PDA

View Full Version : Trail Days 2010

Stir Fry
01-22-2010, 22:51
How safe it your gear when you are away from your tent during trail days? Or do you need to pack up and take it with ou each day.

Blissful
01-22-2010, 22:55
I would. Unless you are at a place where it can be locked up like in a friend's car or where someone can keep an eye on it for you.

Jester2000
01-22-2010, 23:27
You can do a search on whiteblaze for "pack" and "theft" or stolen pack or trail days and theft or any number of combinations. You'll find plenty of information and anecdotes.

RedneckRye
01-22-2010, 23:54
Been there 10 of the last 12 years and have never had a problem.
I've read online afterwards about "huge number of thefts", etc. But I can't think of anyone I've actually met that has been robbed.

Do I leave my wallet, camera, cash, etc in the tent? Nope.
Does theft happen? Yep.

Be smart but not panicked and you will be fine.

Maybe explode your pack inside of your tent so that if someone wants to take your stuff they will need to repack it or sort thru all of your dirty clothes first.

DrRichardCranium
01-23-2010, 01:51
I've always said someone could make some easy money by providing storage space for Traildays participants for a modest fee.

Nean
01-23-2010, 13:15
Was hanging at Mojos this morning and rumor has it that the town has given quite a bit of the toxic TD CG to the county for some new ballfields.

Local hikers were debating new alternatives and wondering why, along with where hikers would stay this year. Moving TD to Hot Springs was LWs suggestion and it does have it merits. The only thing I dislike about Hot Springs is they charge hikers extra to drink at the local pub(s?)!:mad:

Lone Wolf
01-23-2010, 13:35
Was hanging at Mojos this morning and rumor has it that the town has given quite a bit of the toxic TD CG to the county for some new ballfields.

Local hikers were debating new alternatives and wondering why, along with where hikers would stay this year. Moving TD to Hot Springs was LWs suggestion and it does have it merits. The only thing I dislike about Hot Springs is they charge hikers extra to drink at the local pub(s?)!:mad:

i concur with nean

KTR
01-23-2010, 14:17
Ya know... with the feel, the people, the good "vibe" you get at a hiking gathering, such as T.Days... one get an easy sense of trust for thier fellow hiker. Unfortunately, there def are some bad apples.

I have talked with a small handfull of fellow hikers that have been on the negative end of trail theft. And, I myself have had $ and a headlamp swiped from a hiker who I was volunteering with. This hiker went on to take over $2,000 from a church in VA. I suspect he we will never surface again or have his ass kicked in.

So yes, I would take a few minutes at T.Days to secure my items and not leave any gear around for the small number of clepto's that do exist at T.days..

Id sure like to catch one in action... best to you

modiyooch
01-23-2010, 14:28

Local hikers were debating new alternatives and wondering why, along with where hikers would stay this year. Moving TD to Hot Springs was LWs suggestion and it does have it merits. :mad:
for some reason, I don't follow what you are saying. What exactly are you saying?

Belew
01-23-2010, 15:51
for some reason, I don't follow what you are saying. What exactly are you saying?

Nean was passing time and the coffee house in Damascus. The town of Damascus may or may not have decided to build baseball fields on the same land that the trail daze campground is on. If they build baseball fields the hikers will need different land to camp on during trail daze because the old campground will be baseball fields. Lone Wolf sugested moving trail daze to Hot Springs and Nean thinks that may be a good thing.

I hope this helps.

Lone Wolf
01-23-2010, 15:55
Nean was passing time and the coffee house in Damascus. The town of Damascus may or may not have decided to build baseball fields on the same land that the trail daze campground is on. If they build baseball fields the hikers will need different land to camp on during trail daze because the old campground will be baseball fields. Lone Wolf sugested moving trail daze to Hot Springs and Nean thinks that may be a good thing.

I hope this helps.

construction on the new ballfields at the present Trail Days campsite starts next month

Lugnut
01-23-2010, 16:18
Does the town think they will bring in more money with ballfields than a few days camp fees?

Lone Wolf
01-23-2010, 16:26
Does the town think they will bring in more money with ballfields than a few days camp fees?

it ain't about money. that land sits idle for 360 days per year. these ballfields have been in planning for a few years. it's the county that's building them. the town donated the land. children of the town and county are more important than hikers

Lugnut
01-23-2010, 16:32
it ain't about money. that land sits idle for 360 days per year. these ballfields have been in planning for a few years. it's the county that's building them. the town donated the land. children of the town and county are more important than hikers

Agreed. It's nice to know it's not about the money because in most cases it is.

bullseye
01-23-2010, 16:35
children of the town and county are more important than hikers

your best post ever

Belew
01-23-2010, 16:58

I know the old ballfield gets a lot of use. It could be the best thing going in Damasus that brings folks together.

Lone Wolf
01-23-2010, 17:56
Trail Days has run it's course

rickb
01-23-2010, 17:59
How much does the town spend on Trail Days, L. Wolf?

