PDA

View Full Version : Your Most Memorable Hitch

Downunda
01-23-2010, 04:44
What's the most memorable hitch you've had whilst hiking the AT?

I've had quite a few interesting lifts as I'm sure others have, but my most memorable was at about 8:30am one weekday at Winding Stair Gap wanting to go to Franklin NC. Many cars were passing me by and after quite a while I was wondering if I was ever going to get a lift. After about 25 minutes I picked up by a young married couple, probably in their late 20's.

Their car was a real bomb, however they were a lovely couple. After talking with them it became quite clear that they didn't have a dime... it transpired that the husband was unemployed and wife had cancer. They were on their way to Greenville for regular treatment. They had to do the 80 mile (round or one way I can't remember) trip three times a week. At my drop-off point I offered them money for gas and they didn't want to take it but of course in those circumstances I insisted.

I'm not normally prone to feelings of dread but on this day I had a foreboding feeling about the future for the young lady and wonder to this day what the outcome was.

Summit
01-23-2010, 08:52
My "most memorable hitch" was of quite a different nature. "Billy Bo Bob" and his son gave me a lift in the early '70s (Viet Nam was in full swing). They were chugging beers and tossing the cans out the window. BBB was lamenting about draft dodging hippies and turned around to me in the back seat with a finger pointing in my face, and said "You aren't one of them draft dodging hippies are you?" (with my long hair, I certainly looked the part). Of course I said "no," and said something very patriotic.

After what seemed like an eternity of small talk over the course of a few miles (and 3 or 4 beers apiece in a matter of minutes), we finally arrived where the AT crossed the highway (Wallace Gap, NC) and I got out quickly, thanked them, and practically ran a mile or so up the trail to make sure I had gotten away from them. "Bubba" and "Bubba Jr." were very large guys and quite scary. The two of them could have quite easily beat the crap out of me and taken all my gear had anything I said set them off.

It took hours of hiking the first of a five-day hike to get the encounter out of my mind and to find peace on the trail.

fiddlehead
01-23-2010, 09:19
Sorry if this is off topic but I noticed where you are from and my most memorable hitch was on my hitch from Broome to Darwin back in '92.
Picked up by a truckload of aboriginals who had a digiridoo and I had my guitar.
We went to a small town and started jamming together.
The women went and hung out by the ATM machine and begged from folks taking money out. Every time they'd score, they'd buy some wine and pass it around (slapping high fives first)
We had some awesome awesome jams that night and I would give a lot for a recording of the music. But the memories will stay with me always.

Oh, on the AT?
Many there too. But my most memorable ones on the AT were when i picked up hikers.

Blissful
01-23-2010, 10:09
We got a ride with an 80 yr old ski instructor from Pinkham Notch to Gorham driving this very old Cadillac; lived in the area all his life, he was great and had some fascinating stories to tell

garlic08
01-23-2010, 10:20
At a road crossing along the CDT in New Mexico, on the Zuni Reservation, we were out of water. The last "guaranteed" source, a piped cattle tank, was dry. That was about three miles ago, and the next promising source was another 10 miles. It was almost dark. We were looking at a long walk in the night. It was nearly 100F that day, too. That's the thirstiest I've ever been. We weren't in danger, just uncomfortable.

The reservation road wasn't shown on our maps. We were surprised to see traffic on it, and stopped to pull out some maps. We didn't even put out our thumbs before a pickup stopped. Then another. Then another. Soon we had a full-blown party with beer, weed, an invitation to slaughter a pig for a feast--everything but water. We were made very welcome on Indian land.

No one had any water, or room for three hikers and packs, so Pickle got in a pickup to go to "town" for water. He got there and the piped water system was shut off to fill the cattle tanks, like the empty one we just left. So he gave the driver some money to buy bottled water in Albuquerque and return later that night and drop it off at the road crossing, where we would camp for the night.

He got another hitch back to the party, which had grown. As he got out of the pickup, dirty, dark with sun, drinking a Bud, one of the Zuni said to me, "You didn't say your hiking partner was a local!" We all got a laugh out of that.

The party had disbanded by the time the water arrived from ABQ, about eleven that night. With four gallons of water, a cool desert night, a great welcome from a different culture, we were all set for another day.

squeezebox
01-23-2010, 11:02
A friend of mine was hitching from St. Louis to Kansas City and got picked up by Chuck Berry

superman
01-23-2010, 11:03
Many people who wouldn't stop for a person will stop for a dog. Winter and I hiked the LT in 1999 as a shakedown hike for the AT. Going NOBO at that road crossing just before Stratton Mtn, an elderly couple picked us up. They had a four door coupe and put Winter in the front between them. I sat in the back with our gear. As they drove they started asking Winter questions like how far we were going, etc. Since Winter knew the answer but chose not to I had to answer as if it were Winter answering. :)

Slo-go'en
01-23-2010, 12:38
Hitching in Yellowstone NP, I got a ride with a Korenian family. The father (who did all the talking) asked how long to see all the park. I answered "a life time". He replied, "Very good, but I have only 3 days". I proceeded to play tourist guide for the rest of the ride to Old Faithfull. At the end of the ride (which took a couple of hours), he asked if he could take a picture of "his American hiker friend", which of course I said yes to.

middle to middle
01-23-2010, 12:43
I could hear this car coming for a while, it had no muffler. It stopped, inside no seats or interior apolstry, the driver sat on a box, I sat on a parashute, the driver was in the army and on the sky diving team. Great guy and a great ride.

Pickleodeon
01-23-2010, 13:09
Hm, Sam's Gap (TN, I think).

