PDA

View Full Version : Osprey Exos 58, Osprey Aether 60, or Granite Gear Nimbus Meridian

Rick500
01-24-2010, 14:03
I'm trying to decide between the following three packs.

Here are what I perceive as the pros and cons of each:

Exos 58
Pros: lightest of the three at 2 lbs. 8 oz. ...at least a full pound lighter than the other two
Cons: least padding; hardware looks delicate; belt is stitched to the pack rather than being able to move freely horizontally

Aether 60
Pros: most padding
Cons: heaviest of the three at 3 lb. 15 oz.

Nimbus Meridian
Pros: good amount of padding
Cons: Almost as heavy as the Aether; $40-$50 more than the others

Any advice? I plan on using the pack for hikes ranging from two to eight days. I'm trying to keep my base pack weight around 25 pounds.

Trying to decide if the extra half pound to pound of weight for the greater comfort of one of the two heavier packs is worth it. Ultimately, I know the answer is to try them all on with some weight in them and walk around for a while, but want to see if I'm missing any other important factors.

Secret Squirrel
01-24-2010, 15:42
I purchased the Osprey Exos 58 last year. After about 100 miles the metal frame that makes up the back support broke at the weld. Osprey repaired it quickly and I got good customer service. However, I am now too nervous to take this pack on any extended hikes. It is light, holds a lot, but as others have said, it may just not be sturdy enough.

I just purchased a Meridian Vapor. Smaller (3200 cu in), and a little heavier (3 lbs), but the construction seems to be much better better. And, it is very comfortable. Granite Gear recommends no more than 30 lbs for this pack, and I have decided that's the most I will ever need anyway.

My base weight is about 18 lbs (cold weather). That leaves about 12 pounds for food and water if I stuff it to the brim.

Don't know about the Aether 60.

rp1790
01-24-2010, 15:54
I used an Exos 58 for 9 weeks on the AT this year and for me it was excellent. Loved the pockets and ability to organise things. Even though it doesn't have the super size padding of some packs it was very comfortable. I was normally carrying around 33lbs and at one stage (smokies) close to 38, still comfortable.

The downside is that it's made ultralight and isn't as durable as some others. I'm not convinced it would have made it to the end if I had completed the thru hike. Also, the buckles are delicate and were always something I had to take care of. Not delicate in use but I was always super careful about "dropping" my pack on shelter floors or any hard surface. Basically the buckles are small and tough but brittle.

If you're not going to be hiking months at a time the durability thing isn't an issue and so long as you're aware of the buckles being a little delicate it's an awesome pack.

Chaco Taco
01-24-2010, 17:48
I'm trying to decide between the following three packs.

Here are what I perceive as the pros and cons of each:

Exos 58
Pros: lightest of the three at 2 lbs. 8 oz. ...at least a full pound lighter than the other two
Cons: least padding; hardware looks delicate; belt is stitched to the pack rather than being able to move freely horizontally

Aether 60
Pros: most padding
Cons: heaviest of the three at 3 lb. 15 oz.

Nimbus Meridian
Pros: good amount of padding
Cons: Almost as heavy as the Aether; $40-$50 more than the others

Any advice? I plan on using the pack for hikes ranging from two to eight days. I'm trying to keep my base pack weight around 25 pounds.

Trying to decide if the extra half pound to pound of weight for the greater comfort of one of the two heavier packs is worth it. Ultimately, I know the answer is to try them all on with some weight in them and walk around for a while, but want to see if I'm missing any other important factors.

I own a Nimbus Meridian. This pack is really nice. The paded back is great, you can change the shoulder straps if you want. I dont use the top on it. Its a bigger version of a Vapor Trail. I thought about getting a ULA pack but everytime I put my Nimbus on I love it more and more. My Nimbus weighs just about 3 pounds and holds all of my gear perfectly. I typically have a base of about 9 pounds.

Wags
01-24-2010, 23:34
i have an exos 58. it's super light and comfy and carries the 22 lbs i put into it just fine. the only little worry i have is the waistbelt buckle sometimes gets a little sticky. not that i'd ever worry about osprey's warrantee

FamilyGuy
01-24-2010, 23:45
Whichever one will carry all of your gear and fits you well.