Lone Wolf
01-23-2010, 18:07
How much does the town spend on Trail Days, L. Wolf?

i don't know what they spend

Belew
01-23-2010, 18:12
I miss the background noise of the ballpark.

Lone Wolf
01-23-2010, 18:17
i don't know what they spend

but what they do collect in vendors fees and camping goes towards extra police, porta johns, garbage removal, water, sewer, electric, trolley shuttles, etc.

CrumbSnatcher
01-23-2010, 19:05
construction on the new ballfields at the present Trail Days campsite starts next month
will they or did they tear down the old ballpark?

Chaco Taco
01-23-2010, 19:17
They could do it in Hot springs, there is a huge field across the street from the campground. It wouldnt be as big a Traildays which is a good thing.

The French Broad River Festival is a pretty cool event in HS so they have the know how.

I agree, its more about giving the children those ballfields.

Lone Wolf
01-23-2010, 19:29
will they or did they tear down the old ballpark?

no and no. they will be building soccer fields from what i gather. Local can give more details

CrumbSnatcher
01-23-2010, 19:44
i like the old ballpark, watched a couple little league games there!

guitboxdude25
01-24-2010, 16:59
Wait-sorry if im missing something but is trail days still occuring in Damascus this year?

TOW
01-24-2010, 19:07
Wait-sorry if im missing something but is trail days still occuring in Damascus this year?
Nope, it has been moved to Duncannon......

Jester2000
01-24-2010, 19:30

I heard it was still going to be in Damascus, but this time it would be the one in Syria.

Sleepy the Arab
01-24-2010, 21:36

Yup. Too big. Too crowded. Too noisy and too drunk.

I'll probably still show up, but I'll be the older coot reminiscing about Trail Days of my youth. And possibly Trail Days' from before my time.

CrumbSnatcher
01-24-2010, 22:01
this is exactly how i feel!
if i ever show up again it will be late in the week so i can go to hardcore again. i think Damascus is an awesome place for 363 days of the year!

CrumbSnatcher
01-24-2010, 22:03
maybe they should move traildays around kinda like they do the gathering, use like 4 different towns and keep rotating?

Lone Wolf
01-24-2010, 23:11

I'll probably still show up, but I'll be the older coot reminiscing about Trail Days of my youth. And possibly Trail Days' from before my time.

if i ever show up again it will be late in the week so i can go to hardcore again. i think Damascus is an awesome place for 363 days of the year!

i'll give you boys an invite to my porch. we'll discuss ol times

Jester2000
01-24-2010, 23:16

This is exactly why I went to the first Long Trail Festival -- so that years from now I can piss & moan about how much better it used to be.

Chaco Taco
01-24-2010, 23:28
This is exactly why I went to the first Long Trail Festival -- so that years from now I can piss & moan about how much better it used to be.

The 08 Fest was pretty sweet as well. Hung out in the sun, listened to music, ate a buncha food, then hiked out

Lone Wolf
01-24-2010, 23:32
The 08 Fest was pretty sweet as well. Hung out in the sun, listened to music, ate a buncha food, then hiked out

10 years from now it will be totally different. in a bad way

wakapak
01-24-2010, 23:36
10 years from now it will be totally different. in a bad way

yeah, we know....I've reminisced about TD's of the past to Chaco, and how it's changed over the years. If we go, our idea was to definitely camp elsewhere, where it can be quiet and not surrouded by the loudness and drunkness...

guitboxdude25
01-24-2010, 23:41
When will the "official" info on the trail days location/time be up?

Lone Wolf
01-24-2010, 23:44
When will the "official" info on the trail days location/time be up?

http://www.traildays.us/

guitboxdude25
01-24-2010, 23:48
http://www.traildays.us/

Thats the 09 info though, do you know when this years info will be up? cause I made plans to go to damascus this year for trail days and I need to know where its gonna be this year.

Lone Wolf
01-24-2010, 23:51
Thats the 09 info though, do you know when this years info will be up? cause I made plans to go to damascus this year for trail days and I need to know where its gonna be this year.

dude. smaller print below the large print MAY,14, 15, 16

guitboxdude25
01-24-2010, 23:53
dude. smaller print below the large print MAY,14, 15, 16

Im asking about location.

Lone Wolf
01-24-2010, 23:53
im asking about location.

damascus!.......

guitboxdude25
01-24-2010, 23:55
damascus!.......

I see that, but a few users above me are saying its changed.

Skidsteer
01-25-2010, 00:01

Keep an eye on the Traildays website Wolf gave you. I feel certain they'll let everybody know if the location changes.

Check four times a day just to be sure.

guitboxdude25
01-25-2010, 00:11
Keep an eye on the Traildays website Wolf gave you. I feel certain they'll let everybody know if the location changes.

haha, thanks.

modiyooch
01-25-2010, 08:35
or email [email protected] hopefully bad info has been posted on this thread

modiyooch
01-25-2010, 19:42

From the clerk in the town of Damascus:

Interesting….
That must be a rumor someone has conjured up.
Trail Days will be held in Damascus , as always, the weekend after Mother’s Day (May 14-16, 2010).

