PDA

View Full Version : Feet Swelling

pod319
01-23-2010, 12:40
I have head that when hiking for a prolonged period of a time (which I am guessing is a week or more) your feet swell between a half and a whole shoe size.

My question is: Do you buy shoes that are to large for your feet, assuming that your feet will grow? or do you buy shoes that fit you and hope that they don't destroy your feet before you get to a town with an outfitter?

Also, if you buy larger than your feet, won't that increase the chance of foot problems?

sbhikes
01-23-2010, 13:32
It doesn't happen to everyone. It isn't just swelling. It's actual enlargement of your feet.

My feet enlarged in multiple ways. They grew longer and wider and the toes separated. They also grew beefier with increased muscle and thicker skin. They also swelled some when it was hot. The increased muscle and skin and the swelling subsided after the hike was over, of course, but I was left with larger feet. I ended up donating several shopping bags of shoes when I got home.

Footwear is very personal. I preferred to have the widest shoes possible and to wear them a couple of sizes too big with the laces as loose as possible. To prevent slipping around, I used a thin, unshaped rubber insole (ripped out of an old pair of running shoes) and light wool socks.

I chose to buy shoes along the way on my first attempt. The second time, I had a stack of shoes at home to be sent to me. By the third pair I was back to buying them as I went because they no longer fit.

I met several chronic long-distance hikers who described growing from size 11 to 13 and beyond.

garlic08
01-23-2010, 13:37
For me, it's more like "spreading out" or expanding. I never experienced "swelling", which to me connotes filling with fluid. That may happen to some, though.

Not everyone experiences this. It probaby depends on how much time you spent pounding your feet prior to the hike.

You probably don't want over-sized shoes, but if I had the choice I'd much rather have slightly large than slightly small.

They say your feet get larger during the day, so some say to try on new shoes later in the day.

I wasn't aware of this phenomenon on my first hike but it happened to me. I bought new shoes several times during the hike, attempting to find the right ones. About the fourth pair and 2000 miles later, I finally found them and have never changed brands since. Good luck finding yours.

BrianLe
01-23-2010, 13:40
I suggest that before committing to a really long (such as a thru-) hike that you do some increasingly lengthy shakedown trips. I.e., do a 50-mile trip, then go home and think about equipment and process. Then try a 100-mile trip.

My personal experience as a person that wears (wore?) a size 10 shoe was that I adapted comfortably to a shoe that's sized 11/11.5 (that's what the shoe says, gives both numbers). It's a little on the long size for me, but I got comfortable wearing this all the time, at home and on the trail.

Alternatively I might go for a shoe that's 1/2 size too big to start out and then either when it feels like time to replace the shoe or you find the shoe isn't working for you, get to an outfitter or shoe store and pick a replacement.

Blissful
01-24-2010, 21:55
Go with at least half size larger to start. (imo) May need to eventually increase to a full size.

George
01-24-2010, 22:05
I use very light shoes + use 3 sizes, or start with a larger size and more socks as your feet enlarge use less socks

Blissful
01-24-2010, 22:07
I use very light shoes + use 3 sizes, or start with a larger size and more socks as your feet enlarge use less socks

Boy more socks means less air to your feet and possible major blister issues, esp tenderfoot starting out. I'd go smaller size and increase as you need it.

gravy4601
01-24-2010, 22:15
do your feet decrese in size after the hike

Wise Old Owl
01-24-2010, 22:47
It doesn't happen to everyone. It isn't just swelling. It's actual enlargement of your feet.

My feet enlarged in multiple ways. They grew longer and wider and the toes separated. They also grew beefier with increased muscle and thicker skin. They also swelled some when it was hot. The increased muscle and skin and the swelling subsided after the hike was over, of course, but I was left with larger feet. I ended up donating several shopping bags of shoes when I got home.

Footwear is very personal. I preferred to have the widest shoes possible and to wear them a couple of sizes too big with the laces as loose as possible. To prevent slipping around, I used a thin, unshaped rubber insole (ripped out of an old pair of running shoes) and light wool socks.

I chose to buy shoes along the way on my first attempt. The second time, I had a stack of shoes at home to be sent to me. By the third pair I was back to buying them as I went because they no longer fit.

I met several chronic long-distance hikers who described growing from size 11 to 13 and beyond.

Yup that happened to me, and you know what the girls say about big feet?

Skidsteer
01-24-2010, 22:48
do your feet decrese in size after the hike

I suppose it varies some from person to person.

My shoe size has gone from 10.5 to 13 in the past 25 years while my bodyweight has remained more or less constant.

Wise Old Owl
01-24-2010, 22:48
Yup that happened to me, and you know what the girls say about big feet?

Big hands!:eek:

Nosmo
01-24-2010, 23:39

This is seriously bad news. My feet are monsters as they are. When I used to snow ski, I once had a clerk sarcastically comment that I could simply ski on my boots and leave the skis behind. :(

Datto
01-25-2010, 09:32
I have head that when hiking for a prolonged period of a time (which I am guessing is a week or more) your feet swell between a half and a whole shoe size.

In preparation for my AT thru-hike (hiking regularly) my feet went from street shoe size of 10.5 to hiking shoe size that finally topped out at 13 (with space for Spenco inserts also). Shoes were purchased at size 13 along the way (once I knew the correct size) and shipped to me from my maildrop support person (thanks again Karen). I saw many, many people along the AT who had shoes that were too small and were suffering from massive blisters on their feet. I too had a few blisters along the AT but that was mostly from my feet being constantly wet and the skin being soft and easily damaged rather than from shoes that didn't fit.

