PDA

View Full Version : Families on the Trail?

KvPhoto
01-23-2010, 13:21
I am curious if there are many families on the trail, either as sectional or thru hikers. I have an 8 year old who really does enjoy hiking and being in the woods. I am thinking we would try to start doing some sectional hikes with her, 2 or 3 days at a time. Anyone have any experience with this? Would love some tips on best sections for shorter legs :)
Thanks!
Kristina

KTR
01-23-2010, 14:04
It is more common to see famlies out hiking on weekends or over holidays. But there are some who have hiked the entire AT, PCT and so on. You can read up on "Troll, Anchor & Oblivious" on Trail Journals. They hiked in 2005. Great family.

Many a hiker on here could tell you Im sure of hiking with or knowing of whole famlies that have hiked.

Best to you on your adventures!

modiyooch
01-23-2010, 14:19
My three kids grew up hiking the AT. They hiked from an early age until they got old enough to decline. Basically, IMO, any part of the trail is fine. If he were younger, I would suggest a section with streams and water. Don't underestimate those short legs. Worst case scenario is that it takes you longer to complete the section; but at his age, I don't expect that to happen. It's all about the process, anyway.

Chaco Taco
01-23-2010, 19:20
I am curious if there are many families on the trail, either as sectional or thru hikers. I have an 8 year old who really does enjoy hiking and being in the woods. I am thinking we would try to start doing some sectional hikes with her, 2 or 3 days at a time. Anyone have any experience with this? Would love some tips on best sections for shorter legs :)
Thanks!
Kristina
You must must must read the book "Zero Days". Its a couple with a 10-12 year old daughter and they hike the PCT. Really cool read.

bigcranky
01-23-2010, 19:43
There aren't a lot of families on the Trail, but they are out there. Eight years old is a perfect time to start section hiking. Choose interesting sections, don't overload the kid on gear, hike at a reasonable pace, bring good snacks (and a book and a stuffed animal), and have fun.

Our kid started backpacking at age 4, and from 8-12 she was very happy on the trail. Since then, not so much....

Deb
01-23-2010, 19:52
This family had its ups and downs on the AT:

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=281183

JustaTouron
01-23-2010, 19:57
Keep in mind kids are great in the woods, but are horrible at pacing themselves.

The same kid that at 10 am runs to the top of the hill, then runs back to you still plodding along, then back up to the top, then down again, is gonna want to stop or be carried at 3 pm.

One trick I found especially helpful, is one State park where I could basically string along a 7 mile trail to a campsite that circled the parking lot that never put us much more than a mile or so from the car. (yeah we were literally walking around in circles), we always managed to hike the entire 7 miles to our campsite on Saturday, but we often bailed about mile 3 coming home on Sunday.

Anther thing, is every kids that is old enough to walk can carry a backpack. For the little ones it might only have their favorite stuff animal and some snacks...more stuff as they get bigger. Adjusting the weight in the back can be used to adjust their activity level, a heavier pack means less darting off down every sided trail and behind every rock. A lighter pack means less "are we there yet, I am tired, can you carry me" So in general I wanted my kids to have something weighting them down in the morning (not too much they are kids, not pack mules) but less weight in the afternoon. I found having them carry the water bottles we were drinking from took care of this nicely.

Blissful
01-23-2010, 20:27
We started doing hikes with my son at age 10 (we carried him in a carrier when he was a baby to toddler). He did the trail with me at age 16.

modiyooch
01-23-2010, 20:29
We never carried a kid hiking over the age of 3.

We hiked the 14.6 miles miles south into Damascus when my kids were 2, 3 and 5. The 5 yr old hiked the whole way and was well organized . The 3 year old walked 75%. We started at 6PM the first night and hiked 2 miles and pitched. The next day we hiked 3 miles for lunch and naps, then finished 5 more miles for the day. Hiked into town the next day. It was slow going, but we had a blast. Beautiful and fun area for kids.
When they were 9, 10 & 12 they hiked the grand canyon with no problem.
They have been scrambled over mts their whole life. They enjoyed it and it's in their blood.

emerald
01-23-2010, 20:59
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4956877/k.82ED/Family_Hiking.htm (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4956877/k.82ED/Family_Hiking.htm)

wakapak
01-23-2010, 21:05
On my thru-hike in 02 there was a family doing the whole thing with two kids, i believe around the ages of 10 and 12. The parents let the kids set the miles for the day, and I remember the kids choosing to do bigger days then the parents sometimes wanted to! It definitely can be done!

emerald
01-23-2010, 21:09
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47245 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=47245)

Click above for a thread which links a Penn State Cooperative Extension article about teaching children nutrition and how to involve them in meal planning and preparation.

Bronk
01-24-2010, 06:32
This family had its ups and downs on the AT:

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=281183

Wow. That lady seemed to be sponging food off of other hikers every other day for the 100+ miles I read of her journal. You shouldn't be out there unless you are prepared to take care of yourself, much less take your children with you unprepared.

sasquatch2014
01-24-2010, 13:35
Another good read about a family and walking the the trail is a book called Walking North by Mic Lowther. This family did a NoBo thru with their 10 yro daughter. It was a good read.

JustaTouron
01-24-2010, 15:38
A couple of safety rules to consider....

1. I require my kids to have their whisle with them at all times (particularly when doing a night time pee) They are only allowed to blow it when they are lost or hurt. So far it has been used five times for real. And one time when it was used "for fun." He watched me and his siblings eat s'mores while we discussed the story of "The boy who called wolf." Never happened a second time. Only time they get smores is when we go camping. I let them get away with a whole of stuff when camping that their mom (nor me) would ever let them get away with at home, but if they can't follow my safety rules then I can't bring them camping.

2. When they were real little I would go with them for night time bathroom breaks, but once they got old enough not to need help the rule was: If it is dark out turn a flash light on that is in the tent and leave it hanging in the tent on until you return. I didn't really care if they also brought a flash light with them, but most of the time they did anyway. And they were not allowed to further away than from the tent then they could see the tent or the light inside the tent. For the most part this was not an issue and in fact they often peed too close to the tent for my liking. The boys never had an issue, but my daugher around 12ish, started not liking the idea that she needed to be able to see the tent if she went to pee after the sun came up. Her concern was if she could see the tent than me or her brothers could see her if we opened the door or looked thru the window. Once we assured her if she was out of the tent on a bathroom break nobody would peek, she was okay. Within about a year, she rationalized that if nobody was gonna peek there isn't any reason to walk very far and started peeing just as close as her brothers. (note: they could get away with breaking the don't pee too close to the tent rule b/c that wasn't a safety rule. breaking the don't go too far rule was a safety rule, although if my daugher did break the rule I would have had no way of knowing, it would have required peeking)

I have read several places that 90% of all hikers who get lost or seperated from their group it happens because they went for a bathroom break and couldn't find the way back. I don't know if it is a real stat or one made up. But I do know that 4 out of the 5 times my kids used the whistle for real, it was my kids not being able to find their way back from a daytime bathroom break (3 times my daugher; once one of my sons) The other time one of the kids tripped and skinned a knee.