PDA

View Full Version : Tents vs. Hammocks

Matty427
01-26-2010, 16:04
I'm shopping around for shelters for my 3-week solo section hike this summer from Springer to Hot Springs and have been leaning more and more towards a hammock. I was curious what the pros and cons of each are.

The tent I'm looking at is the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1.
The hammock I'm looking at is the warbonnet blackbird.

I like the idea of a hammock - especially for summer nights. I'm a teacher and will only really be hiking in the summer. But I like the flexibility that a tent would offer in being able to move around a little bit more and try to organize.

I know there are lots of hammock die-hards and am not looking for a flame war - just some more input and opinions before I make a decision.

take-a-knee
01-26-2010, 16:11
Dude, get the blackbird, depending on your bodyweight, I'd reccomend the double layer 1.1 oz version. You can use an evazote pad in between the layers for warmth. I really don't understand your "get organized" remark. Organize what? My food bag is hung PCT style from a nearby tree. My nearly empty pack is hung from the hammock ridgeline, along with my cook kit and rain gear. The Warbonnet has a "shelf", actually a pocket that holds small items you may need during the night. Also, get a good tarp like an OES Macat or another caternary cut hammock tarp. The non-caternary cut tarps can flap like a drum in a stiff wind, enough to keep you awake.

SGT Rock
01-26-2010, 16:20
Have you slept in a hammock yet? I'm just saying, as much as I love them, they ain't for everyone.

1azarus
01-26-2010, 16:22
... i've got to agree with take-a-knee... for summer use a hammock is just so much more comfortable for us old men (well, you are thirty already!). IMHO it is only in the winter when under insulation becomes a bigger issue that there's more reason to consider a tent. the options for site selection are so much better, by the way -- you can much more easily find the perfect view and breeze spot for a hammock than for a tent. Just spend some time playing with your hammock before you start your hike.

Red Hat
01-26-2010, 17:55
Warbonnet Blackbird for sure!

take-a-knee
01-26-2010, 18:23
Have you slept in a hammock yet? I'm just saying, as much as I love them, they ain't for everyone.

That is true, some people deserve to be on the ground with their reptilian associates.

h. hastings
01-26-2010, 19:26
I've slept in tents and I've slept in a hammock. If I can help it, I'll never sleep on the ground again.

YMMV

Bearpaw
01-26-2010, 19:48
I like the idea of a hammock - especially for summer nights. I'm a teacher and will only really be hiking in the summer. But I like the flexibility that a tent would offer in being able to move around a little bit more and try to organize.

The BA Seedhouse SL1 offers only a little more room than a tall coffin. Under my tarp, I have LOTS of room to move around and still be protected from rain.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/5/0/2/5/013a_778968.jpg

You have to improvise a bit more for privacy, so if you hang near a shelter, face your tarp-down side toward the shelter to have a spot to change away from others' eyes.

For me, I can't imagine being cooped up inside such a small tent as the one you mention for very long. A two-person model like the Hubba Hubba would be much more livable. But it's the Blackbird and tarp all the way for me.

papa john
01-26-2010, 20:44
The BA Seedhouse SL1 offers only a little more room than a tall coffin. Under my tarp, I have LOTS of room to move around and still be protected from rain.

You have to improvise a bit more for privacy, so if you hang near a shelter, face your tarp-down side toward the shelter to have a spot to change away from others' eyes.

For me, I can't imagine being cooped up inside such a small tent as the one you mention for very long. A two-person model like the Hubba Hubba would be much more livable. But it's the Blackbird and tarp all the way for me.

Bearpaw - is that a Speer Winter Tarp?
John

Bearpaw
01-26-2010, 20:52
Bearpaw - is that a Speer Winter Tarp?
John

Yes. I like it a lot, but I will likely soon go to my newest obsession, the Warbonnet Big Mamajamba with detachable door flaps.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/bearpawat99/misc/WBMJdoors.jpg

It gives incredible coverage in the stealthiest color I've seen in a hammock tarp yet. In warmer weather, when cold wind is not an issue, I can leave the 8 ounces worth of doors home.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/bearpawat99/misc/WBMJnodoors.jpg

I've been really impresses with what I've seen from Brandon at Warbonnet. I love my Blackbird, and I will likely get the tarp and Yeti underquilt this spring.

papa john
01-26-2010, 21:05
Yep, I have the WB Traveler and just traded a JRB BMBH for a WB Blackbird. I have the Speer Winter Tarp too. Nice tarp. I'll have to look closer at the WM Mambo!