Completing the PCT this year, my feet are still at New Balance size 13 but I'm able to buy the shoes and Spenco inserts ahead of time prior to hiking -- I usually buy New Balance for the upcoming year right around New Years to get the best price deal since I know my feet won't change sizes when I hike. If my feet would have shrunk back down when I wasn't hiking and then grown back big, I wouldn't have been able to predict what shoe size to buy and so I would have had to purchase the shoes along a hike rather than ahead of time.

Also, I've switched from Smartwool type thick socks to now only using liner socks. Plus, the liner socks give me that chic Sha-Na-Na look that I was hoping for.

Datto

Spokes
01-25-2010, 13:33
I was lucky enough not to have any issues with swelling feet. I guess after years of running marathons and ultras my feet have expanded enough anyway.

As others have mentioned, the general rule of thumb seems to be to buy shoes a 1/2 size bigger.

BTW, you can reduce the chances of blisters with a little prevention- just soak your feet in a strong solution of warm tea twice a day about two weeks before your long hike. The tannins in the tea act as a wonderful astringent.

Good luck!

leaftye
01-25-2010, 13:36
Rubbing alcohol seems to do a decent job of drying the feet too. I'll try the tea thing though. Do you think epsom salts would do the same thing? I know many bodybuilders do a hot salt bath shortly before competing to dehydrate themselves. I think I shall give this a shot right now.

leaftye
01-25-2010, 14:24
That felt so good it should be a sin.

sbhikes
01-25-2010, 17:12
These pictures explain well what happens to your feet. Your feet may start out something like this:
http://img.skitch.com/20090505-pccgu9n3ijyhpribgu8h4b92j2.jpg

They will end up trying to be more like this:
http://img.skitch.com/20090505-k3pfpa6c7exbg14dk2xa9813q9.jpg

Lots of info here: http://nwfootankle.com

tzbrown
01-25-2010, 17:31
I started out as a 9.5, and after 10 years now need a size 11 wide.
If I am out for over 100 miles at a time. Short day hikes I can still use size 10.

It took me a long time to put it all together but finally I wised up.

Also the breathable membranes really do not pass out heat fast enough to keep my feet from sweating, and softening the skin.

Now I use fabric shoes in the summer, and no membrane leather in the winter.

leaftye
01-25-2010, 17:47
Also, I've switched from Smartwool type thick socks to now only using liner socks. Plus, the liner socks give me that chic Sha-Na-Na look that I was hoping for.

I do the same. Even when it's below freezing the liner socks are just fine.

fredmugs
01-25-2010, 18:46
Foot pain is why I rarely wear hiking boots anymore unless I know it is going to be very rainy and very muddy. Seems like I see more people in trail runners than boots anymore.

I wear regular Nike cross trainers with a wide width and laces tied loosely. I wear the cheap gray athletic socks that you can buy in a 6 pack. No more blisters. Foot pain only when I start getting up around 25 miles a day.

I did a section hike in PA once and the rocks busted up my feet so bad (with boots) that when I got back to my car I could not put my bare feet in my tennis shoes even after taking the laces out. I can still recall the pain. I still hate PA.

Dogwood
01-25-2010, 19:17
I have been know to say feet swell, and to some extent they can and do swell, but I think it more accurate to say, as Sbhikes and Garlic08 aptly point out, feet actually enlarge, and most often permanently, as one hikes. 4 yrs ago I wore size 12-12.5. Now I need 13-14 shoes. With 13.5 being the closest to the norm. But, 13.5 are almost non existent or very hard to locate for my type of feet.

My feet also went from looking like the top photo in Sbhikes second post to the lower photo in that post. I think previous to 4 yrs ago I ignorantly and largely abused my feet by not purchasing appropiate shoes for my kind of feet.

I'm one of those chronic obsessed long-distance hikers. I'm always on the lookout for hiking shoes in my sizes, that support my type feet, and are appropriate for my hike. 9 times out of 10 I don't find what I'm looking for. I think it worthwhile to find shoes, especially hiking shoes, that appropriately support your type of feet and hiking conditions.

Since most often I can't depend on finding shoes that fit right, and I think it so important for me, what I currently do for my long distance hikes is either start out with a slightly larger(size 14) and make up the SLIGHT size difference with heavier wt. socks which can be thicker or temporarily insert larger volume orthotics or I purchase two different sized hiking shoes with the smaller size for the start and the larger size reserved for when I think it's time for them. Understand though, not everyone has a hard time finding shoe sizes and appropriate fitting shoes as me so it may be easier for some to just buy hiking shoes along their hikes.

Spokes
01-25-2010, 19:38
Rubbing alcohol seems to do a decent job of drying the feet too. I'll try the tea thing though. Do you think epsom salts would do the same thing? I know many bodybuilders do a hot salt bath shortly before competing to dehydrate themselves. I think I shall give this a shot right now.

Glad you like the foot bath!

Warm tea soaks really do work and are recommended by podiatrists- not some wacky alternative medicine root doctor. Check out this article (http://www.podiatrytoday.com/article/291) in Podiatry Today regarding foot blister prevention for athletes which recommends tea soaks among other things.

Epsom Salt or Magnesium sulfate mixed as a paste has been used as an agent for dehydrating (drawing) boils, carbuncles, and abscesses. When used through soaking, can soothe muscle pains and help improve rough patches in the skin.