PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions

stir crazy
01-25-2010, 11:56
Thanks in advance for your help:
My son and I are going to do a section hike from Springer to Fontana starting in late April-early May. My questions:
1. Want to do this section, including Approach trail, in 14 days. Have been training and think I'm physically fine (i hope). Not too worried about my 23 year old son. Seems like that pace should be fine but your thoughts are appreciated.
2. Real stupid question: Just bought a 2 liter Camelbak bladder to fit in the sleeve of my backpack. Was wondering if I can fill it up thru the tube rather than pulling it out of the pack when I filter water. That seems like it would be a hassle to get it in and out of a full pack. Haven't bought the filtering system yet (thinking about the msr hyperflow for weight and speed)
3. Also wondering about how busy that section would be at late April-early May.

Thanks!

ShelterLeopard
01-25-2010, 12:02
The section will be busy then- the whole trail is, it's prime hiker time!

As for the bladder, I don't use a camelbak (I actually don't use bladders at all anymore, but have a platypus). If you mouthpiece is detachable (mine wasn't), and the hose is the right size, you should be able to hook the hose to your filter. You'd need it to be the right size though, and repeatedly attaching the hose to the filter (which is always kinda tight) might cause the tube to tear.

My advice? Just take the bladder out of your pack and fill it like a water bottle- much less hastle, I'm sure.

Good luck!

bigcranky
01-25-2010, 12:04
1. Two weeks should be fine if you are fit.

2. When I used a bladder, I was able to hook up the tube from my water filter while leaving the bladder inside my pack. Worked fine.

3. Late April won't be as busy as March and early April. Most of the thru-hikers will have started, and the summer hikers won't be out yet.

RollingStone
01-25-2010, 12:08

2. Real stupid question: Just bought a 2 liter Camelbak bladder to fit in the sleeve of my backpack. Was wondering if I can fill it up thru the tube rather than pulling it out of the pack when I filter water. That seems like it would be a hassle to get it in and out of a full pack. Haven't bought the filtering system yet (thinking about the msr hyperflow for weight and speed)

Thanks!

No question is stupid if you don't know the answer. Most gear outlets that sell Camelbacks will also have tube kits that will allow you to adapt your filter to the drinking tube.

The Katadyn Hiker Pro comes with all of this in the package. With the MSR you'll have to buy the pieces separately. We have two liter bags, but usually only fill them a liter at a time. It's a nice feature to have and simplifies things a bit.

Ender
01-25-2010, 12:09
My son and I are going to do a section hike from Springer to Fontana starting in late April-early May. My questions:
1. Want to do this section, including Approach trail, in 14 days. Have been training and think I'm physically fine (i hope). Not too worried about my 23 year old son. Seems like that pace should be fine but your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!

If I remember, that's about 100 miles? You should be able to do that in 14 days. 7+ miles a day should get you there no problem.

You will have to pull the camelback out of your pack to refill it. Keep it on the top of your pack so it's easily accessible.

You are probably nearing the tail end of NOBO thru-hikers, though you'll still likely run into a bunch. And a bunch of non-thru hikers will likely be out then as well.

Enjoy!

stir crazy
01-25-2010, 12:34
Ender, I think total distance is around 170 miles incl. the approach trail. Works out about 12 miles/day.
RollingStone, good info on the Katadin Hiker Pro. REI was out when I was there. Do you use that model?
BigCranky, I hope you are right regarding early May time. That's why I picked that time (also gets me into a little warmer weather with my hammock)

Ender
01-25-2010, 12:38
Ender, I think total distance is around 170 miles incl. the approach trail. Works out about 12 miles/day.
RollingStone, good info on the Katadin Hiker Pro. REI was out when I was there. Do you use that model?
BigCranky, I hope you are right regarding early May time. That's why I picked that time (also gets me into a little warmer weather with my hammock)

Just looked it up... you're right. 170-ish. You should be able to do that if you're in good shape and used to hiking 12 mile days. It's really not that hard, just take it steady and take breaks when needed and you should get there no problem.

Ox97GaMe
01-25-2010, 13:09
You shouldnt have too much trouble hiking the distance in 14 days. It will be 174 miles if you include the approach trail. A lot of thru hikers are completing the distance in about 14-16 days. This usually includes town stops in Hiawassee and Frankin to resupply. If you cut town stops to half a day or less, then you should be in pretty good shape.

During that time of the year, the shuttle services will also be running pretty regular, so you have some options as far as earlier exit points if you are behind your schedule.

Berserker
01-25-2010, 13:55
As others posted this is about 173 miles if you include the approach trail, and is doable in 14 days (that's actually how many days I did it in...in 2 separate sections that is). It gets progressively harder as you get into NC, and don't poo poo the descent into/ascent out of the NOC.

