to think that being above treeline for a good chunk of that stretch allowed the wind to sort of disperse the stank. But I'm probably just lying to myself.

Johnny Appleseed
01-25-2010, 01:21
I hiked for around 2k or just under. Ate at restaurants all I could, and drank some. Never stayed at a hotel, but 4-6 hostels. I would carry around 1 week of food usually, yes it seems excessive in hindsight.

If you are impulsive heck frak no, not impulsive and tight-oh yeah. You will meet people that try to change this. Compromise, go to eat and drink w/ them, but camp out of town a small distance. Try to get some drinks before going to a bar. Watch what you buy. Some of the more healthy food is either really cheap or really expensive. Blend the food and try to get some cheap stuff, but don't deny cravings-compromise.

The problem w/ this advice is I do this in my life anyways. So keep that in mind, your habits will follow you.

Johnny Appleseed
01-25-2010, 01:23
People around me spent cash like it grew on trees, even those who voiced concern about maybe not having enough.