Matty427
01-26-2010, 21:20
Thanks for all of the input everyone - I suppose my biggest hesitation with going with a hammock is rain - namely what to do with my gear when it's raining out - is there enough room for me and my stuff in a blackbird? I'm assuming though that if the gets like that, I can simply hop into a shelter though, so it's probably a moot point anyway.

Looks like mostly great things to say about the blackbird so I'll probably be ordering one soon while they're still available within 2-3 days!

moytoy
01-26-2010, 21:27
Thanks for all of the input everyone - I suppose my biggest hesitation with going with a hammock is rain - namely what to do with my gear when it's raining out - is there enough room for me and my stuff in a blackbird? I'm assuming though that if the gets like that, I can simply hop into a shelter though, so it's probably a moot point anyway.

I'm pretty sure that the tarp is for keeping your pack dry. I'm following these tent vs. hammock threads with interest. Two months ago I would have not even thought about a hammock. Now I'm not so sure. I have time to consider though. I have a good tent and my planned thru hike cannot happen until I retire.

Bearpaw
01-26-2010, 21:40
I suppose my biggest hesitation with going with a hammock is rain - namely what to do with my gear when it's raining out - is there enough room for me and my stuff in a blackbird?

Carry a pack cover. Your pack will be mostly empty by the time your hammock is set up. Pull the shoulder straps and hipbelt inside the pack cover as well and hang the pack from the suspension like you see in the picture of my rig with the Speer Winter Tarp.

I also use a Sea-to-Summit lightweight dry bag for my food bag, so when I hang it, it also stays dry. Every thing else is under the tarp, either attached to the suspension or in the very roomy storage shelf of the Blackbird.

With good site selection, you can keep your gear reasonably dry with a tent also, but I find it easier to stay dry in my hammock. I put up the tarp, then put up my hammock under it. It's trickier to put up a tent in the rain without wetting the interior. Granted, I'm not gonna melt from a little rain, but I like my options with my hammock.

take-a-knee
01-26-2010, 21:42

Looks like mostly great things to say about the blackbird so I'll probably be ordering one soon while they're still available within 2-3 days!

Well then, the hammock is a slam-dunk choice. In a downpour, you can set your tarp up first, then the hammock, then unpack your pack under the tarp. Like I said in my first post, once you've eaten and the food bag is hung PCT style nearby, there isn't much left in your pack but what clothing your aren't wearing and your cook kit. That gets hung from the hammock ridgeline, under the tarp.

Compare that to setting up a mesh type tent (like your chosen SL-1) in a downpour. You need to stake the corners out first, then install the poles, all the while trying to keep the thing from turning into a kidde pool. If you do decide to get a tent, by all means get a tarptent from Henry Shires.

Bearpaw
01-26-2010, 21:44
I'm pretty sure that the tarp is for keeping your pack dry. I'm following these tent vs. hammock threads with interest. Two months ago I would have not even thought about a hammock. Now I'm not so sure. I have time to consider though. I have a good tent and my planned thru hike cannot happen until I retire.

If weight is your primary issue, you can likely tent, especially a tarptent, lighter than a hammock, at least during colder months. Underquilts or extra padding for underinsulation definitely add up,a nd if you go the underquilt route, this can get expensive. During warmer weather, weight evens out for the most part.

You might consider tenting in the colder start of a hike, then switch to hammocks in the warmer months.

If comfort and quality of sleep trumps all, the hammock will probably be the better bet. Just my opinion.

Hooch
01-26-2010, 22:11
Warbonnet puts out a doggone fine product. I still love my BlackBird hammock and am seriously considering a set of his 4 season top quilt and underquilt for winter/cold weather use.

Kerosene
01-26-2010, 22:19
I've got to weigh in on this one...

I mostly gravitate to a tent, but only because I tend to section hike in the cooler late Fall/early Spring months and have been hesitant to try to figure out hammock insulation.

I'm an inveterate side-sleeper, but the most comfortable nights I've had, by far, were in a Hennessey hammock above 60F. I disliked the need to bring a wide, closed-cell foam pad, but once I got everything positioned I slept like a log. I'd take a good look at the Warbonnet for warm-weather use before springing for the tent.

