PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good plan

YoungMoose
01-21-2010, 20:44
This is my plan for thru-hiking the Long Trail. I am going to be doing it around SCA this summer. Post comments if you think i should stop somewhere other then the spots i have listed.

Bearpaw
01-21-2010, 20:50
This is my plan for thru-hiking the Long Trail. I am going to be doing it around SCA this summer. Post comments if you think i should stop somewhere other then the spots i have listed.

Looks like a well-reasoned, conservative pace that will allow you to really enjoy the LT. Good on ya.

Once you're out there, you may well decide to speed up a bit, and your schedule will allow for that if you like.

Have fun.

YoungMoose
01-21-2010, 20:53
thats what i figured. I know its above the average time but i ahve 2 1/2 months off for summer so i can take even longer then that. But i dont want to.

Deadeye
01-21-2010, 22:30
When you get to Jonesville, are you hitching to Richmond? or are you hitching the 3 miles of road-walk into Jonesville? Just an FYI, Jonesville has a Post Office... and nothing more. You can resupply there only by mail drop. A hitch into Richmond will get you to a grocery store.

YoungMoose
01-21-2010, 22:46
Im hitching the 3 miles to the post office. then im going to walk to the trail head on the other side of the river.

Hobbot
01-22-2010, 00:24
Overall looks good to me. Seems like reasonable mileage and will give you plenty of opportunities to enjoy the sites. Explore some of the side trails.

Suggestions based on my trip; other people will obviously disagree...

- Stop at Clarendon instead of Gov Clement. The shelter itself could use a little repair, but it had nice open grass and is maintained with flowers and everything. At least when I was there (Fall, 2008). Gov Clement seemed to me like a leaky basement (cold stone), but that could have also been since it was pouring as I passed through that section. Cooper Lodge had missing windows and the fog and clouds rolled right into the shelter all night. If it was clear, I am sure it would have had a really nice view.

- If the cost is not an issue, I recommend stopping at the Inn at the Long Trail on Rt 4 for a night. I believe you can have a package sent there and it is a great place to chill for awhile. That was my first day off the trail since starting and it felt so good to get a shower and just relax in the bar the rest of the day with some of the other AT Thruhikers and LT E2Eers that I had been hiking with.

- I am not sure what days Taylor and Taft lodge would fall on your trip. I hit that area on a weekend, and it was crowded. Tenting isn't allowed either, so everyone was in the shelter. At least they are large shelters.

Mags
01-22-2010, 01:48
Wow...pretty cool jaunt for your age. I was washing dishes at 15.

A month or so on the LT sounds much more fun.

Have a blast! :)

Lido
01-22-2010, 09:45
Couple things... Gov Clement, was over run by hard partying locals, supposedly that was taken care of by blocking an access rd. There is a place called the 'secret shelter' thats on prvt property right before it, check it out . Also I think Shooting Star has been torn down.
Do yourself a favor and get the end-to-enders guide, map and trail guide from the GMC.
I'm going to do it myself this summer, pretty much at your pace (I'm 57). Don't go before July, unless you like blackflys.
One more thing. If moneys not a problem, spend the $5 and stay at Skyline Lodge. It's a really cool cabin, with a great view and an unbelievable sunrise!
I hope I see you on the trail
-Broken Knee

YoungMoose
01-22-2010, 09:51
IM going to be getting the guide in about a week. I am going to be near a REI and i have a giftcard for there. So i will wait and when i get htat i will probably redoing. things.

