PDA

View Full Version : Tents n Rain

mykl
01-25-2010, 19:11
HI everyone, I want to get some opinions about camping in the rain. Come summer, I do a lot of 1 or 2 night solo trips, as much as I can, rain or shine (in NY/NJ and surrounding areas). I actually really like going in the rain, and the problem I have been facing is setting up a tent in the rain. seams the inside of my double wall gets wet ever time. I am thinking a single wall tent could be the solution. I just found a Eureka Zeus 1 classic at a local place at a good price. I believe they stopped making the 1 person version, so I got it while I can. I have read a lot about their condensation problems, but not so much if they are set up/staked out properly.
I'm looking for some opinions as to how this tent will be using/setting up in the rain.
Any info/solutions will be appreciated.
thanx....

Franco
01-25-2010, 19:38
I don't have one but all you do is peg down the four corners, insert the poles, clip the fly up , peg out the sides (as much as you can ) and you have a dry floor waiting for you.
If it rains hard enough you will get some rain inside during ingress/egress, but every tent has some downside.
See if you can find a Zeus LE, that looks much better to me as far as condensation management.
Franco

leaftye
01-25-2010, 19:44
That looks interesting, but not especially light for a 1 person tent. I've been thinking about trying out a conventional tarp. Hmm...maybe tomorrow when our next storm rolls in.

JustaTouron
01-25-2010, 19:58
The UL folks are gonna cringe......

But when I camp with my kids in addition to bring the tent we also bring a lightweight tarp and tie it from a tree to eat, cook, etc. under. By keeping them out of the tent, it keeps the amount of mud they bring into the tent down to a managable amount.

The tarp is larger than the tent.

So I set up the tarp. Set up the tent under the tarp. Take down the tarp. Set up the tarp in our cooking/eating area.

This keeps the rain from getting the tent wet while it is being set up.

Blissful
01-25-2010, 20:01
We only had to set up once in the rain on our 07 hike. With two of us we just set it up really quick.

Cabin Fever
01-25-2010, 20:04
I don't have one but all you do is peg down the four corners, insert the poles, clip the fly up , peg out the sides (as much as you can ) and you have a dry floor waiting for you.

This is what I do. Works in reverse for taking your tent down in the rain too. Did it yesterday on the Art Loeb Trail.

ShelterLeopard
01-25-2010, 20:07

But when I camp with my kids in addition to bring the tent we also bring a lightweight tarp and tie it from a tree to eat, cook, etc. under. By keeping them out of the tent, it keeps the amount of mud they bring into the tent down to a managable amount.

So I set up the tarp. Set up the tent under the tarp. Take down the tarp. Set up the tarp in our cooking/eating area.

Last time I hiked with a group this is exactly what we did- worked beautifully. (Except we set up the kitched tarp where we wanted it, and put together each (freestanding) tent under the tarp, and ran it over to where we wanted to put it. It was faster that way, but your way would be drier.

I'm bringing a small and lightweight kitchen tarp on my thru. Best part is, it cost be less than 25 cents to make, so if I really don't use it, I can drop it in the trash. It'll be worth it though- last year it rained on around 50% of the days (according to most thru hikers, anyway).

mykl
01-25-2010, 21:59
I agree that the Zeus LE design looks like it can battle condensation better, but they are no where to be found. I don't understand why they only made this tent for one year. Feedback that Eureka got, maybe.
I will be trying this tent out soon. I did set up the tent up a little while ago, and its pretty roomy and the 3' height is not as bad as I expected.

Toolshed
01-25-2010, 22:14
There was a guy on here recently trying to sell a 1LE for $125 or so. I thought it was well over-priced.
I don't believe the Classic is the same as the LE, the LE has a 2nd vesti IIRC.
I had a couple of Zeus's. I always picked up a few Class A Eureka Tents in Binghamton at the outlet every year. in 2003 I bought the Zeus 1 & 2, The 1 was a swamp - fully vented (as much as it could be) I was always wet. I returned it and took the 2 to Alaska. Same thing - Constant moisture due to inadequate air circulation. Yeah I know Alaska is a damp wet state, but in August 2003 Car theft was at an all time high as alaskans were leaving there car running when they did errands to keep the A/C on since it was so hot (low 80's)

I returned home and first thing, I sold the Zeus 2 on eBay. glad to be rid of it.

I had always been a fan of Eureka, having sold their tents for a few years - I had at least 10-12 of their tents over the decades and was always very pleased - until the Zeus. I have a hard time believing anyone could stay dry in one of those tents. They just didn't vent well enough.

