PDA

View Full Version : Ocala NF Clean Up Day.

omegaman13
01-25-2010, 01:41
About 1800 signed up for the Disney "Give a Day Get a Day" thing at the Ocala NF on Sat. I don't know how many people actually came, but usually since 2007 they've averaged about 200 a year so even if only half of the people showed up we still had a huge turnout.

I met up at the Altoona meeting spot in the Southern part of the forest. It seems that that the Silver Springs spot had the higher turnout of the two. The USFS people were super nice and even with their limited funding had enough volunteers(including their own wives and family members) helping out to make things go smoother.

I got assigned to a road right by Wandering Wiregrass/Lake Dorr. Me and my family did about a 2 mile stretch of dirt road(I think it was 572/60something). We packed up about 15-20 full compactor trash bags full of trash. 90% was beer bottles, the other stuff was shotgun shells, tires, boats(yes.....boats), dirty diapers, deer carcasses, bikes, and more beer bottles. It made me have a temporary grudge against hunters, that's for sure.

Anyone else show up?

BumpJumper
01-25-2010, 18:36
I would have had I known about this. Next event, post it for us ahead of time. Thanks for cleaning it up though.

Knocky
05-31-2010, 08:46
It made me have a temporary grudge against hunters, that's for sure.

just the hunters? Not the persons with babies, boats and old tires? :rolleyes: