PDA

View Full Version : Va. Section Hike

rainmaker
09-16-2004, 22:21
Granny and I will head out next Friday to begin the first part of our section hike from Va. 621 to rockfish Gap. Considering the weather lately, are there any problems out there we should be aware of ? I assume water will not be a problem. Thanks.

bailyrosco
09-17-2004, 06:08
Water will not be a problem. A toertial downpour from Ivan will drop about 7 inches of rain, high winds and major flooding is being called for. It could stall south of there but I don't think it will this time.

orangebug
09-17-2004, 06:39
I did that section a bit after Floyd flooded SE VA and Eastern NC. While there, I was between another hurricane and a cold front one night, just south of Tar Jacket Ridge (think that's the name). It was a very interesting night with the wind and rain, my brand new Nomad inhaling and exhaling as the wind shifted. After I brought the vestibule flap in and tied it to my sleeping bag, I got a few hours of sleep.

Avoid sleeping on Cedar Cliffs if the wind is high. Have a fun trip.

Bill...

chknfngrs
09-17-2004, 09:48
Blowdowns are the only thing I believe would mar your path and make for a grueling leg of your section hike.

rainmaker
09-21-2004, 22:28
Oh Well ... Maybe next year !
Granny and I were looking forward to beginning our annual section hike this weekend. Unfortunately while participating in the MS 150 last weekend, Granny was hit by a drunk motorist in Camden, S.C. She now has a metal plate and some screws in her pelvis . She is expected to fully recover in about three months. Her bicycle will not recover. Nevertheless, thanks to all who responded to my post. Happy hiking.

Dances with Mice
09-21-2004, 23:27
OH NO!

I've made the 'thigh bone through the hip pocket' shot before, with the accompanying Physical Torture (...aka Therapy...) and lessons in Remedial Walking afterwards. That is seriously no fun. It's graduation day when you turn in the "Handicap Parking" sticker.

Good luck to you all. 17 months after my accident I was able to run the Peachtree 10K roadrace, but my rehab almost cost me a marriage. There's major stress for all, more than enough to share. Of the types of support you can provide your patient, physical support is the easiest.