PDA

View Full Version : Life List

Penn-J
01-23-2010, 09:27
The other night I decieded to take my "life list" from my head and put it on paper (I mean computer screen).
I compleated my AT thru-hike last year and know I want to have more adventures in the future! (I need to fill my bank account back up first though)
I was wondering what other folks here on White Blaze dream about doing.
Or have already done.
Thanks!

Penn-J
01-23-2010, 09:50
The other night I decieded to take my "life list" from my head and put it on paper (I mean computer screen).
I compleated my AT thru-hike last year and know I want to have more adventures in the future! (I need to fill my bank account back up first though)
I was wondering what other folks here on White Blaze dream about doing.
Or have already done.
Thanks!

jnanagardener
01-23-2010, 10:03
Nice post!

Already: hiked in Denali, Glacier, Yellowstone, Teton; fished the confluence of the Russian and Kenai Rivers in Alaska; driven the Blues Highway; got her to say "yes" on top of the Empire State Building (no, never saw those movies!)
Dream of: thru-hiking the AT; traveling to India, west Africa; teaching abroad

Lone Wolf
01-23-2010, 10:04
play a round of golf at Augusta National

Blissful
01-23-2010, 10:06
I'd love to do the AT SOBO = right now sectioning it. JMT. Wonderland trail. Maybe the PCT one day, though don't think hubby would let me.
Oversees trips to Israel / Egypt and England. Though I am getting a vision now to maybe be part of a group that goes to Haiti one day to do something, they're gonna need help for a long time.

Penn-J
01-23-2010, 10:43
Just a few of mine,
1. PCT
2. Annapurna Circut, Nepal
3.Trans America Trail on bike
4.National Parks Tour
5.Northern Forest Canue Trail
Ahh, dreaming is fun isn't it?:rolleyes:

healthymom
01-23-2010, 10:57
2011: thru hike AT w/ my son
2016: bike Ireland (I'd really love for my husband to come, but he probably won't)
2021: raft Nile
2026: hiking tour of Greece, taking in as many old temples as still exist
Dee
healthymom

srestrepo
01-23-2010, 12:21
nobo the AT
hike to basecamp on everest and stay there for a week
backpack through europe (all of it)
hike the trails up to macchu picchu

drive a lamborghini gallardo on the autobahn as fast as it will take me...
the last one isn't hiking related but, i still wanna do it...

Lyndz1989
01-23-2010, 12:40
I want to see as many of the National Parks as possible.
I'm only at 3.. So I have a big list.
I would love to hike the AT NOBO..
And also go to as many countries as possible.

johnnybgood
01-23-2010, 12:55
** Hike the AT going NOBO
** Hike the John Muir Trail
** Hike in our western national parks , Yellowstone , Grand Tetons, Yosemite just to name a few.

** Whitewater rafting the Colorado River.

Marta
01-23-2010, 14:26
I try to do something from The List every year.

The List itself is long and ever-changing. Hiking above the Arctic Circle in Scandinavia is near the top of the list right now.
Other things on The List:
*Hike all the trails in the GSMNP (working on this bit by bit)
*Visit a volcano
*Hike to Everest Base Camp
*Hike more named trails, from short ones (Art Loeb, BMT) to long ones (PCT, CDT)
*Bike around Quebec on the Route Vert
*Visit Australia and NZ
*Hike in Iceland

Things I've done that used to be on The List:
*Hike the AT
*Live in Russia for several years
*Take a train in Siberia
*See Pompeii
*Visit the Blue Grotto on Capri
*Hike the West Highland Way
*Hike the JMT
*Hike in the Alps
*Travel in China and SE Asia
*Build a cabin by hand and live in it
*Fly in an ultralight aircraft
*Bike around New England
*Ski in Colorado