We decided to hitch to the gas station/little store for lunch. It was hot, and I wasn't thrilled about it slowing down our day. The four of us, plus dog, decided to give it like 20 minutes, at about 18 minutes of waiting, the first car we saw on the road came toward us, and I jumped up, being the only girl. So, two people, guy driver, and androgynous other human, in a pick-up stopped for us. The bed was completely full of lumber, so our hiker with dog sat in the bed, on top of the wood, and held the dog and our 4 packs. The other three of us crammed in the truck after moving the chainsaw, and the case of beer. Driver was smoking a joint, and passenger was holding the shotgun between the seats. They stopped at their house to drop off the gun on the way. Cause, "you get caught with weed once, and the cops are all over ya." So, he didn't want to get pulled over for having our friend in the truck bed on top of a pile of lumber.. and get nailed for having a gun in the truck. Nevermind, the joint in hand and the open case of beer.

Turns out androgynous human was a very effeminate dude with dreadlocks. Wow, interesting ride.

RollingStone
01-23-2010, 14:22
My "most memorable hitch" was of quite a different nature. "Billy Bo Bob" and his son gave me a lift in the early '70s (Viet Nam was in full swing). They were chugging beers and tossing the cans out the window. BBB was lamenting about draft dodging hippies and turned around to me in the back seat with a finger pointing in my face, and said "You aren't one of them draft dodging hippies are you?" (with my long hair, I certainly looked the part). Of course I said "no," and said something very patriotic.

This story reminds me of the song "Uneasy Rider" by Charlie Daniels :D

waywardfool
01-23-2010, 14:35
My best was back in the late 80's. Going with a group of Scouts from Blumont, VA to Caledonia SP, PA. After we got up there, found out our shuttle driver that was to move our bus was a no-go. We decided I would take the bus on up to Caledonia, buying some solo food on the way up, and hike back South alone. Within five minutes of arriving at Caledonia, I struck up a conversation with a family (one thing I'm not good at is starting a conversation with strangers--they started it, saw the town name on the side of the bus, and knew somebody down my way)...and immediately got a ride from them down to Pen-Mar.

As soon as I got out of their car, a couple of men in a pickup asked which way I was headed on the trail. I told them I was actually just trying to get further south to meet a group. They were from a trail club, and out doing some weedeating and sign maintenance at road crossings, working their way south. That got me almost all the way there.

Within five minutes of them dropping me off, a National Park ranger from Harper's Ferry had me in his truck headed south...ended up letting me out at a road crossing just a couple of miles from where the Scouts were camping their first night. I walked into their camp just before dark.

Not bad, got back down about 80 trail miles in three hitches, never thumbed or asked for a ride, and never had to wait more than five minutes between rides. That's real trail magic.

Pringles
01-23-2010, 17:11
I'd had a little problem, and needed to get back to my vehicle. It was raining and I was at a road crossing that had a parking area. There were a couple of cars parked there, with people in them, but they weren't offering a ride, and I didn't ask. They drove off. I figured that a hiker showing initiative, walking toward town, would be more likely to be picked up than one not showing initiative, so I pointed myself toward town and started walking. Sure enough, a pickup approaching from the opposite direction slowed, the driver peered over at me, turned around and pulled in in front of me. As he passed beside me, I noticed the truck had lights on the cab and the insignia of the local sheriff's department on the door. The driver got out of the truck and asked if I'd like a ride. I nodded and he motioned for me to get in the bed of the pickup. I got into the pickup, with my back against the back of the cab. He asked me where I wanted to go, and I described where my vehicle was. He got in the truck and pulled into traffic.

I looked around. I was in the back of a pickup, nestled among many big black full garbage bags. There was plenty of water in the bed of the pickup, too, from the rain. Fortunately, it had stopped raining. I grabbed the ends of my poncho so that when we really got moving I wouldn't get attacked by the flapping edges. In the cab, along with the driver, were two men dressed in bright orange shirts that said "County Sheriff..." and that's all I could read. Hmmmmmmmmm.

We seemed to be going quite fast. We were passing everything. I guess when you are driving the County Sheriff Department's pickup truck you could go just about as fast as you wanted. I took the opportunity to grin at the people who had passed me as I trudged through the rain. I really grinned as we passed a guy who was getting a ticket (I assume for speeding). The 15-ish miles to town went pretty fast. I was deposited at my truck and so ended my stint in the back of the county sheriff's pickup truck and my most memorable hitch to date.

McPick
01-23-2010, 22:30
I stated hitchhiking in 1968 while I was still in high school. I've had so many wonderful, memorable rides over the years that I think sometimes I should write a book. I never had any trouble except from one extremely mean, surly state policeman on I 80 near Chicago in 1969. And even tho his efforts to frighten the heck out of me succeeded, his threatening actions ultimately helped me get away from him. Unbeknownst to him, I was assisted by a sweet older couple in a brand new motor home. (with food!) See ya!

One of the many pleasures I enjoyed immensely along the AT in '06 and again in '08 was catching rides to and from the trail for various reasons. Sometimes alone. Sometimes with trail friends. For example, in '06 the Lady Brits (Sees Bears and Sun Worshiper) and I got pretty good at asking for rides from the Wayside restaurant across from Big Meadows recreational area in Shenandoah Park.