Thank you,
Tuesday Pope, Damascus Town Clerk

Donde
01-25-2010, 19:51
I was planning on attending my first trail days this year during my thru attempt, but by the sound of it maybe I will just keep on hiking. I enjoy a loud drunken mess as much as the next guy, but that is what hash running is for, I go hiking for completely different reasons.

ShelterLeopard
01-25-2010, 19:56
I planned on being a month away from Damascus, come traildays. (Don't want to hike out with that crowd) I may get a ride down to traildays, but probably not. We'll see what my mood is. (I'm not a big crowd person)

Blissful
01-25-2010, 19:59
If you hang around at night, the party gets going. But during the day its fun to meet hiking buddies, share stories, etc I go Sat. day only.

Donde
01-25-2010, 20:07
Yeah I hope to be up around HF give or take a bit by then, I can't imagine putting together a ride down for a day, the other factor for me is I really want to participate in hardcore, Maybe I'll try to come down for the last day of TD. Who the hell knows, as some smart dude once said, "One must be careful not to plan an adventure to effectively"

Stir Fry
01-25-2010, 20:51
Ha Lone Wolf in north side of 50, Im hiking into trail days and I do not want to stay on tent city can ypu recomend anything. If you can send me a PM

Hutch
01-25-2010, 21:32
Trail Days is what you make it !!!!
If it needs fixing, FIX IT !!!!

Jester2000
01-25-2010, 21:32
Trail Days -- It's so crowded, nobody goes to it anymore.

Skidsteer
01-25-2010, 21:36

2010 theme right there!

Somebody print the T-shirts....

Jim Adams
01-25-2010, 22:13
The old Trail Days wasn't better...it was just different. I've only missed 2 since 1990 and I get to see more old friends now than I ever did. There is alot to do and see all day, everyday and the night time party is good...hell, beautiful surrounding mountains, good food, good deals on equipment, great friends and to be honest...I love the drunken mess! I can get solitude and peace in the mountains and wilderness anytime but I only get to have fun with certain friends a few times a year and Trail Days is one of those times. Don't change a thing, just let it continue to evolve as it has been doing since 1988.

geek

Lugnut
01-25-2010, 22:21

Yogi Bera would be proud!

Hikerhead
01-25-2010, 22:34

I've heard that they won't know the location untill the day before it starts...could that be true?

Hooch
01-25-2010, 22:48
I see that, but a few users above me are saying its changed.Uh, no. It's always in Damascus. :rolleyes:

guitboxdude25
01-25-2010, 23:06
Uh, no. It's always in Damascus. :rolleyes:

Does it really seem that irrational to you that the location could change from one place to another? :confused:

Hooch
01-25-2010, 23:19
Does it really seem that irrational to you that the location could change from one place to another? :confused:Yeah, it does. Trail Days is put on by the Town of Damascus. Were it to take place anywhere else, it wouldn't be Trail Days. :rolleyes:

Jester2000
01-25-2010, 23:59
hopefully bad info has been posted on this thread

I don't know about "bad info." More like "silly info."

Does it really seem that irrational to you that the location could change from one place to another? :confused:

I wouldn't say "irrational" necessarily. I would say "startlingly unlikely" and "something we would have heard about before now."

I've heard that they won't know the location untill the day before it starts...could that be true?

What is this? The "start a ridiculous rumor thread?" But I kind of like the idea. Trail Days as a flash mob. Let's do it.

TheTank
01-26-2010, 00:50

Yes, this is true, and they will only announce the location in person in Damascus. So everyone who wants to attend Trail Days should report to Damascus the day before Trail Days to find out where to go for Trail Days.

Johnny Thunder
01-26-2010, 01:56
Trail Days as a flash mob. Let's do it.

Pillow fight!!!

Mountain Dew
01-26-2010, 04:53
If dreams come true we hikers will be tenting on them there soccer fields ! And on the sidelines. ...... And in the remaining woods.... Etc ! The town isn't about to give up Trail Days because it is a money maker. Bet that !!! There isn't anywhere else to put that many hikers either.......

You guys act like Hot Springs doesn't already have a festival.... Trail Fest !!!!

Who is the grand marshal of the parade this year .....so I canstart bitching about that !!!!!

modiyooch
01-26-2010, 08:59
Damascus, indeed, is the friendliest town on the AT. Trail Days could not be anywhere else. Silly intentions or not, bad info should not have been posted.

Hyway
01-26-2010, 10:32
I don't understand teh complaints about the party mess at the campground. If you want to get away from the mess, walk a few hundred more yards into the woods and set up camp. The campground parallels Shady Avenue for a very long ways after you walk past tent city. heck you can drive back there, unload your stuff, then drive back out to park in the parking area. There is no reason to set your tent up 2 feet from the next tent unless you want to. Its nice and quiet back there, you can build a fire, do your own thing, and then walk back into the active part of the campground at your leasure. I prefer the mathem of tent city, but you don't have to. The campground is HUGE.

Plus, I have never met anyone who said they regretted going to Traildays. But I have met plenty who said they wish they had. Traildays is so much more than tent city.