Pringles
01-23-2010, 16:47
I have
Rafted the Grand Canyon (doing again this summer!)
Rafted the Middle Fork of the Salmon
Hiked the Teton Crest Trail
Kayaked on Lake Powell (and hiked in some slot canyons there)
Canoed the Missouri River through the White Cliffs Section (a relative had homesteaded near there and I wanted to see what it was really like)
Canoed 700 miles on an Arctic river (what a great way to enter Alaska!)
Canoe in the Boundary Waters
Kayak on Lake Superior (would like to do more)

I want to
Hike the AT (I have done 35%)
Visit all 50 states (49 down, Hawaii this summer!)
Hike the Superior Hiking Trail
Hike the Hadrian Wall Trail
See the Great Wall
Hike the Chilkoot Pass Trail
Canoe in the Everglades

cowpoke
01-23-2010, 17:27
Well....I always wanted to run the original marathon course...so while in Greece on Active Duty I set out and ran the course...or what I thought was the course...I don't speak or read Greek so the signs were challenging. On another deployment...while in Spain....thought it would be neat to "Run with the Bulls" in pomplona...took the train over from Barcelona...slept in the square and ran with the bulls one morning...well to be truthful...ran about 100 yds ahead of them...might be dumb but I ain't stupid. cheers

kombiguy
01-23-2010, 17:36
Sail around the world single-handed. Walk from Reindeer Depot, Canada to Tierra del Fuego. Dive the Andrea Doria.

Lone Wolf
01-23-2010, 17:58
i wanna drink beer outa rosie o'donnell's belly button

sbhikes
01-23-2010, 19:03
I hiked the Everest trek to Kala Patar, which is an 18000ft hill above base camp. I highly recommend it!

I would like to hike the Condor Trail. The Condor Trail is still in development.
I want to hike the PCT again. Sections, anyway. I want to live on the PCT when I'm older.
Maybe I'll try the AT.
Possibly the Arizona and Colorado Trails, too.

sam4msu
01-23-2010, 19:48

Man, that's a lot of beer LW!!!:D:D:D

Lone Wolf
01-23-2010, 21:14
Man, that's a lot of beer LW!!!:D:D:D

i've cut back on consumption. originally oprah was my choice

JAK
01-23-2010, 21:22
I want to kayak or canoe or sail to Isle Haut in the Bay of Fundy.
Its not Everest or anything, but it's there.
Every time I drive to the Fundy Footpath it's right there in front of me.

kayak karl
01-23-2010, 21:55
when my mom passed away in 93, she told me to do what i want now, tomorrow may never come.
last year i hiked. this year ill hike. and so on and so on. life is too short to make detailed plans.:)

Lone Wolf
01-23-2010, 22:02
do what i want now, tomorrow may never come.
life is too short to make detailed plans.:)

oh hell yeah. i know

fiddlehead
01-23-2010, 22:08
Take my kid down the Grand Canyon on a raft trip, then perhaps hike the AT or PCT with him (he's only 4 so this may take a while)
In the meantime, see him play on stage in a rock band (this is the total opposite of what my parents wished when I was his age)

double d
01-23-2010, 22:18
Before I'm 50, I want to thru-hike the big three, hike the Colorado trail and hike across Ireland, my grandparents homeland.

J5man
01-23-2010, 22:45
Things done on my list:
Visit Italy
Visit France
Meet a President (I met W a few years ago)

Things still on my list:
Hike in the Alps
Meet Shania Twain
Hot air ballon over the Blue Ridge Mountains.

AUhiker90
01-23-2010, 23:03
Triple crown
Eastern continental Trail
AT Forever!

kayak karl
01-23-2010, 23:35
Take my kid down the Grand Canyon on a raft trip, then perhaps hike the AT or PCT with him (he's only 4 so this may take a while)
In the meantime, see him play on stage in a rock band (this is the total opposite of what my parents wished when I was his age)
i remember the first time i camped with my dad, he don't remember. i remmember the first time i drove the car.he don't remember. i remember the first time i could not go on a weekend, because of a girl. he remembers that:) there is nothing better them father, son memories.,:sun

kythruhiker
01-23-2010, 23:41

I just threw-up a little bit in my throat, thanks.

My life list changes as my life evolves...too many trails to hike, rivers to kayak, too much life to live to list it all.

