PDA

View Full Version : My idea of high in elevation..

pattydivins
01-26-2010, 02:17
is only around 4000'. I would like to be higher than that. What is your opinion on this matter?

Jester2000
01-26-2010, 02:59
My idea of high in elevation is hotboxing the Otis.

Kidding!

Actually, anything above 10,000 feet.

jrwiesz
01-26-2010, 04:16
Smoke something medicinal?

prain4u
01-26-2010, 04:45
I have always needed a day or two to physically adjust to increasing altitude starting at about 6,000 feet--and definitely by 8,000 feet. I actually feel the "flu-like" symptoms of altitude sickness if I push too hard on the first couple days of hiking at these higher altitudes. The big problem is--I live at 600 foot elevation in Illinois. Then, I am suddenly hiking with a full pack at 7,000-8,000 feet less than 48 hours after leaving my house. However, by day 3 or 4, I feel great at the higher altitude.

On my last trip to higher elevations, I spent my first two days goofing around at an 8,500 foot base camp before actually starting my hike. For the first time, I had absolutely no problems with altitude sickness on that hike.

I feel that I am at a "high" elevation starting at about 9,000-10,000. The highest that I have ever hiked with a pack is approximately 13,200 feet

Of course, mentally, elevation it is often relative to the terrain surrounding you. I was once on a 9,700 foot peak in the Alps--but the area at the base of the Alp was just 2,300 feet. That seemed so much "higher" than being on a 10,000-11,000 foot peak in the Rockies surrounded by terrain that was 7,000-8,500 feet.

fiddlehead
01-26-2010, 05:23
Over 12k gets my attention.

Sleeping over 15k means probably a tough nite. (at least the 1st night at that altitude)

Under 8k, I don't really notice any change.

I do believe that it all depends on where you have been for the past month in comparison to where you are now.
For example, trying to run the Leadville 100 without going to 10k or above to train, most likely means you won't finish.

But going to Leadville and training in the area for 2 months before the race and you probably won't notice the elevation that bothers the outsiders.

Doooglas
01-26-2010, 05:37
Generally I can feel things at 8000 or so.I imagine it's a blood pressure drop.
After 1 night I'm good to go.

garlic08
01-26-2010, 09:29
Millions of normal people live in Colorado. You can do it, too. Nearly everyone there has a tale of adjusting to altitude and a suggestion or two on how to do it.

fredmugs
01-26-2010, 10:22
The week I hiked in Colorado we base camped at 9,000 and I had a slight headache the entire time. The highest we climbed was 13,000 and I never really felt any oxygen deprevation - only that headache.

sbhikes
01-26-2010, 10:41
If you want to try higher altitudes, just do it. Find a place to try it out. If you feel bad, descend. It's hard to make yourself descend because you just want to sit down and rest and see if that'll make you feel better, but it won't. You'll feel worse. So if you're at higher altitude than you can stand, just descend.

I don't think most people have altitude problems until around 8000 and above, and with careful acclimatization, many people can get to 18,000 with only some sleeping disturbance at the worst.

Mags
01-26-2010, 11:25
Millions of normal people live in Colorado. You can do it, too. Nearly everyone there has a tale of adjusting to altitude and a suggestion or two on how to do it.

I found that the local microbrews helped immensely... :sun

(Being serious: When visiting HYDRATE. Take it easy 2 or 3 days. Then go at a casual pace when you begin your hike).

fredmugs
01-26-2010, 11:37
[QUOTE=Mags;958724]I found that the local microbrews helped immensely... :sun

Aint that the truth! The whole Denver area probably has the best amount of quality and quantity of microbrews than anywhere else in the country.

Jester2000
01-26-2010, 12:03
Of course, mentally, elevation it is often relative to the terrain surrounding you. I was once on a 9,700 foot peak in the Alps--but the area at the base of the Alp was just 2,300 feet. That seemed so much "higher" than being on a 10,000-11,000 foot peak in the Rockies surrounded by terrain that was 7,000-8,500 feet.

Agreed -- this is one of the reasons why Katahdin feels so high up -- everything around it is dramatically lower.

I do believe that it all depends on where you have been for the past month in comparison to where you are now.
For example, trying to run the Leadville 100 without going to 10k or above to train, most likely means you won't finish.

But going to Leadville and training in the area for 2 months before the race and you probably won't notice the elevation that bothers the outsiders.

Acclimitization (if you have the time) is key. I noticed while on top of Whitney that the people who were having issues were the people who came up from the Whitney Portal side on a dayhike, many of whom may have been in San Diego or some other low elevation spot the day before.