After we finished a hearty breakfast, I would approach drivers to request a ride. My line was typically, "Are you headed north?" Driver, "S'cuse me?" Me, "I'm hiking the Appalachian Trail with those (pointing) two ladies from England. We're trying to get a ride to (such and such) a location. If you're going that direction, do you have room for 3 hikers?" We were not naive about this. (You know, the old Hitchhiking 101... "Goin hitchin'? Take a girl!") The request was carefully worded to provide the drivers with very important information... Most of the drivers thought, Ladies.... England.... Then they usually (and quickly) said, "Get in!" We wasted little time getting rides using this method. I just sat back as the ladies chatted amiably with the drivers... Their delightful British accents, laughter and trail stories entertaining us all.

Additionally, Sees Bears is blond, so of course anytime we had to actually stick out our thumbs, we put her out front.

Then there was the older married couple who picked us up. We learned the man driving was the woman's second husband. As we rode along, the woman spoke fondly (non-stop) of her long-departed first husband. She told us that as she and her husband drove anywhere, they followed the flights of large birds. This because her first husband told her on his death bed that he'd come back to her as a large bird... Her current husband kinda hunkered down over the wheel and didn't participate much in the conversation. We figured he was just as happy to have her talking to someone else!

Another man who gave me a ride one afternoon in Shenandoah told me he was a German scientist who used the Hubble telescope to search for Super Novas. Now that guy was VERY interesting. Luckily, I understood his explanation of how people gain permission to use the "instrument" as he called it. It's a typical 'committee, committee, committee.' process. However, when he started explaining about measuring distances between stars using light.... Well, um... I'm afraid that explanation went over my head at light speed!

Thanks for the memories, Downunda. I know I had the time of my life...

Chaco Taco
01-23-2010, 23:42
Catawba, Virginia

Lilred
01-24-2010, 01:15
My most memorable was hitching into Robbinsville. A guy pulled up in what appeared to be a gremlin, pulling another car with a rope. When we got in he explained that the car he was driving didn't have reverse, and the car he was pulling, with his friend at the wheel, didn't have forword. So between the two of them, they got around. What a HOOT!!

sbhikes
01-24-2010, 11:06
I needed a ride to Cabazon on the PCT but I had walked down the wrong road. So I called a cab. The cab was a beat up piece-o-crap little economy car from the 80s. The driver was a kid. He drove me at about 90 mph on the Interstate. The car was swaying and drifting and floating. Smoke was pouring out. When he dropped me off he begged me not to tell his boss how bad he drove.

Another one was in Crater Lake. I stuck out my thumb and this older couple drove by. You know the kind. Middle class, did everything "right", waited until retirement to finally do something other than work. People like that never pick up hitchhikers. I thought to myself, they are going to turn around and come get me. When they pulled up they told me they never pick up hitchhikers but something about me made them turn around and pick me up. It was trail magic, that's what.

squeezebox
01-24-2010, 11:07
I hitched st. louis to Nebraska with a bicycle and full touring gear. The pickup trucks appear obliged, it was an easy ride. The guy with a pint of bourbon and needed to show off his pistol was scary.

Lilred
01-24-2010, 11:12
I hitched st. louis to Nebraska with a bicycle and full touring gear. The pickup trucks appear obliged, it was an easy ride. The guy with a pint of bourbon and needed to show off his pistol was scary.

You hitchhiked with a bicycle???

Jim Adams
01-24-2010, 12:13
'02 thru I was in the front seat of a pick-up truck getting a hitch to town when the alarm on the wrist watch on the rear view mirror went off. The driver yelled "4:20" and stopped in the middle of the road to roll a joint. Other cars behind were laying on the horns but he just wound down the window, stuck out his arm and waved them by. When he finished rolling he handed the joint to me and said " light that bitch up...only reason to own a watch".

geek

Cookerhiker
01-24-2010, 16:08
Man - too many good ones to list just one.

1982 - hitching in the White Mountains from Crawford Notch back to Pinkham after a section hike. My ride was a NH state legislator. I still remember his name: Harold Burns. Of course I was aware then that the statistical odds weren't that inprobably since NH's state legislature is the 3rd most populous in the world. Yes, that's right - the world!
Fall of 2002 - doing a dayhike between Cheshire & Dalton. It was a weekday. Parked the car in Dalton figuring it would take forever to get a ride. You know the paradox: where there's lots of traffic in settled areas, you're less likely to get a ride especially when it's pouring rain. I waited less 5 minutes when a Trail volunteer picked me up and took me all the way to my starting point.
Fall of 2003 - hitching on Rt.7 in CT. Waited for over an hour when a car finally stopped. The young guy was friendly with a friendly dog. I could barely fit into the car besides all the stuff - I wondered if he was homeless. Of course I didn't ask nor (I think) betray anything but the driver mentioned that he lived in the car. And he had gotten the dog in California after he hitched across the country. He said the homeward hitch was much easier because people felt sorry for the dog!
Spring of '05 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=97365) - needed a hitch from Hughes Gap, TN, a very desolate stretch of road. The second car that came by proved to be my Trail Angel - she took me all the way to Mountain Harbor B&B.
Also Spring of '05 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=98012) - needed a ride down VA Rt. 42 to begin the hike over Chestnut Knob. The driver took me 30 miles out of his way.
JMT hike in '06 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=158125) - I ended the hike early and hiked to the nearest road in Sequoia NP where a couple took me all the way to the AMTRAK station in Fresno.

guitboxdude25
01-24-2010, 16:50
My dad once picked up Jerry Garcia in Tennessee, he was pushing his bike up a mountain. Jerry invited him back up to the lodge to hang out with the band and party but my dad had not believed him.

my most memorable hitch was my first one- on the AT, I needed a ride to hiawassee-my first stop. I got to it and didnt see any cars, but the second I put my thumb up a car came around the corner-the first one-and picked me up. Nice guy, mid 20s id say, the "loner type". Had a nice talk about life and stuff.

