PDA

View Full Version : treking poles on air planes??

climber2377
01-21-2010, 11:48
i am planning to bring mine along but wonder how air ports will handle them. would it be better to ship them to the hostel i am going to be starting out at? anyone have to pay for extra items when bringing treking poles?

Hooch
01-21-2010, 11:55
You're better off shipping your pack and poles to the hostel, IMO. Less to ahve to deal with on the plane. Just take a small carry on if you have to.

makoboy
01-21-2010, 11:56
Ive checked poles, crampons and ice axes in the past with zero issues. I suspect they would cause problems in a carry-on.

climber2377
01-21-2010, 12:02
i ll give a call to delta or whoever i m flying with, and see. guess thats my best bet. however i am thinking shipping my whole pack might be a great idea too. i ll have to check with fed ex and the post office and see what they charge for that too thanks for the ideas.

jesse
01-21-2010, 12:05
You will definently have to check them.

Spokes
01-21-2010, 12:25
This is from the TSA webpage. Just click on the "Sporting Good" link:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#5

climber2377
01-21-2010, 12:53
thanks for the info

lazy river road
01-21-2010, 12:57
you might be able to pull off checking them if you take off the sharp pointy tips...but now sure just an ideah. I checked mine when I went to yellow stone this summer with various other hikeing equipment and every thing was fine

Frisky
01-21-2010, 13:53
What about the other items that you won't be allowed to take on board? Fuel canisters (even empty they have fuel residue that sniffers pick up and disallow), knife, etc. I went to the thrift store and purchased an old hardshell suitcase thay my pack will fit in. I will send it as luggage and dispose of on arrival. Now I don't have to worry about my pack straps catching on conveyor belts, or my tent poles and hiking poles being damaged by luggage handlers. I hit the trail Mar. 31. See ya there.

Rocketman
01-21-2010, 13:59
Last summer, I flew twice between the Midwest and Baltimore (there and back).

On the trip to Baltimore, I packaged my hiking sticks in a cardboard container used to ship fishing poles. I labeled it "Hiking Poles", "Walking Aids". I did remove the sharp tips and the basket as well. The sharp tips were in my checked backpack.

No problem.

On the return home trip, I was unable to locate cardboard to construct a carry-on package like on the outbound trip. I Removed the pointy ends and baskets as before, and broke down the 3 sections of the poles because of the short length of the backpack. I made covers for the ends of the poles for protection during flight. I packed everything into the backpack.

No problem.

I had a talk with a TSA staff person about this, and got a very satisfying answer from them. I later posted that answer here in Aug or Sept of 2009.

I have forgotten the answer, but you can either manage to go through the effort to talk to a TSA security person (prefereably at an airport in person), or you can try to look up what I and others said last year, and the year before, and the year before.

Wrangler88
01-21-2010, 14:05
When I flew from Bangor to Texas I had my hiking poles, stove, and tent stakes in my backpack. I talked to someone with the airline and they said I'd have to throw my stove away if I'd ever used it. I just left everything in my backpack. Walked through just fine.

Well except they stopped my food bag and asked about a sausage.

garlic08
01-21-2010, 17:44
On my flight into Atlanta from Denver, I had no problems carrying on my poles. I talked to TSA before getting into the security line, ready to go back and check them if there was a problem, but they assured me it they let walking poles on all the time.

On my flight from Boston back to Denver, TSA made me check them and they were a little nasty about it, like how could I even consider that? When I was in line boarding the plane, two people ahead of me had daypacks with trekking poles lashed on. Go figure.

It all depends on the TSA agent.

Spokes
01-21-2010, 17:58
What about the other items that you won't be allowed to take on board? Fuel canisters (even empty they have fuel residue that sniffers pick up and disallow), knife, etc. I went to the thrift store and purchased an old hardshell suitcase thay my pack will fit in. I will send it as luggage and dispose of on arrival. Now I don't have to worry about my pack straps catching on conveyor belts, or my tent poles and hiking poles being damaged by luggage handlers. I hit the trail Mar. 31. See ya there.

Dude, it's all right here:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm#5

Rocketman
01-21-2010, 22:12
Dude, it's all right here:

You must be referring to an assumed logical association between ski poles and hiking poles.

IF( Ski poles checked=OK ) THEN( Hiking poles checked =OK )

Makes sense. Missed it on the first reading.

JokerJersey
01-22-2010, 01:38
I'm just wondering how long it is going to be before you have to fly completely naked after a cavity search so you'll be within "regulations". This stuff is starting to get out of hand...

Last time I took a flight from Philly to Houston to go hiking with an old military friend I got hassled because I had some soap, shampoo, and a few other toiletries in "unmarked" bottles.

"Yes sir, I'm going to blow up this plane with my Suave."

Why should a hiking pole be considered any different than a cane?

Blissful
01-26-2010, 20:14
I flew with my poles checked in a duffel bag this past summer. No problem.