Tipi Walter
01-26-2010, 22:27
That is true, some people deserve to be on the ground with their reptilian associates.

Did Matty427 say he wasn't looking for a flame war?

singing wind
01-26-2010, 23:26
Having hiked with the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL1, a tarptent, and a hammock I'll take the hammock with a good size tarp any day for versatility, comfort, and just plain all around being able to set up almost anywhere. At least for the AT..

The SL1 is a tiny tent, albeit fairly easy to set up with little room for gear and virtually no room to dry out.

The tarptent was an interesting experiment - nice idea, great weight factor, but still not enough wiggle room and also very little room to dry out.

Hammock, mmmm... That was an experiment also. After over 20 years of tenting I have come to realize that tents have their place as do hammocks. I really like being able to put the hammock tarp up in good or foul weather, sitting dry underneath or whatever needs to be done to complete the setup. Gear, cooking, and generally lounging can be done in a variety of ways - and oh, trees are usually much easier for set up than hiking miles to find a suitable tent site.

The pack usually gets hung in an adjacent tree similar to how other posters have mentioned.

To each their own -

Tipi Walter
01-27-2010, 01:31
I just got back from a butt cold trip at 5,000 feet and had to spend 3 nights and 4 days in a tent during a snowstorm at -5F to -10F temps(see fotog). See Trip Reports and the Tennessee Arctic. There's no way I'd want to sit in a hammock for 4 days and there's no way I'd want to hang out under a hammock's tarp in the flesh eating wind, either. Something to consider for guys wanting to stay out for weeks at a time in rough conditions.

Some other negatories:
** For a full winter set up you start approaching the weight of a four season tent(Akto at 3.5 lbs).
** The demanding necessity of staying warm no matter what(i.e. at -10F).
** The occasional desire to set up on open balds in treeless meadows.
** The sometimes heavy rain water drippings from hammock tree tie-outs.
** Cooking inside the hammock and out of the wind and spindrift snow.
** Can't use an open candle flame inside to keep fingers warm when reading and writing, etc. This is important on long cold trips.

moytoy
01-27-2010, 05:11
I just got back from a butt cold trip at 5,000 feet and had to spend 3 nights and 4 days in a tent during a snowstorm at -5F to -10F temps(see fotog). See Trip Reports and the Tennessee Arctic. There's no way I'd want to sit in a hammock for 4 days and there's no way I'd want to hang out under a hammock's tarp in the flesh eating wind, either. Something to consider for guys wanting to stay out for weeks at a time in rough conditions.

Some other negatories:
** For a full winter set up you start approaching the weight of a four season tent(Akto at 3.5 lbs).
** Can't use an open candle flame inside to keep fingers warm when reading and writing, etc. This is important on long cold trips.

All good points to consider Tipi. The OP did state his objective was a summer time trip. And Bear did suggest starting out early with a tent and switching to the hammock. The tent I'm using now is one I bought in 1977 from an outfitter in N Ga. It's not a UL but is about 4LB, I'm due for an upgrade before I start my thru. I'm not in a hurry tho. I can't start before I'm 67. 4 more years.:-?

Maddog
01-27-2010, 06:04
for a summer hike i'd definitely go with a hammock...i'll never go back to tenting! :)

russb
01-27-2010, 06:21
I do not view a hammock as the shelter, it is part of the sleeping system like ones pad. For me. Asking between a tent or hammock is like asking between an alcohol stove or titanium pot. The question does not compute. The hammock is not ones shelter; the shelter is the tarp. There are many different types of tarps just as there are many different types of tents. The tarp used in winter is different than the tarp used in summer, just as the sleeping bag used in winter is different than the one used in summer. Under the tarp one can choose to hang the hammock, or sleep directly on the ground.