Tipi Walter
01-24-2010, 16:52
Hm, Sam's Gap (TN, I think).

We decided to hitch to the gas station/little store for lunch. It was hot, and I wasn't thrilled about it slowing down our day. The four of us, plus dog, decided to give it like 20 minutes, at about 18 minutes of waiting, the first car we saw on the road came toward us, and I jumped up, being the only girl. So, two people, guy driver, and androgynous other human, in a pick-up stopped for us. The bed was completely full of lumber, so our hiker with dog sat in the bed, on top of the wood, and held the dog and our 4 packs. The other three of us crammed in the truck after moving the chainsaw, and the case of beer. Driver was smoking a joint, and passenger was holding the shotgun between the seats. They stopped at their house to drop off the gun on the way. Cause, "you get caught with weed once, and the cops are all over ya." So, he didn't want to get pulled over for having our friend in the truck bed on top of a pile of lumber.. and get nailed for having a gun in the truck. Nevermind, the joint in hand and the open case of beer.

Turns out androgynous human was a very effeminate dude with dreadlocks. Wow, interesting ride.

This good story reminds me of some of my hitchhiking stories:

** I was hitching out of Blowing Rock NC and got to the interstate and was picked up by a guy in a van. He really wanted me to have a big clear plastic bag of marijuana seeds and kept shoving them in my hand but I didn't want them and told him so. My pack was big enough already.

** Somewhere in VA an off-duty cop picked me up and he had a handgun on the seat next to him under a newspaper and he stayed nervous and kept fidgeting with the paper, his right hand always free and ready. Weird.

** Another time I was headed to Washington DC on I81 and got picked up by a lawyer and his felon client just released from prison. The lawyer drove over 80mph(I know, I looked), and while he did so he would turn around in his seat to talk to me, then his car would veer nearly off the road and one time it almost went under an 18 wheeler. Just let me out! I got dropped off in DC and then the fun began. Has anyone hitchhiked the Beltway around DC? It ain't fun.

** Another time I was hitching out of Union Grove NC on a Sunday morning after a powwow and had my full pack. Not long on I77 an older guy in a pickup truck stopped and I threw my pack in the back. As we were riding north, out of nowhere he said, "Do you still have sex?"
I said, "Uh, sometimes." Then he said, "Do you want to have sex?" And I said, "Uh, no, there's too many diseases out there." And he said, "Well, we could use condoms." Finally, I said "HEY! I just want a ride!"
What's weird is that I got the same feeling from a born again Christian who picked me up to "save me" about one year earlier as I did from the cruising homosexual. These types will give you a ride, sure, but they've got something more in mind.

** One time I was hitching thru Spruce Pine NC and a guy stopped and I ran over to his car. Just as I grabbed the door handle I saw him pointing a chrome plated .38 pistol at my face and the muzzle opening looked about 2 feet wide and I quickly back-pedaled behind and away. He put it in reverse and rolled down the window and said, "Hey, get in, I just carry this gun to let people know not to do anything funny." I got in and it turned out he was a retired newspaper reporter from a Syracuse paper and was given the gun for his retirement. I remember throwing my heavy ALICE backpack in the backseat right on top of the pistol and thought, "I hope that thing doesn't go off!"

** One time I was hitching with Bebe and we were near Wilkesboro NC and an old beat up car pulled over and it was way overloaded with people already, but they were nice enough to stop. The driver was a white 300lb woman with a little kid standing next to her by the shifter. In the passenger seat was a 300lb black woman with a kid in her lap. Here's where it gets interesting. In the back seat were 3 huge black guys who all looked like Laurence Taylor, the pro football player, and they filled out the back seat completely. I looked into the car and thought, "There's no way we'll fit", but Bebe squeezed in and I squeezed in and we piled our 2 big backpacks on the laps and into the faces of the guys in the back, along with us. A bit tight.

** Another time I was hitching with Donna on the Blue Ridge Parkway around Linville Gorge and we were on our way to Mt Rogers and Grayson Highlands in VA. A fanatic Parkway cop in a Jeep pulled over and told us hitching is not allowed and the cretin kicked us off the Parkway! It was alright for 40 foot RVs and screaming racing motorcycles but not for hitchhikers. We had to walk several miles to get to another hitchable road.

** Another time I was on I40 somewhere near Asheville and for two full days I could not get a ride. I stood on the pavement and 40,000 cars must've gone by before I finally got picked up. The first day it got dark and I set up camp a couple hundred yards away in a treeline and then in the morning my bad luck started all over again.

** One time I was on Hiway 54 going out of Chapel Hill NC and stood on the shoulder and spent several hours waiting for a ride. Finally, 3 guys in a pickup stopped and the guy in the middle waved around his pistol and said to jump in the back of the truck. When I saw the gun and since it was almost dusk, I got a bad feeling about it and hemmed and hawed: "Uh, you guys won't believe this but I'm actually supposed to be going IN THE OTHER DIRECTION. I got on the wrong side of the road!" They thought I was nuts and took off and at nightfall I had no choice but to leave the road and set up my tent for the night in a nearby treeline.

** One of the strangest went like this: I was on a backpacking trip into Pisgah NF with some friends and was swimming and sat on a rock to get some sun when a woman Outward Bound leader passed by with 8 or 10 backpackers on a guided trip. We talked and the leader was friendly and interesting and then she took off with her group. A year later I was hitching North on I81 in VA and a woman stops to pick me up and it's the same Outward Bound instructor. Wow.