Hyway
01-26-2010, 10:33
err, wish they had gone to traildays

BobTheBuilder
01-26-2010, 10:44
Isn't there a local dairy farmer who could offer up his land for a campground?

Chaco Taco
01-26-2010, 10:51
If we go this year, Im staying in a secret locale in the woods:sun

warraghiyagey
01-26-2010, 10:55
Isn't there a local dairy farmer who could offer up his land for a campground?
Or a huge hippie concert. . . . .

Chaco Taco
01-26-2010, 11:05
Or a huge hippie concert. . . . .

so uh, what happens when you hit 11,111 here???? Are you done???

warraghiyagey
01-26-2010, 11:24
so uh, what happens when you hit 11,111 here???? Are you done???
I already left, there's a thread about it. . .

veteran
01-26-2010, 11:29
They could open this area for camping. :D

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7906&stc=1&d=1264519430

Chaco Taco
01-26-2010, 11:34
They could open this area for camping. :D

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7906&stc=1&d=1264519430

That is where the vendors set up, where would the vendors go?

Jester2000
01-26-2010, 12:15
Who is the grand marshal of the parade this year .....so I canstart bitching about that !!!!!

I'm the grand marshall this year (for those of you who don't like "bad info" being posted, that's not true).

Damascus, indeed, is the friendliest town on the AT. Trail Days could not be anywhere else. Silly intentions or not, bad info should not have been posted.

Well, the talk about Hot Springs was clearly labeled as suggestion, not fact. But you're correct in that someone new to the hiking scene (and I'm assuming that's true of guitboxdude) might not be aware that other locations mentioned were mentioned in jest.

If that's the case, I apologize for suggesting that Trail Days had been moved to Damascus, Syria, and hope that any airline tickets purchased can be refunded.

DrRichardCranium
01-26-2010, 12:25
Last year I was online trying to find hotel rooms near Damascus, VA for traildays, but the websites would only list rooms in Damascus, Syria. If other TrailDays attendees have had the same problem, for all I know part of Traildays might have actually BEEN in Syria!

ShelterLeopard
01-26-2010, 12:25
Damn it Jester, I just booked my ticket to Syria! Argh.

Hyway
01-26-2010, 12:33
It would be a nice change of pace to send a bunch of twenty-something males on a plane to Syria carrying backpacks, alcohol stoves, and all the electronics the modern thruhiker carries

ShelterLeopard
01-26-2010, 12:44
Ha- airport security would be fun!!!

modiyooch
01-26-2010, 19:59
I'm the grand marshall this year (for those of you who don't like "bad info" being posted, that's not true).

Well, the talk about Hot Springs was clearly labeled as suggestion, not fact. But you're correct in that someone new to the hiking scene (and I'm assuming that's true of guitboxdude) might not be aware that other locations mentioned were mentioned in jest.

If that's the case, I apologize for suggesting that Trail Days had been moved to Damascus, Syria, and hope that any airline tickets purchased can be refunded.Actually, it was the Duncannon post and the baseball field posts that made me question. Both were by Damascus' finest. I can handle Hot Springs, but no desire to travel as far as Duncannon.

Sleepy the Arab
01-26-2010, 20:09
Plus, I have never met anyone who said they regretted going to Traildays.

Give me a few years.

guitboxdude25
01-26-2010, 21:20
Yeah, it does. Trail Days is put on by the Town of Damascus. Were it to take place anywhere else, it wouldn't be Trail Days. :rolleyes:

Yes it would, it would be trail days...in another town.:cool:

guitboxdude25
01-26-2010, 21:28

If that's the case, I apologize for suggesting that Trail Days had been moved to Damascus, Syria, and hope that any airline tickets purchased can be refunded.

I was merely checking the facts, seeing if anyone could charm in otherwise. Where I come from thats smart thinking. Of course its "unlikely", but I don't make assumptions.

Chaco Taco
01-26-2010, 21:38
Aww come on, have you been to Traildays???

Hooch
01-26-2010, 22:08
Yes it would, it would be trail days...in another town.:cool:Bless your heart. :rolleyes: Trail Days is always in Damascus. It has never been anywhere else. As I said, it's put on by the Town of Damascus, so that's where it is.

guitboxdude25
01-26-2010, 22:19
Aww come on, have you been to Traildays???

I have not actually. Not yet.

guitboxdude25
01-26-2010, 22:20
Bless your heart. :rolleyes: Trail Days is always in Damascus. It has never been anywhere else. As I said, it's put on by the Town of Damascus, so that's where it is.

Like I said, I don't make assumptions, excuuuuuuuuuuuuse me for implying that things change.

Jester2000
01-26-2010, 22:29
Give me a few years.

I'd like to think that getting to see me makes it all worthwhile.

Actually, it was the Duncannon post and the baseball field posts that made me question. Both were by Damascus' finest. . .

Lone Wolf and TOW have joined the police force?!? That would be fun . . .

modiyooch
01-26-2010, 22:33
ya know, Jester, it's not the humor forum.

