PDA

View Full Version : Black Diamond Trail Shock Compact Trekking Pole

Matty427
01-26-2010, 15:33
Does anyone have any opinions on these trekking poles? I picked up a pair on steepandcheap today because of the amazing price. They seem to have good reviews on REI and amazon, but trust you all more.

Many Walks
01-26-2010, 19:50
I love my Black Diamond Terra poles, but they are a different series than yours. Never really cared for anti shock poles of any brand. I prefer a solid placement. If they feel good to you it was a great deal! Enjoy your hikes!

RWK
01-26-2010, 22:04
I have them and really like them. I prefer the flip locks like these instead of twist lock.

10-K
01-27-2010, 05:41
Does anyone have any opinions on these trekking poles? I picked up a pair on steepandcheap today because of the amazing price. They seem to have good reviews on REI and amazon, but trust you all more.

I use Black Diamond poles and prefer them to my son's Leki's. Like RWK said, the flip lock is way better than the twist lock.

Matty427
01-27-2010, 20:29
I did some more looking around and I guess I should have read the description closer. They're compact, which I assumed meant they collapse to a smaller pole. Actually, it mean that the handgrips are smaller and perfect for "a female or teenage hiker."

I learned for next time to make sure to read the description more carefully. Luckily they have a return policy - but I'm glad to hear about the fliklock system - I've heard nothing but good things.

mak52580
01-27-2010, 23:39
Matty - I wouldn't worry about it too much. I also have Black Diamond Trail poles and love them. I could go with something lighter like the GG4 poles, but the grips and flip locks can't be beat IMHO

darkage
02-01-2010, 21:41
GAH!, i just bought a pair and hadn't noticed the compact off steep and cheap untill i read this thread ... i'm 6'3 and doubt the grips gonna be bigger enough for me when they arrive ... i hate sending items back ...

Matty427
02-02-2010, 00:38
Mine are set to arrive tomorrow. I'm going to at least feel the grips and make a decision. I'm not too small nor too large so may be OK. I'm only 5' 8" which is shorter than lots of teenagers, so who knows!?! I'll let you know and maybe post some pics.

darkage
02-06-2010, 14:24
Well? Mine arrive this week ... how much smaller are the grips ?

Matty427
02-06-2010, 22:03
Sorry I didn't get back sooner. They arrived in the packaging that blocked me from getting a total grip but they were just a little too small. I mean, I could have lived with them but I know it would be annoying to be just a little too small. I sent them back and will be picking up something from REI after getting my hands on them.

Sassafras Lass
03-06-2010, 15:33
I did what I told myself I never would and bought my poles sight unseen. I ended up going with the Black Diamond Ergo poles: http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/trekking-poles/trail-ergo-cork Got them for only $79.99. They are sturdy and extremely comfortable and the handles are perfect - cork and set at a 15 degree angle. Tomorrow is my day off so it's off into the woods with DH to try them out properly on some non-fabricated terrain. :) I don't expect any issues and am prematurely sold on Black Diamond in general.

hikingshoes
03-20-2010, 23:17
BD trekking poles are back on steep and cheap for 49.99 with 17mins left.HS

NJAquaman
08-26-2010, 12:22
I did what I told myself I never would and bought my poles sight unseen. I ended up going with the Black Diamond Ergo poles: http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/mountain/trekking-poles/trail-ergo-cork Got them for only $79.99. They are sturdy and extremely comfortable and the handles are perfect - cork and set at a 15 degree angle. Tomorrow is my day off so it's off into the woods with DH to try them out properly on some non-fabricated terrain. :) I don't expect any issues and am prematurely sold on Black Diamond in general.

Good call Gheparda, I am very pleased with my Black Diamond Trail Ergo Cork handled Trekking Poles. Thanks for the link.

STICK
09-05-2010, 23:00
I am due to get new poles, eventually... I am considering something such as the BD Ergo poles, but I wonder how these would work when using the poles to set up my tarp. I know that the poles are only angled 15%, but I wonder if they are harder to stand up straight to hold the tarp up. Anyone use these type of poles with their shelter set-ups?

Matty427
09-08-2010, 21:42
I use the Blue Diamond Contour Ellipticals - with the 15 degree corrective angle - with my lightheart solo tent - no problems at all. I know it's not the same as your tarp, but for me the angle doesn't change things at all.

PS - Great blog stick! I love watching your AT trip videos when I've got trail fever.

wvgrinder
09-16-2010, 16:01
I love my BD poles. The FlickLocks are excellent. I never thought I'd use poles-but now my knees are thanking me!