PDA

View Full Version : One week hike from the UK

goonernumber1
01-23-2010, 15:38
Hello there, I'm looking for some advice.

I am interested in possibly one day doing a thru hike but figured it would be benefitial to do a 'one week taster' on the trail.

The problem is that I don't drive so will need to fly over from London, England to an airport that is near to an 'entrance' onto the trail so that I can get straight onto it. Then, my target needs to be within a week / 10 days away that is possibly near an airport or public transport links to an airport.

A bonus would be that the hike is a pretty one!!

Many thanks in advance.

J

cowpoke
01-23-2010, 17:07
You might consider flying into Atlanta and having Josh or Leigh from the Hiker Hostel (www.hikerhostel.com) meet you at the airport. They can shuttle you to Springer and pick you up at Unicoi Gap or Dick's Creek Gap. Check them out..have used them several times with only great things to say. Cheers and enjoy your walk.

goonernumber1
01-23-2010, 17:52
Thanks loads for the reply.

This does look like a good option.

Does anyone know what the distance is between Springer and Unicoi Gap / Creek Gap? Also what is the hike like??

Thanks again.

J

bigcranky
01-23-2010, 19:53
Starting at Springer is easy, as mentioned above. The Hiker Hostel will take very good care of you. Where you end is up to you. Unicoi Gap is only 50 miles from Springer. Dick's Creek Gap is 76 miles, if I recall correctly. Easy resupply at the 30 mile mark at Neels Gap. The HH will pick you up wherever you stop. Springer to DCG is a popular 1-week section hike.

Hiking in Georgia is fine. It's mostly wooded, so in summer it's shady and green (and it can be hot during the day.) In late winter, when the thru-hikers start, it's brown and there are no leaves on the trees, so you get good views from the ridgelines (and it can be quite cold.) There are some rock outcrops for good views, and a lot of climbing and descending short, steep hills. Plenty of other hikers out, especially in thru-hiker season, but you can get solitude if you want it.

If it were me, I would want to hike in early to mid-May. It will be pleasant weather, with lows in the 40s (F) and highs around 70, on average, though of course you'll want to check the 10-day forecast before you hit the trail. There will be fewer hikers, since the thru-hikers are gone and the summer hikers aren't out yet. Lots of spring wildflowers will be up, and there will be plenty of water in the springs and streams. Good hiking weather, for the most part, and you won't need serious winter gear.

Feral Bill
01-24-2010, 02:16
You could fly into New York and get to and from the trail at several points via train or bus. I believe Delaware Water Gap PA, Greenwood Lake NY, Harriman NY, Bear Mountain NY, and Pawling NY are viable choices. Maybe some New Jersey towns, as well. There's a chance of good air fares, too.

goonernumber1
01-24-2010, 05:41
Thanks so much for your replies.

This looks like something I may be able to do sooner rather than later!

Thanks again.

J