FamilyGuy
01-25-2010, 23:21
There are some other options. Some designs allow the outer fly to be set up first as the inner 'tent' is attached to the outer fly. Ex. include the Hilleberg Akto, Tarptent Scarp, Terra Nova Laser, etc.

Unfortunately they are expensive.

Aren't you all glad I didn't recommend a hammock?

DAJA
01-25-2010, 23:25
From my past experience with this tent I suggest you rename this thread, " Rain in Tents".. This thing creates its own climate..

RichardD
01-25-2010, 23:59
The Zeuss 2 was my first backpacking tent, most of it's use was Colorado, S Dakota, NM or California so condensation was not a big problem in these climates. It is the fastest tent to errect that I think you will find. I often put the tent up in the middle of the day if I got caught in a storm while hiking. I am sure I could get the tent up faster than I could get raingear on. I was very satisfied with it, it was a very stormproof tent.

Franco
01-26-2010, 00:28
My take on the Zeus LE is that it is a bit cosmetically challenged and therefore was provably overlooked by some.
Tents like the Eureka are made in batches of several hundreds, therefore need volume sales.

Franco

thelowend
01-26-2010, 00:41
ive heard really good reviews with rain and tarptents so far. i have a sierra designs 1 man and i am looking to buy a moment form tarptent. they are really light and reasonably priced too. www.tarptent.com

wudhipy
01-26-2010, 00:45
:DI will be taking my Zues on the thru hike this year. Single wall. large hooks for erecting...especially nice with cold wet fingers. Easy to set up if a hurry up is required to get out of a storm, and can withstand a pretty fair wind load...by far the most hiker friendly tent I've ever had.:D

ShelterLeopard
01-26-2010, 12:56
If I had an extra $500 laying around, I'd seriously consider the Hilleberg Akto.

Hosaphone
01-26-2010, 13:20

Why cringe? Tarps are great! Now just leave the tent at home and you're all set ;)

ChinMusic
01-26-2010, 13:33
My first tent was double wall and didn't allow for setting up the fly first. The inside of the tent would be a swamp before I could get the fly over it.

I now use single-wall tents exclusively and don't have that problem.

I would NEVER recommend a double-wall tent that didn't allow for setting up the fly first or at least under the fly somehow.

FamilyGuy
01-26-2010, 13:40
If I had an extra $500 laying around, I'd seriously consider the Hilleberg Akto.

Here is a used one for $250:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=27899

ShelterLeopard
01-26-2010, 14:06
Wish, wish wish!!!!! I'd love it, but it has been spoken for, and I really need to hold onto my money for my thru. (Definitely looking for one when I get home though)

Omega Man
01-26-2010, 14:33
Dumb Question: Say you're on your thru-hike and it's been raining to beat the band. You're out there to hike, so that's what you do ... hike in the rain, then eventually it's time to call it a day and set up your tent. By morning, everything feels wet or at the very least damp. What do you guys do? Stuff your sleeping bag back in it's stuff sack, then dismantle your tent and then what? Stuff that wet tent into a wet stuff sack and be on your way - in the rain?

To me, this will perpetuate wet or damp gear. So my question is this, what do you do? Simply deal with the fact that all your stuff is gonna be very uncomfortable for as long as the rain falls? Then, once you get a break in the weather, do you stop early and make camp, just to allow your gear to air out and hopefully dry?

What's the procedure for tenting in the rain?

ShelterLeopard
01-26-2010, 14:42
Dumb Question: Say you're on your thru-hike and it's been raining to beat the band. You're out there to hike, so that's what you do ... hike in the rain, then eventually it's time to call it a day and set up your tent. By morning, everything feels wet or at the very least damp. What do you guys do? Stuff your sleeping bag back in it's stuff sack, then dismantle your tent and then what? Stuff that wet tent into a wet stuff sack and be on your way - in the rain?

To me, this will perpetuate wet or damp gear. So my question is this, what do you do? Simply deal with the fact that all your stuff is gonna be very uncomfortable for as long as the rain falls? Then, once you get a break in the weather, do you stop early and make camp, just to allow your gear to air out and hopefully dry?

I'm a bit of a dry gear FREAK. I have everything in drybags (like water submersable compression sacks- serious dry bags), so while the stuff is packed, it's good to go.

As for packing up the wet tent, I pack it up and roll the tent burrito style (usually it'll be dry enough) if I'm using a ground tarp, if not, I roll it and put it in a trash bag, inside my pack- and just fold up the rain fly and put it in a trashbag, and tie it on my pack.

