PDA

View Full Version : enota springs

Maryelle
09-17-2004, 12:17
What has been the experience of other AT hikers at Enota Springs near Unicoi Gap?

Singletrack
09-18-2004, 11:09
Maybe this will help, if you mean Enota Spiritual Eco Farm located on Hwy. 180, about 5 miles or so from Unicoi Gap. I do not know if they take mail drops, but a call may answer that question. But first, I recommend you talk to someone that has recently visited there. There have been reports, that there is no garden. Check it out, to see if it is what you want.

Youngblood
09-18-2004, 11:23
Maybe this will help, if you mean Enota Spiritual Eco Farm located on Hwy. 180, about 5 miles or so from Unicoi Gap. I do not know if they take mail drops, but a call may answer that question. But first, I recommend you talk to someone that has recently visited there. There have been reports, that there is no garden. Check it out, to see if it is what you want.

Seems like on two different occasions this year when I have been on the AT between Hogpen Gap (37.1 miles from Springer) and Unicoi Gap (50.7 miles from Springer), I have meet people looking for Red Clay Gap and a trail that starts there. Seems like there is a trail there used to get back to some commercial campground... is Enota that campground? Anyhow, the first time I looked for the trail and didn't see it when I passed through Red Clay Gap. The second time I looked harder and did find it.

However, the last time, the folks I meet said they came up on Henson Creek Trail which I didn't see when I got to Henson Gap. I'm guessing in was at a campsite just south of Henson Gap. Anybody familiar with these trails and the commercial campground?

Youngblood

Singletrack
09-18-2004, 15:55
My mind is a bit fuzzy, it's been awhile since being in this particular area. First the Southbound Henson Creek Trail, according to a local Ranger, will take you to the Upper Chattahoochee CG. It's a Forest Service CG, with a beautiful waterfall. (Horse Trough, I think) The trail at Red Clay Gap, could lead to Enota, or either Camp Pioneer. I am not sure which, or if it leads to either. I tried the Henson Creek Trail, once. Not marked well, or even marked. I turned around, I had no map or compass. Jacks Creek Gap Trail leads from Chattahoochee Gap to Hwy. 180, and the parking lot at the foot of BrassTown Bald. Hope this helps some.

Youngblood
09-19-2004, 11:20
Thanks for the info. Apparently there are several unmarked trails going to places along GA180. Now that you mention it, the folks I talked to also mentioned a trail that connected to Jacks Gap Trail and went back to the commercial campground. I think they were calling it the Jacks Creek Trail.

Dances with Mice
09-19-2004, 14:15
www.enota.org

Their e-mail address is on their website, which describes Enota as:

Enota’s purpose is to work for the Highest Good of All, dedicated to the awakening of the consciousness of humanity; to be a sustainable, spiritual, educational sanctuary and community -- an EcoSpiritual Village; to honor all faiths, traditions and people; to be of service and a steward of this sacred earth for future generations. We are a non-denominational, spiritually based organization, believing that the Divine is in all things and that it can be especially experienced through nature.

So it's, you know, that kind of place.

Youngblood
09-20-2004, 10:00
www.enota.org

Their e-mail address is on their website, which describes Enota as:

Enota’s purpose is to work for the Highest Good of All, dedicated to the awakening of the consciousness of humanity; to be a sustainable, spiritual, educational sanctuary and community -- an EcoSpiritual Village; to honor all faiths, traditions and people; to be of service and a steward of this sacred earth for future generations. We are a non-denominational, spiritually based organization, believing that the Divine is in all things and that it can be especially experienced through nature.

So it's, you know, that kind of place.

That is an interesting place but I don't know if they would want AT hikers dropping in. I ran into a Rainbow gathering a few years ago when I was hiking the Pinhoti Trail in Alabama and it was fine. My partner and I stopped and chatted with them for a while... they even gave us a slice of apple pie.

Youngblood