Toolshed
01-22-2010, 09:53
I'd wouldn't even try to do this without a pair of TNF Meridian Pants..... Better pick some up at REI..... :banana:banana:banana

YoungMoose
01-22-2010, 09:58
I'd wouldn't even try to do this without a pair of TNF Meridian Pants..... Better pick some up at REI..... :banana:banana:banana
What color are they i wonder?:datz:datz

Toolshed
01-22-2010, 10:06
Not sure, but I think they had a 32" inseam....:dance:dance

warraghiyagey
01-22-2010, 10:07
When you get to Jonesville, are you hitching to Richmond? or are you hitching the 3 miles of road-walk into Jonesville? Just an FYI, Jonesville has a Post Office... and nothing more. You can resupply there only by mail drop. A hitch into Richmond will get you to a grocery store.
This is a good question. . . sending a maildrop to Jonesville is a good idea but I have to say Richmond is about the nicest little town I've seen and doesn't get much mention, very pretty, extremely friendly people. . . quite a few folks offering to let us stay at their place for the night, a really good restaurant and a nice store for re-supply if you don't want to bother with the Jonesville P.O.
Also about the easiest hitch I've ever seen. . . .
Have a great hike Young Moose. . . .

Toolshed
01-22-2010, 10:36
This is a good question. . . sending a maildrop to Jonesville is a good idea but I have to say Richmond is about the nicest little town I've seen and doesn't get much mention, very pretty, extremely friendly people. . . quite a few folks offering to let us stay at their place for the night, a really good restaurant and a nice store for re-supply if you don't want to bother with the Jonesville P.O.
Also about the easiest hitch I've ever seen. . . .
Have a great hike Young Moose. . . .
Oh Great warrghhhryryhhyageewyuey, Take the high road on this thread......:datz:datz:datz

Hiker X
01-22-2010, 11:07
I'll put in another vote for a night at the Inn at Long Trail. Hot shower, clean sheets, friendly folks. I tend to like the stop for reasons that are not readily accessible to you, but the food's good too.

Just make sure you don't go straight north in 2013. You'll want to take a right turn out of there then.

lazy river road
01-22-2010, 12:21
Hey, Youngmoose, that looks like a great hike. You have a longer period of time to hike then me so your pace is a bit slower but then again I guess you'll be able to enjoy it for longer. But I like where you have some of your resupply's. I may have to add some in to try and lighten my load inbetween resupply's. I plan on hitching into Jonesville as my first nothern resupply spot. I dont want to rely on the P.O. being open, as well as Ive heard all these nothern VT towns are really cool to go visit. I would also suggest stopping at the LT Inn, ive heard its a great place to stop for a night. Also once you get the E2E Thru Hikers manuel and the LT guide book, it has soome good suggestions on places stops. I would also suggest the water prof map. Ive included my schudgle as well (if you wana compare but I am going SOBO so the times may be off), when do you plan on leaving, im heading out to the trail in june. Mabey we will cross paths. Happy hikeing,

YoungMoose
01-22-2010, 15:28
I am going to put the long trail in at my stops. Also i would rather carry more stuff then having to get off the trail and hitch into town. So i dont really mind the extra weight. I was going to try to stay at skyline but it doesnt really work out right. So i am almost posotive that staying there is out of the question. Thanks for letting me know about shooting star.

lazy river road
01-22-2010, 16:50
Youngmoose what time of year you going?

YoungMoose
01-22-2010, 17:53
Youngmoose what time of year you going? Well i get out of school on june 27th so i will probably go the 30th or july first. I still dont know when i go to SCA. I will learn around march. I am hoping that it would be in august so i can do it straight through. But if not i will do as much as i can before SCA then when i get back i finish where i left off.

lazy river road
01-22-2010, 18:10
Very Nice, Im planning a June 25-28 leave date, SOBO, hopefully we will cross paths, happy hikeing

YoungMoose
01-22-2010, 18:20
Would be cool to see you on the trail

Yahtzee
01-22-2010, 18:30
A few thoughts:

I think your mileage up to Killington is way low. I mean seriously low. The bugs will be out strong in June/early July. You will not want to spend the day sitting around, taking long breaks. You will want to move, if only to get away from the bugs.

Alpine slide at Stowe. 'Nuf said.

Johnson is a great town. Has a grocery store. Cool people.

