PDA

View Full Version : Need GPS recommendation

frisbeefreek
01-26-2010, 13:27
I'm doing some planning, and for the CDT, I've decided I want a GPS (short story = Evolution Basin, snowfield, whiteout, frozen lakes and ice bridges).

Having never owned or used one, I'm a bit lost (groan) when it comes to evaluating features (this is after spending time on various review sites).

Basically, I'd like these features:

1) Color screen where I can load and view 24K topo maps. Ideally, I'd be able to preload the majority of the trail onto a memory card.
2) Load trail breadcrumbs (a la Sly's sticky forum post)
3) The usual infinite battery life, zero weight, and cheap cost

As a starting point, I'm looking at the Garmin Dakota 20. Other than a smaller screen (it's 40% of the size of the Oregon/Colorado series), it seems the same as all the others.

Anyone have any evaluation tips? Is this screen big enough? I can head to the local REI to lay hands on a model once I learn a bit more.

Thanks-FF

Shutterbug
01-26-2010, 14:02
I'm doing some planning, and for the CDT, I've decided I want a GPS (short story = Evolution Basin, snowfield, whiteout, frozen lakes and ice bridges).

Having never owned or used one, I'm a bit lost (groan) when it comes to evaluating features (this is after spending time on various review sites).

Basically, I'd like these features:

1) Color screen where I can load and view 24K topo maps. Ideally, I'd be able to preload the majority of the trail onto a memory card.
2) Load trail breadcrumbs (a la Sly's sticky forum post)
3) The usual infinite battery life, zero weight, and cheap cost

As a starting point, I'm looking at the Garmin Dakota 20. Other than a smaller screen (it's 40% of the size of the Oregon/Colorado series), it seems the same as all the others.

Anyone have any evaluation tips? Is this screen big enough? I can head to the local REI to lay hands on a model once I learn a bit more.

Thanks-FF

I have a drawer full. They all do basically the same things.

My personal favorite is the Delorme Earthmate, because it is easier to create and upload your own maps. My next purchase will be the Earthmate/Spot unit that is supposed to be availavble soon:

http://www.delorme.com/about/pressreleases/SPOTcommunicator.htm

Lyle
01-26-2010, 15:25
With somewhat limited use on the KEK and Border Routes through the Boundary Waters, typically considered difficult to follow trails, I was very happy with my Garmin Etrex Legend HCx. Use lithium batteries.

frisbeefreek
01-26-2010, 15:50
Probably a better way for me to phrase my question is: are there specific features I should be looking for? I notice most have different levels of built-in memory.

Shutterbug hit the nail on the head when he said the Delorme is easier to create/upload maps. That's exactly the type of info I'm looking for.

SunnyWalker
03-31-2010, 22:25
It looks pretty good, Shutterbug.

RamblinRon
04-02-2010, 23:48
Hi,
I live near the CDNRT in Montana and navigate that type terrain regularly. My Garmin eTrex Vista HCx works great.
Regards,

Ramblin Ron
http://www.backpackingoutfitter.com
Information and gear about backpacking, hiking and camping.

fiddlehead
04-03-2010, 01:03
Had a legend, and man older ones.
Now, I have the 60CSX and think it is great. (Garmin)
The X is important.
I also had a 60CS and there is a BIG difference.
For one, speed of picking up satellites. For another thing, no removable mini sd card.
With the sd card, you can put more maps.
My friend has the DeLorme and I think they are about the same (from what i can see)
They are not as small as the Legend/Vista but the screen is much more readable. (important to MY eyes)
Waterproof, fairly lightweight (for it's size) and tree cover doesn't bother it.
Good luck in your choice.

Connie
04-03-2010, 12:25
I know this isn't very helpful, but I recently found out there are many add-on maps, including private and public land. I know I want that information.

I don't know if this is only for Garmin brand, or others.

I started hunting down the information: the first one I saw was for keeping track of hunting dogs. But the big laptop cord got smashed in the car door, and so, I have had to order a replacement cord.

I am not getting online enough to research this, right now.

But I thought I would mention it. I know this will be a factor in my next GPS. I want add-ons.

+1 for display. Look thru the display menu.

Is the display menu intuitive, or at least, logical.

I saw a Garmin "Colorado" model that had a great display. The owner uses it for "geocaching" which is something else you might consider.