Jester2000
01-26-2010, 22:34
I'd like to think they're all humor forums.

modiyooch
01-26-2010, 22:35
I'd like to think they're all humor forums.well, then understand the confusion of those that don't consider them humor forums.

Jester2000
01-26-2010, 22:40
I do understand! I'm confused most of the time myself!

Hooch
01-26-2010, 22:46
well, then understand the confusion of those that don't consider them humor forums.They should stop by Billville for re-education while they're in Damascus for Trail Days. :D

Chaco Taco
01-26-2010, 22:59
I have not actually. Not yet.

No offense kid but you really got nothing to base your comments off of. Just sayin:rolleyes:

guitboxdude25
01-26-2010, 23:02
No offense kid but you really got nothing to base your comments off of. Just sayin:rolleyes:

What does the fact that I have not been yet have to do with the fact that things change?

guitboxdude25
01-26-2010, 23:08
I mean holy crap guys, all I asked was "hey, ya sure?"
A simple "yea, bad info" would have sufficed.

Lugnut
01-26-2010, 23:55
That's just the White Blaze way. You'll adjust. :sun

BooBoo
01-27-2010, 00:42
I haven't been to Trail Days in five years so I'll be more than making up for lost time.

Chaco Taco
01-27-2010, 06:35
I mean holy crap guys, all I asked was "hey, ya sure?"
A simple "yea, bad info" would have sufficed.

I said No offense. Lighten up dude:rolleyes:

Chaco Taco
01-27-2010, 06:37

This is what I was commenting on.......

ShelterLeopard
01-27-2010, 11:47

What does the fact that I have not been yet have to do with the fact that things change?

Chaco is right- you've never been, so why are you commenting? Chillax.

Chaco Taco
01-27-2010, 13:59
Once you have been to TD's its fun but not something id do every year. It was fun experiencing it on our Thru and then going back the year after. Now we are just kinda like, ehhhh whatever. Either way, Damascus does a great job of hosting everyone and we should be so lucky to be invited back for another year.

guitboxdude25
01-27-2010, 14:28
I said No offense. Lighten up dude:rolleyes:

Haha, implying that saying no offense makes you a nice guy...

guitboxdude25
01-27-2010, 14:31
Chaco is right- you've never been, so why are you commenting? Chillax.

Holy crap [no offense] but I can smell the pretentiousness a mile away.

Whether I have been or not- what is the harm in me asking to make sure? I do not understand why you guy's are getting so defensive over someone asking for a second opinion on some information.

ShelterLeopard
01-27-2010, 14:35
Dude, why are you freaking out?

guitboxdude25
01-27-2010, 14:39
Dude, why are you freaking out?

Why are you guys freaking out? I just asked a question then I get bombarded by insults and eye rolls, sorry for defending myself. Sorry for asking a friggin question.

ShelterLeopard
01-27-2010, 14:42
Nah- it's your tone that makes you sound so freaked, not so much the content of what your saying.

Whatever, don't really care.

ShelterLeopard
01-27-2010, 14:43
meant "you're" not "your". Whoops...

Roland
01-27-2010, 14:50
meant "you're" not "your". Whoops...

I've seen you correct spelling/grammar a few times recently. This gives me hope for your generation. :D

I know where you can buy an edit button, cheap (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/payments.php). ;)

ShelterLeopard
01-27-2010, 14:55
:) I really like grammar, and am a tiny bit anal about it.

(My own mother pointed out a birthday card: Front cover, two girls sitting, first girl: "Where's your birthday party at?" Second girl: "Don't end your sentence with a preposition". Inside cover, first girl: "Where's your birthday party at, bltch?" I don't correct the grammar of other people though. Usually. :D )

Roland
01-27-2010, 15:04
Anal? I doubt it. I suspect you simply subscribe to the idea that anything worth doing, is worth doing right.

That's admirable, not anal.

Hyway
01-27-2010, 15:42
Are we sure this isn't a humor thread, or at least an innuendo thread?

Chaco Taco
01-27-2010, 15:54
Holy crap [no offense] but I can smell the pretentiousness a mile away.

Whether I have been or not- what is the harm in me asking to make sure? I do not understand why you guy's are getting so defensive over someone asking for a second opinion on some information.

Hahaha wow kid.......pretentiousness???? haha ok

thecaptain
01-27-2010, 16:31
I have been to trail days for the last 6 years.....first 5 years as a vendor selling photos....last year stayed in tent city with my hiking partner Lead dog....I enjoyed every year I have been there...

Jester2000
01-27-2010, 16:35
I apologize to everyone on behalf of everyone else, so that evryone might be able to get on with their lives.

Unsubscribing. Good luck!

Chaco Taco
01-27-2010, 16:42
I apologize to everyone on behalf of everyone else, so that evryone might be able to get on with their lives.

Unsubscribing. Good luck!

everyone says you are welcome:D

ShelterLeopard
01-27-2010, 16:48
Thanks Roland!

And question about TD- is there anywhere to camp where there truly is no crowd? I don't mean just less crowd, but an actually quiet place to sleep at night? I suppose I could hike out, set up camp, and hike back in each morning and night... But that'd be kind of weird. (Okay, I'd sleep where there's a quiet crowd.) Thoughts?

