PDA

View Full Version : i need a pack

left turn
01-24-2010, 17:38
i need a pack that will support long trips up to weeks at a time. most of my packs are external frame pack. they are nice but i feel like i can't get enough packed in to them for the trips i take. i'm always having to cut something out to have a good fit for my pack.

will an internal frame pack help out with being able to pack more gear for longer trips?

what are some of the cons and the pros between the two? what type do you guys use? what brand will be a good brand to get?

Chaco Taco
01-24-2010, 17:41
Granite Gear is a good route for a first pack. Alot of them are onsale right if you look in the right place. Mast General store has some on sale here in Asheville and may have the same in Boone

left turn
01-24-2010, 17:52
Granite Gear is a good route for a first pack. Alot of them are onsale right if you look in the right place. Mast General store has some on sale here in Asheville and may have the same in Boone

i have two packs, i just trying to figure out if i'll be better off with a internal frame pack or an external frame pack. i just feel like i can't fit enough gear in my eternal frame packs

Pacific Tortuga
01-24-2010, 18:01
Do not know of anyone looking to hike like a sherpa, but know some out there do.
Gregory Danali Pro or Whitney?
Can't see Granit Gear as a good choice.

Skidsteer
01-24-2010, 18:13
i need a pack that will support long trips up to weeks at a time. most of my packs are external frame pack. they are nice but i feel like i can't get enough packed in to them for the trips i take. i'm always having to cut something out to have a good fit for my pack.

will an internal frame pack help out with being able to pack more gear for longer trips?

what are some of the cons and the pros between the two? what type do you guys use? what brand will be a good brand to get?

It depends on how big your external frame pack is. Many people swear by them for heavy loads but the tradeoff is balance in tricky terrain.

How big a load do you carry? I've got a Gregory Shasta I'll let you have cheap.

stranger
01-24-2010, 18:40
It depends on weight, and it sounds like you may be carrying substantial loads just by your comments...

If you are indeed carrying 40+ pounds I would strongly advise going with something like a Gregory, like it or not, nothing will carry weight better than a Gregory when push comes to shove.

Not the lightest that's for sure, but the best I've ever seen in terms of sheer weight transfer and their fit is one of the best in the world as well.

If you get your pack weight down, then Granite Gear and Osprey might be worth a look, but if you are heavy then consider a Gregory, something like a Palisade or larger should be plenty.

sbhikes
01-24-2010, 18:47
If you can't fit enough into an external frame pack, it sounds like you are carrying way too much, or else your stuff is way too bulky. Can you replace bulky items with things that pack smaller?

gravy4601
01-24-2010, 19:32
bring all your stuff to your local outfitter and find a pack that will hold it i use a 65L pack for summer and 85L for winter or when i'm bringing all the kids gear also my 85L is way huge

left turn
01-24-2010, 19:38
If you can't fit enough into an external frame pack, it sounds like you are carrying way too much, or else your stuff is way too bulky. Can you replace bulky items with things that pack smaller?

i'm carrying a good amount, but it's all gear i need, so i need something that's' gonna hold enough gear.

my packs i have now are good for 3-4 days, in the winter that is cut down to 2 days. i need something that can hold more gear for trips weeks or longer.

prain4u
01-24-2010, 20:55
Two questions: 1) What is the brand/size of your current external frame pack? 2) What are you carrying in your pack?

I am having trouble envisioning how the typical EXTERNAL frame pack would not be large enough for you. It would seem that either you have a fairly small pack or you have a lot more gear than most folks would consider necessary (But, to each their own. Hike Your Own Hike).

For what it is worth, instead of spending money on on new pack--you might be better off spending some time and money "downsizing" the contents of your pack. Some ideas:

1. Do a good gear shakedown and eliminate things that most people would say are unnecessary or "extra". (There is a lot of gear list advice available on WhiteBlaze)

2. Try to obtain some different gear that weighs less and/or has less volume and bulk. I have been doing this in recent years and it is AMAZING how much weight and space you can save if you make that your goal. As I get older, I appreciate carrying less weight and less volume. I have switched to clothing that takes up less room in the pack--but is more comfortable and more useful on the trail. I have reduced the size of my stove and cooking items. Fifteen years ago, my tent weighed around 7 pounds. Today, my hammock is less than 2 lbs. (If I camp with just my 11' X 10' tarp--my shelter weighs about 20 oz.).

3. Take a good look at how you are packing things. Perhaps there are some ways to carry the same amount--but in less space. Are you compressing everything that you can compress? Sleeping bags and clothing can be made pretty small if you compress the air out of them. You can carry collapsible water containers. I place some items inside of other items in order to have no empty spaces in my pack. (Example: I carry my stove and all of my cooking items inside my cooking pot).