SunnyWalker
04-08-2010, 22:00
I have an Magellan eXplorist XL. I really like it for short hikes and GeoCaching. But for a Thru Hike? No, its too heavy. I am looking at GPS Units with the following goals in mind:
1) Must be effective in locking on sats
2) Must give me my location so I can transfer the data to a map and then go from there.
3) No reqs for color screen, etc., since I won't be using it to navigate as in carrying it, looking at it constantly etc.
Anyone with a recomend?

SunnyWalker
04-21-2010, 19:51
Shutterbug: is that thing two different units that work together? I was looking at it again and it looks like it is two different dealies.

SunnyWalker
06-01-2010, 04:04
Purchased another GPS Unit today. It is a Magellan Triton 400 with what they call the "adventure pack". Man, this is a nice unit. It is perfect for hiking-small pocket size and light. Runs on only two AA batts. Color display and you can store photos in it also. Does all typical Magellan GPS stuff which is all one needs. The Adventure Pack includes the Nat'l Geographic Topo maps. I loaded in the maps I'll need for a section hike on CDT. I'll be using Wolf books, J Ley maps and GPS. I was not going to take gps, but in the running up to my date I just kept looking at everything. This unit sure is lighter then my monstor Magellan Explorist XL. I like both of them. This will be interesting.

SGT Rock
06-01-2010, 07:30
How is the battery life? I hear from a friend with a Magellan that when mapping a trail it can go through a couple of sets of batteries in a day. I think his model is a different one though.

The Solemates
06-01-2010, 09:40
they all perform the same function. we have a garmin etrex, first edition, right when personal GPSs came out. we also have a fancy magellan that has all the bells and whistles. we actually like the etrex better - just used it this weekend actually during our jaunt in the Oauchitas. its all just coordinates from a satellite. personnally, dont waste your money. just buy a cheap $100 one.

SunnyWalker
06-02-2010, 23:31
Mags: the instructions say two AA batts last up to 10 hrs.

Mags
06-03-2010, 08:49
Mags: the instructions say two AA batts last up to 10 hrs.

????? Haven't even posted in this thread. :)

EDIT: Ah..you mean the Magellan...back to my coffee...

Old Hiker
06-03-2010, 09:39
they all perform the same function. we have a garmin etrex, first edition, right when personal GPSs came out. we also have a fancy magellan that has all the bells and whistles. we actually like the etrex better - just used it this weekend actually during our jaunt in the Oauchitas. its all just coordinates from a satellite. personnally, dont waste your money. just buy a cheap $100 one.

I have an Etrex Legend and Legend C. My only problem with the Legend is something inside is loose and I have to tap it to get the screen back or to clear the lines from the screen. Otherwise, it's been great. I prefer it instead of the C, but that may only be I'm used to the Legend.

dsquid
06-03-2010, 10:25
Another vote for the Garmin CSX. Rock solid, great battery life as long as you aren't hammering the back-light constantly.

SunnyWalker
06-09-2010, 20:17
I bought a detailed map of Rocky Mtn Region from Magellan. Boy they sure have a lot to offer. One could load maps forever if you wanted too. Anyway, I downloaded this map and then transferred it to my Triton 400. Went great and the whole thing was impressive. The screen is great vibrant color. Batts (1 AA) last 10 hrs. but of course I don't plan on hiking with it constantly on.

Wise Old Owl
06-09-2010, 20:52
Garmin 450 allows imports of images

BrianLe
08-12-2010, 11:28
I'm planning on the CDT for next year; my GPS for the PCT was the one built into my smartphone, and I "used" the same thing on the AT this year (not too much needed on either trail).

For the CDT, I'm thinking of a relatively expensive and new option, the Delorme Earthmate PN-60W Portable GPS Navigator with SPOT Satellite Communicator (http://www.amazon.com/Earthmate-Portable-Navigator-Satellite-Communicator/dp/B0031QNPAC). A fairly expensive approach as the combined units are about $550, plus $100 annual SPOT fee, plus I'd likely spend another $50 for 500 text messages, but I reckon that cell service will be very very limited on the trail, so the ability to at least send (but not receive) 40 character messages in addition to just the normal "I'm okay, at this location" messages that the normal SPOT devices send --- that might be worth the money for my trail partner and I.

