PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Rogers

The Weasel
09-04-2002, 14:35
Among my favorites, Mt. Rogers (about 30 miles or so north of Damascus) is special: It was winter in May - 15 degrees, and we had 1" of snow on the shelter table in the morning, the Monday after Trail Days! - but it was the wildest, most remote feeling so far. And coming out of the shelter to see the Grayson Highland ponies, in multiple herds, was delightful. They're mostly tame, and each mare had a new foal, as cute as foals should be. We chatted (I talked, they whinnied), and I kept going. That afternoon the temps were in the 70s. Everything the Trail should be, and often is, was there.

"Well a promise made, is a debt unpaid, and the Trail has its own stern code." -- Robert Service

SGT Rock
09-08-2002, 09:29
In May of 1997 I went to sleep near Mt Rogers (near the intersection of the AT and that horse trail) with a thunderstorm comming quickly. We figured it was better to hunker down now then to try and make the shelter in a thunderstorm.

It was a wild ride that night. It got VERY cold. The next morning there was 1/2" of ice on everything and freezing rain coming in sideways adding to that every minute. The fog was so thick you could only see about 5' in any direction. My partner got lost for 10 minutes from a bathroom break, we had to call back and forth for her to find the trail coming back.

Luckily I had insisted on bringing some long underwear, otherwise my partner would have been up $hit creek. It was a good learning event on how fast the weather can change and on being prepared. I loved the day and only wish I had brought a camera on that trip to show just how lovely the mountains looked.

I often hear stories about harsh weather hitting Mt Rogers and that area even late in the season. I guess that is why many veteran thru-hikers say to keep your cold weather clothing until Pearisburg, although in 1999 I was at that new shelter just north of Pearisburg with an ultralight guy who took that too far and froze his butt off in a fleece bag at 36 degrees in June.

Red Hat
02-19-2003, 19:23
I'm looking forward to Mount Rogers during my section hike this June. Can't wait! (I'll have my long johns just in case)

Lone Wolf
02-19-2003, 19:30
In case??

Lugnut
02-20-2003, 01:32
Feral ponies?

Lone Wolf
02-20-2003, 09:08
Originally she said "dog" just in case.

Lowgear
04-21-2003, 15:58
Mount Rogers is very unpredictable. Awoke on 3/30/03 to two inches of snow in the shelter and twelve inches outside. Wind blowing about thirty miles an hour. Hiked down to Elk Garden in blizzard conditions. Great experience. Would not trade it.

steve hiker
04-21-2003, 19:47
How about Mt. Rogers weather in fall/winter? If I start SOBO in July and don't burn up the trale there's a good chance I'll be there let's say, November.

Belew
11-29-2003, 12:21
How about Mt. Rogers weather in fall/winter? If I start SOBO in July and don't burn up the trale there's a good chance I'll be there let's say, November.
Steve,

I was there yesterday Nov. 28th. A light snow storm blew through. Damascus was rainy but a little higher up on Whitetop and Mt Rogers all snow. Ya never know about that place any time of the year though. I love it :jump

Belew

dgodwin7
12-14-2003, 01:21
I did a couple nights up in Grayson in December 2001. We left the parkinglot around 8pm in a slight mist. We ended up getting lost and taking the wrong trail. By the time we arrived at Thomas Knob Shelter it was 4:00 am and blowing heavy snow. We woke up to 3-4" of snow on the ground and all of our gear inside the shelter, including our boots, frozen solid. A CRAZY night to say the least - but one that I'll never forget. The area, including Mt. Rogers was beautiful though - just be prepared for crazy weather!

weathercarrot
12-25-2003, 20:21
Mount Rogers is a place I'd love to spend an entire winter. It is truely a different world up there, in many ways. This season they had already received around 50 inches of snow before winter officially began. Very much like portions of the northern New England lowlands (although Rogers with somewhat warmer winters and cooler summers). This came in from Heald regarding his Mount Rogers experience from more than two weeks ago (well before the 2-3 feet they got last week). Here is an excerpt:

"I have been planning my escape from town <damascus> for days now. No luck so far. The snowstorm that trapped me at Thomas Knob was full fledged. It went on for days with little pause. The highlands have seen a great deal of snow this fall it seems. 14' fell just while I struggeled thru. There was already a snowpack up there then. When I got to town it was still snowing up there, and the days that followed brought even more with little breaks. I think it's safe to say winter is here. Still it seems like average weather.
<snip>
When I fled from Thomas Knob into the seemingly endless storm a thick crust had formed on the snow. I had to bash my way thru the frozen drifts. The crust was like jagged glass......."

