PDA

View Full Version : March 9 depart - sunglasses?

Helios
01-21-2010, 10:45
Would it be prudent to bring a pair of cheap sunglasses when starting a thru on March 9th? With the lack of foliage, and the possibility of snow, I'm starting to consider bringing a pair. Anyone else considering or have considered the same?

Hooch
01-21-2010, 10:51
I usually hike with a pair of sunglasses on me. Don't always need them, but they come in handy once in a while. They're a cheap pair, so if I break 'em, no worries.

Tinker
01-21-2010, 10:59
I would, have, and do carry clip-ons for long hikes. Tired eyes can take a lot out of you.

Big Dawg
01-21-2010, 11:01
Would it be prudent to bring a pair of cheap sunglasses when starting a thru on March 9th? With the lack of foliage, and the possibility of snow, I'm starting to consider bringing a pair. Anyone else considering or have considered the same?

I've seen many thru's w/ cheap lightweight sunglasses. Like Hooch said, may not need them much, but nice to have when you do.

SGT Rock
01-21-2010, 11:02
I carried a pair on my hike, I spent more time trying to keep up with them than I did wearing them.

schnikel
01-21-2010, 11:19
I hiked out mid-March last year and brought mine. Didn't use them much, but nice to have when you want them.
And yea, cheap ones so if you lose em or break em its no biggie.
Schnikel

garlic08
01-21-2010, 11:25
I only wish I had them once, on a brilliant sunny day after some overnight snow, but overall I was glad I didn't have them. Usually the only time I get uncomfortable glare on a hike is in town, from cars and buildings.

seabrookhiker
01-21-2010, 11:34
I'm a fan of cheap sunglasses. There's even a song about them! My hubby bought me a three pack for Xmas and made me happy. :) Assuming they block the appropriate UV, they are a great way to prevent some long term eye problems, especially for those with light colored eyes.

I prefer the plastic ones, they tend to hold up better to life's little trials and tribulations. And being stuffed in a pack.

Tuney
01-21-2010, 11:40
My regular eye glasses are the self adjusting kind. I like them a lot. Which reminds me I should get my annual eye check, and a spare pare before I head to Maine.

Helios
01-21-2010, 11:55
I carried a pair on my hike, I spent more time trying to keep up with them than I did wearing them.

That's about what I would expect. Probably spend more time cleaning and trying not to break them than wearing them. I don't normally wear them anyway.

Thanks for all the input!!!!

Skyline
01-21-2010, 12:12
When the sun is bright and there's bright white snow on the ground, you will need sunglasses to save your eyes.

When you are pointed "eastward" and hiking directly into the morning sun, or pointed "westward" into the sun in the evening, you will want sunglasses.

Other than that, they'll likely be safely protected in some kind of cheap glasses case inside your pack.

Tuney
01-21-2010, 12:27
I'll probably keep my spare pair in the handy zippered pockets on the hip belt of my ULA Circuit.

mountain squid
01-21-2010, 12:37
Don't forget some sunscreen.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

seabrookhiker
01-21-2010, 13:51
*Definitely* sunscreen. I got a heck of a nice sunburn the last time I went through the Grayson Highlands, and I was wearing sunscreen! Without it you could have heard sizzling sounds.

Blissful
01-21-2010, 15:34
I never took sunglasses. A hat works fine.

SGT Rock
01-21-2010, 15:55
Sunscreen and lip balm were needed more than the glasses ever were. I had a hat with a bill and found it easier to just change head angle than to try and do the on/off with the sunglasses every time I changed ridge sides or entered/exited foliage.

Tuney
01-21-2010, 16:06
The only time I take my glasses off is when I'm going down a steep set of steps. The Bifocals play heck with your depth perception. That's one problem most of you younger folks don't have to deal with.

SGT Rock
01-21-2010, 16:07
The only time I take my glasses off is when I'm going down a steep set of steps. The Bifocals play heck with your depth perception. That's one problem most of you younger folks don't have to deal with.

I haven't experienced that with my lenses yet.:cool:

bigcranky
01-21-2010, 16:56
I wear sunglasses all the time in the "real" world, so I took them hiking, too. There I discovered that the only place I wore them was in town -- the glare from the roads was a problem, but I didn't have that in the woods. So I stopped carrying them except in winter when I expect snow on the ground. I wear a hat with a nice brim.

Tagless
01-21-2010, 17:05

Same here.

I finally lost my cheap sunglasses and never bothered to replace them. A ball cap generally provided enough sun protection.

leaftye
01-21-2010, 17:12
I think I'll get myself a set of transitions glasses. I wear eyeglasses anyway, so it shouldn't add any weight while protecting my eyes. I've had my eyes sunburned before. It sucks.

simon
01-21-2010, 20:13
I like to wear sunglasses. Maybe it's just me but i think it keeps bugs/gnats out of my eyes.

Lone Wolf
01-21-2010, 21:48
if you think you'll need them, take them. otherwise there will be 500 posts for and against. you'll figure it out. sometimes these websites suck for AT stuff

Helios
01-22-2010, 06:45
if you think you'll need them, take them. otherwise there will be 500 posts for and against. you'll figure it out. sometimes these websites suck for AT stuff

Yes, but it is interesting to hear other folks opinions. It wouldn't have asked the question if I weren't interested. I could have pm'd Sgt Rock for a single answer. The group responses bring up a myriad of thoughts that I find valuable. Even for something as simple as sunglasses.

Semper Fi!

NashvilleBiscuit
01-22-2010, 13:09
I started with a pair mailed them home on day 3. Then bought a pair in Franklin and ended up breaking them in my pack. Bought another cheap pair and they basically stayed in my pack til Front Royal. Really the only time I wore the glasses was when I was in a town and wasnt on the trail. Even without the leaves the trees are thick enough that I never needed glasses on the trail. When I get healed up and try again in 2011 I will not be carrying a pair. The bill on my hat does a good enough job throw a hand up for a second if you need a little extra protection.