These devices are clearly evolving, and I hate to buy something on perhaps the steep part of the evolution curve, but you need to get the gear that makes sense for you when you actually need it ... i.e., it's not like, say, an HD TV where a person can opt to just wait a couple of years for the price/functionality ratio to get significantly lower!

SMSP
08-20-2010, 11:32
I am considering buying a Garmin 60csx GPS. I see that the newer version is the Garmin 62s and the replacement for the 60csx. From what I have read about the 60csx, it is a solid device. It doesn’t have all the bells and whistles that some of the new units have, but it has and does what it’s suppose to do. It is known for speed in searching/finding satellites and for keeping its signal in tree canopies, canyons, city canyons (buildings), etc… Cabela’s has it on sale for $200 and it lists elsewhere from $290-350. The main downside I have read about is the extra cost for the maps.

I have tried other GPS units and they have failed. I am in South MS and we have lots of tree canopy on the local trails. I tried a Magellan 2000 unit and returned it. It worked great out in the open and went through regular batteries in a day if used all day. I also borrowed a Magellan Explorist, which was about the same as the 2000 unit.

I also have read that around mid 2008, Garmin started shipping these models with Mediatek receivers instead of the SirfStar III receiver chips. Is this something to be concerned about? Not sure. The Garmin website does not state which receiver is used in the specs. Further searching indicates that Mediatek receiver is more sensitive and a little more accurate. Another person indicated that the Mediatek receiver didn’t perform as well around tall buildings.

Anybody have any insight into this?

SMSP

jeepcachr
08-20-2010, 12:02
You can't go wrong with garmin there is a reason they have the biggest marketshare.

I'd recommend going with one of the newer units that uses a USB cable interface. Serial ports are hard to find on newer PC's, are slow, and sometimes difficult to configure.

Check out http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/ for free maps. The free maps for Michigan are 1/24k and are better than Garmin's expensive 1/100k paid for maps. So check the area your going to. You can also import trips from or share your trips at- http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=657465 easily with most of the newer garmins without dealing with file conversion issues.

SMSP
08-20-2010, 17:40
You can't go wrong with garmin there is a reason they have the biggest marketshare.

I'd recommend going with one of the newer units that uses a USB cable interface. Serial ports are hard to find on newer PC's, are slow, and sometimes difficult to configure.

Check out http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/ for free maps. The free maps for Michigan are 1/24k and are better than Garmin's expensive 1/100k paid for maps. So check the area your going to. You can also import trips from or share your trips at- http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=657465 easily with most of the newer garmins without dealing with file conversion issues.

Thanks for the info.
So the Garmin 60csx has a serial connection and not a USB?

SMSP

leaftye
08-20-2010, 18:11
I'm pretty sure all their current units have a USB connection. Even though my Garmin has a usb connection, for some reason I prefer to take the memory card out and write the data to it directly. I think I started doing that so I wouldn't waste gps battery life while writing data.

I know you're looking for inexpensive, but I do like my Oregon 550. Of course I'd like it a whole lot better if I could take pictures without waiting forever for the maps to load.

I'll second the recommendation for gpsfiledepot.com.

BrianLe
08-21-2010, 11:20
If a particular GPS seems like the "right" device for you except for the serial port connection, I wouldn't let that stop you --- an inexpensive (I think less than $20) USB-to-serial adapter can be purchased to make "legacy" devices work with newer computers.
It is true, however, that a USB connection is going to be faster; not sure how big a factor that is, if you can just set up maps to download to the GPS and then go off and do something else in the meantime.

Of course I'd prefer a USB (2.0) connection, I'm just saying that, for example, if a person is on a tight budget and can get a reliable used GPS that they should be aware of the USB-to-serial adapter option.

karo
08-21-2010, 11:50
I just ordered the Garmin map60CSx from Cabela's. Thanks for the heads up on that deal! I have had a Gramin Geko 201 for a few years and it fit the bill for most hiking. I did get a serial to usb adapter for it last year so now it can be connected to my laptop for downloads. I might sell the Geko if anyone is interested. I guess i should put it on the for sell page tho. I will decide when the new one arrives.

weary
08-21-2010, 12:07
I have a Delorme pn40 and it does everything I want it to do and more. The DeLorme Earthmate PN-40 handheld GPS is sturdily built and waterproof; accurate, very fast at rendering maps and images; comes with loads of maps, and can download highly detailed maps from the vast online DeLorme library.