** One time I was hitching out of the Cherokee Indian reservation at the Cherokee Village and a white guy picked me up in a nice new Corvette. We got to talking and he turned out to be a store owner in the tourist trap that is the small town of Cherokee. He said white ownership of their businesses was the best thing to ever happen to the Cherokees. I almost puked. What you have to put up with for a ride.

** Another time I was on Hiway 64/74 by Waynesville NC and got dropped off at the Lake Junaluska exit and wanted to hitch to Hot Springs and the AT on Hiway 209, a little rural country road with little traffic. So little traffic that dangit I never did catch a ride and for 2 days and nearly 35 miles I stayed on 209 to Hot Springs. I passed thru little places called "Trust" and "Luck" and a place called "Beck's Overlook" where I set up the tent for the night. About 4 miles from Hot Springs I finally got a ride with a guy in a bread truck.

** Finally, my last hitch was in December of 2009(last month)after a 15 day backpacking trip and the roads were snowed over and my ride couldn't get to me so I stuck out the old faithful thumb and in 2 cars had my ride. I've done alot of hitching in snowstorms and blizzards and gotta say it's the best time to catch a ride. People are very helpful during snowstorms and cold snaps. I even had my dog with me.

Flush2wice
01-24-2010, 17:08
do bulls have thumbs?

Jim Adams
01-24-2010, 19:21
I was hitching to get back to Pawling, N.Y. after the WW Canoe Nationals during my 1990 thru. Needed to go from one interstate highway to another somewhere near Scranton, Pa. The driver dropped me off at my exit and I walked up the ramp toward the next interstate highway when I realized that I can't hitch on the interstates, only on the ramps so I stood there and hitched for 5 hours until it got dark and still didn't get a ride. I crossed the ramp and walked down into a small grove of trees in the center of the cloverleaf intersection and set up my tarp. Camped over night in that cloverleaf and actually slept quite well. Awoke in the morning in time for the rush hour traffic and got a ride in about 15 minutes. One of the strangest campsites that I've had.

geek

Tipi Walter
01-24-2010, 21:17
I was hitching to get back to Pawling, N.Y. after the WW Canoe Nationals during my 1990 thru. Needed to go from one interstate highway to another somewhere near Scranton, Pa. The driver dropped me off at my exit and I walked up the ramp toward the next interstate highway when I realized that I can't hitch on the interstates, only on the ramps so I stood there and hitched for 5 hours until it got dark and still didn't get a ride. I crossed the ramp and walked down into a small grove of trees in the center of the cloverleaf intersection and set up my tarp. Camped over night in that cloverleaf and actually slept quite well. Awoke in the morning in time for the rush hour traffic and got a ride in about 15 minutes. One of the strangest campsites that I've had.

geek

I fudged quit a bit on the "ramp only" rule, in fact I never used the ramp for interstate hitching, sorted scooted along further past the ramp to be seen by everyone. Oh, and I just thought of another one:

** I was hitching out of Winston-Salem NC and a woman stopped on the side of the road and gave me a 5 dollar bill and said "God bless you" and then took off. No ride, though.

Downunda
01-24-2010, 22:47
Geek, In 2002 I spent the night with you and a number of older ladies in a shelter just south of the Kennebec River crossing. I remember it well as it was very crowded and as you with the guy who previously hiked the AT with a cat how could I forget.

stranger
01-24-2010, 22:49
We were hitching out after breakfast and we heard beeping from a car then heard it slam on the breaks, it was on a different road to where we were standing but they could see us.

We got in the car and it reeked of booze (10am or so!) then as we start swerving up towards the trail the driver asks me my name, so I say Stranger, and he says, Stranger reach under the seat and grab me another beer, so I reach under the seat and find the warm beer and hand it to him. He drinks it in about 90 seconds.

I remember it well, good times!

Wise Old Owl
01-24-2010, 22:51
my thumb was out and a motorbike (150 cc) stopped... that was fun, I prefer a bigger bike.....

Jim Adams
01-24-2010, 22:56
Geek, In 2002 I spent the night with you and a number of older ladies in a shelter just south of the Kennebec River crossing. I remember it well as it was very crowded and as you with the guy who previously hiked the AT with a cat how could I forget.

Yes, I remember...can't remember the name of the shelter though...mental block but it was the second shelter south of the Kennebec. It was quite crowded...Do remember Bliss was one of the women there....had such a secret crush:o on her the whole way up the trail but she was married.:eek:LOL
Good to hear from you!

geek

Tipi Walter
01-25-2010, 10:18
my thumb was out and a motorbike (150 cc) stopped... that was fun, I prefer a bigger bike.....

I used to have a motorcycle and once picked up a hitchhiker on the side of the road, always had an extra helmet strapped on the back. I knew he wouldn't try to mess with me from the back.

One time when I had my 1984 Datsun pickup truck I stopped for a hitchhiker outside Boone NC and it was an old homeless type guy, probably a drunk, and he got into the passenger seat and we were off. Unfortunately, I just got some free books from a goodwill store and put them on the floor by his feet and one of them was on Human Anatomy and the cover showed a human femur bone and an open human chest. His eyes got big and he started to freak out.

