PDA

View Full Version : Eureka sleeping bags

davidb308
01-24-2010, 16:49
Has anyone ever tried them? i found one for 90 dollars and it looks pretty nice on the internet. its got a 15 degree temp rating and its down, not synthetic. i just think thats really cheap for what it is.

Toolshed
01-24-2010, 17:04
What model are you looking at. Eureka isn't really known for making sleeping bags. More for MOR backpacking and family camping tents.
I would imagine their bags are probably made in the same or similar factory as Campmor or Kelty.
Things you need to look for with a 15d down bag are the fill weight (probably is 550, but higher is always more expensive), draft tubes, baffle design (doe the seams go through the bag or is it a bag within a bag construction to avoid cold spots...)
All in all, you're 18 and probably with limited funds -I'd go with a down bag over a synth. Even my 1991 Campmor down bags are still going strong, though they now leak down more frequently. I honestly think well cared for down bags outlast synth. You might find the bag is really only comfortable to 25 or 30 degrees, but it is only with trial and error.

One thing to consider - this might be a closeout from 2007 or 08, therefore it has been packed very tightly all this time - That might have a negative effect on the loft you would now get.

Tuckahoe
01-24-2010, 17:55
I use the Eureka Casper model and am very pleased with it. Weight is just about 3 pounds and compresses down to 8.5"x12.5" inches.

There are better bags out there but I was happy with the quality of the bag at the price that I paid.

Highstepper
01-24-2010, 18:11
I use the Eureka Casper model and am very pleased with it. Weight is just about 3 pounds and compresses down to 8.5"x12.5" inches.

There are better bags out there but I was happy with the quality of the bag at the price that I paid.

Ditto....great bag for the money. I've never used it any colder than about 30 degrees and but I stayed warm.

BTW....It comes with a nice compression sack but the insulation is synthetic instead of down

finskie
01-25-2010, 22:08
i'm considering buying the casper model right now... looks like good bang for buck.

Blissful
01-26-2010, 20:12
You get what you pay for.
Heavy bag and likely not the temp rating it boasts.
I've heard better things about the Campmor down bags for the budget conscience.

Tuckahoe
01-26-2010, 20:25
Any real experience with this Eureka bag? or just repeating what you heard?

johnnybgood
01-26-2010, 20:51
More of a starter bag for those new to backpacking and not wanting to initially spend a ton of money on gear only to find out later that sleeping in the woods ain't for them.

I'd say its probably fine as a 3 season bag as long as the temps stay above 30 degrees and you're not a cold sleeper.

Try moving up to what most including myself consider a darn good 20* bag for $119 and it can be ordered on-line at www.campmor.com (http://www.campmor.com) .

Toolshed
01-26-2010, 20:58
Any real experience with this Eureka bag? or just repeating what you heard? Don't know if you are referring to Bliss or me, but I sold them for a few years and had them returned a few times. I outfitted my pack with cheap Eureka synth bags which they have used over the last 3 years, including my son.

I'll admit I have never seen a Eureka down sleeping bag in the states - They do make several E-Lite models in Europe, but I think Johnson runs them out of their Jack Wolfskin Subsidiary. but knowing their lower end synth construction, it wouldn't surprise me if a down bag in the states was a bit over-rated and made with lower end materials for that price. Probably at the same scale as the low end Campmor down bags.
I would like to know the model, because I know it isn't the Casper, Cimarron, Silver City or Copper River.

Tuckahoe
01-26-2010, 21:24
Hey Toolshed,

Probably should type slower and think faster sometimes. I was also being a bit snarky when responding to Bliss. OP was refering to a Eureka down filled and I was talking about the Casper which is a synthetic fill so I was thinking about synthetic in this thread. So again, I should slow down and think faster...

However I believe do believe that the Casper is a fine sleeping bags for its price and has worked out very well for me without any complaints.

skinewmexico
01-27-2010, 01:23
I'd spend $10 more and get the Luxurylite on closeout. I had one of their underfilled models and did fine at 25.

Doughnut
01-27-2010, 06:38
david,
I use a Eureka Silver City for summer camping. Supposedly it's a 35* bag, light stands up to my sleeping in it, does everything a 35* bag should.... No complaints,

doughNut

psyculman
01-27-2010, 07:02
I have a Eureka Eagle Point -15 deg bag, $70. It is indeed warm! But it is also as big as an oil drum when compressed, and is about 6 lb. Not for backpacking!