The learning curve was a little challenging and battery consumption (two double As, or rechargeable lithium) is a bit more than I would like. But
the PN 40's raw power makes it all worthwhile.

It's widely available for $300, and ocasionally can be found for as little as $218.

Weary

leaftye
08-21-2010, 13:32
If a particular GPS seems like the "right" device for you except for the serial port connection, I wouldn't let that stop you --- an inexpensive (I think less than $20) USB-to-serial adapter can be purchased to make "legacy" devices work with newer computers.

I need to pick up one of those adapters to give my old Vista one more shot. I can't imagine waiting for maps to upload though. I have over 2 gigs of maps on my Oregon. Fortunately the old Vista doesn't have that much memory, but if it did...over a serial port. I could probably triple crown before it finished uploading.

SMSP
08-21-2010, 21:05
I found a copy of the 60csx manual and the manual indicates there is a USB port on the back under a rubber cover. I have never had a serious GPS and the 60csx has a great reputation.

I read up on the Delorme and the reviews were great bout the included maps.

I will see if I can meet my needs with the maps that are included for 60csx and if not, I'll consider buying the extra SD card.

Thanks for the information, it has been helpful. For $200 bucks at Cabela's with $5 shipping and since I didnt have a Cabela's credit card, I also got $15 off this purchase. So actually, it will cost $190.

Looking forward to getting it soon.

SMSP

karo
08-21-2010, 23:47
SMNP, thanks for the idea about the Garmin, let me know on here when you get yours. I ordered mine Friday night, it should be here in TN sometime next week I hope. I also appreciate the link to gpsfiledepot.com. Thank You jeepcachr. I think I will try it before I go spending alot on extra maps. I also ordered a 4g microsd card for $8 with free shipping to go in my new gps. The Garmin site recommended the 4g with their new units.

SMSP
08-25-2010, 23:44
Mine arrived today around 12noon:banana

SMSP

karo
08-26-2010, 00:15
My Garmin 60gpscx came in today also, been messing with it all day. So far I am impressed with it. It also came with a 1 GB micro sd card. I am downloading the SE map from GPSfliedepot tonight. I was not impressed with the AL and TN topo maps on there. They have a lot of gaps in their coverage, gaps in places that I frequent.

Sly
08-26-2010, 00:16
Probably a better way for me to phrase my question is: are there specific features I should be looking for? I notice most have different levels of built-in memory.

Shutterbug hit the nail on the head when he said the Delorme is easier to create/upload maps. That's exactly the type of info I'm looking for.

The Delorme may be a bit more detailed, but Yogi, in her planning guide, has all the Garmin maps you'll need using the Topo software
Also, there's a sticky here in the CDT forum that has all the waypoints you could possibly need. Check it out.

SMSP
08-26-2010, 09:28
My Garmin 60gpscx came in today also, been messing with it all day. So far I am impressed with it. It also came with a 1 GB micro sd card. I am downloading the SE map from GPSfliedepot tonight. I was not impressed with the AL and TN topo maps on there. They have a lot of gaps in their coverage, gaps in places that I frequent.

The included map isnt much as expected. I saw the SE map as well and will see what it has to offer. I may end up buying one, dont know yet.
I am happy with it as well. Came with 1GB card already installed. I can tell how much faster it is than the others I have experimented with.
Now I need to get past the learning curve.

SMSP

karo
08-26-2010, 11:18
SMNP
remember to check the map datum on any maps or waypoints/tracks/routes that you download and match your gps with the datum, i.e., Nad 27, WGS84, etc.

SMSP
08-26-2010, 23:11
Thanks for the headsup. I am new to GPS for the most part. I d/l that SE topo from gpsfiledeport.com.

Can the datum be switched on the 60csx? If so, how?
How do I check which one my 60csx set to?

I looked thru all the menus on the 60csx and couldnt find anything.

I looked over that SE topo and didnt see anthing either.

What I am missing?

Thanks,

SMSP

SMSP
08-26-2010, 23:38
I found the datum within Setup > Units.

Still need help with the other questions.

SMSP

karo
08-28-2010, 11:24
I found the datum within Setup > Units.

Still need help with the other questions.