PCT hikers, on the other hand, had been hiking and sleeping above 10,000 feet for a couple of days, and didn't have the same issues. Don't get me wrong, though -- walking up it still kicked my ass.

twosticks
01-26-2010, 12:20
I've been up to 12K and haven't felt any issues. Not bad for a boy from jersey. Actually had a cigarette on the top of the Aiguille du Midi. Felt like the top of the world.

leaftye
01-26-2010, 12:26
I guess I could agree with you about 4000 feet. I definitely noticed a change when I moved from Montgomery, Alabama to Albuquerque, New Mexico. I went from being able to run 4-5 miles easily with my leg muscles being the limited factor to only being able to run a couple hundred yards in Albuquerque at the speed my legs were used to. Of course I also noticed another huge change when I hiked to the top of Sandia 10.6k feet.

Toss conditioning completely aside, and I consider the first level of high to be anything above the treeline, and then again where there's snow all year.

buff_jeff
01-26-2010, 12:52
I think anything above 10,000 ft. could be considered "high altitude." I haven't really hiked high altitude much, but I didn't really start feeling unnaturally tired until 10,000 ft.

Jester2000
01-26-2010, 13:28
I've been up to 12K and haven't felt any issues. Not bad for a boy from jersey. Actually had a cigarette on the top of the Aiguille du Midi. Felt like the top of the world.

On top of Whitney (which we nighthiked to watch the sunrise from the top -- I highly recommend this) the PCT thrus were smoking cigarettes and drinking Beam when the dayhikers started arriving.

The dayhikers were dizzy and gasping for breath, red in the face. Some of them were throwing up. We offered them some whiskey to celebrate their summit success. They thought we were nuts.

Mags
01-26-2010, 13:49
On top of Whitney (which we nighthiked to watch the sunrise from the top -- I highly recommend this) the PCT thrus were smoking cigarettes and drinking Beam when the dayhikers started arriving.

The dayhikers were dizzy and gasping for breath, red in the face. Some of them were throwing up. We offered them some whiskey to celebrate their summit success. They thought we were nuts.

A buddy of mine completed his 14ers list this summer.

Nothing like cheap whiskey at 14k ft or so:

http://hphotos-snc1.fbcdn.net/hs191.snc1/6408_125894940020_563440020_3392901_5231483_n.jpg

kayak karl
01-26-2010, 13:50
this weekend at a hammock hang http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11113 we will be scaling apple pie mountain on Saturday. All are welcome.

Blissful
01-26-2010, 13:52
Mt Whitney is my goal. 2012

Jester2000
01-26-2010, 13:59

ven if you're just hiking Whitney, I'd recommend starting at Kennedy Meadows and taking the PCT to the John Muir Trail to Guitar Lake, and summitting from the West.

It's a nice hike, and it gives you time to get used to the altitude, so your time on top will be more enjoyable. The western route is also less steep from Guitar Lake to the top. Whitney Portal Trail is STEEP, and can't possibly be much fun.

As already mentioned, I recommend nighthiking (particularly if the moon is full) and watching the sunrise. Beautiful, and you'll have the mountain to yourself for a while before the crowd starts arriving.

The Solemates
01-26-2010, 14:11
i start feeling it around 10k but it doesnt hit me hard until around 12k. my wife starts feeling it much lower at around 8-10k, but it doesnt hit her as hard so she tends to catch up as we climb higher. then she starts to feel it a lot more than i do around 14k, and has difficulty. she also just gets fatigued really easily, which is her only symptom, whereas i get a migraine but am not as fatigued. it affects everyone differently. i've only been sick once...and that was because i flew in an airplane from an elevation of 300', arrived at the airport at sea level, and climbed that day to around 10k. that night was no fun. its all about acclimation and giving your body time.

sbhikes
01-26-2010, 17:59

See if you can squeeze a side trip in to White Mountain when you go. It's the 2nd highest peak in California and is in the next mountain range over. It's a 15 mrt dayhike on mostly dirt road. The veiws are amazing and the Bristlecones are on the way.

stumpknocker
01-26-2010, 20:31
I'm fine when I'm awake...at least up to 14,496.811 feet in elevation. ((the highest I've walked))

My breathing pattern is slow when I'm sleeping and I'll start waking up once or twice a night needing a little more oxygen above 10,600 feet high. I'm guessing that would change if I spent more time at elevation. :)

Belew
01-26-2010, 20:46
We went to Brian head, Utah for about an hour or so.It was 11,307 feet. I was very lightheaded. It sucked, and I like a buzz.

Jester2000
01-26-2010, 22:33
I have freaky nightmares for the first few nights I sleep at altitude.