Cookerhiker
01-25-2010, 11:50
Forgot to mention the 2 rides from "Born again" Christians who probably picked me up so they could proselytize. One was on US 58 east of Damascus; he picked me up around the Grayson Highlands entrance. The other wasn't literally a hitch. I was waiting to take AMTRAK from Harpers Ferry back to Cumberland after my C&O Canal bike ride and this guy asked me for directions and then subsequently offered me a ride. I greatly appreciated his gesture in that it saved me time and $$$

So sure enough, it didn't take long on either ride for the evangelizing to start. Now I'm not averse at all to talking religion and as a person of faith, I've read and studied much of the Bible. I like talking religion. But that wasn't good enough for these guys - I had to believe their way and use their language e.g. "born again" and "saved." Apparently my role was to listen to them, agree with them, and only talk if I used their language of affirmation.

What sort-of bothered me and also amused me was both of these guys displayed some ignorance of the very Scriptures they were pushing. I won't go into details here but suffice to say I (politely) raised some points that totally went over their head; their reactions indicated to me that they weren't familiar with the passages I cited even though they weren't some obsure Old Testament rant; they were from the Gospels.

ShelterLeopard
01-25-2010, 11:56
Great thread! I've never yet actually hitched. I've been offered rides several times, by day hikers who were headed back down to their cars, which I gladly accepted. (I must have that "I need a ride or I may get hit by a car" look... Hmmm... gonna have to play that one up.)

Though one time, I did try to get a ride from Lehigh Gap to Palmerton, and stood there for ten minutes, and finally gave up.

I'm sure I'll do plenty of hitching on my upcoming thru though!

Buzz_Lightfoot
01-25-2010, 15:27
Great stories everyone. Thanks for sharing!

Grampie
01-25-2010, 17:50
During my thru I was hiking with Shepherd. We stopped at the Blue Ridge Resturant at Ashby Gap and decided to go into Winchester to find a motel to get a shower and spend the night. While in the resturant we got approached by a guy who had been drinking, and asked us if he could give us a ride somewhere. We left and went outside to his car. It was a old Toyota, banged up on every side. He told us to get into the back seat and take our packs because his trunk was full. On entering the car there was another guy asleep in the front seat. We could just about fit in the back seat. The door would not stay closed and he said that I would have to hold it shut. His friend awoke and offered us a drink from a bottle of booze. We declined. As we left the parking lot he swerved to miss a parked car I could just about hold the door closed. As we continued down the road he was from one side to the other ofter turning around to talk to us. Shepherd and I both thought that we would be in a accident before too long at the rate we were going. We approached a gas station and asked if we could get out. They stopped and we jumped out and they left in a cloud of dust.

fredmugs
01-25-2010, 18:23
October 2007 I was planning a SOBO section from Rockfish Gap to Troutville. I met a guy on here and we swapped cars so I was hiking back to my own vehicle. I didn't realize that the entire area had been under a drought all summer or that the temps in Oct would be in the upper 80s. As I was driving to my start point I rescued two hikers who were laying out in the road on VA 56. They had come down off the Priest but not on the AT. I picked them up and took them to the Dutch Haus.

I made it to the Dutch Haus no problem but then the heat and lack of water hit me. I had heat exhaustion and was forcing myself to eat. I don;t think I was eating 1,000 calories a day. I managed to get to the Johns Hollow shelter in 2 days from the Dutch Haus and I was hurting. The guy I swapped cars with was there and he said he had to get off the trail because of a death in the family. I told him lets go down to Hwy 501 and see if we can get a ride into town.

We hit the parking area on 501 and I looked up and said "Look, there's an RV." I stuck out my thumb and the guy stopped. We got in and found out he was a Canadien just driving around the US in a rental. He agreed to give us a ride out to the interstate but then we found out he was heading to the Smokies and he gave us a ride all the way back to my car. How F#$%ing lucky is that?

By the time I gave the other guy a ride back to his car at Rockfish I had receoved and we hit that Chinese Buffet in Waynesboro and tore it up.

Summit
01-26-2010, 14:18
Forgot to mention the 2 rides from "Born again" Christians who probably picked me up so they could proselytize. One was on US 58 east of Damascus; he picked me up around the Grayson Highlands entrance. The other wasn't literally a hitch. I was waiting to take AMTRAK from Harpers Ferry back to Cumberland after my C&O Canal bike ride and this guy asked me for directions and then subsequently offered me a ride. I greatly appreciated his gesture in that it saved me time and $$$

So sure enough, it didn't take long on either ride for the evangelizing to start. Now I'm not averse at all to talking religion and as a person of faith, I've read and studied much of the Bible. I like talking religion. But that wasn't good enough for these guys - I had to believe their way and use their language e.g. "born again" and "saved." Apparently my role was to listen to them, agree with them, and only talk if I used their language of affirmation.

What sort-of bothered me and also amused me was both of these guys displayed some ignorance of the very Scriptures they were pushing. I won't go into details here but suffice to say I (politely) raised some points that totally went over their head; their reactions indicated to me that they weren't familiar with the passages I cited even though they weren't some obsure Old Testament rant; they were from the Gospels.Unfortunately, there is a lot of bad witnessing by well-meaning Christians. My pastor speaks and warns of this quite frequently. Doesn't render the gospel wrong . . . just misrepresented, and certainly can and does do more harm than good!

Lucy Lulu
01-26-2010, 18:21
My stories pale in comparison to some of these, but they are some of the most memorable parts of my hikes.

1) On the AT, and picked up by 3 teens in a flatbead going into Andover, ME I believe. I sat in the back and held on to the spare tire chained to the cab for dear life. I swear we were on 2 wheels a couple of times. I leaped off at the first stop sign, and let them know what I thought of the ride.