I'd check and see if the Inn at LT still accepts packages. You could save yourself a trip to the Killington P.O. by having a package shipped here.

I don't really understand your Manchester Ctr. plan. Are you stashing your stuff before you go into Manchester and staying there overnight? If so, why take that risk with your gear? Second, the 6.7 into Manchester Ctr. should take you 4 hours tops. Which means, if you only do the 1.8 out, you will have almost two days off. Another option would be to just head up to the top of Bromely out of Manchester Center.

I notice alot of shelters stops. I get that alot of people dig them. I dig them so I can hang out for other hikers. But Vermont has great spots to camp away from shelters. Baker Peak comes to mind.

Clarendon Gorge is an amazing spot. For swimming and camping. Might wanna consider staying there. Or at least spending better part of the day there.

Your mileage for the northern section is fantastic. Somedays 8 miles is all you will want to do. But man is it glorious.

Don't rush to get to the summit of Camel's Hump. Once you are out in the open, the view just south of the summit rivals any on the A.T., imo. The summit view is great, too, but there is something mystical about the view into the forest just south of the Hump.

Good on you if you plan to stay on top of Jay Peak. A truly fantastic spot to camp.

Hope some of this was helpful.

YoungMoose
01-22-2010, 18:46
A few thoughts:

I think your mileage up to Killington is way low. I mean seriously low. The bugs will be out strong in June/early July. You will not want to spend the day sitting around, taking long breaks. You will want to move, if only to get away from the bugs.

Alpine slide at Stowe. 'Nuf said.

Johnson is a great town. Has a grocery store. Cool people.

I'd check and see if the Inn at LT still accepts packages. You could save yourself a trip to the Killington P.O. by having a package shipped here.

I don't really understand your Manchester Ctr. plan. Are you stashing your stuff before you go into Manchester and staying there overnight? If so, why take that risk with your gear? Second, the 6.7 into Manchester Ctr. should take you 4 hours tops. Which means, if you only do the 1.8 out, you will have almost two days off. Another option would be to just head up to the top of Bromely out of Manchester Center.

I notice alot of shelters stops. I get that alot of people dig them. I dig them so I can hang out for other hikers. But Vermont has great spots to camp away from shelters. Baker Peak comes to mind.

Clarendon Gorge is an amazing spot. For swimming and camping. Might wanna consider staying there. Or at least spending better part of the day there.

Your mileage for the northern section is fantastic. Somedays 8 miles is all you will want to do. But man is it glorious.

Don't rush to get to the summit of Camel's Hump. Once you are out in the open, the view just south of the summit rivals any on the A.T., imo. The summit view is great, too, but there is something mystical about the view into the forest just south of the Hump.

Good on you if you plan to stay on top of Jay Peak. A truly fantastic spot to camp.

Hope some of this was helpful.
I will probably combine somedays that took 2 into one. But for now im not changing the milage. If i get into great shape first then i will also consider it. But at the same time im in no rush. The manchester idea is that right off the LT there is a side trail to a parkinglot east of manchester. I would plan to stash my stuff away from the parking lot and then re-supply and get my stuff the go to the top of prospect rock i think it is. I also got a pm about a hostel in manchester i am also considering that. I am still thinking about the killington since you brought it up. I think that if the inn still takes it ill just send a package there.

Anyone have any thoughts about this. Since i am going to be 16 when i attempt it do you think any hostels or other places would not let me stay since im young.

NorthCountryWoods
01-22-2010, 22:20
Last I heard the Inn at the LT is still accepting packages for thru hikers.

Where are you planning on resupplying in Eden? The post office is difficult to get to from the the trail and there is one store that you really don't want to resupply at. BTW, stay out of the VAG mine area!

I would load up in Johnson for the last run to Journeys end.

Good luck.

Deadeye
01-22-2010, 22:39
NCWoods is right - you won't find much in Eden. If you can't make the haul from Johnson to the border, Montgomery Ctr is a better choice.