Kerosene
01-26-2010, 22:35
It also depends on your level of exertion. A slackpack to the top of Half Dome (8800') was surprisingly easy, while carrying my luggage up a few flights of stairs at the hotel at the base of Vail (8120') after being on a plane from the Midwest simply drains me. Trying to play a second game of short-court basketball after being in Vail for 4 days almost killed me...the only time I couldn't take the court after winning my game.

Jester2000
01-26-2010, 22:43
You should see what happens when you play short-court basketball on top of Half Dome. Actually, it's not that bad. The ball usually goes over the side in the first 30 seconds or so.

Pokey2006
01-27-2010, 01:06

I'm guessing drinking tequila in Mexico the night before a hike isn't one of the "suggestions"??? Also, I can say that overindulgence in happy hour rum and Cokes the night before a bus trip through the Himalayas is not the way to go, either. It's all about staying hydrated, and alcohol -- especially hard liquor -- is the enemy.

Anything over 10,000 is altitude to me. That's when I started getting seriously short of breath, headaches, etc. With time to adjust, it's not so bad.

With that in mind, I am wondering how I'll deal with flying in to 11,000 feet on a trip I have planned this spring. No time to adjust ahead of time, just flying right in to that elevation. Unless anyone has tips for how to prepare for that elevation when the highest I can go near home beforehand is 4-6,000 feet??? I swear I will try my best to stay away from the booze...

prain4u
01-27-2010, 04:15
With that in mind, I am wondering how I'll deal with flying in to 11,000 feet on a trip I have planned this spring. No time to adjust ahead of time, just flying right in to that elevation. Unless anyone has tips for how to prepare for that elevation when the highest I can go near home beforehand is 4-6,000 feet??

The only thing that I can suggest is doing what I myself did differently on my most recent trip to higher elevation---I purposely planned on doing no hiking for the first couple of days. I intentionally "goofed around" and casually explored the area around my base camp for two days so that my body could get acclimated to the elevation. (I also really pushed hydration during those two days).

Spending those couple days at a base camp really stinks when the clock is running on a limited amount of vacation time--especially when you really want to be out on the trail. However, spending time getting acclimated at a base camp sure beat the heck out of having altitude-related problems while out on the trail. In the end, if you experience any altitude-related problems, you will probably have crappy hiking mileage anyway. You will feel sick and you will possibly deplete yourself physically. That, in turn, will negatively impact the remainder of your hike.

In the end, spending those first couple days getting acclimated at a base camp made for a better (and higher mileage) hike for me. I know that I will never again go directly from my low elevation Midwest home--to hiking on a higher elevation trail --without first spending a couple days getting acclimated at a higher elevation base camp. It made a world of difference for me.

twosticks
01-27-2010, 12:27
A buddy of mine completed his 14ers list this summer.

Oh to live where that were possible. Alas, I'm stuck in the 5000's and only if I travel a few hours to get there.

Pokey2006
01-27-2010, 20:44
Spending those couple days at a base camp really stinks when the clock is running on a limited amount of vacation time--especially when you really want to be out on the trail.

Ain't that the truth! I keep wanting to push up my itinerary to just get out there on the trail ASAP. I'm stressed about having enough time to do everything -- and I have five whole weeks! Ugh. There's never enough time when you're on vaca.

I'll take those words to heart and try oh, so hard, to give myself time to acclimate first. I mean, there is sightseeing to be done. The real trick is going to be staying away from the alcohol.

garlic08
01-27-2010, 23:51
I'm guessing drinking tequila in Mexico the night before a hike isn't one of the "suggestions"??? Also, I can say that overindulgence in happy hour rum and Cokes the night before a bus trip through the Himalayas is not the way to go, either. It's all about staying hydrated, and alcohol -- especially hard liquor -- is the enemy.

Anything over 10,000 is altitude to me. That's when I started getting seriously short of breath, headaches, etc. With time to adjust, it's not so bad.

With that in mind, I am wondering how I'll deal with flying in to 11,000 feet on a trip I have planned this spring. No time to adjust ahead of time, just flying right in to that elevation. Unless anyone has tips for how to prepare for that elevation when the highest I can go near home beforehand is 4-6,000 feet??? I swear I will try my best to stay away from the booze...

Hi, Pokey! Besides avoiding the alcohol, another suggestion is to build up your blood with iron in your diet, with leafy greens and red meat if you eat it. Red wine isn't bad, either, for iron. And get as physically fit as you can.

A day or two of acclimating will work wonders, especially if you're jet-lagged. When I was climbing 14ers, I noticed that even sleeping at the trailhead the night before the climb helped a lot.

Have a great trip and good luck dealing with the altitude.