I was recently inspired by my father, dying of terminal cancer, who's always been a work as hard as possible for as long as possible, you'll have time to do that other stuff when you get old kinda guy. Needless to say, our ideologies have clashed from time to time through the course of our lives. He turned to me last week and said "Son, I reckon if you've got anything you want to do in life, and it doesn't hurt anyone, you better go do it while you've got the chance". Words I never thought I'd hear him speak.

Pootz
01-23-2010, 23:45

You are a sick man. LOL I can not think of anything more disgusting. I would rather lick a shelter floor clean or drink beer out of a hiking boot after it was filtered through a hikers sock.

Mt. Everest, PCT, CDT

kombiguy
01-24-2010, 00:27
Sail around the world single-handed. Walk from Reindeer Depot, Canada to Tierra del Fuego. Dive the Andrea Doria.

sbhikes
01-24-2010, 00:30
I was recently inspired by my father, dying of terminal cancer, who's always been a work as hard as possible for as long as possible, you'll have time to do that other stuff when you get old kinda guy. Needless to say, our ideologies have clashed from time to time through the course of our lives. He turned to me last week and said "Son, I reckon if you've got anything you want to do in life, and it doesn't hurt anyone, you better go do it while you've got the chance". Words I never thought I'd hear him speak.

That's the saddest story ever.

iamscottym
01-24-2010, 00:42
Accomplished:
Climb Grand Teton ('08)
Yellowstone NP ('08)
Olympic NP ('09)
Glacier NP ('09)
Wonderland Trail ('09)

Planned
Climb Denali (May '10)
Hike AT (June-Aug '10)
Climb Rainier (Sept '10)

Future
Climb the Eiger
Climb El Capitan
see the Australian Outback

folkshoesuz
01-24-2010, 00:50
hilarious!

jrwiesz
01-24-2010, 01:21
Witness my children reach self-actualization.

Witness my grandchild graduate college.

Witness the colonization of another planet.

Witness the discovery of another habitable solar system.

Witness humanity reach the realization, that science IS the candle in the dark.:sun

Assist, where possible, in attaining these goals.

My accomplishments: I'm still alive!

Walk on.

Bronk
01-24-2010, 02:35
I've always wanted to canoe the Mississippi from the headwaters down to the Gulf of Mexico.

chief
01-24-2010, 02:36
My dream in life was to have sexual relations with women from 75 different countries. Alas, only made it to 40. The other 35 countries were just too nasty and so were their women!

moon_whisperer
01-24-2010, 12:19
Climb all the 4000 footers in New England

Jim Adams
01-24-2010, 12:28
Need to make a new list...had a list of everything that I wanted to do before 50 y/o...made them all but skydiving.

geek

Jim Adams
01-24-2010, 12:38
To own my own house in the mountains...can't seem to accomplish this..everything else, all the other adventures have been sooooo easy!LOL

geek

Bags4266
01-24-2010, 13:51

LOL, too funny!:eek:

ClassicMagger
01-24-2010, 14:35
I'd love to get a great job offer that uses at least one of my degrees and be able to turn it down and not feel bad about it. Because I have better things to live for then a monkey suit.

takethisbread
01-24-2010, 17:11
See some stuff.
Help some folks
P

apudreamer
01-24-2010, 17:33
Have made it to 60 feet below sea level and 20,000 above under my own volition, paddled class V's, learned to ride a motorcycle, learned another language, visited 8 countries other than my own- mostly solo, got my house in the mountains, have a fantastic dog

Want to thru hike the AT, really explore the US, write a book, take trains from London to Beijing, drift down the pan-american highway, maybe go back and finish the additional c. 3,000 ft that I didn't with the 20,000, learn how to play an instrument or two- well, meet as many people as possible who share an understanding of simultaneously enjoying the vastness and minutia of the beauty of this life

If this list ever ceases generating I will know I am truly lost...

Johnny Appleseed
01-25-2010, 00:37
capadoccia, Turkey.

