PDA

View Full Version : climbing katahdin

wyro
09-16-2004, 21:06
Looking for some input on climbing katahdin . I am camping in Baxter for two nights October 1 and 2 . I was thinking of staying at Roaring brook campground . This is my last high point in new England . I will be base camping . Was thinking off hiking up chimeny pond trail to one of these three trails . Either Saddle ,Cathedral or Dudley to reach the top of katahdin. for my descent I was think Knife edge to Helon Taylor back to roaring brook campground. also I would like some input on roaring brook . I want to stay in a shelter there . Have not made reservation yet . Can I call ahead to reserve a spot ? Also any suggestions on a shelter in that or another campground in Baxter ? thanks Wyro

Papa Bear
09-16-2004, 21:22
I suggest going up (via Chimney Pond) the Cathedral Trail. Very dramatic. Then depending on how you feel and the weather, go down via the Saddle (easiest) or if you feel strong (and the weather permits), go for the Knife Edge. Note that the Helon Taylor Trail, although technically easy, is very exposed and tiring. It's a couple of miles of boulders. We just did it last week on a sunny day. We were burned out by the bottom.

Don't know about reservations, but you will have better luck avoiding weekends. Call now and find out.

Pb