PDA

View Full Version : North Carolina

Panchito
01-21-2010, 21:21
Does anyone know how far it is from the AT to the outerbanks? I am vacationing there this May and would like to log a couple days on the trail while I'm there. Thanks
P

Panchito
01-21-2010, 21:22
Just looked at a map. Looks like about 3 hours?

white_russian
01-21-2010, 21:26
Just looked at a map. Looks like about 3 hours?
Try 8ish hours.

bigcranky
01-21-2010, 21:28
Ay yi, no. The straightest shot would be Nag's Head to Roan Mountain, which is about 8 hours according to Google Maps.

dmax
01-21-2010, 21:30
Its 8 hours to Erwin. If you go through Boone it will take you about 7 1/2 to get to Wautaga Lake and the AT.

Tennessee Viking
01-21-2010, 21:37
Long drive. 8 hrs at least to the closest AT trail heads.

Since you are at the Outer Banks you can hike the MST and Neusiok Trail. Those are your closest long distance trails. And there are some other trails in the Croatan.

modiyooch
01-21-2010, 21:39
i would think va would be closer

Chaco Taco
01-21-2010, 22:10
i would think va would be closer

8 hours to Damascus, dad drove it the past 2 years. Best bet, Hot Springs

modiyooch
01-21-2010, 22:16
8 hours to Damascus, dad drove it the past 2 years. Best bet, Hot Springs
Front Royal VA 5 hrs 41 min from Manteo

Hikerhead
01-21-2010, 22:23
5 hours to Afton Mtn Va.

sbennett
01-21-2010, 23:48
forget two days in a car and just enjoy the beach

scope
01-21-2010, 23:52
Does anyone know how far it is from the AT to the outerbanks? I am vacationing there this May and would like to log a couple days on the trail while I'm there. Thanks
P

Oh, about a country mile.... or so... ;)

Bearpaw
01-22-2010, 00:31
6.5-7 hours from Jacksonville. I drove that many times while in the Marine Corps. When you factor in 1.5-2 hours just for the ferry from OBX, 8 hours is optimistic.

modiyooch
01-22-2010, 09:12
nc is a wide state. he would hit the trail easier going northwest to wanyesboro, VA (5 hrs) then western nc. for example, when we go to the beach, we travel 4 hours southeast to SC instead of due east to nc.

Panchito
01-22-2010, 09:32

Since you are at the Outer Banks you can hike the MST and Neusiok Trail. Those are your closest long distance trails. And there are some other trails in the Croatan.

Thanks for the beta. 8 or 5 hours is a bit much. Might check these trails out.

sherrill
01-22-2010, 09:36
8 hours to a spot on the AT is optimistic at best.

It's not just straight distance, you have to remember that the islands only have 3 ways to get back on the mainland, so you'll be driving quite a bit North or South to either catch a ferry or a bridge. Forget going south if you're in a hurry, you have to catch the Hatteras ferry to Ocracoke, then it's a 2hr 45min ride to either Swan Quarter or Cedar island, neither of which have speedy routes west. That's if you catch the ferry at the optimal time. Otherwise, you wait, and the ferries have scaled back their departures due to budget cuts.

64 out of Manteo is now 4 lanes most of the way into Raleigh, from there its about 4 hours to Hot Springs, or you could shoot north into VA, but it's still a long way.

How do I know? I have a house in Barnardsville (near Hot Springs), and on Ocracoke. I do this trip 4 times a year.

My suggestion? Enjoy the beach, and plan another trip to the mountains. You'll be too tired to do both.

modiyooch
01-22-2010, 09:55
yes, you could start the Mt to Sea trail. It will take you to the AT. Much longer than 8 hours, though.,

Bearpaw
01-22-2010, 10:14

Since you are at the Outer Banks you can hike the MST and Neusiok Trail. Those are your closest long distance trails. And there are some other trails in the Croatan {NF}.