Maddog
01-27-2010, 06:26
I do not view a hammock as the shelter, it is part of the sleeping system like ones pad. For me. Asking between a tent or hammock is like asking between an alcohol stove or titanium pot. The question does not compute. The hammock is not ones shelter; the shelter is the tarp. There are many different types of tarps just as there are many different types of tents. The tarp used in winter is different than the tarp used in summer, just as the sleeping bag used in winter is different than the one used in summer. Under the tarp one can choose to hang the hammock, or sleep directly on the ground.

thanks for clearing that up! :):rolleyes:

take-a-knee
01-27-2010, 08:19

Some other negatories:

All good points Tipi. You CAN stay warm in a hammock at minus 20, but I don't ever plan to try it. Your Atko is likely the best way to go if you want to be able to set up on open balds as you do. If I planned to do winter hikes as you apparently sometimes do, where you spend more than one night in the same location, I would consider a Titanium Goat tipi and stove system.

Toolshed
01-27-2010, 08:25
I still tent in the winter and with my son for cub scouts, but I hang in the 3 seasons (Down to 45d). Been hanging for only 2 years now.

Mentally, I hate crawling into a tent now. Makes me feel like a bottom-dweller for some reason - Just the thought of crawling on the ground instead of walking over to, and sitting back in my hammock.:sun

moytoy
01-27-2010, 09:36
You think a barr might take a swing at a hammock just to see what's in it? When I was a kid we hiked with a man who used a hammock. My father and others used to call out to him in the night to see if a bear had carried him away. He seemed to always be on edge. I'm just sayin.....

GeneralLee10
01-27-2010, 10:16
Black Bear or Brown Bear it does not matter to them if your in a hammock or a tent think about it. The curiosity of a bear can be very interesting if they like the smell your there snack:eek:. If you think for some reason that a tent is going to save you from a bear attack you are in for a BIG surprise. Some reading should be done about them if it is a concern. We as humans have to understand that we are in there yard not ours. There is a thing called the food chain and WE all are a part of it correct:-?.

tomsuper
01-28-2010, 22:39
love my warbonnet theres no waking up in a puddle and will definately upgrade to one of brandons tarps with removeable side doors.awesome sleeping wish my wife would let me set it up indoors.

Tinker
01-28-2010, 22:42
Dude, get the blackbird, depending on your bodyweight, I'd reccomend the double layer 1.1 oz version. You can use an evazote pad in between the layers for warmth. I really don't understand your "get organized" remark. Organize what? My food bag is hung PCT style from a nearby tree. My nearly empty pack is hung from the hammock ridgeline, along with my cook kit and rain gear. The Warbonnet has a "shelf", actually a pocket that holds small items you may need during the night. Also, get a good tarp like an OES Macat or another caternary cut hammock tarp. The non-caternary cut tarps can flap like a drum in a stiff wind, enough to keep you awake.

I would hang my cook kit with my food. To an animal's nose they are the same thing.

Tinker
01-28-2010, 22:45
You can do this for privacy.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=38474&catid=member&imageuser=2502

take-a-knee
01-28-2010, 23:30
I would hang my cook kit with my food. To an animal's nose they are the same thing.

Yeah, I've thought about that. I just about exclusively freezer bag cook now. But I still have a coffee cup in the kit. That might be all it takes to cause a problem though. Point well taken.

prain4u
02-01-2010, 03:08
Some other negatories:
** The occasional desire to set up on open balds in treeless meadows......

I carry two small lightweight poles (about 28 inches tall). I can setup my hammock and tarp on the ground like a tent whenever there are not any appropriate trees around.

It is not the best setup in the world--but it works

Hooch
02-01-2010, 08:48
.......I still have a coffee cup in the kit. That might be all it takes to cause a problem though. Point well taken.Come on, now. Everybody knows that bears like tea, not coffee. I would have thought you would know that. :D

take-a-knee
02-01-2010, 10:04
Come on, now. Everybody knows that bears like tea, not coffee. I would have thought you would know that. :D

Thanks for squaring me away Hooch!

Hooch
02-01-2010, 10:10
Thanks for squaring me away Hooch!
Anytime!

(The message you have entered is too short, blah, blah, blah.......)

sparky2000
02-01-2010, 10:27
You sure are planning a fast trip to Hot Springs! Most of ur trip will be in the Smokies where hanging a hammock is not hard but is it legal? Will u want the company of the shelters? I did the Smokies with the Sl-1 always at the shelters with other people, and the bears, skunks, hogs, ect. but didn't mind the people.

Hokie
02-01-2010, 10:43
You think a barr might take a swing at a hammock just to see what's in it? When I was a kid we hiked with a man who used a hammock. My father and others used to call out to him in the night to see if a bear had carried him away. He seemed to always be on edge. I'm just sayin.....