SMSP

PM me if needed or e-mail: [email protected]
and maybe between the 2 of us we can figure it out.:sun

kayak karl
08-28-2010, 13:38
Garmin 450 allows imports of images
not that easy to get waypoints, but is great once its set. i don' have topo on mine, but this overlay is detailed.
http://inlinethumb46.webshots.com/40045/2989177850104593866S425x425Q85.jpg

REI sale
(http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/electronics-insanity/7814-oregon-450-sale-rei.html#post82150)

karo
09-02-2010, 12:12
The Garmin 60CSx is SOLD OUT, but you can still get the unit with a bundle for $219! LINK (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602025-cat21350_TGP&id=0036479229052a&navCount=2&podId=0036479&parentId=cat21350&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=9IS&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat21350&hasJS=true) It looks like they are selling fast so if you are sure you want one, don't delay.

SMSP
09-02-2010, 16:11
Yeah, I contacted Cabela's last Saturday. I ordered the bundle and will return the single unit once the bundle arrives. Cabela's customer service was great. They are not gonna charge me return shipping, which is $7.50. I will also get the original $15 new customer credit on the new purchase.I have been satisfied with the 60csx so far. I have been making waypoints and tracks during the day just to get familiar with its operations. I plan to hike some this Labor weekend and will track a local trail. Hike on!SMSP

jeepcachr
09-03-2010, 10:46
In my opinion the 60 series are to big. I'm a big fan of the newer Etrex series. I have a Venture HC and a Colorado 300. The venture makes it out more often unless I'm going to Geocache. Then the paperless geocaching on the Colorado wins out.

FYI the Etrex H does not have a USB connection the rest of the current Etrex line use USB.

SMSP
09-03-2010, 12:38
Yeah, the 60csx is sizable. But I'm new to GPS for the most part. By time I tire of the 60csx, perhaps there will be something affordable in a smaller package as powerful as the 60csx.

SMSP

Uncle Wayne
09-07-2010, 01:51
I have a Delorme pn40 and it does everything I want it to do and more.

The learning curve was a little challenging and battery consumption (two double As, or rechargeable lithium) is a bit more than I would like.

Weary

I have one of these also and agree with Weary's statements above. Every PN40 owner I've talked to has said the same thing. Biggest gripe is battery life. My friends Garmin CSX has about 3 times the battery life as my PN40.

weary
09-07-2010, 10:30
.....Every PN40 owner I've talked to has said the same thing. Biggest gripe is battery life. My friends Garmin CSX has about 3 times the battery life as my PN40.
I'm willing to put up with poor battery life in part beause a GPS is not something I use every day. More important is the ability to produce trail maps for our town land trust using a variety of Delorme and other maps as a base.

I also like Delorme because it was founded in Maine and continues to operate out of a factory and store just outside of Freeport. I met the owner casually when he stopped by the newspaper where I worked in the 1970's to ask me to do a story about his plans to produce maps for outdoor active people.

I didn't do a story because I didn't like his early maps, and I had enough to do without writing negatively about a tiny startup map company. But I've been casually watching the company grow and improve ever since. I'm not privy to the details of the company, but I tend to prefer good products with a Maine flavor than good products made mostly in Taiwan.

Weary

No Belay
09-07-2010, 10:30
[QUOTE=BrianLe;1039485]I'm planning on the CDT for next year; my GPS for the PCT was the one built into my smartphone, and I "used" the same thing on the AT this year (not too much needed on either trail).

For the CDT, I'm thinking of a relatively expensive and new option, the Delorme Earthmate PN-60W Portable GPS Navigator with SPOT Satellite Communicator (http://www.amazon.com/Earthmate-Portable-Navigator-Satellite-Communicator/dp/B0031QNPAC). A fairly expensive approach as the combined units are about $550, plus $100 annual SPOT fee, plus I'd likely spend another $50 for 500 text messages, but I reckon that cell service will be very very limited on the trail, so the ability to at least send (but not receive) 40 character messages in addition to just the normal "I'm okay, at this location" messages that the normal SPOT devices send --- that might be worth the money for my trail partner and I.