I suppose I'll either go, and just submerge myself in the crowd, or not go at all. Just have to figure out my mood.

Hyway
01-27-2010, 18:36
Many people don't realize this, but the campground is much bigger than tent city. When you come into the campground, turn to the left, go past the gear reps, go past the car park, follow the road into the woods, and keep walking until you find your spot. You can spread way out back there and not have to set up within 100' of another tent.

Jack Tarlin
01-27-2010, 19:08
Hyway is of course correct, there's plenty of quiet camping if you're willing to walk a bit further into the woods.

That being said, make a religious habit of carrying your headlamp with you at all times at Trail Days, cuz the one time you forget will be the time you end up back at camp at 11 PM spending 45 minutes trying to find your tent!!

johnnybgood
01-27-2010, 20:08
Hyway is of course correct, there's plenty of quiet camping if you're willing to walk a bit further into the woods.

That being said, make a religious habit of carrying your headlamp with you at all times at Trail Days, cuz the one time you forget will be the time you end up back at camp at 11 PM spending 45 minutes trying to find your tent!!
Good to know, Jack . Now where to park the truck if arriving friday night ?

chiefduffy
01-27-2010, 20:30

I paid the fee and found a good place to park in tent city on Friday last year. I also brought a bicycle and rode it around all weekend when I didnt walk. Never moved the truck 'till I left Sunday. Worked great for me. It was nice to be able to throw some stuff in the truck and lock it up when I was in town.

- Duffy

Lone Wolf
01-27-2010, 21:06
Many people don't realize this, but the campground is much bigger than tent city. When you come into the campground, turn to the left, go past the gear reps, go past the car park, follow the road into the woods, and keep walking until you find your spot. You can spread way out back there and not have to set up within 100' of another tent.

I paid the fee and found a good place to park in tent city on Friday last year. I also brought a bicycle and rode it around all weekend when I didnt walk. Never moved the truck 'till I left Sunday. Worked great for me. It was nice to be able to throw some stuff in the truck and lock it up when I was in town.

- Duffy
it's all different this year. the campground will be no more.

Elder
01-27-2010, 22:22
it's all different this year. the campground will be no more.

www.traildays/us (http://www.traildays/us) ,the official site
click on lodging/tentcity
looks like nothings changed this year except Tent City entrance will be manned by Volunteers, not specifically LEOs

I look forward to seeing old and new friends!

Hyway
01-27-2010, 23:52
On this map, http://www.traildays.us/maps.html , it looks like they have tent city in two different places. The large, zoomed in map looks like its between the bingo hall and the ball field, but the zoomed out map shows it in the original location. I assume the first one was just drawn that way for convenience to fit it on the map.

Lone Wolf
01-28-2010, 01:14
www.traildays/us (http://www.traildays/us) ,the official site
click on lodging/tentcity
looks like nothings changed this year except Tent City entrance will be manned by Volunteers, not specifically LEOs

I look forward to seeing old and new friends!

that's for last year. this year will be plenty different

ShelterLeopard
01-28-2010, 17:11

Thanks, will do!

Jack Tarlin
01-28-2010, 17:17
If things are indeed going to be different in Damascus this year, especially as regards campsites, parking, fees/regulations, etc., it would help a great deal if WB people who actually live there keep us informed about this as things develop. They are kind of a unique resource.

Telling us "Things are gonna be plenty different!" is indeed news.

Telling us HOW they're gonna be different is useful news.

Roland
01-28-2010, 17:24
If things are indeed going to be different in Damascus this year, especially as regards campsites, parking, fees/regulations, etc., it would help a great deal if WB people who actually live there keep us informed about this as things develop. They are kind of a unique resource.

Telling us "Things are gonna be plenty different!" is indeed news.

Telling us HOW they're gonna be different is useful news.

Perhaps there are no answers, yet, Jack.

This from the Trail Days website (http://www.traildays.us/maps.html):

Everything related to the campground and campground parking is currently being negotiated.

The old Bayer Property campground will be under construction as ball fields are built. Watch this space for the addition of maps which will show
the campground location and areas for parking,
as well as all other activity locations.

Lone Wolf
01-28-2010, 17:27
Perhaps there are no answers, yet, Jack.

This from the Trail Days website (http://www.traildays.us/maps.html):

Everything related to the campground and campground parking is currently being negotiated.

The old Bayer Property campground will be under construction as ball fields are built. Watch this space for the addition of maps which will show
the campground location and areas for parking,
as well as all other activity locations.

correct roland

Jack Tarlin
01-28-2010, 17:33
Thank you Roland and Wolf.

CrumbSnatcher
01-28-2010, 18:24
i wouldn't mind seeing some old friends. haven't been to TD since 04'
long ass drive though, not sure if the family would like the roadtrip or not.
hardcore would be fun! and we could hike a couple days?