Many contend the opposite is true with respect to bears. Bears are habitual and much more familiar with tents but especially tent sites. There are not that many so they are likely to frequent them whereas hammock sites abound and their random locations are not likely to habituate a bears nightly rounds unless you hang near shelters. Don't know for sure, but he answer is up for debate.

cavscout
02-01-2010, 10:44
The bear wont know if I last drank regular or decaf. If he's not careful he'll be up all night tossing and turning and I'll get the last laugh! BwaaaHahahaha haahaa haaaa! Sort of :)

BrianLe
02-01-2010, 14:24
The other point is about statistics; I don't recall ever hearing about a bear attacking a hammock. I think there have been a couple of lightening strikes, but no bears.

I'd be more afraid of elk or moose. From this article (http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/14053664/detail.html):
"Wildlife officials say this problem occurs every fall, when the breeding season is just beginning, and elk like to spar with things like hammocks, volleyball nets, tire swings, or anything that moves".

I've been hammock camping and heard elk bugling and walking along the path not too far from where I was (bugling is also a breeding-season thing, I believe).

My wife wasn't thrilled at hammock camping in part because she envisioned herself becoming a "bear taco", whereas I think it's (very slightly) more likely to become an elk pinata! :-)

SassyWindsor
02-05-2011, 21:50

Some other negatories:

I've been researching the possibility of using a hammock for 2 season use, some reasons pointed out above, cold and freezing rain, are why I say 2 season. Even for 2 season use I probably can only use it about 60 or so percent of the time, I'd have to change up from the way I tent to compensate. I still question on how to cook from my sleeping bag without a stump to use or getting completely out of my warm bag. I too use a candle lantern, thanks for the tip. The only thing I'm not too concerned about is lightning running in. So far the hammock purchase doesn't look too promising.

SouthMark
02-05-2011, 22:33
Some of the posters here that keep posting the negatives of hammock camping appear to have never tried it. That is somewhat like me posting the negatives of using a Jet Boil Stove. I have never used one. For the naysayers to cold weather use, check out the 2011 Roan Mountain Higher Colder Winter Hang February 11-13 thread over on Hammock Forums, or the Mount Rogers hang thread, or the Michigan sub 0 hang thread, or Shugs -27 hang over there.

SassyWindsor
02-06-2011, 01:11
I just went over to the Roan Hang forum, reads like a lot of hangers may be backing out due to the harsh winter weather conditions. It reads to me like a 4 season tent and equipment would end up being lighter, warmer and withstand the high winds better, I could be wrong however. As I've said before I really want a hammock for spring/summer use, just don't won't to waste a lot of money and certainly don't won't to increase pack weight over my tent.

High winds and a hammock just doesn't seem to be practical. I could only imagine the work, as well as the tarp(s) it would take to keep the wind away from the hammock I've stayed in a good 4 season tent in extremely high winds and had no problems at all. Had a lot of wind noise but zero movement. Not to mention any wind chill I missed by not hanging in mid-air. I'm not wanting to be convinced to use a hammock in winter, I'm just wanting one to occasionally use in warm weather, thats all. Hammocks do have a use, I'm just trying to decide if it's something for me.

SouthMark
02-06-2011, 09:35
Not trying to convince anyone of anything. Just wanted to point out that hammocks are fine for winter camping. BTW I am the only one that is backing out of the Roan Mtn hang and I would be backing out if it were tent camping for the same reasons. As for the high winds, they are no more of a problem for a hammock than they are for a tent. Hammockers can pitch their tarp in tent mode, sides to the ground and ends closed.

russb
02-06-2011, 09:57
I use a hammock year round in the Adirondacks. I have dealt with high winds and sub-zero temps just fine.