Penne
01-23-2010, 09:25
Also I think Shooting Star has been torn down.

In November I hiked south from the Canada for a few days. I spent my first night on the trail at Shooting Star. It's a nice shelter. The basic three walled shelter. There are some other nice shelters in the northern section. Hazen's Notch Camp, Tillotson Camp has a nice view, Spruce Ledge Camp has a wonderful ledge and view of a pond, and Corliss Camp is in a nice spot. "Camps" on the LT are 4 walls, usually have bunks, table, windows, doors. Here's a good link for most of the shelters http://www.downthetrail.com/the-long-trail/shelters/

YoungMoose
01-23-2010, 20:43
I just finished editing some of the plans. I think this plan is better.

RollingStone
01-25-2010, 16:34
IM going to be getting the guide in about a week. I am going to be near a REI and i have a giftcard for there. So i will wait and when i get htat i will probably redoing. things.

www.longtrailhiking.info

Most of the End to End guide is online for free. What is not on there will be shortly. The site is down today for about another 4 hours, but will be back up.

In Killington I would do you mail drop at the outfitter which is closer than the PO.

Between Lost Pond and Gov Clement - the ground is flat. My 13 year old cruise through this - Between Killington and Rt 73, the ground is flat, If you're not to heavy, you could the majority fit in one day. 18 miles I think between Rt4 and the shelter.

Good luck!

RollingStone
01-25-2010, 16:39
I will probably combine somedays that took 2 into one. But for now im not changing the milage. If i get into great shape first then i will also consider it. But at the same time im in no rush. The manchester idea is that right off the LT there is a side trail to a parkinglot east of manchester. I would plan to stash my stuff away from the parking lot and then re-supply and get my stuff the go to the top of prospect rock i think it is. I also got a pm about a hostel in manchester i am also considering that. I am still thinking about the killington since you brought it up. I think that if the inn still takes it ill just send a package there.

Anyone have any thoughts about this. Since i am going to be 16 when i attempt it do you think any hostels or other places would not let me stay since im young.

My daughter was 15 last summer. No issues staying anywhere. For Manchester Center, forget about Prospect Rock. Just go straight to the highway and start walking towards Manchester. Guarantee you'll be picked up within 5 minutes. I used to spend half a day there sometimes just shuttling hikers back and forth. People around Manchester are super used to hikers and it's easy to get a ride.

Take your pack with you, drop it in the doorway of EMS or the Mountain Goat then do your thing. When you're ready to leave you should be able to catch a ride back, and Bromley Shelter is 1.8 miles in from the highway. Easily the nicest shelter in the southern 100 or camp on top of Bromley at the Ski Hut. Just make sure you take water with you as it's 4.5 miles down to Mad Tom Notch with no water in between.

Bleemus
03-14-2010, 16:06
I agree with the comments on Prospect Rock. The side trail from the Rock into town is steep and the last thing you want to do is stuff yourself with food and have to climb it at the end of the day.

After seeing the lovely view from Prospect Rock continue on to Rte. 11/30 and get a ride into town. A ride back after resupply and ice cream is easy to get and it is only 1.8 miles into Bromley Shelter.

Have fun!

YoungMoose
03-15-2010, 19:18
thanks. im still surprised people are reading this. lol

scottdennis
03-15-2010, 19:42
Hey man, GREAT JOB! I didn't catch your age until I read Mags response. Congrats! You've done a better job than what the majority of adults can do.

Keep up the great work!

Mags
03-15-2010, 20:05
Re: Camels Hump

Gotta say, can't help but agree with the view from the top.

The LT was my first long hike, and I remember the day on Camels Hump. Could see the Whites to the East, Lake Champlain to the West, south to where I've been and north into Canada.

Awesome view on an awesome day!