The Neusiok Trail is very nice if you go before the spring foliage and brush start popping up. I posted this old trip report (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41341&highlight=Neusiok) so folks could appreciate what a nice hike it really is.

dmax
01-22-2010, 10:15
Now you all have me wanting to go! I've been the last two July's. Its the only time I get off from work. The fishing isn't the best at that time. But its the only time I can go...I spent the night daydreaming of hiking past the fence up at Corrolla. I can't wait for July!

Panchito
01-22-2010, 10:15
8 hours to a spot on the AT is optimistic at best.

It's not just straight distance, you have to remember that the islands only have 3 ways to get back on the mainland, so you'll be driving quite a bit North or South to either catch a ferry or a bridge. Forget going south if you're in a hurry, you have to catch the Hatteras ferry to Ocracoke, then it's a 2hr 45min ride to either Swan Quarter or Cedar island, neither of which have speedy routes west. That's if you catch the ferry at the optimal time. Otherwise, you wait, and the ferries have scaled back their departures due to budget cuts.

64 out of Manteo is now 4 lanes most of the way into Raleigh, from there its about 4 hours to Hot Springs, or you could shoot north into VA, but it's still a long way.

How do I know? I have a house in Barnardsville (near Hot Springs), and on Ocracoke. I do this trip 4 times a year.

My suggestion? Enjoy the beach, and plan another trip to the mountains. You'll be too tired to do both.
Thats kinda what I was thinking. Would like to just do an overnight hike on a trail without driving too far is all looks like the Neusiok would be the best bet.

Panchito
01-22-2010, 10:16
Thanks looks good

littlewalnut
01-22-2010, 10:38
P

its about 8 to 9 hours of driving, and hopfuly no trafic

squirrel bait
01-22-2010, 11:02
While your here try the Nags Head Woods Trail. It's located on Ocean Acres ave, turn at (Milepost 10) Pigmans BBQ. Nice trail and if you take all the loops you'll get to experience walking up a good size sand dune and a very diverse environment compared to the rest of the OBX. Great way to spend 3 to 4 hours (or longer) easy. The beginning of the MST east to west is strictly a beach walk though you do start on the highest sand dune (try climbing it) on the east coast. There are also hiking trails at Alligator Wildlife Refuge, just across the hwy 64 bridge west of Manteo, you could enjoy hiking during the cool mornings and then the beach in the afternoon. So theres two possibilities and you never left Dare Co.:welcome

sherrill
01-22-2010, 12:04
There are also hiking trails at Alligator Wildlife Refuge, just across the hwy 64 bridge west of Manteo, you could enjoy hiking during the cool mornings and then the beach in the afternoon.

You may already know this, don't forget the bug spray, unless you're a masochist. :D

dmax
01-22-2010, 12:09
The wife and I know were getting close when we start seeing the billboards "I know where I got my crabs". Those just crack me up everytime I see them.

Panchito
01-22-2010, 12:13
The wife and I know were getting close when we start seeing the billboards "I know where I got my crabs". Those just crack me up everytime I see them.

".......at dirty dick's" Me too. We were down there in 2001 as well

squirrel bait
01-22-2010, 13:35
Dirty Dick's relocated from it's old location to the site of the former Slammin Sammys. It's just down the street (other side) from the old location.

Walessp
01-23-2010, 02:11
I've hiked the Neusiok Trail and found it to be rather swampy, featureless, and buggy in the spring, but it does have 2 shelters! That's 50% of the shelters on the 1000 miles or so of the MST!

Scott

Grits
01-23-2010, 09:42
It takes 3 months and about 950 miles on the Mountains to Sea Trail :welcome

Blissful
01-23-2010, 10:11
Agree= Va a lot closer then NC from the Outer Banks. Takes us 4 1/2 hours and we live by SNP. Good roads.
This is to Kill Devil Hills near the bridge. The farther down you are on the coast, the longer it will take.