QUOTE] Brian, I have friends that are back country rangers in several of our "Big" parks. If you even say "SPOT" to them, their eyes glass over, they start foaming at the mouth, and they start ranting about insecure yuppies that should have never left the side walk. Seems the biggest back country pain in the a$$ is puesdo hikers with more money than sense that use the emergency function for such dire situations as, "the water tasted funny" , "I saw a bear", " I wasn't sure which fork to take in the trail", and my favorite, "There wasn't any toliet paper in the privy". As with 95% of all gadget owners, it seems Spot owners rarely read the instruction manuals and consequently there's alot of false "911" triggerings by folks learning the device OJT. If you get the GPS/Spot combo, I'd keep it to yourself. Usually if I see someone with a SPOT, I'll find some where else to land. ;)

SMSP
09-07-2010, 17:42
I got to use the 60csx this past weekend and am very pleased with. Finally, I got a GPS that is accurate.

SMSP

SunnyWalker
03-06-2011, 21:22
Magellan GPS. Good products.

Dont Panic
03-16-2011, 20:06
I didn't read this whole thread, just wanted to throw in that I used the Dakota 20 with Out of Order's track line and free maps from http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/ on the CDT last year. They all worked perfectly. I navigated with the ley maps 95% of the time, but the few times I wasn't sure or wanted to find a shortcut I would use the GPS.

SunnyWalker
04-22-2011, 23:15
Sgt. Rock: If you are still interestged the Magellan Triton 400 will go up to 12 hrs., with two AAs. (I formerly said 10, sorry).

fredmugs
04-23-2011, 18:47
Magellan GPS. Good products.

I recently bought an eXplorist 710 mainly because of the Summit Series maps that came with it. I'm not sure if the CDT is on there (probably) but I do know the PCT and the AT are already there. No maps to buy or download and modify.

The other reason I bought it is it has a complete set of city street maps so I can use it for hiking, biking, and driving. And because of the driving portion it also lists all of the hotels, restaurants, post offices, etc for any towns I might get into. Not to mention a camera and video recorder. Plus it has something like 7 Gb of hard drive space and a micro SD slot.

Just checked - CDT is already on my unit.

SunnyWalker
04-23-2011, 19:21
I have recommended to any who care to read my posts the Megellan line of GPS products. I have had three of their GPS units and currently still have an eXplorist, and a Triton 400. Recently I purchased a couple of Macs. My spouse and I are enjoying them. Well, to come to the point, I found out this weekend as I tried to load the software onto my Mac that it won't work. Come to find out Magellan does not support Mac and I won't be able to link these GPS units to my computer. Oh bummer. Oh, what junk! (That was my initial thought). So . . . . . here I go eating my words... I began to look around for Mac supported gps stuff. And guess what? GARMIN! I have been looking at their units and the support available and I am very impressed. I will keep looking but at this point the others will have to beat the Garmin GPS Units.

weary
04-23-2011, 19:50
I've used a Garmin unit, and two Delorme GPS devices. I'm not an expert, but I'm convinced that Delorme provides the best GPS devices.

My favorite is the Delorme 40. The most recent is the Delorme 60, but the difference is the addition of SPOT capability, and more money. Buy the 40 on sale and you won't be disappointed.

SunnyWalker
04-23-2011, 20:43
I'll look Delorme over, Weary. Bottom line with me though will it work with a Mac. I have beet watching the development of the spot. Have thought about using one when I (hopefully) do a thru hike of CDT in future. They sure are handy things. It would give my wife a lot of comfort to have the constant feedback I think.

handlebar
05-01-2011, 13:30
Several posters mentioned buying the Delorme PN-60/SPOT combo. I got a recall notice for the SPOT half of the combo. It seems it might not work in very cold weather. Anyhow, they (SPOT) are handling the recall in a very customer friendly manner. They even emailed a 2nd notice when I didn't respond to the first and are paying shipping both ways.

If you've got this combo and have not received a recall notice (applies to certain serial numbers only), I suggest you check out the SPOT website.

10-K
05-01-2011, 13:34
I have recommended to any who care to read my posts the Megellan line of GPS products. I have had three of their GPS units and currently still have an eXplorist, and a Triton 400. Recently I purchased a couple of Macs. My spouse and I are enjoying them. Well, to come to the point, I found out this weekend as I tried to load the software onto my Mac that it won't work. Come to find out Magellan does not support Mac and I won't be able to link these GPS units to my computer. Oh bummer. Oh, what junk! (That was my initial thought). So . . . . . here I go eating my words... I began to look around for Mac supported gps stuff. And guess what? GARMIN! I have been looking at their units and the support available and I am very impressed. I will keep looking but at this point the others will have to beat the Garmin GPS Units.

