PDA

View Full Version : ultimate camp shoe--->

MedicineMan
10-29-2002, 00:53
My vote is for the Nike Usurper Slide, here is a link:
http://www.footlocker.com/catalog/productdetail.cfm?TID=5555-04280222322104221063466-0&module=sideNav&action=keywordSearch&supercat=other&sku=02170411&model_nbr=33211

H*lluva link and if it doesnt work surf to Footlocker and type in the model listed above.....you will not believe how light these are and when I see hikers with Tevas strapped on their packs I laugh...granted these Nikes aren't as light as Brawny's footbed/nylon cord combos, these actually look good in town and not like you are a hobo.....

tegdirb
11-15-2002, 21:52
Approximately how many ounces is "light"?

Hammock Hanger
11-16-2002, 00:19
I have an older version of these which I got on clearance for $5.00. I used them most of my 2001 hike. They are supper light (I'll try and weigh them at the PO tomorrow). The only draw backs I found were: I couldn't hike in them, they slide off when swimming or fording streams and sometimes my arches would hurt after wearing them as town shoes. I love Brawny's homemade sandals but am not that ultralite. On long hikes I still like my versitle Chaos.
Hammock Hanger

chomp
11-16-2002, 13:56
The cheapest flip-flops that you can find in Walmart or the like. I long ago gave up the notion that I needed my camp shoes to be a sturdy hiking shoe. In a pinch, you CAN hike in anything, and I have actually hiked a couple of miles in my flip-flops. Not pretty, but it got done with no injuries or close calls. Oh, and they weight just about nothing.

HikeLite
04-27-2005, 06:22
Yep, they've been mentioned a few times in the last two years.

HikeLite
04-27-2005, 06:32
holy crap.....i didn't even notice how old this message was....sorry

gr8fulyankee
04-27-2005, 09:29
For the past 18 years the only thing on my feet besides my hiking boots or dress shoes ( stupid company events ) have been my birkenstocks. These are most comfortable things in the world. Says what you will about UL strapons-slipons, but I feel relaxed with these on.

Ramble~On
05-09-2005, 16:47
Since "Waldies" and "Crocs" came about my search for ultralight footwear has come to an end.

I have seen them at outfitters for $25.00+.
I found mine for $7.00 at a medical supply website.

They might look silly...but the weight for comfort makes them ideal.
I went with black ones.....but I continue to see men with pink, yellow and orange Crocs....I guess it's so they won't forget them when breaking camp.
It's be hard to miss something that can be seen from outter space.

Mags
05-09-2005, 17:10
Crocs weigh in at 12 oz for a men's large.

Just something to keep in mind if you are looking for light footwear for camp.

Kerosene
05-09-2005, 19:34
I love my Waldies, but I just found a solid pair of Sun-n-Sand sandals (not flip-flops) in Wal-Mart for $4.99 that weigh in at 8 ounces, saving another quarter pound. Granted, you can't traipse around in the woods the way you can with the Waldies, but they should work fine with or without socks around camp and getting water. Plus, they're a lot easier to shove into my pack than the volume-hogging Waldies.

neo
05-09-2005, 21:08
i bought some great camp shoes half the bulk and wieght of my waldies and only 4.99 at publix,made of simular looking material,i love them and will post pictures later:cool: neo

ps.they wiegh 6 oz,my waldies wiegh 11 oz:cool: neo

hiker5
05-09-2005, 21:35
I used a pair of cheapy flipflops from wally world for camp shoes a couple weekends ago. -They worked great when it wasn't raining and I was on flat ground.
-They worked good enough on moderately steep terrain (tented up the hill behind Blackrock Hut in SNP).
-They worked fine when it was raining and I was on the flat ground down by the shelter.
- BUT they were terrible when it was raining and I was trying to walk up to my tent. My feet kept slipping off of the sandals. Not good at all. I guess I'll just have to decide if they are still worth carrying knowing they don't work under those conditions. I could always just keeps my shoes on if the conditions are that crummy.

A-Train
05-10-2005, 15:21
Crocs weigh in at 12 oz for a men's large.

Just something to keep in mind if you are looking for light footwear for camp.

I never gave in on my thru-hike, mostly cuz I wanted to be different, and every other thru-hiker had a pair. Also they look ridiculous. A dollar store pair of flops treated me just fine.

The ridiculous thing is that now Crocs have become fashionable, at least up in Burlington. Silly college and 20-somethings think they look cool to walk around campus and town in. I beg to differ! They are one of the hottest items at the local outfitter

Mags
05-10-2005, 15:49
The ridiculous thing is that now Crocs have become fashionable, at least up in Burlington. Silly college and 20-somethings think they look cool to walk around campus and town in. I beg to differ! They are one of the hottest items at the local outfitter

Oh God! The plague has made it out East!!!!!

Crocs are made in nearby Niwot,CO. They are very popular here. To me they look like gardening shoes. They are BFU! (you figure it out. ;) )

In Boulder not only do we have Silly college and twenty somethings..we have silly teens, silly tweenagers, silly kids...and silly 30-somethings, 40-somettings...hell, I've seen people in their 60s wearing them.

Crocs is not able to keep up with orders they are becoming so popular.

I won a pair at a trail run (lottery for my entrance fee..not by my slow running! :D)...they are still in my closet collecting dust.

For a heavy camp shoe..guess they would work. But the day I wear bright orange garderning shoes around town? Well...it will be a long time before THAT happens. :)