PDA

View Full Version : REI sub kilo

Reid
01-26-2010, 09:05
Anyone know why this bag gets such crap reviews? I've seen better bags but am intrested in this one because I need a good bag at a good price but one that I can be rough with.

Bearpaw
01-26-2010, 09:35
The Sub-Kilo went away a couple of years ago. Many folks said its 20 degree rating was optimistic.

The closest equivalent now is the REI Halo 25 (http://www.rei.com/product/778158).

Lyle
01-26-2010, 11:09
I had a Sub-Kilo. Sold it when I got my WM Ultralite. It was a decent bag, well made, but it wasn't a 20* bag. I was comfortable to more like 30* or 32*.

Keep that in mind, and test it out ahead of when you really need to count on it, and it will probably serve you very well.

papa john
01-26-2010, 11:11
Most of the reviews I read were from way back. I have a 2008 model and seems to have all the things that the earlier reviewers were asking for. I have not tried mine yet though. Its was good deal from REI Outlet store.

Rain Man
01-26-2010, 11:46
Anyone know why this bag gets such crap reviews?

My wife and I both have Sub-Kilos (male and female versions) and like them just fine. I didn't know they got inordinate bad reviews. We'll keep ours.

We also have old Holubar down bags, 4.5 lbs each, which we got in Colorado over three decades ago. Don't even know what they are rated to, or if they had ratings back then, but I've slept in mine in the backyard down to about zero and stayed warm. We use them for our cold weather bags on the AT and are grateful to have them on many nights.

As far as the ratings, I think they are "survival" ratings, not promises of comfort.

Rain:sunMan

Helios
01-26-2010, 12:00
I picked up my sub kilo 20 in 2005. Used on a section hike of the PCT that April, again in Dec, and then again in April 2006. I've taken it on several section hikes of the AT, C&O Canal, and some local state parks hikes since then.

I woke up Feb 2009 at Dahlgren Backpack campground with temps in the teens. I was comfortable, almost toasty in by bag. I guess I'm that warm of a sleeper.

This bag is still in excellent shape. I am starting my thru hike March 9th this year with it and have no reservations. I will also have a Sea to Summit bag liner.

I never heard of bad reviews for this bag. In fact, I had read nothing but good reviews. I haven't looked in a while, especially since they don't make this model anymore. Whatever, it's all good! :)

frisbeefreek
01-26-2010, 12:05
I have a 2006 Subkilo. Nice bag for the money, but no way it's a 20F bag (more like 28F imho). It's a good bag for the AT and PCT (where I used it). One last criticism on the '06 model is that the shell isn't waterproof at all, so any condensation gets sucked into the down immediately.

It was replaced by the 25F Halo the following year - Same weight but 5F less warm. A REI clerk told me they had too many complaints about the Kilo rating, so they renamed and rerated essentially the same bag.

Thrasher
01-26-2010, 17:35
I've got one. Seems to work fine for me down to about 25 degrees. REI outlet is still selling them online for $140. I think that's a good price. My feathers poke out more than my other bag, but I just try to pull them back in when I see one coming out. I think I've read if you're a big guy or wide in the shoulders you might not like it as much. I also have to be careful with the zipper so it doesn't catch on the material and possibly rip it. It's not a big deal to me.

Reid
01-27-2010, 11:08
Well It showed up in the mail yesterday, shipped from Marietta GA. I had purchased it from geartrade too so I'm figuering whoever I got it from is around here somewhere. It's not too bad, a little flat maybe and very slender but I think it'll be fine for spring use after I get it washed up. Thanks for the replys.