PDA

View Full Version : Easy Access Down South

bredler
01-24-2010, 16:43
My friend are experienced hikers. We're planning a one week trip for spring break in the last week of Feb to the first week of March. We're looking at somewhere in GA/NC. We both hike about 17-22 mi/day so we're looking at about 125miles for this trip.

I've been looking at my Companion and there are plenty of places that look like good start/end points but I know from experience that getting to these places might prove more challenging.

Does anyone know of places that are fairly easy to get to/safe enough to stash a car for a week in that area? The best situation would be to keep the car someplace nearby the trailhead and catch a shuttle there and possibly get a shuttle back.

Thoughts?

bigcranky
01-24-2010, 16:47
You can park safely at Amicalola Falls SP in Georgia. It costs a couple of bucks, but you can leave the car there as long as you need. You can walk from the parking area to the top of Springer.

Other places with good parking: Neels Gap, Fontana Dam, the ranger station at Davenport Gap, Hot Springs, Erwin, Damacus, and Kincora Hostel. There are more, but that's just off the top of my head.

bredler
01-24-2010, 16:50
You can park safely at Amicalola Falls SP in Georgia. It costs a couple of bucks, but you can leave the car there as long as you need. You can walk from the parking area to the top of Springer.

Other places with good parking: Neels Gap, Fontana Dam, the ranger station at Davenport Gap, Hot Springs, Erwin, Damacus, and Kincora Hostel. There are more, but that's just off the top of my head.

I didn't even think of Kincora! Bob would probably even be cool with a shuttle. I'll check out the trails around there and give him a call!

Any other suggestions?

waywardfool
01-24-2010, 21:25
Davenport Gap might not be too good, depending on where you are coming from...work is still going on I-40 to clear that slide from the fall, and they had another slide at MM 7 this week. Makes it harder/slower to get to from NC side.

Blissful
01-24-2010, 22:04
Still fairly tough terrain down there for such high miles - like early GA, NC, Stecoah, etc. Not like SNP and other parts of VA - (not sure what your experience is). 19 E to Damascus though you could do that kind of higher miles.

scope
01-24-2010, 22:31
17-22 down here in GA doesn't sound like much fun. If you're doing 15 here you're doing good (unless you're a Phreak!). Amicalola is as good as any place to leave a car (except for daily fee), why don't you just leave from there and see how it goes. Shouldn't have a problem making Hiawassee (Dicks Creek Gap, last real road crossing in GA) and you can decide from there how far to go and make arrangements for a shuttle back at that time.

Ox97GaMe
01-25-2010, 13:36
If you arent too concerned about having the full amount of miles on the AT, and would consider other trails, then maybe doing a loop in the Smokies would be an option. You can park at any of the ranger stations or trail heads. From there, you can do any number of loop options to include the AT, the BMT, and/or the MST. It would require you to call the ranger station to get a backcountry permit, but the park is pretty spectacular hiking.