PDA

View Full Version : Myron Avery Quote

modiyooch
01-21-2010, 10:41
I was going thru my files, and I happened upon Myron Avery's quote. I had written this partial quote down in 1981 when I was 22. It meant something to me and I could identify with it. I now want to frame the quote or find it in plaque form and add it to my AT prints. Any suggestions where I can buy the print or plaque?

partial quote: " Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, it beckons not merely north and south but upward to the body, mind and soul of man." - Myron Avery, In the Maine Woods, 1934

Cookerhiker
01-21-2010, 12:25
How sophisticated is your computer and printer? Do you have a lot of font options? You can buy classy-looking paper from a specialty store or even Staples/Office Depot and type the quote yourself, perhaps leave room for a picture which you can paste on. Buy a nice frame and hang it.

My GF wanted the Desiderata framed on the wall so I did as described above using WordPerfect. I experimented with myrid font types, sizes, and colors. It looks pretty good, enough that visitors have commented on it. And I'm not a real power computer user.

weary
01-21-2010, 12:39
I was going thru my files, and I happened upon Myron Avery's quote. I had written this partial quote down in 1981 when I was 22. It meant something to me and I could identify with it. I now want to frame the quote or find it in plaque form and add it to my AT prints. Any suggestions where I can buy the print or plaque?

partial quote: " Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, it beckons not merely north and south but upward to the body, mind and soul of man." - Myron Avery, In the Maine Woods, 1934
The quote isn't from Myron Avery. He was quoting someone else. Unfortunately, I forget who. A Google search might disclose the name. ATC knows for sure.

Weary

weary
01-21-2010, 12:54
The quote isn't from Myron Avery. He was quoting someone else. Unfortunately, I forget who. A Google search might disclose the name. ATC knows for sure.

Weary
Harold Allen, an early trail planner and volunteer, first spoke the words. I think it was at a planning meeting he attended with Avery and Benton MacKaye in the 1930s. Both were active in the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club, the group that provided much of the leadership during the early days of the trail idea.

Weary

The Flatulator
01-21-2010, 14:31
Harold Allen is, indeed, the author of the quote.......

emerald
01-21-2010, 14:37
The quote isn't from Myron Avery.

Weary

Thanks, weary. The thread may have been designed to see who has been around long enough to be paying attention. Regardless, the quote is still a keeper. I hope AT hikers will remember it as long as there is an AT.

Blissful
01-21-2010, 15:21
Great quote

veteran
01-21-2010, 19:01
Question about the origin of the quote, origins of place names along the AT says that Avery wrote the quote in American Forests Magazine in 1934.

http://books.google.com/books?id=XRsC_EBRPEwC&pg=PA51&lpg=PA51&dq=%22harold+allen+plaque+md%22&source=bl&ots=BjyKAOdTHa&sig=xoIflXAnuvqcd0w_QJFhsM3bK9U&hl=en&ei=XdJYS-TcNIuj8AbeprjDAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAcQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22harold%20allen%20plaque%20md%22&f=false

WILLIAM HAYES
01-22-2010, 00:15
Here is the full quote
Remote for detachment
narrow for chosen company
winding for leisure
lonely for contemplation
the trail
leads not merely north and south
but upward to the body, mind and soul of man
by Harold Allen The Appalachian Trail Conference

I had the quote done in an acrylic stand with a green backgound and it is on my desk as I type this post
Hillbilly

WILLIAM HAYES
01-22-2010, 00:30
another quote I like from "Ripple" by the grateful dead
There is a road no simple highway
between the dawn and the dark of night
and if you go
no one may follow
that path is for your steps alone

weary
01-22-2010, 00:52
Question about the origin of the quote, origins of place names along the AT says that Avery wrote the quote in American Forests Magazine in 1934.

http://books.google.com/books?id=XRsC_EBRPEwC&pg=PA51&lpg=PA51&dq=%22harold+allen+plaque+md%22&source=bl&ots=BjyKAOdTHa&sig=xoIflXAnuvqcd0w_QJFhsM3bK9U&hl=en&ei=XdJYS-TcNIuj8AbeprjDAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAcQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22harold%20allen%20plaque%20md%22&f=false
Come on. We all know the media never gets anything right.

Avery was a lawyer on a mission. Why would facts matter?:)

Weary

modiyooch
01-22-2010, 09:07
Here is the full quote
Remote for detachment
narrow for chosen company
winding for leisure
lonely for contemplation
the trail
leads not merely north and south
but upward to the body, mind and soul of man
by Harold Allen The Appalachian Trail Conference

I had the quote done in an acrylic stand with a green backgound and it is on my desk as I type this post
Hillbilly
It appears that in 1982 I wrote the quote from Allen. When I googled for the author, I found a much longer quote from Avery, thus thinking that I had only written a partial. See below. If we could find a published print/plaque, then the proper author would be signed. If I make my own, I guess I'll attribute it to Allen.
Avery's quote:
"To those who would see the Maine wilderness, tramp day by day through a succession of ever delightful forest, past lake and stream, and over mountains, we would say: Follow the Appalachian Trail across Maine. It cannot be followed on horse or awheel. Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, it beckons not merely north and south but upward to the body, mind and soul of man." - Myron Avery, In the Maine Woods, 1934