Brewerbob
10-23-2015, 09:24
Witness my children reach self-actualization.
Witness my grandchild graduate college.
Witness the colonization of another planet.
Witness the discovery of another habitable solar system.
Witness humanity reach the realization, that science IS the candle in the dark.:sun
Assist, where possible, in attaining these goals.
My accomplishments: I'm still alive!
Walk on.Very idealistic but not bad. I like the colonization and other inhabitable.

Before I'm 50, I want to thru-hike the big three, hike the Colorado trail and hike across Ireland, my grandparents homeland.As your post was 5 yrs ago, any progress? Ireland is on my list too.

I have
(and hiked in some slot canyons there)

I want to
Hike the AT (I have done 35%)
Visit all 50 states (49 down, Hawaii this summer!)
Hike the Superior Hiking Trail
Also on my list

I try to do something from The List every year.

The List itself is long and ever-changing. Hiking above the Arctic Circle in Scandinavia is near the top of the list right now.

Other things on The List:
*Hike all the trails in the GSMNP (working on this bit by bit)
*Visit Australia and NZ
*Hike in Iceland

Things I've done that used to be on The List:
*Build a cabin by hand and live in it
Why Scandinavia?

On my list.

What prompted this and why did you "come back"?

I want to see as many of the National Parks as possible.
I'm only at 3.. So I have a big list.
408 or is it 409 (if you include all of the monuments, battlefields, etc.). Visiting DC would net you at least 50 probably more. Actual parks aren't quite as many. I've got a head start on you (older) so I have more than 3. I'm in the process of collecting pins from all the ones I've visited. Need to do more visiting.

Just a few of mine,
3.Trans America Trail on bike
Another name for the Pan American?

I've always wanted to canoe the Mississippi from the headwaters down to the Gulf of Mexico.
Not on my list (have thought about it, too many other things on the list of higher priority) but that would be cool.

My list:
Countries: Italy, Ireland/Scotland, Iceland, New Zealand, Pan Amercian, Russia
Hikes: all the US long trails
Parks: Visit all of the National Parks when complete visit at least 1 state park in every state
Work: If I have to work, own a brewpub
Life: become a hobo so I can get all this plus more done

Venchka
10-23-2015, 11:04
Live long enough to...

Backpacking List:
Canadian Rocky Mountains Park complex.
More or less along the Continental Divide from Mt. Robson P.P. (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/mt_robson/), past The Rockwall (http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/bc/kootenay/activ/arrierepays-backcountry.aspx) and out through Mt. Assiniboine P.P. (http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/mt_assiniboine/)

Glacier N.P.
Here, there and everywhere. (https://www.hike734.com/trip/pitamakan-dawson-2014/) It's all good.

Wyoming.
Teton Crest Trail (http://backcountrypost.com/threads/tetons-indeed-doug-and-anita-tour-2015-part-1.5214/#post-61391), Yellowstone N.P., Wind River (http://backcountrypost.com/threads/titcomb-basin-fremont-peak-indian-basin-knifepoint-glacier-island-lake.5109/) and Bighorn Mountains (http://backcountrypost.com/threads/cpw-15-wilderness-basin.5153/#post-60791).

that should keep me busy and out of trouble for a little while.

Wayne

Coffee
10-23-2015, 13:28
Thru hike the long trails (PCT, AT, CDT)
Bicycle cross country
Spend a full summer in Alaska
Grand canyon rim-to-rim-to-rim in a day
Long Trail
Arizona Trail
Israel Trail
Te Araroa
Qualify for Boston marathon
Start running ultras, eventually complete Leadville 100

That's just off the top of my head - just including outdoor related items. I have others but they have nothing to do with hiking. I've hiked the JMT, Colorado Trail, a section hike of 1/3 of the PCT, several AT sections, Rim to Rim Grand Canyon, Foothills Trail, and spent two weeks in the Alps all in the past 27 months so I'm off to a good start.

Coffee
10-23-2015, 13:30

Good thing I read this thread after lunch ... oh wait a minute, I think I'm gonna puke now.