Here are some of the larger packs out there:

Osprey Argon 110 (6700-7100 cubic inches)
http://www.campsaver.com/ItemMatrix.asp?GroupCode=osp0001&MatrixType=1

Mountain Hardware BMG (6200 cubic inches)
http://www.campsaver.com/ItemMatrix.asp?GroupCode=mth0120&MatrixType=1

Gregory Denali Pro 105 (6100-7000 cubic inches):
http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/GRE0027/Gregory-Denali-Pro-105-Backpack-6100-7000cu-in.html

JANND Goliath Expedition Pack (9394 cubic inches). I know nothing about this pack.
http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FHIF

Blissful
01-24-2010, 22:00
On gear for long trips, less is more.
Get your gear figured out first. Look up threads and forums for that.
Get pack last.

apudreamer
01-24-2010, 22:15
Do not know of anyone looking to hike like a sherpa, but know some out there do.
Gregory Danali Pro or Whitney?
Can't see Granit Gear as a good choice.

I took my Whitney up the majority of Aconcagua in Argentina (with a lot of gear). The thing is amazingly comfortable, though can take on a bit of a turtle shape. The most I carried in it as 72 pounds one day going down steep scree from 19,000ft to 14,000. My knees had a bit of a rough day, but the rest of me held up great. Great pack!

Shadowman
01-24-2010, 22:31
The first time I hiked the AT I used a Kelty Super Tioga external into which I threw everthing. The Second time I used a High Sierra 55-65 liter internal and had to downsize a few items by getting a more compactable sleeping pad, weeded out the water filter, less clothing, etc.. On both my hikes I stayed out for ten days straight two times with no problems. Good Luck.

sunnysports.com has some good buys if you are comparison shopping.

Feral Bill
01-24-2010, 23:00
For a big internal, take a look at Mystery Ranch. In used, look at a Dana Terraplane or Astral Plane, depending on how crazy large your load is. That said, a big external ought to work if you are not on difficult terrain, skiing, climbing, etc.

Lone Wolf
01-24-2010, 23:08

ULA Catalyst. me and Nean hike with this pack. best pack out there. right now

Alligator
01-24-2010, 23:22
Arc'teryx makes some big packs as well.

Grits
01-24-2010, 23:46
Mast Store uptown I saw has some Deuter ACT lite 65+10 that is a great 3 lb pack and some Granite Gear Packs and that you might like. Footsloggers has some good packs as well and are good outfitters.

traildust
01-25-2010, 00:00
Arc'teryx makes some big packs as well.

Bora 80 does a great job. Carried enough for 5 to 6 days.

take-a-knee
01-25-2010, 07:47
ULA Catalyst. me and Nean hike with this pack. best pack out there. right now

+1 on the Catalyst. If you are determined to carry over 40# then a Gregory Makalu Pro is the lightest pack that'll carry 50# plus.

sbhikes
01-25-2010, 16:30
I take almost the same amount of gear for a short trip as for a long one. The only difference really is how much food and whether I carry a journal and town clothes.

Seriously, take prain4u's advice above. If you don't want to lighten up your things, try to figure out if you can pack them differently. For example, if you put things in stuff sacks, you get a lot of round shapes. Then you end up with a lot of extra space that can't be filled. If you just stuff things in, they can fill in the nooks and crannies.

Another thing I have found useful are heavy-duty compression bags like you get for packing a suitcase. You stuff your clothing or sleeping bag in there and then squeeze out the air. You can get a different shape that is a lot smaller than a stuff sack. I was able to carry a huge, bulky sleeping bag in an undersized pack this way.

left turn
01-25-2010, 21:19
On gear for long trips, less is more.
Get your gear figured out first. Look up threads and forums for that.
Get pack last.

well my fiancee comes with me and she has her own pack but can only carry so much, so i need a larger pack to accommodate extra gear. i usually end up leaving some of my things behind because of room issues. so a bigger pack will help with this issue.

when i am by myself or others who can carry all of their gear i use my regular pack.

Hooch
01-25-2010, 21:54
ULA Catalyst. me and Nean hike with this pack. best pack out there. right nowAgree with this 110%. My pack of choice as well.

Arc'teryx makes some big packs as well.You forgot heavy and overpriced.

Chaco Taco
01-28-2010, 08:36
Hey Left Turn, Im down here in AVL and have 2 packs that may meet your needs. What are your specs, how tall, waist size? You can PM me if you would like.

mister krabs
01-28-2010, 09:31
Sounds like you have the opposite problem of most around here. There are lots of folks on this board that have larger packs tin their closets that do not get used anymore. Post a big pack wanted message on the gear buying forum and I'll bet you can find anything you want. A lightly used Gregory would be my pick for value and comfort. I still love my 10 year old reality and I use it in the exact circumstance that you need one for.