If it is still raining, I just deal with it, slightly damp. (My gear normally stays pretty dry), but if the sun comes out, the second it does, I stop for a long lunch and spread everything out to dry. Do it as soon as the sun comes out, in case the rain isn't really over for the day.

I could go on for a while about keeping gear dry, but, I won't. :rolleyes:

slugger
01-26-2010, 16:19
Sadly my REI quarter dome doesn't Really allow you to set it up with the rain fly at the same time, but with enough practice I now can set my tent up from under the rain fly and just attach it at the end. So far it works...:-?

solace
01-26-2010, 16:29
some good thoughts here... MINE... 1st, a tent, after 4 yrs on the AT, I had had it with a WET tent, and finally dished out the $$$ for a BIBLER SERIES TENT! I have a Bibler Eldorado Tent, (black diamond series) This thing is 98% waterproof WITHOUT A RAIN TARP!
A Bibler will cost you... HOWEVER, its all about your creature comforts out there, you can go super lightweight with a Tarp Tent / mesh wall tent... anywhere 1-3lbs.. or switch to a more secure tent. Is'nt that the truth.. THE MORE COMFORT... THE MORE WEIGHT! My bibler weighs in right at 5lbs. And cost @ $600
As for the sleeping bag.. A synthetic will surely dry faster than a goose down, but, now we are back to creature comforts.... a goose down bag is 1/3 the size and weight!
As for my tent set up... SUPER QUICK! 2 INTERNAL POLES , The Bibler Series offers GREAT protection from the wind as well!
The only thing I miss is some mesh, as to look out at am or pm.....
Cheers ~

ChinMusic
01-26-2010, 16:34

While IN the tent: When morning comes, stuff that must stay dry goes into dry sacks first thing (bag, clothes, personal). At that point you can toss it outside if you wish as it is protected.

Put what clothes on for the start of the day and pack up at your leisure.

My tent goes into a mesh stuff sack that I like to keep outside my pack, or in an outside pocket (if I get something like the ULA Catalyst). That way I can get to it easily should the sun come out later.

YOU and some of your stuff is gonna get wet, and may STAY wet for quite awhile. It goes with the territory. Dry it out when conditions allow. Just protect your bag and camp clothes.

Frosty
01-26-2010, 16:36

You have it right. If it rains for 3-4 days solid, you are going to have wet gear and wet clothing no matter what you do. Best you can do is keep sleeping bag dry and one set of undewear dry to wear every night to bed. Important to be able to sleep. Just put your night clothes in a ziploc in the morning and put on that cold wet stuff from yesterday. The rain will stop eventually and you will be dry. Meantime just zen out and keeping mumbling to yourself, "This too shall pass."

ChinMusic
01-26-2010, 16:40
Meantime just zen out and keeping mumbling to yourself, "This too shall pass."
A major skill to master.........:D

JDCool1
01-26-2010, 18:45
I learned that the MSR HUbba is the easiest tent to set up and take down in the rain. Layout the ground cloth (footprint), Set up the fly, climb under and attach the main structure. It can be done without much trouble and you will sleep dry inside. I discovered this on 2008 hike on the AT in Georgia when it rained every day or two for weeks.

ShelterLeopard
01-27-2010, 12:10
YOU and some of your stuff is gonna get wet, and may STAY wet for quite awhile. It goes with the territory. Dry it out when conditions allow. Just protect your bag and camp clothes.

Meantime just zen out and keeping mumbling to yourself, "This too shall pass."

Yep yep! That's what I do. I'm very, very into keeping my in camp gear dry- most of all, bag and long johns and sweater, but I know that there's no way to keep my hiking stuff dry. (People always say to sleep with your wet clothing in your bag to dry it. POINTLESS. A, you'll be cold at night, B, your bag'll get wet, C, if it is still raining in the morning, your clothing will be wet again in the blink of an eye.)

As long as my in camp gear is dry, I'm happy!

Doughnut
01-27-2010, 14:51
How about take a zero day, dry things out, start later in the day or wait out the weather??

ShelterLeopard
01-27-2010, 14:57
If you do that on a thru, you'll have fifty zeros under your belt by Harpers Ferry... I heard that last year there was a lot of rain. A lot.

If you have unlimited time to do a section though, sure.

Doughnut
01-27-2010, 15:17
It's nto a race, HYOH.

DoughNut

ShelterLeopard
01-27-2010, 16:50
Of course, just saying, if every time it rains and you take a zero, you'll add a couple months onto your hike.

Appalachian Tater
01-27-2010, 18:37
Climbing out of your warm sleeping bag and starting out in the cold rain is unpleasant but after you warm up, hiking in the rain is not so bad.