Patco
06-24-2004, 19:48
I've heard they herd up the ponies in SEP or OCT and auction off a few. What do the rest do during the winter? Can they survive the high country with the depths of snow mentioned above?

Alligator
06-24-2004, 20:18
I was up on Mt. Rogers about 3 years back in December. My buddy and I were hiking up to Thomas Knob Shelter. We missed a turn and ended up on one of the horse trails. Eventually, we intersected the AT, but instead of heading south towards Thomas Knob, we turned the wrong way and went north. It started getting dark and then it snowed, with the wind kicking up quite a bit. Sure enough, we ran into a pony in a low area just standing in the wind, minding its business. It was only when we got to the Fat Man Squeeze Tunnel that we realized we were heading the wrong direction. Turned around, but the pony was gone on the way back. We eventually made it to Thomas Knob Shelter. Anyway those ponies are pretty hardy beasts. Saw a bunch the next day with big shaggy coats.

Skyline
06-24-2004, 21:34
With a little luck, I plan on doing two or three days on the A.T. and other connecting trails in the High Country in July.

Almost every time I hike in the area (usually at least twice a year) I've seen a seepage (muddy area) on the A.T. just a few tenths south of Rhododendron Gap (well before Thomas Knob Shelter). I figure there must be a water source in the area, but despite some exploration I've never found it.

Does anyone know if there is such a source near where I'm speaking of, and if so, where is it in relation to the A.T.? Is it a reliable source? Is it corraled like some of the other springs in the High Country?

Groucho
06-24-2004, 22:11
Almost every time I hike in the area (usually at least twice a year) I've seen a seepage (muddy area) on the A.T. just a few tenths south of Rhododendron Gap (well before Thomas Knob Shelter). I figure there must be a water source in the area, but despite some exploration I've never found it.

Does anyone know if there is such a source near where I'm speaking of, and if so, where is it in relation to the A.T.? Is it a reliable source? Is it corraled like some of the other springs in the High Country?

I don't know about the seep, but there are several springs in the area, and one of them is fenced. At least it was about 12 years ago, the last time I was there.

The fenced spring is SSE or SE of Rhododendron Gap. Can't remember how far down it is, but if the fence is gone you might miss it. The fence keeps cattle and ponies out, but not deer or some other animals. There was an area near the spring for a 2 man tent.

Another spring is on the E side of Wilburn Ridge, the old AT route. It is usually muddied by cattle.

It has been a long time, so take this info with a grain of salt.

Skyline
06-25-2004, 10:51
Thanx Groucho,

I think the corraled spring about a tenth from the "old" A.T. -- about a mile from Rhododendron Gap on what is now the Pine Mt. Trail. I've camped near there too, but that's not what I'm thinking of.

Of course there is a fenced spring near Thomas Knob Shelter, but that's quite a way south of where I'm talking about.

I guess I'll just have to allow enough time to search for this spring, if it exists. Any other advice from anyone would be welcome.

jlb2012
06-25-2004, 10:57
This is a bit difficult to describe without a map but ...

about .1 south on the AT from the intersection of Pine Mtn. Tr. heading toward Thomas Knob you will observe some large campsites on the left. If you go left across those campsites about 80 yards you will reach a horse trail - go downhill maybe 20 yards and a second horse trail leaves to the left - go on the new horse trail 2 water bars then hang a right and follow a social trail down hill about 50 yards - you should then see a fenced in spring