I also think some are confused about hammocks because all they know are the hennesy brand where the tarp is just a top covering and the hammock is exposed on all sides and bottom. For most other hammocks, this is not the case. My hammock and tarp more resembles a double wall tent, where the hammock body and bugnet are the inner wall, and the 360deg coverage tarp is the outer wall. There is no "wind chill" in my setup any more than there is in a nylon tent. That said, winter hammocking is not for everyone, just like winter tenting is not for everyone. There are tents best used in summer only, and some built for winter use. The same is true for a hammock setup. In the end, most people who 4-season camp do not use the same gear for all 4 seasons. I doubt the winter "hot-tent" people bring that same gear in the summer, just like I don't bring my summer hammock set-up in the winter. In the end, the hammock doesn't replace the tent. The hammock is a "cot", one that is really comfortable. If you have a four season tent, it can be modified (if big enough) to accept a hammock suspension. The hammock isn't the weather protection, that is the job of the tarp, or tent, or cabin, whatever the hammock is inside. I am also not trying to convince anyone; in fact it would be better for me if less people took up hammocking. Saves all the perfect trees at the campsites for me.

leaftye
02-06-2011, 10:31
As for the high winds, they are no more of a problem for a hammock than they are for a tent.

Really? From my experiences, a high wind winter storm involves fallen branches, trees and ice. This makes setting up away from trees, or at least tall trees, a good idea. A tent can be set up away from these hazards, whereas a hammock must accept an increased level of risk. Granted, if your hammock set up uses a pad, setting up on the ground is still an option.

gunner76
02-06-2011, 10:48
There will be a hammock hang in Hot Springs NC this spring where you can check out many different hammock setups.

Get a Warbonnet BlackBird hammock. If you do not like it you can sell it for almost what you paid for it. Used ones will sell in a matter of hours on Hammockforums.net.

Sleeping in a hammock is very comfortable. My only complaint is having to get up to answers natures call.

Watch Shug's videos on hammock camping, stoves ect http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpBUV0. very funny and you will learn alot.

Hammocks have been used to camp out in -35 degrees temps.

I have been camping/hiking since the 60's and I feel like I have more place to hang than I do tenting options.

I never would have been able to set up a tent in the location shown in these pictures due to the tree roots.

leaftye
02-06-2011, 11:14
I never would have been able to set up a tent in the location shown in these pictures due to the tree roots.

Really? I guess it's a matter of experience. I suppose that might be somewhat challenging for a rigid freestanding tent, but shouldn't be a problem for any tarp and a few tarptents. Actually, I'd say the most challenging part would be setting the stakes, although that's still an issue with a hammock if you use your tarp.

Bearpaw
02-06-2011, 12:43
Really? I guess it's a matter of experience. I suppose that might be somewhat challenging for a rigid freestanding tent, but shouldn't be a problem for any tarp and a few tarptents. Actually, I'd say the most challenging part would be setting the stakes, although that's still an issue with a hammock if you use your tarp.

That's the northern section of the Neusiok Trail along the Neuse River near Havelock, NC. I've hiked the trail several times before, and it abounds with tree roots and cypress knees. You could wedge in a tarp attached to trees and be okay (which is what you would do with a hammock tarp as well), but I highly doubt you could get a decent tight pitch with a tarptent, shy of using snow stakes (which I often did on open beach when I camped in other sites in the region). Even so, you would likely notice a root jabbing into your back about 10 minutes after you lay down to sleep.

rjcress
02-09-2011, 10:17
Really? From my experiences, a high wind winter storm involves fallen branches, trees and ice. This makes setting up away from trees, or at least tall trees, a good idea. A tent can be set up away from these hazards, whereas a hammock must accept an increased level of risk. Granted, if your hammock set up uses a pad, setting up on the ground is still an option.

As a recent hammock convert who previously only used tents for several decades, I have to agree... somewhat.
I can always use a hiking pole to set up my tarp and use the hammock as a bivy sack on the ground.
...but the general point is well taken. Falling branches can be deadly for tent or hammock campers, but at least setting up on the ground means you can pick a site away from trees and avoid that risk all together.
As others have said, each has its place.
I just find that I prefer a hammock whenever possible because I can actually sleep all night and not wake up feeling like I've been in a boxing match... as I often do when tent camping.

rjcress
02-09-2011, 10:29
I saw a couple of mentions of not being able to use a candle in a hammock.
Personally, I'm not a fan of an open flame in a tent or hammock, but there are a number of hammock campers that are successfully using a candle lantern in their hammock. Some use this:
http://gear-report.com/camping-homemade-diy-candle-lantern/
Others use commercially available models.

The point is that it can be done safely for warmth or the morale boost that many draw from the flame.