I prefer the Nimbus Meridian, but again, it really comes down to fit.

skinewmexico
01-27-2010, 01:37
Exos didn't work for me (36" waist), hip belt would rotate and let the pack slide down onto my shoulders. Appears to work really well for my skinny buddy, and the hip pockets are where he can use them. Never really seen anyone find a Granite Gear that didn't work for them, and I thought they were on closeout a few places. I do like my ULA packs though.

Praha4
01-27-2010, 05:07
checkout Gregory packs

the Z55 and Z65 are both great packs for the money

buz
01-27-2010, 09:39
I have the Aether 75, and the fit of the waistbelt after doing the oven thing is really great, at least for me. Seemed gimmicky at the time, and I didn't get it done initially. Went back and got it done, fit was way better. If you don't use the lid, which I find useless, you save some weight without it.

Pack fit is somewhat like sleeping bag temp, what works for you, may not work for me. I would say if possible, try them on with weights in store if at all possible. Good luck.

rpenczek
01-27-2010, 09:42
Really really love my Nimbus Meridian. I have been using it for two years now. I have not used the other two packs you mention. You noted that the NM was $40 to $50 more. Check them out on sale at campmor right now, they are down to $119, that is $150 off list.

moytoy
01-27-2010, 09:58
Check them out on sale at campmor right now, they are down to $119, that is $150 off list.

Great deal but all they have left is small..bummer.

Rick500
01-27-2010, 10:24
Thanks for the advice, all.

This is one purchase I'm going to make through the local outfitter... they've been so good about spending time answering all my questions that I'd feel guilty about buying it through the 'net even if the price is better.

They also sell Gregory packs, so I'll take a look at those too.

Wheeler
01-27-2010, 12:34
Last summer on the PCT,my Exo's broke by Ashland,Ore. and osprey replaced it. The replacement broke in a different way soon after the Ore./Wash border.They gave me a different pack after that.Be careful bringing that pack on a thru.

Secret Squirrel
01-27-2010, 12:34
Who do you use in Lousiville? I am down there quite often.

johnnyblisters
01-27-2010, 12:48
I love my Osprey Exos 58. It's my first pack with pockets and a frame, so that was a huge step up! The pack is so much more comfortable than my previous granite gear packs and I'm very impressed with all the bells and whistles. And lifetime warranty? OHYEA

g8trh8tr
01-27-2010, 13:18
Easy choice...GG Nimbus Meridian.

Rick500
01-27-2010, 15:30
Who do you use in Lousiville? I am down there quite often.

Quest Outdoors at The Summit.

Chaco Taco
01-27-2010, 17:30
Easy choice...GG Nimbus Meridian.

Ha no doubt. I was going to go ULA but i just cant stay away from Granite Gear. Have a nimbus meridian and waiting on a Latitude Vapor

skinewmexico
01-28-2010, 00:35
Thanks for the advice, all.

This is one purchase I'm going to make through the local outfitter... they've been so good about spending time answering all my questions that I'd feel guilty about buying it through the 'net even if the price is better.

That is a very admirable thing to do.

pistol p
02-01-2010, 20:22
I have a Exos 58 and so far it seem to work good. I also have had a problem with the sticky waist belt buckle. I normally carry about 30lbs fully loaded. I normally put on 20 miles in a day and once in a while my shoulders will get a little sore, due to the thin padding. I do especially like the breathability of the back support. I will see how long it last this next summer. The storage in this pack is awesome, side zipper pockets, stretch front pocket, the lid is perfect for snacks, rain gear, and anything else you could think of.

I used a Granite Gear Alpine Vapor for a couple years and liked it a lot. It is the same thing as the Vapor Trail, but the material is thicker. The Granite Gear waist belts are quite comfortable. I needed extra storage so I ran with a hip pocket and a lid.

I am really wanting to try a ULA pack this fall.

skinewmexico
02-01-2010, 22:42
All good examples of packs not made in America. Oops, did I say that out loud?

handlebar
02-02-2010, 22:18
Wrong! Nimbus Meridian is made in USA. I've got one and it carries really well for me. I've had up to 70 lbs in it for trail crew sessions and while it was heavy, it certainly did a pretty good job of carrying the weight. I carried mine on the PCT and will carry it again on the CDT.

My advice to you is to try each of them loaded with the max weight you expect to carry and see which one fits you better and is more comfortable. When I tried the Osprey vs. Granite Gear, GG won hands down on the fit/comfort test.