You can pack up everything but your tent and strap it on the outside so nothing inside your pack gets wet and it is easy to unfold during lunch if it isn't raining so it can dry out. Also, if it is raining and your tent is on the outside of your pack you can set it up without opening your pack. Just make sure it doesn't fall off like all those loose crocs you see up and down the trail!

10-K
01-27-2010, 19:02
I don't mind being cold and I don't mind being wet but I don't like being cold *and* wet.

JustaTouron
01-27-2010, 19:11
I don't mind being cold and I don't mind being wet but I don't like being cold *and* wet.

Stay away from down and cotton then. I have some polyester clothes that keeps me pretty much just as warm when soaking wet as when bone dry.

I know lots of folks take down jackets and down sleeping bags cause they are super light...I won't touch either unless I planning a hike across the Sahara. Certainly never on a trip where it might rain or a canoe trip.

Graywolf
01-28-2010, 02:09
There are some other options. Some designs allow the outer fly to be set up first as the inner 'tent' is attached to the outer fly. Ex. include the Hilleberg Akto, Tarptent Scarp, Terra Nova Laser, etc.

Unfortunately they are expensive.

Aren't you all glad I didn't recommend a hammock?

The Tarp tent Scarp isn't very expensive considering other tents I have seen.. Heck, it's cheaper than alot of Six Moon Designs...I think the scarp would be a great choice if you ask me..

Graywolf

brooklynkayak
01-28-2010, 20:07
I jumped ahead a bit, but wanted to get my advice in before I got distracted by all the tangents.

1) I Own a Zeus Classic, I have camped in very wet environments. Had some condensation, but not enough to worry about. I did make sure that it was well ventilated, very important.

2) My current solo shelter is a GG Spinnshelter with a Meteor Bivy. About a third the weight and roomier. My current combination is a lot more flexible and there are zero condensation issues as it can be very well ventilated and if there should be condensation, the Meteor Bivy keeps it away from me and my sleeping bag.

3) Consider a tarp, or tarp combined with an optional ultralight bivy(6oz). Also much lighter than the Zeus.

4) Consider an ultralight hammock setup. Maybe not that much lighter than the Zeus, but probably more comfortable. There is a reason why there are so many hammock hangers out there. I don't hammock because I often camp in areas without trees.

5) I hate to say this but I feel double wall tents are a waste of weight and/or space. I guess I can understand that in really extreme cold with a lot of snowfall it might seem better, but there are a lot lighter single wall designs that will also hold up to such conditions, Pyramid and Tipi types by SMD, Oware and WyomingLostandFound come to mind.

When it get's down to it, my current solo shelter combination, mentioned above, is double walled, but is lighter, with a lot more room and flexibility. It also handles extreme conditions very well.

6) A common option is the latest so called "Tarp Tents". They are one of the most popular for backpacking because they are lighter and better ventilated. There are a few good manufacturers out there.
My two person shelter(well 3 person) is a "TarpTent Rain Shadow 2" and it is three times the size of the Zeus, but a little less weight.

7) Don't get advice from the neighborhood outfitter, their market is not backpackers, but people who fair weather car camp, which is Eureka's market.

PS I may set up the Zeus Classic and take pictures to compare them to my current solo rig next chance.

Grits
01-28-2010, 23:04
I have this tent a Big Sky Rebolution 2P that is 3 lbs and with the poles on the outside of the rain fly works very well in the rain. No issues so far with strong winds seems very stable. http://bigskyproducts.com/images/view.aspx?productId=193 here is a gear test that I found on this tent. http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Shelters/Tents/Big%20Sky%20International%20%20Revolution%202P/Test%20Report%20by%20David%20Heyting/

300winmag
01-29-2010, 23:27
I've found my TarpTent Moment a great tent for rain. Well ventilated and great vestibule for cooking out of the rain.

I've coated the top 1/2 of the canopy W/ very thin seam sealer to preclude the dreaded "misting through" in a monsoon-type driving rain.

Eric

skinewmexico
01-30-2010, 01:16
I've found my TarpTent Moment a great tent for rain. Well ventilated and great vestibule for cooking out of the rain.

I've coated the top 1/2 of the canopy W/ very thin seam sealer to preclude the dreaded "misting through" in a monsoon-type driving rain.

Eric

I've always wondered how much misting was really condensation being knocked off. But I may paint the top of my Moment with the seam sealing solutions anyway.

And I just stuff my wet tent in an outside mesh pocket, and pull it out to dry when an opportunity presents itself.

Lipson
05-08-2010, 09:58
zues 's have serious condensation problems .might be OK in desert