What you can't get from the hammock is the direct interaction that you get with a tentmate. It is possible to pitch hammock tarps in "honeymoon suite" mode where multiple hammocks can be under the same tarp, but it isn't quite the same as being in the same tent with your traveling partner.

Hoofit
02-09-2011, 11:08
In the Smokies last year the 'hammockers' could set up with few problems near shelters and water, whereas the 'tenters', like me, had to wait until the shelters were pretty much full before we could set up camp for the night, due to Ridge runner rules and the Park's desire to see the shelters get used.
Less impact on the park I guess - so long as you clean up good...

Chubbs4U
03-02-2011, 00:16
I hear a lot about the Warbonnet hammocks. Anyone have a Hennessy hammock? Whats the big difference between the 2?

Raul Perez
03-02-2011, 09:18
I did a video series on the two going head to head (Here's Part 1). This is my personal experiences with the hammocks. Also, this series was shot about a year before Hennessey made a zippered hammock instead of just using the bottom entry method.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg4dumdEHAU

Raul Perez
03-02-2011, 09:49

My winter set up (hammock & Tarp) only weigh 2.5lbs

If you add the sleeping bag and bottom insulation you are getting at 5lbs. This set up is only good down to 0 degrees for me (slightly cool sleeper). But I have no desire to get below 0*F in a hammock or tent. Lowest I've gotten was 3*F in a hammock.

Raul

Trail Bug
03-02-2011, 12:03
I have never tried a hammock, always used a tent. Maybe a hammock user can answer this. When raining what keeps the water from running down the lines and getting you and the sleeping bag all wet? Just from looking at the pictures I don't see how you stay dry. Other than that they look pretty cozy.

Raul Perez
03-02-2011, 12:10
Some use drip strings (ie cotton fabric hung from the suspension line) which intercepts the water and drips down before it hits the hammock.

I dont and I've never had a problem. The use of a tarp keeps everything dry underneath even in nasty rain.

Some tarps can have removable doors for more protection or for use in winter.

blitz1
03-06-2011, 15:11
I've never used a hammock, but am interested after reading these posts. But I like to sleep on my stomach - is that possible in a hammock? seems like you'd have to be a back or side sleeper...

adam.skinner
03-08-2011, 17:14
I've never used a hammock, but am interested after reading these posts. But I like to sleep on my stomach - is that possible in a hammock? seems like you'd have to be a back or side sleeper...

When I sleep in a bed, I tend to sleep on my stomach or side as well, due to difficulty breathing through my nose (I like to open my nasal passage by pressing my head against the pillow). Around 9 months ago I started sleeping in a hammock (http://www.seasidehammocks.com/JEWEL-DOUBLE-HAMMOCK-p184.html) every night in my bedroom, and this has ceased to be a problem. I've found I sleep better, am more comfortable, and have no trouble breathing. I sleep on my back or side, however.

If you absolutely must sleep on your stomach for some reason, "bridge hammocks (http://www.jacksrbetter.com/BMBH.htm)" lay exceptionally flat and will accommodate that approach. You may find, as I did, that in a hammock you don't need to sleep on your stomach anymore.

Tinker
03-08-2011, 19:07
I have never tried a hammock, always used a tent. Maybe a hammock user can answer this. When raining what keeps the water from running down the lines and getting you and the sleeping bag all wet? Just from looking at the pictures I don't see how you stay dry. Other than that they look pretty cozy.

Other than drip lines you can use drip rings (metal rings) between the hammock and the hanging rope or strapping. Since I use carabiners, I don't need them. The water runs down the rope, onto the carabiner (which is under my tarp, out of the rain) and drips harmlessly onto the ground.

1forcamping
03-11-2011, 22:26

Just keep a thick trash bag with you. You can put your whole pack in, and toss it right under your hammock. This is especially nice when you're getting stuff in and out of the pack while it's raining, since you can reach everything from bed while still keeping it protected from rain. It also acts as a pack liner.

kayak karl
03-11-2011, 22:35
rock may be right, you also. either way how have you idiots been?? LOL

lori
03-11-2011, 22:42

I go with tent folks (sometimes I use a tent too, most of the time not).

I was the only one in a hammock and the only one not drying out my gear in the sun the next day. Everyone else had to sit in their tents out of the pouring rain. I sat in my hammock like a chair and boiled water, hung wet hiking clothes to dry, and had everything - pack and all - hanging off the ground so it was neither wet nor muddy.