2) On the PCT I headed down Jaw Bone Canyon Road (I believe that was the name) to get around a wildfire outside of Tehachapi, CA. The trail was closed, and I could see the smoke billowing upwards, so I headed down the dirt road. Hours later I was picked up by two native american (I think Piute) women at a crossroads right at dark. They were coming back from a 50 mile beer run. I crawled into an old pick-up filled with cigarettes and beer cans, was told to sit in the middle, hold the baby, pass the cigarette over, and hold on b/c there were no breaks. I believe we accelerated straight to Warp 8!

I was told they would take me back to "civilization the following day (it was around 9PM already when they picked me up). We went to the double wide they were moving in the dark b/c they did not want to get a permit, had dinner around midnight, and then I slept in another trailer on the floor covered by about 30 cats.

On the way up to Walker Pass the next day, there were flash floods, and we had to come back for another night. Sorry about the non hitching related details.

3) Got lost on the PCT outside of Quincy I think. Was picked up by Barbara Frost (age 86) after wandering onto her ranch (Stump Ranch), and taken into town in her brand new caddie (given a ride dependent on whether or not I was a repulican, and for that ride I was). She preceded to tell me how a year earlier she had shot a black bear with her assault rifle (had the skin w/head) after it broke through her "picture window" and demolished her kitchen to the tune of $11K. Not really a hitch I guess, but a very interesting ride for me.

4) On the CDT hitching into Reserve, NM. Picked up by an elderly gentleman in a truck and trailer. As I went to throw my pack in the back of the truck it began to drift forward. I screamed, to no avail, dropped the pack, and watch as the truck slowly drove over my poor old Osprey. The pack had a scuff, but that was it. The ride in was nerve racking as I watched him roll cigarettes and drive with his knees. He later told me he was an artist, and gave me a card. I looked him up on-line. His paintings were beautiful and pricey. I would never have guessed.

5) On the CDT near Encampment, WY I was picked up by 2 ranchers. I was given my own room in the ranch house, and made to feel a part of the family. I stayed a day and a half before hitching on to Boulder to meet friends.

I will hush now, but I could go on and on. In some cases, my hitches were the most memorable parts of my hikes. I met some wonderful, and colorful characters...oh, and on occasion had the ever living crap scared out of me!

Footslogger
01-30-2010, 11:57
The title says is all ...yeah, a bunch of us walked into a convenient store near Pulaski, VA for a microwave hamburger one hot afternoon. After finishing our mystery meat burgers we got back out on the road and decided to hitch back to the trail crossing. We had just about given up an resolved ourselves to tackle the uphill walk when a pick up trailing a boat pulled over to give us a ride. The bed of the truck had a hard cover on it but the driver offered us a ride in his boat, if we were willing. Naturally we all said "hell yeah" ...and the rest is history. I actually have a pic of this taken by another hiker but haven't gotten it scanned yet. Imagine the scene - - 4 nasty hikers sitting in the seats of a boat with trekking poles pointed upward and backpacks stacked in the middle.

Oh yeah ...and I forgot to mention that the drive was about 3-4 sheets to the wind. The boat fishtailed like crazy on that ride back up the hill. As happy as we all were to get the ride we were even happier to all hop out and get our feet back on solid ground again !!

'Slogger

Johnny Appleseed
02-01-2010, 00:43
I rode in the back of a wood chipper 3/4 loaded w/ wood chips. It was Shenandoah and there was a group of 5 of us all loaded in the back. It was my only slack pack.

I ended up paying for a hitch-it was back to trail days, and like a 45 min. drive from a really poor guy, so I gave him $15 in advance of the drive. Worked out great, despite being at his trailer for 2 hours looking at his animals he raises. He said I didn't know you wanted to leave yet...oh well That is part of the journey and thus not wasted time.

I was scared to hitch at first, and also concerned about not getting a ride. But only 1 time I waited over 1 hour. After 2 or three it is no prob.

wvgrinder
02-01-2010, 17:19
My most memorable was hitching into Robbinsville. A guy pulled up in what appeared to be a gremlin, pulling another car with a rope. When we got in he explained that the car he was driving didn't have reverse, and the car he was pulling, with his friend at the wheel, didn't have forword. So between the two of them, they got around. What a HOOT!!

CLASSIC!!! That's something you might see here in WV. :D

Cookerhiker
02-02-2010, 11:33
My stories pale in comparison to some of these, but they are some of the most memorable parts of my hikes....

Disagree with your self-assessment - you have some great stories and memorable experiences.:)

Lucy Lulu
02-02-2010, 12:22
That is true...thanks Cookerhiker.

bigcranky
02-02-2010, 18:26
Two favorites:

1. Ten years ago with my late hiking partner, at the little bridge where the AT crosses the Holston River. Early on a Saturday morning in the fall. First vehicle that passes by is a pickup truck with a couple of happy, half drunk deer hunters inside drinking long neck Buds. We got to ride in the back with the (very dead) deer.

2. Last fall, hiking with my wife south of Erwin, we decided to bail on the crappy weather. At Spivey Gap (I think), we had our thumbs out for at least thirty minutes with no luck at all. Pickup trucks, minivans, all kinds of vehicles passed by, but nobody stopped. Then a little sedan passes with four young guys and a dog inside, and they wave. And we wave. And they keep driving -- because they sure don't have room for us. Two minutes later here they come from the other direction. They pull in and ask where we want to go. They put two people on the front passenger seat, and cram us and the fourth passenger in the back with the dog, and off we go. We had an interesting conversation about the construction business in eastern Tennessee, and the social effects of meth. They dropped us at our car at Uncle Johnny's in Erwin in the pouring rain. Wouldn't take any gas money, just said to pay it forward. What a great ride.