QHShowoman
10-23-2015, 13:36
I've kind of been developing my list as I go. It's not very long.

I've already done the Chilkoot Trail.
And this year, I hiked 70 miles of the Kungsleden in Sweden as part of the Fjallraven Classic (which I would totally do again and again).

I'd like to hike to Havasu and Mooney Falls.
I'd like to do the West Highland Way in Scotland.
I'd also like to attend the Banff Film Festival.
And in 3 years I am planning to do Everest Base Camp.

Shutterbug
10-23-2015, 13:41
My "Done That" list is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/j55650mug4isl6u/DoneThat.pdf?dl=0

Things yet to do:
Nile River Cruise -- December 2015
Climb Kilimanjaro -- 2016
Return to China -- 2016
Antarctica (The only continent I have not visited) -- 2017

colorado_rob
10-23-2015, 14:21
In no particular order, except the last one, which really should be first, my bucket list:

Hike the AT.... check! (as of 3 weeks ago)

Hike another long one or two

Climb as many mountains all over the world as possible... 300+ down, thousands more to go.

Climb The Seven Summits.... 5 down (Kili, Denali, Aconcagua, Elbrus, Kosciuszko, two to go Everest and Vinson).

Raise my kids.... check!

Enjoy my grandkids.... ongoing!

Oh yeah, repeating what LW said, play a round of golf at Augusta! Yes. Not likely though....

Hike until I die. Or just can't walk anymore. Then I'll Kayak until I die.

Not die for a couple/few more decades...

RockDoc
10-23-2015, 14:40
To quote Steve Martin, I want to be master of time, space and dimension, and then.....

I wanna go to Europe.

Datto
10-26-2015, 20:44
For those of you who have the West Highland Way in Scotland on your list -- it's a beautiful trail. The Scots are some of the most friendly people I've met in my travels. Just plain nice people. You would not believe how much socializing (and sometimes singing) I did at night with the Scottish locals in pubs and distilleries along the WHW. Very American friendly with fun loving people. Ft. William area is really nice at the northern terminus. The terrain of the WHW is relatively easy versus what you would find on the Appalachian Trail.

For those of you who have New Zealand on your list, that is, by far, the most beautiful country I've ever visited. I'd put that on the top of your list if you can afford it. Plus, the people are some of the most friendly and welcoming in the world. Just had a fantastic time for the several months I'd spent n New Zealand. Gorgeous scenery, very hiker oriented (many individual scenic hiker trails, nice people). It was one of the least expensive places I've ever visited once I got there va Air New Zealand (which was the best airline I've ever flown -- actually slept much of the way there the seats were so comfortable).

Datto

shelb
10-26-2015, 23:29
My mom took me to Paris in 2005, and she told me to do the Eiffel Tower on my own. Remembering that my husband had run out of money on a Choir European tour and was unable to afford to go to the Eiffel Tower, I decided to hold off and return some day with him. We plan to go for our 25th anniversary in 2017.

Since I haven't finished the A.T., finishing is another goal. I have about 1500 miles to go. Beginning in 2016, I plan to up my mileage to over 200 per year (part of the problem is the driving time...). Too many dear friends and relatives have passed on in the last few years, and I worry about my own mortality. I need to get this done!

Visit the Northern National Parks from the Dakotas West. I did see many of the South Western ones in 2014.

Retire and become a National Park Service Campground Host....then travel from park to park every month or so...

Truly - the biggest goals?
#1: To have my children (and someday grandchildren) value life and feel at peace with living (had two young people we know commit suicide this past month)
#2 - To live an average life expectancy (80 for females) without contracting Alzheimers. My mom has it; her mother had it, and my dad's sister had early onset. That scares the $#!t out of me.... If I need to get it, let me go way sooner ...

August W.
10-27-2015, 06:00
To do:

Continue to experience as many sunrises, sunsets, and shooting stars as possible from as many mountain ranges and desolate coastlines as I can get to.

Become at least half as great as my dog seems to think I am.