Little piece o' trivia..Camels Hump is on the VT quarter:
http://www.coinfacts.com/quarter_dollars/50_states_quarters/vermont.htm

(Ignore the spam, just close the box that appears)

YoungMoose
03-19-2010, 12:38
After recieving a email from askus and his friends Rough and Tuble i have updated my plans based on what they were saying. Heres my new plans.

oruoja
03-19-2010, 17:57
The LT is a great hike and by budgeting the extra time you will be able to spend time at some nice spots or wit out really bad weather if necessary. I have thru hiked twice and sectioned the LT three times, so here's my two cents. Hitch into Manchester Ctr on Rte 11, rides are easy on that road. I have gone down and up Rootville Rd from Prospect Rock, but you can in a day go from Stratton Pond to Bromley Shelter with a town stop. From Lost Pond it's an easy day to Greenwall without staying the night at Rock Pond. The pond is nice, but this summer both Little Rock Pond and Lula Tye shelters are being removed being replaced by a single new shelter. I have always stopped for a break and swim here as usually it gets pretty crowded for camping being so near FS Road 10. Once you get to Rte 103 at Clarendon Gorge I would recommend the .5 mile roadwalk west to the Whistlestop Diner which reopened with new owners last season. After eating here you will really appreciate the proximity to Clarendon Shelter which also has good water and nice camping. I would avoid Clement and Cooper. I've stayed at both, but would rather put in a long day to either get to Rte 4 or just stop short for the night at Scott shelter and then take care of resupply the next morning. The Long Trail Inn if I remember accepts parcels only by UPS/Fed Ex, not direct US mail. The Killington PO is 1.4 miles east of here and there is a good deli right next door as well. Consider skipping Boyce and going to Skyline shelter at Skylight Pond as it's much nicer and only a few more miles. Hitching into Waitsfield is OK, but I would not load up here as from here to Jonesville you will have some rough and steep trail sections. I have always resupplied in Jonesville (PO) and/or gone into Richmond. Richmond is a nice small town and there is a brand new supermarket which will open shortly right at the railroad crossing just down the hill from Rte 2 at the traffic light. The post office for Richmond is also here just a few hundred feet south. I would skip Stowe unless you have a compelling reason to go there. I have gone there twice, but it for me was a hard hitch. Rte 15 and the trip into Johnson is only another day and a half north. Johnson would be the best resupply before finishing at the border. The supermarket and PO are next to each other and there are a few other places to get a good meal as well. A final bit of advice is to not forget that should you want to get off trail lodging for whatever reason, Vermont is pretty expensive. Barring injury or a real nasty stretch of weather getting in and of towns the same day is probably the best option from my experience. One place that I did stay at last year, Green Mountain House Hiker Hostel, in Manchester was very nice, but you'll have to call ahead. Stop in at the EMS in town and they have the number to call to see if there is space. It's not far from town, but the owner makes trips to pick up hikers in town and the next morning shuttles you to the trailhead. I assume he will be open this season, but am not certain as situations can and do change year to year.

Jeff
03-19-2010, 21:27
One place that I did stay at last year, Green Mountain House Hiker Hostel, in Manchester was very nice, but you'll have to call ahead. Stop in at the EMS in town and they have the number to call to see if there is space. It's not far from town, but the owner makes trips to pick up hikers in town and the next morning shuttles you to the trailhead. I assume he will be open this season, but am not certain as situations can and do change year to year.

Thanks for the kind words. Indeed, we will be open this year from the 4th of July thru Labor Day. If you have a cell phone best to call a couple of days in advance. We fill up fast during the AT thruhiker season.

YoungMoose
03-20-2010, 12:11
I am planning on just re-supplying and in manchester and push forward. im not planning on spending a night there. but if the weather is crappy when i get there i will definetly consider it.

Comet Omega
05-07-2010, 17:21
Lucky Devil! Doing a week in September on the LT with some friends. Grew up in your neck of the woods, Cortlandt Manor. Walter Panas grad. Two of the other guys from Peekskill originally too. Just got the map and End to Enders Guide. Really good info and the Maps chart on the top with elevations is a good visual. Have a great hike!