PDA

View Full Version : Potomac River Footbridge Closed Temporarily

Lauriep
01-26-2010, 11:03
The Goodloe Byron Memorial Footbridge over the Potomac River will be closed by Harpers Ferry National Historical Park until further notice, due to high water. This footbridge connects the Appalachian Trail in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia with the C&O Towpath in Maryland. We expect the closure to last only a day or so.

If you will be hiking in this area, call ATC for alternate arrangements (304) 535-6331.

Laurie Potteiger
Appalachian Trail Conservancy

ki0eh
01-26-2010, 11:21
Very likely the so-called "subway" at the north end of Duncannon will be closed, similar reason and duration.

Cookerhiker
01-26-2010, 11:27
The Goodloe Byron Memorial Footbridge over the Potomac River will be closed by Harpers Ferry National Historical Park until further notice, due to high water. This footbridge connects the Appalachian Trail in Harpers Ferry, West Virginia with the C&O Towpath in Maryland. We expect the closure to last only a day or so.

If you will be hiking in this area, call ATC for alternate arrangements (304) 535-6331.

Laurie Potteiger
Appalachian Trail Conservancy

Wow! That's some high water. I hope HF doesn't experience another one of its floods.

Blissful
01-26-2010, 11:33
Flooding here in this area. South river is high here in Greene Co. Schools closed. Another storm this weekend. Very wet winter so far. I know HF can get its share of floods. Hope it will be okay there.

Helios
01-26-2010, 12:03
NOAA is calling for above average precipitation with cooler temps through June this year. Looks like I picked a great year to thru hike! It's all good! :)

Lauriep
01-27-2010, 13:21
The footbridge has re-opened; however, there was a breach of the towpath downstream (A.T. north of Harpers Ferry), near the Sandy Hook US 340 bridge, which made the Trail impassable there early this morning. No word yet on whether there will be a closing related to that.

Laurie Potteiger
ATC

veteran
01-27-2010, 14:04

ki0eh
01-27-2010, 14:20
Very likely the so-called "subway" at the north end of Duncannon will be closed, similar reason and duration.

It's indeed closed as of this morning. I've always wondered: is there an "official" detour, or do you just call the Doyle for a ride?