Different Socks
02-03-2010, 01:22
Well this wasn't one of my most memorable, but it was one of the longest, if not the longest ride I ever got: Hitching at an onramp on I-80, several miles east of Sacramento. I had finished my hike on the PCT-CA a few days earlier. Hitched a ride from the Ashland, OR hostel to the AYH in downtown Sacramento. Several offers for rides to Reno/Lake Tahoe, but I declined b/c I heard hitching out of Reno was difficult and the cops don't like it.

Was about to give up and a guy pulls up and asks how far I am going. "Colorado", I answered. He says, "Hop in, I'm driving to Denver." That was about 8am and 12 hours later I was back in Carbondale, CO, before it even got dark. Guy drove 85--90, all the way thru Nevada. Nice guy too!

Different Socks
02-03-2010, 01:36
This one didn't happen to me while hiking, but it was quite memorable: Hitching south of Ashland, WI. Get picked up by a county cop. He takes me all the way to Drummond, my destination. Along the way he asks why I'm going there. I tell him I'm going to spend the weekend with my girlfriend. He asks for her last name b/c he says he probably knows her. I tell him and indeed, he does know her. Little did I know how well he knew her!

We arrive in Drummond and he takes me right to her door. Wow! I guess he really does know her. I get out of the cruiser and my girlfriend walks out the front door to greet me. She gets to the car, gives me a hug and a kiss, leans over, looks into the cruiser and says, "Hi dad."

"Hi dad?" Oh man, you've got to be kidding me.............what are the odds?

ShelterLeopard
02-03-2010, 11:22
This one didn't happen to me while hiking, but it was quite memorable: Hitching south of Ashland, WI. Get picked up by a county cop. He takes me all the way to Drummond, my destination. Along the way he asks why I'm going there. I tell him I'm going to spend the weekend with my girlfriend. He asks for her last name b/c he says he probably knows her. I tell him and indeed, he does know her. Little did I know how well he knew her!

We arrive in Drummond and he takes me right to her door. Wow! I guess he really does know her. I get out of the cruiser and my girlfriend walks out the front door to greet me. She gets to the car, gives me a hug and a kiss, leans over, looks into the cruiser and says, "Hi dad."

"Hi dad?" Oh man, you've got to be kidding me.............what are the odds?

Now that could turn into a frightening experience...

Andrea356
02-03-2010, 15:11
THese are great! My turn!

I was in Ghana with a friend (Scott) and we were traveling from Accra on the coast up to northern Ghana to see Mole National Park (elephants!). We were taking a rather roundabout way because we both like traveling by public transportation and getting to see a lot of the country. Anyway, we took a "bus" from Kumasi to this little town (where, I swear to God, literally EVERYONE was on a bicycle!) where we were supposed to connect with another bus to reach Tamale, the closest city to the reserve. Now, in GHana, buses are not run by the government, but are privately owned by individuals. YOu have a van or small bus, you put out a plaque saying where you are going in the market, and then, when the bus is full, you leave. So there aren't really any schedules. Sadly, when we arrived, the bus had already left and wouldn't be back for 2 days. Scott and I were discussing what to do, when a nice 30-ish man we'd chatted with earlier offered us a ride from his friend who was driving his truck up to Tamale in a few hours. We enthusiastically agreed, and all sat down to wait for his friend.

When his friend arrives, he's driving a smallish truck. There are 12 people, 2 goats, and a couple hundred pounds of miscellaneous luggage spread out around the truck and the truck bed and the only seat left is the front seat, which was evidently saved for our friend. When Scott and I offered to find another way, we were told there was plenty of room...which, apparently, there was. Scott was crammed into the 3-person back seat with 4 other rather large men, while I was esconsed between the driver and the passenger seat...and no, it wasn't a bench seat! I had the edge of my butt on both the fron seats, while the middle was hanging several inches over the center console. Even more interestingly, every time the driver shifted gear, I had to adjust my position because the gears were positioned between my knees. The driver (George) and I had quite a set gear-shift choreography down by the end of the 6 hour drive! OH, did I mention it was a 6 hour ride?!

However, this is not what made the hitch so memorable. About 2 hours out of Tamale in the middle of nowhere, at midnight, on an unlit road that the current rainy season had turned into a literal washboard, we got a flat tire. I'm still surprised, given the road, the overloaded truck, and the speed we were driving at that we didn't crash, but George, very slickly and with little swerving, managed to stop the truck without incident. Everyone piled out to look, and we were all relieved that, fortunately, we had a spare tire and some tools at the bottom of the gear piled in the truck bed. Unfortunately, we did not have a jack. So, after a brief discussion of tactics, we all started unloading everything in the car and piled it on the roadside. Then, George got out his tools and everyone lined up along the side of the truck. At the count of three, we lifted and HELD THE TRUCK UP while George took the tire off. We then put it down for a second while George got the spare ready, then lifted it AGAIN while he attached it. We then reloaded the truck, piled back into our respective "seats" and were in Tamale only 30 minutes behind schedule, at which time George insisted on dropping me and Scott off directly at our hostel before going home despite the fact that it was 2 in the morning. They wouldn't even take any money for gas or anything.

One thing I forgot to mention was that, this entire time, Michael Jackson's "Thriller" album was playing in the cassette disk, which I think added a certain je ne sais quoi. Every time I hear one of those songs, I can remember bumping down a pitch black road with a hot, dry breeze in my face, and, naturally, the night I became part of a human jack. Best. Hitch. Ever.