PDA

View Full Version : Hike in Chattanooga, TN - Saturday Sept 18

MOWGLI
09-17-2004, 18:02
Tomorrow - Saturday September 18, I will be leading a hike from Reflection Riding - the botanical garden here in Chattanooga - up to Sunset Rock. The hike is approximately 2 miles each direction (4 mile R/T) with approximately 1000' of elevation gain.

The hike is billed as a Hawk Watch Hike. We are right at the end of the Broad Winged Hawk migration window, and have an opportunity to see hundreds of migrating raptors. Of course, wildlife can be funny, and it doesn't always cooperate. The forecast is for NW winds of approx 15 MPH, which is perfect for hawk migration. Ivan may have also held up many of the birds. It also may have blown some very interesting ones this direction.

If you are interested in attending this hike, you can meet me at Reflection Riding at 11:00 AM. I'll be near where the greenhouses & exhibits are. The hike leaves at 11:30. Bring a sack lunch and water. This activity is part of Reflection Ridings annual Fall Native Plant Sale.

Here's a link to the Reflection Riding web site.

http://www.chattanooga.net/membersites/rriding/

Here's an article about the event from the Chattanoogan:

http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_55322.asp

I hope to see some of you White Blazers there. It'll be fun.

Jeffrey Hunter

orangebug
09-17-2004, 19:37
... The hike is approximately 2 miles each direction (4 mile R/T) with approximately 1000' of elevation gain. ...
So, a round trip it is 1000' gain. This is a round trip with 500' gain, uphill both ways.

Are we supposed to walk barefoot and carry our own school books in the snow, too?

:jump

Bill....

MOWGLI
09-17-2004, 19:41
So, a round trip it is 1000' gain. This is a round trip with 500' gain, uphill both ways.

Are we supposed to walk barefoot and carry our own school books in the snow, too?

:jump

Bill....

Ok Wisenheimer, 1000' up - 1000' down. How about comin' on up from Hotlanta for a hike Bill? Tomorrow is supposed to be a nice day.

smokymtnsteve
09-17-2004, 19:50
I knowed what cha meant

Tim Rich
09-17-2004, 19:51
I browsed around your links for Reflection Riding. I had no idea that was there. I can't make it tomorrow, but it's made it on my list of short trips. Thanks for posting.

Take Care,

Tim

orangebug
09-17-2004, 19:55
Ok Wisenheimer, 1000' up - 1000' down. How about comin' on up from Hotlanta for a hike Bill? Tomorrow is supposed to be a nice day.
I just might do that. I'll try to get a Mapquest on the direction, cause that website's map is just weird to me.

Can dogs (on leads) come too?

Bill...

MOWGLI
09-17-2004, 19:58
I browsed around your links for Reflection Riding. I had no idea that was there. I can't make it tomorrow, but it's made it on my list of short trips. Thanks for posting.

Take Care,

Tim

Tim:

The Chattanooga Nature Center is right next to Reflection Riding. They have a captive pair of Red Wolves at the Nature Center, and a boardwalk through a wetland.

At Refelction Riding you have access to perhaps 25-30 miles of trails - many of them on NPS property.

It would definitely make for a nice day trip out of Atlanta.

MOWGLI
09-17-2004, 20:02
I just might do that. I'll try to get a Mapquest on the direction, cause that website's map is just weird to me.

Can dogs (on leads) come too?

Bill...

It would be great to see you. I would prefer you left the pooch home - I will have mine at home. If it was the two of us hiking, I wouldn't mind, but since it is a group hike... Anyway, I hope you can make it.

orangebug
09-17-2004, 20:06
Sally can stand a day alone at home. I will try to be there by 11AM.

Bill...

MOWGLI
09-17-2004, 20:14
Sally can stand a day alone at home. I will try to be there by 11AM.

Bill...

Great, I hope you can make it! You can bring Sally up another time and I'll take the two of you on the Cumberland Trail. There are some great sections within 30 minutes of Chattanooga, and the southern terminus (in a small section of the Chickamauga & Chattanooga National Military Park) is about 1.5 miles from my house.

Bring binoculars if you have a pair. Safe travels.

Tater
09-18-2004, 02:29

Daddy Longlegs
09-18-2004, 15:46
What a beautiful day! I wish I could have gone but had to clean up after the storm blew through. btw dogs are not allowed on Reflection Riding property and for the side of Lookout Mtn dogs have to be on a leash or it is a $50 fine.

orangebug
09-18-2004, 17:35
It was a beautiful day, and without dogs. It was also without civilians, as only Little Bear and myself showed for the walk. The only problem was my sudden onset of vertigo up on Sunset Rock, making it real hard to stand and look up into the super clear air, straining to find the few raptors soaring overhead.

Jeff, Thanks for announcing this opportunity to get out of town and on a trail.

Bill...