Garmin has great software for the Mac! There are also a lot of 3rd party GPS programs for the Mac. So far, I've been able to do everything I've wanted to do with my Garmin eTrex Vista Hcx & Macbook.

SunnyWalker
05-05-2011, 22:47
Thanks 10-K. Are the Dakotas or the Oregon series the latest? Also where does the GPSMAP 62st fit in?

SunnyWalker
05-20-2011, 00:34
I bought the Oregon 450. It does support Macs. No problems liking it to my Mac. I am so very pleasantly surprised by the customer support and all that Garmin offers. Also, the Oregon 450 is performing well so far. I won't go back to Magellan. They were good instruments (had 4 of them). No comparison to the Oregon 450 though. And the customer service offered by Garmin, well Magellan is fine and all that but there is just no comparison. Wow, I would have switched long ago if I had known.

SunnyWalker
05-13-2012, 17:57
I have found that I can add add into the Garmin Oregon 450 SD cards. nice. One can add to a card etc. Also Ifound tgat garmin has a pretty good offer of SD cards already loaded with maps and areas and all.

leaftye
05-13-2012, 18:05
The SD cards are great. I have several maps on mine, along with storing the pictures that the gps takes, waypoints and tracks. Sometimes I use the extra space to store other files, like ebooks and music, although those can't be used with my Oregon 550.

SunnyWalker
05-17-2012, 00:47
Cool, Leafye! Thanks. Hadn't thought of that.

SassyWindsor
05-17-2012, 22:41
Just received a new eTrex 20 (replacement for my old Vista). Updated the firmware, installed a new 16gb microSD card along with some map sw. An excellent unit. Opted not to get the eTrex 30, did not use the compass or the barometer which is on my old Vista (also shortens battery life quicker).

weary
05-18-2012, 17:32
I have a drawer full. They all do basically the same things.

My personal favorite is the Delorme Earthmate, because it is easier to create and upload your own maps. My next purchase will be the Earthmate/Spot unit that is supposed to be available soon:

http://www.delorme.com/about/pressreleases/SPOTcommunicator.htm
Delorme remains my favorite also, though I don't have a great deal of experience. I like Delorme because it does what I need most to do -- create maps for my land trust trails -- and because it's made 25 miles up the road from my home in Maine.

SunnyWalker
05-20-2012, 22:43
Those newly designed eTrex's look pretty neat

bamboo bob
07-20-2012, 17:28
I'm planning for 2013 CDT. I expect to get a Garmin Etrex 20. I'll carry a bunch of maps too. I expect to use the GPS just to find where I am on the maps not instead of the maps. Does that make sense. Doesn't the GPS use up quite a bit of power turne don a lot like it might be if used as a map? I may not be geeky enough for the CDT.

Wise Old Owl
07-20-2012, 19:03
SunnyW. well you did drag up an old thread... and things change in a year.

My Garmin is collecting dust due to apps. - But I am willing to listen to you.

SunnyWalker
07-23-2012, 22:12
Thanks, Wise Old Owl but I am not some fountain of wisdom on GPS. I just think they are real cool and neato and do some great things. That said, I am getting ready for a 2013 thru hike of CDT and am looking at using my GPS Unit. I am looking and reading as much as I can on map and compass (though i fee real good on my amt of knowledge there) and the GPS unit. I wish to tap all I can of this marvelous device while on CDT. I seem to read that lots of CDTrs waste an hour a day or more trying to figure out WHERE they are and etc., along those lines. I did recently purchase the SD cards that will take me through CDT from Garmin. I wanted something I did not have to download and secure on a sd card. I did a quick looksee of the NM card and it sure looks pretty good to me. I am using them with an Oregon 450 (Garmin). I gave up my Magellan I was using for hiking as it won't tie into a Mac. Still have my Magellan Explorist XL. I could not part with it. Its so neat. To big and heavy for hiking though.

SunnyWalker
07-23-2012, 22:14
That all said, I think one of the neatest things GPS Units do is give you yoru coordinates (location). I am training myself to locate that position on the map and vice versa. One of the comments I see as I read and hear about CDTrs is "Where in the _________ are we?!!!?!?? (huh, huh). For that about any GPS Unit would work, would not have to be a mapping gps unit. Take care.