Disney
01-28-2010, 18:30
Change scares me. I like none of this. Personally I think the wishy washy attitude towards trail days is pretty elitist. "Ahhh me, but of course, everyone who is anyone has done trail days to DEATH. Been there, done that. Let it go."

I still think it's an incredible time, and I look forward to it all year. Isn't this change going to be similar to the shift when they moved everyone to the current (past?) campgrounds and away from the center of town. The only thing I would really be concerned with is breaking up the crowd into 4 or 5 smaller campgrounds. That would kill it. THEN I would admit that Trail Days is over.

Jayboflavin04
01-28-2010, 18:32

When I was there this summer one of the Damascus leagues was kickin A$$ and takin names. Build the ballfields. Damascus is a great little town and its people and kids deserve to have something nice.

Chaco Taco
01-28-2010, 18:34
We are only going up as a day trip on Sat, then leaving. I love seeing everyone but Im kinda over Traildays. No offense but I have been 2 times and that is enough. Id rather spend more time on the trail hiking or maintaining with our local club. Either way, Traildays is a great celebration of the trail. Meet some great people that make it possible for us to go out and hike these trails. Thanks to all that support the trail and volunteer their time,effort and finances to the trail as well all of those that tolerate the BS that comes with Traildays. Only a town like Dtown could do it. Damascus will always hold a special place with Team Chacopak. We love you Damascus!

Chaco Taco
01-28-2010, 18:36
When I was there this summer one of the Damascus leagues was kickin A$$ and takin names. Build the ballfields. Damascus is a great little town and its people and kids deserve to have something nice.

That is one thing that I have always noticed about Damascus, lots of kids. The Ballfields will be a great thing for Damascus

Chaco Taco
01-28-2010, 18:38
I The only thing I would really be concerned with is breaking up the crowd into 4 or 5 smaller campgrounds. That would kill it. THEN I would admit that Trail Days is over.

Its pretty much already like that anyway. Its subdivided into small cults and clicks. Just would be more space between them.

Jester2000
01-28-2010, 18:43
Camping used to be dispersed all over the town -- the Island, the River, the edge of Vendorville. Whatever they come up with, I'm sure it will be fine.

As for me, I'll be stealthing in Lone Wolf's back yard.

Chaco Taco
01-28-2010, 18:44
Camping used to be dispersed all over the town -- the Island, the River, the edge of Vendorville. Whatever they come up with, I'm sure it will be fine.

he wont be there:-?:-?:-?

Jester2000
01-28-2010, 18:46
he wont be there:-?:-?:-?

That's the only reason I'll get away with it.

Chaco Taco
01-28-2010, 18:49
That's the only reason I'll get away with it.

I think he keeps his grill outside too:-?:-?:-?

Disney
01-28-2010, 19:04
Its pretty much already like that anyway. Its subdivided into small cults and clicks. Just would be more space between them.

Yeah but I enjoy bouncing from place to place. That's a huge part of the fun. It's a huge circle. Last year it was Miss Janet's, then the Birdcage, Billville, Kick Ass Cove, then Riff Raff. That's a solid 2 hours of conversation and drinking right there. If you put the little cults and cliques in separate zones, divided by a 2 mile walk, there would be no free-flowing movement from place to place. It would be harder to simply wander, meeting new people, finding things to argue about and ending up hating each other for while drinking their beer and starting blood feuds. (that's a joke. I buy way more than I drink every year).

Divided into small sections, it would lose something truly special.

Lone Wolf
01-28-2010, 19:27

i'll allow you and you only.

Jester2000
01-28-2010, 19:35
Wow. What a kind offer, Wolf. Thank you!

(For everyone else: there was a time where if I said I was going to camp in Wolf's yard, he would have reminded me that he owns guns)

Chaco Taco
01-28-2010, 21:32
i'll allow you and you only.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g256/blackenroe2/kotteropc.jpg

Lone Wolf
01-28-2010, 21:43
Wow. What a kind offer, Wolf. Thank you!

(For everyone else: there was a time where if I said I was going to camp in Wolf's yard, he would have reminded me that he owns guns)

you will posess said guns during your stay. gotta keep out the riff raff

Jester2000
01-28-2010, 22:37
Hahahahahahaha!

Chaco Taco
01-28-2010, 22:38
Hahahahahahaha!

Now you just need to get deputized:D

Mountain Dew
01-28-2010, 22:57
Jester is already the mayor of Billville. And Billville already has a Sheriff and Chief of Police......
--------------------------------------------------

Zurely the city government doesn't think Damascus can handle
Trail Days without a very large lot of land to place hikers. If so, that is poor planning and very illadvised.

If there is not a set place to camp I see alot of towing and stealth camping going on, which will piss off the locals.

If a town is going to put on an event this big then and make the money off of it then it needs to provide the land. This isn't the Trail Days of 1995.....

Bulldawg
01-28-2010, 23:18
yeah, we know....I've reminisced about TD's of the past to Chaco, and how it's changed over the years. If we go, our idea was to definitely camp elsewhere, where it can be quiet and not surrouded by the loudness and drunkness...