2. Real stupid question: Just bought a 2 liter Camelbak bladder to fit in the sleeve of my backpack. Was wondering if I can fill it up thru the tube rather than pulling it out of the pack when I filter water. That seems like it would be a hassle to get it in and out of a full pack. Haven't bought the filtering system yet (thinking about the msr hyperflow for weight and speed).
I used to use a Camelback Unbottle (the bladder with the sleeve) inside my pack. I always pulled it out to refill it. As others mentioned you can filter directly into the bladder. You could likely press the bladder hose right onto the outlet of the filter, but fashioning a hose with adapter on it might make things easier. As mentioned the Katadyn Hiker comes with adapters and other pieces to do this. I bought a Hiker a while back with the intent to do this, and never did. I just found that pulling out the bladder was easier because then I could easily tell how much water I had. I have since gone to using a Platypus Hoser that goes in one of the outer pockets of my pack. I now only carry 1 pint to 1 quart of water at a time (distance between water sources is usually not that far so why carry the extra weight). Having the platy in the outer pocket allows for easy access, and I don't have to worry about it leaking in the pack. As for the Hyperflow, it's a great filter and works as advertised. It filters water very quickly, and is small and light. The only downside is it does require backflushing periodically. I personally have had some issues with mine (I bought one early on when there were some defective filter cartridges), but when it has worked it has been awesome.

Probably pretty crowded.

stir crazy
01-25-2010, 14:32
Berserker,
You got me rethinking this whole bladder issue. I looked at the water supply points and it looks like you are right. Why carry it? I was going to carry 2 liters in the camelback and 1 liter in the nalgene. Doesn't look like i need to carry that weight. It's funny, you get a pack that has the internal bladder pocket and you figure you got to use it. Good info.

Blissful
01-25-2010, 19:44
Or get a 3 liter platypus system and take a soda bottle for extra. Then you don't have to pull it out so frequently. You aren't hiking in hot temps. Hopefully you can return the 2 liter.

Hosaphone
01-25-2010, 22:54
I was going to carry 2 liters in the camelback and 1 liter in the nalgene. Doesn't look like i need to carry that weight. It's funny, you get a pack that has the internal bladder pocket and you figure you got to use it. Good info.

It's nice to have the ability to carry more water - to a dry camp, for instance. Just because Berserker doesn't carry more than 1 liter at a time doesn't mean he doesn't have a few spare bottles kicking around. I could be wrong though. You certainly could get by with one 1L bottle, but I like to have the ability to carry up to 4L at a time (though I usually only carry more than 1-2L if I'm bringing it into camp). 1L for drinking, 1 for dinner, 1 for breakfast, and 1 to get me to the next water source in the morning. you certainly don't have to do this, but I do.

Also, replace the Nalgene with a 32oz Gatorade bottle, or other wide-mouth bottle. They are lighter.

I find bladders to be very nice for drinking while hiking. I drink much more consistently when I don't have to stop, pull out a bottle, unscrew the cap, drink, screw the cap back on, and put the bottle back. I have a 3L Camelbak (recommend Platypus because they are usually lighter, but this is what I have and it gets the job done) and I use the gatorade bottle for mixing up drinks or carrying an extra liter of water if needed (usually not needed, but it's nice to have).

Hosaphone
01-25-2010, 22:58
Actually I take it back - I don't think that I, personally, could comfortably get by with only one 1L bottle. I'd want the ability to carry at least 2L (and I think having the ability to carry 3-4L is really the norm anyways).

Many Walks
01-25-2010, 23:11
I use a Camelbak bladder, but don't like using the internal sleeve. I lay the bladder on top of my pack and close the lid on it to keep it secure. On some packs I slide it into an external pocket. Either way it's easily accessible when it's time to refill. We use a Steripen and pre-filter on a spare Nalgene to treat water. Works for us. Enjoy your hike!

Berserker
01-26-2010, 10:06
It's nice to have the ability to carry more water - to a dry camp, for instance. Just because Berserker doesn't carry more than 1 liter at a time doesn't mean he doesn't have a few spare bottles kicking around.
Yeah, good point that I forgot to mention. I actually carry two 1 liter platy bottles. That way if I hit a dry stretch I can fill both of them if need be. I also carry a 4 liter platy for camp. I normally camp close enough to water so that I don't need to carry water to camp.

On a side note it's interesting that all 3 platy bladders with one hose weighs a little less than 7 oz. In comparison one 2 liter Camelback Unbottle weighs about 10 oz.

Semperfeet
02-25-2010, 18:27
I use a Katadyn filter pump - when I filter - the hose fits my drinking tube nicely. When I can find a clean water source, it is usually easier to get bladder out of the pack for filling than it is to pump two liters of water.

just dad
02-25-2010, 20:57
I tried the MSR Hyperflow on two different section hikes between Springer and NOC. I backflushed the filter each day as instructed, but the filter quit each time after about 5 days. The second time I was on top of a mountain a day's hike from the NOC. Fortunately other hikers were around to pump water for us. I'm back to the Katadin Hiker, which has served me well.

BitBucket
02-25-2010, 21:07
Get you a quick disconnect valve and put it right above the mouthpiece. You can pop off the mouth piece and hook up your water filter pump (I use a Katadyn Vario). You can refill the 2 liter in about 2 minutes....don't even have to drop your pack

The quick disconnect valves run about $8 at any outfitter store...