PDA

View Full Version : Sock Talk

McPick
01-24-2010, 00:22
While hiking the AT, I purchased numerous pairs of hiking socks. Wool, wool blends and silk. And while I only wore my thin silk socks at night, the others were sufficient, especially in the winter, early spring and late fall. However, during the hot summer, even while wearing my Vasque Breeze boots, my feet got hot. While restocking food supplies at a Wal-Box store somewhere along the AT, I searched the sock section to see if I could find a non-cotton sock that might be cooler. I found these... Dr. Scholl's Diabetes and Circulatory Health Crew Socks.

(From a retail web site...) Dr. Scholl's Diabetes and Circulatory Health Crew Socks are engineered to enhance circulation and provide dry use all day long. Featuring excellent moisture-wicking properties for maximum dryness and comfort. The DSM-9125 utilizes a non-binding top to improve circulation and to keep the legs unrestricted. The Diabetic Health Crew socks showcase non-irritating, smooth toe seam construction to provide added comfort in the toe area, while anti-Odor fabrication keeps your socks fresh.

The Dr. Scholl's Circulatory Health Crew socks are specifically treated with an antimicrobial agent that resists bacterial odors, even after repeated washings, allowing for long lasting use and wear wash after wash. A classic crew length provides mid-calf coverage while a 2-pack design provides great value. King Size (big & tall) is designed with extra length in the foot and leg for a custom fit and extra comfort.

Features include:
• Fabric Content: 51% Polyester, 41% Acrylic, 7% Nylon, 1% Spandex
•Non-Binding Top Allows For Better Circulation
•Non-Irritating Smooth Toe Seam
•Keeps Feet Drier
•Odor Resistant
•Made In The U.S.A.
•Accepted By The American Podiatric Medical Association
•Sold As A 2-Pack ( I think I paid $12 for the 2-Pack.)

I really like these socks. They are light, durable, comfortable, easy to wash and dry fast. They come in several styles (low cut, crew, etc.)Thankfully, for me, they come in size 12.5 to 14. Plus, the price is right. I still have all my other "hiking socks" and wear them in cooler weather. But in the heat of the late spring, summer and early fall, I'll wear these Dr. Scholl's socks every time!

danahy
01-24-2010, 01:06
McPick,

Exceedingly insightful about those socks. I have a tone of good ''hiking'' socks to keep my feet warm and let them breathe but I was wondering what socks I ought to wear during my hike in the summer...and those Circulatory Crew Socks sound divine in hot weather! I value my socks incredibly because I do have poor circulation so I am definitely going to look into the sucks you recommend! Thanks!

thelowend
01-24-2010, 02:23
i think i just found my liners for colder weather. thanks for sharing

fiddlehead
01-24-2010, 02:58
Cheap nylon socks work for me in the desert when it's hot.
You can pay the big bucks or you can pay $1 or 2.
Up to you of course.

leaftye
01-25-2010, 13:11
Good timing. I was about to order a bunch of liner socks!

Liner socks are pretty much all I wear anyway, even when the ground is frozen.

bartender
02-01-2010, 17:31
Yes! i will be purchasing liner socks! deduce the unpreventable blisters that will form on me feet! woooooo

climber2377
02-01-2010, 20:03
sound pretty good. i ll toss a few sheckles that way and see how they go. thanks for the heads up. i think i heard one thru hiker mention tough socks?? ever heard of these?? any insight if you have???

i too ask the question. what would macgyver do? and i sometimes find that i too am a fixer!

leaftye
02-01-2010, 20:56
Darntough socks? They make a mesh top sock that looks nice and cool, but expensive.

SMSP
08-10-2010, 14:50
Sounds like I will try a pair as well.

SMSP