Everyone else had their sleeping bags out to dry in the sun due to condensation and having rain pour in the door of their end entry tent whenever they got in or out. They had to take off their rain gear inside - I did that under the tarp before sitting in the hammock without getting the rain gear in the hammock itself.

When I use a hammock I am usually able to keep everything cleaner than when sleeping on the ground with a tarp (my usual choice in alpine areas) or tenting (only when I know it will rain and we're somewhere treeless).

Tinker
03-15-2011, 16:48
I go with tent folks (sometimes I use a tent too, most of the time not).

I was the only one in a hammock and the only one not drying out my gear in the sun the next day. Everyone else had to sit in their tents out of the pouring rain. I sat in my hammock like a chair and boiled water, hung wet hiking clothes to dry, and had everything - pack and all - hanging off the ground so it was neither wet nor muddy.

Everyone else had their sleeping bags out to dry in the sun due to condensation and having rain pour in the door of their end entry tent whenever they got in or out. They had to take off their rain gear inside - I did that under the tarp before sitting in the hammock without getting the rain gear in the hammock itself.

When I use a hammock I am usually able to keep everything cleaner than when sleeping on the ground with a tarp (my usual choice in alpine areas) or tenting (only when I know it will rain and we're somewhere treeless).

Thank you, Lori. I couldn't have said it better myself. Instead of having to tie a whole sopping wet tent to the outside of my pack I may have to stick the tarp into a side pocket or something. Tarps, being flat and open to the wind when hung on a line or tree branch, dry out in no time, too. Then there's the issue of heeding nature's call at night. Being a guy, I usually just have to aim out into the rain and downhill, then crawl back into the bag which is wrapped around my hammock. No crawling in the mud on hands and knees.

R00K
04-25-2011, 20:37
Go with the hammock young padawan, and may the force hang with you.

TAS
05-12-2011, 14:01
Hammock and tarp, lower cost and weight?

What do you do then there is nothing to tie them to?

John

TAS
05-12-2011, 14:22
Let me forward another question here, if this has been asked or settled already, sorry.

I sleep on my sides, I see a hammock like turning you into, the

Hunchback of Notre Dame

????

John

Raul Perez
05-12-2011, 21:21
Hammock and tarp, lower cost and weight?

What do you do then there is nothing to tie them to?

John

Clearly you read a map and see if there's trees in the location you're traveling. Since this site is dedicated to the AT primarily and many have hiked the entire trail in hammocks you shouldnt have anything to worry about.

Raul Perez
05-12-2011, 21:26
Let me forward another question here, if this has been asked or settled already, sorry.

I sleep on my sides, I see a hammock like turning you into, the

Hunchback of Notre Dame

????

John

Many who are side sleepers seem to sleep fine on their back in a hammock (I'm one of them) Others have successfully sleep on their sides in gathered end hammocks.

A Bear Mountain Bridge hammock has a much more flatter lay but is a bit heavier. Many switch to that hammock because it is easier to side sleep.

Hunchback of Notre Dame... only if you're French.

TAS
05-13-2011, 12:11
Many who are side sleepers seem to sleep fine on their back in a hammock (I'm one of them) Others have successfully sleep on their sides in gathered end hammocks.

A Bear Mountain Bridge hammock has a much more flatter lay but is a bit heavier. Many switch to that hammock because it is easier to side sleep.

Hunchback of Notre Dame... only if you're French.

Thanks for the tip, I will take a look that them,. 37 oz is very close to the double blackbird and I like this one a lot, you can use it on the ground.

I did a section at Springer and Harpers about 7 years ago, there was trees there, if I remember, LOL

Its the BELLS that make me write like this:D

Thanks again
John

nehiker
05-13-2011, 17:51
Clearly you read a map and see if there's trees in the location you're traveling. Since this site is dedicated to the AT primarily and many have hiked the entire trail in hammocks you shouldnt have anything to worry about.

Wouldn't this be a problem at all legal campsites along the AT from I-93 to Pinkham Notch, except at Ethan Pond? The trees are kind of small there.

Raul Perez
05-13-2011, 18:28
Not sure I've only hiked the NY Section so far (finishing up late June this year) and I havent had a problem anywhere here even at legal campsites.