PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Locations-Favor from the reseachers and admin's here

MedicineMan
01-25-2010, 01:18
Maybe it is already out there and I can't find it, but I'd like a concise list of all the memorials on the AT either NoBo or SoBo....or a link to where it is. Maybe if it doesn't already exist it should and in the articles here at WB.THANKS!

Egads
01-25-2010, 07:33
Not sure if this is the direction you are going... This is the Meredith Emerson Memorial is on the blue blaze side trail to the Byron Reese parking area

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=21235&catid=member&orderby=title&direction=ASC&imageuser=5513&cutoffdate=-1

Spokes
01-25-2010, 13:41
Medicine Man it would be helpful to frame this a little better and define exactly what you mean by a "Memorial".

In other words, does a "dedicated" foot bridge count? If a shelter is marked "In Memory" to someone would that count as well?

The devil's in the details you know............

Hikes in Rain
01-25-2010, 13:47
There's the Wade Sutton memorial right on the Trail several miles after leaving Wessor. The Shelton Graves and a few others are up on the Southern Balds, too. I'm not sure those fit the definition, though.

Jack Tarlin
01-25-2010, 17:34
If you really need an answer to this, especially as regards permenent memorial markers on or immediately adjacent to the Trail, I'd ask Laurie Potteiger at the A.T.C.

Kerosene
01-25-2010, 18:52
I was surprised by the number of gravesites/memorials between Max Patch and the waterfall just north of Devil Fork Gap/Rector Laurel Road:

Grave south of Deer Park Mountain Shelter
Memorial on ridgeline south of Spring Mountain Shelter
Shelton Graves
Graves about a quarter-mile north of Rector Laurel Road

MedicineMan
01-25-2010, 23:28
I was thinking more like what Kerosene posted, not shelters. I guess the goal is that possibly you could miss a memorial if you didn't know it was there...fog, in a hurry, etc. The memorials at least to me are a big part of the trail; but for people who are just now discovering the AT it might be of interest, motivation-example the Murphy Memorial was especially interesting to me and led to more research on Audy.....

MedicineMan
01-25-2010, 23:53
Just says Jack's response. I don't need to know, as mentioned it is just a curiosity and something I think might be of interest to others; but contacting laurie is an excellent idea.

Rain Man
01-26-2010, 11:56
I both saw memorials (such as headstones) and missed memorials completely (which saddened me). I "enjoyed" seeing Howard Bassett's memorial, after reading his account of his thru-hike in the two volume set "Hiking the Appalachian Trail."

But I'm curious, what would be a NOBO memorial and not a SOBO memorial, and vice versa? Since you say you want both NOBO and SOBO memorials?

Rain:sunMan

MedicineMan
01-26-2010, 23:18
nah, didn't matter NoBo or SoBo,just a list.

rickb
01-27-2010, 20:34
There a number of rather permanent personal memorials as well.

Just across the outlet to Gentian Pond is one such, though I have long forgotten the story behind it.

Off the trail you sometimes find others left by friends and family.

GrubbyJohn
01-28-2010, 00:04
i found a small monument to a hiker off the brp just a small stone on top of a hill.. something like if i could build a road to heaven i'd hike there to see ya or something like that and his hat was there...

emerald
01-28-2010, 00:14
There are several monuments erected by BMECC in the 1920s and 1930s known locally as markers recognizing the contributions of early trail builders and also historical markers now on NPS A.T. corridor lands and/or state-owned land which protects the trail.

I'm not certain whether these would be included in the request, but would be happy to list them if someone wishes.

Heavy G
04-28-2010, 14:11
There is one between rt.225 and Peter's MTn Shelter in PA. If I remember correctly it is on the south facing side of the power line clearance. If I remember correctly, it was for a geologist and backpacking enthusiast.