If we go this year, Im staying in a secret locale in the woods:sun

We're staying way out of town in one of the Forest Service campgrounds out towards the Scales.

Now I just need to find a place to park my truck every day when I drive into town.:-?:-?

Chaco Taco
01-28-2010, 23:22
We're staying way out of town in one of the Forest Service campgrounds out towards the Scales.

Now I just need to find a place to park my truck every day when I drive into town.:-?:-?
Yea I think we may just come up for Saturday and leave evening and drive back to Asheville. I need to work as much as I can before the wedding and the honeymoon. There is always next year.

modiyooch
01-29-2010, 20:20
The only thing I would really be concerned with is breaking up the crowd into 4 or 5 smaller campgrounds. That would kill it. THEN I would admit that Trail Days is over.I enjoy Trail Days, and have never camped. If I were to have a w/e of camping, I would camp at Grayson Highlands.

modiyooch
01-29-2010, 20:21
Now I just need to find a place to park my truck every day when I drive into town.:-?:-?We park on Main St.

Johnny Appleseed
01-29-2010, 20:56
Back in my day-'06 I stayed at the place run by the methodist church. They bought the next door house and you can camp on the lawn. Get there early. It is mostly quiet for crammed tents. Be sure to watch for locals dropping off food at THE PLACE. It goes fast. At the end some trail food that did not sell got dumped off, right into my pack.

I got there and some old guy volunteering asked my my name, I could tell he was making sure I was a real hiker- just smell me?! Anyway when I said johnny appleseed he said "oh bullsh%$." It was this old man raspy voice that I may never forget. Very funny. Maybe I should have kept my skirt on/off-can't remember. Also no theft reports from there as some reports from tent city-of course. Always cover pack w/ loose smelly clothing.

Chaco Taco
01-29-2010, 20:59
Back in my day-'06 I stayed at the place run by the methodist church. They bought the next door house and you can camp on the lawn. Get there early. It is mostly quiet for crammed tents. Be sure to watch for locals dropping off food at THE PLACE. It goes fast. At the end some trail food that did not sell got dumped off, right into my pack.

I got there and some old guy volunteering asked my my name, I could tell he was making sure I was a real hiker- just smell me?! Anyway when I said johnny appleseed he said "oh bullsh%$." It was this old man raspy voice that I may never forget. Very funny. Maybe I should have kept my skirt on/off-can't remember. Also no theft reports from there as some reports from tent city-of course. Always cover pack w/ loose smelly clothing.
Hikers dont take care of it and it gets way overcrowded. If you go make sure you donate and read the signs!!! I stayed one night and had to get the hell away from it.

Belew
01-29-2010, 21:17
We park on Main St.

Main Street?

modiyooch
01-29-2010, 21:26
Main Street?I don't know if it's official called Main Street, but it's the street that runs thru the middle of town. The same one as the parade.

CrumbSnatcher
01-29-2010, 21:33
in 2000 i bricked a friends porch and stairways on his house
so i could borrow his custom van with a bed in the back and a table and fridge. parked right next to the postoffice. turned into a 2 week roadtrip

Mountain Dew
01-31-2010, 03:23
According to the Trail Days website there will be a campground this year..... just not at the same Bayer campsite. They haven't said where it will be, but state that they willbe updating site soon with details.

Things wont be changed much. Hopefully we will have a better campsite that isn't "toxic", doesn't collect water, and has level ground. Hopefully this will be the change we can believe in.

Lone Wolf
01-31-2010, 03:38
According to the Trail Days website there will be a campground this year..... just not at the same Bayer campsite. They haven't said where it will be, but state that they willbe updating site soon with details.

Things wont be changed much. Hopefully we will have a better campsite that isn't "toxic", doesn't collect water, and has level ground. Hopefully this will be the change we can believe in.

the present campground was never toxic. the fenced in property next to it as you head toward town was an EPA clean up site and most likely will be the new campground

Lone Wolf
01-31-2010, 03:43
the present campground was never toxic. the fenced in property next to it as you head toward town was an EPA clean up site and most likely will be the new campground

http://yosemite.epa.gov/opa/admpress.nsf/e51aa292bac25b0b85257359003d925f/2da05d45dae7ca21852570d60070f96c!OpenDocument

Lion King
01-31-2010, 15:32

Yup....I still remember the on the river where the mill is trail days...Pre-Gypsy/Lone Wolf.;)

maybe....1000 people all weekend. Very few 'locals' (who arent local), way less drunken stupidity and as far as I knew no car pack or gear theft.

I may not go this year. I do like seeing pals, but.....who knows?

Red Hat
01-31-2010, 16:59

No Lion King at Trail Days!!! How can it be? Say it isn't so and you were just joking!

Chaco Taco
01-31-2010, 17:58
Yup....I still remember the on the river where the mill is trail days...Pre-Gypsy/Lone Wolf.;)

maybe....1000 people all weekend. Very few 'locals' (who arent local), way less drunken stupidity and as far as I knew no car pack or gear theft.

We are only going to go for the day Saturday

wakapak
01-31-2010, 18:28

yep, i also remember the old trail days you speak of.....