PDA

View Full Version : Worth the extra weight?

johnson_sb
01-26-2010, 19:24
First, let me say I'm new to backpacking. I'm planning a trip with an experienced backpacking friend for 3 days / 2 nights (25-30 miles) in a few weeks.

I have a brand new Alps Mountaineering Zephyr 2 tent (2-man) which weighs 4lbs-15.25 oz. Not terribly heavy for a 2-man.

I also have a borrowed (condition somewhat unknown at this point) 1-man tent available to me which weighs 4lbs-3.75 oz.

My question is, if I take my tent will I regret carrying the extra weight? I'd like to take it, but would like some objective opinions first.

leaftye
01-26-2010, 19:51
Take your 2-man tent and split the weight.

JustaTouron
01-26-2010, 19:53
I would discuss it with your experienced friend.....but odds are if you are hiking with a friend the lighest option is one of you take a two person tent and the other something else (stove/cook kit) instead of each of you taking a one person tent and own stove etc.

johnnybgood
01-26-2010, 20:04
Not knowing how tall you are I'd pitch both tents up in the back yard Steven and then see if that 1 man is big enough , lengthwise and also offers abundant headroom for you.

I personally would go with what works best for you and not worry about the 11.5 added ounces for this trip .

For longer trips in the future if your concerned about the weight then go with a lighter tent .

Blissful
01-26-2010, 20:06
I'd buy a 2 man Tarptent at a little over 2lbs weight. 2 plus lbs off your back feels like heaven and makes A lOT of difference hiking and makes it more enjoyable. :) Now if you both are going to be in the two man tent, then that works, you can split the weight.

Pacific Tortuga
01-26-2010, 20:14
Yes, set it up and seam seal it your self. Let it air out and like others have said, check it out and see if it fits your needs.
About 10 miles a day, it'll seem heavy, but they always do on that first day. Hope you have a great time.

jrwiesz
01-26-2010, 20:31
Take both, after discussing it with your partner.
He can leave his at home, if it is agreeable to him.

This way you can test:
1) If the two of you are compatible to share the two man tent.
2) Is the two man large enough for the both of you and your gear.
3) Is the one man big enough for you and your gear
4) What is the ease that you can set-up either tent, and which do you prefer.
5) are the two of you compatible to hike together.

With, going out for a shake down hike for two-three days, you'll accomplish the "figuring it out" aspect.

One of the greatest problems with the shared gear aspect of any partnership is: what if someone gets hurt/sick and has to bail; will you want to continue with the two man set-up by yourself?

What if you both decide to split up to hike at your own respective pace; who is taking the tent, who is going without?

And if you are sharing other gear; who gets the stove or other shared gear?

With going for just the two-three days, the added weight should be minimized and not be all that much of a burden, and the possibility of splitting up, most likely, won't happen. But, on a long distance hike the above partnership possibilities enter into the equation.

Just some of the what-ifs to consider. Enjoy your shake down.:sun

Franco
01-26-2010, 20:39
If your friend is like me, you would not want to share..
Apparently I am a loud snorer. That does not bother me at all, but it does others (up to 30 yards away)
I regularly wake up, have a look around, check the time and temperature, fiddle with my quilt and mat.
Sometime I also wipe the condensation of the fly. Then I will have a pee, occasionally using a bottle.
Apart from that you could enjoy my company.
Franco

Toolshed
01-26-2010, 20:44
First, let me say I'm new to backpacking. I'm planning a trip with an experienced backpacking friend for 3 days / 2 nights (25-30 miles) in a few weeks.

I have a brand new Alps Mountaineering Zephyr 2 tent (2-man) which weighs 4lbs-15.25 oz. Not terribly heavy for a 2-man.

I also have a borrowed (condition somewhat unknown at this point) 1-man tent available to me which weighs 4lbs-3.75 oz.

My question is, if I take my tent will I regret carrying the extra weight? I'd like to take it, but would like some objective opinions first.

If you like your space and freedom, just bring the Alps Zephyr. You are not going a long distance and the weight is negligible (remember that most here are hard or harder core ultalight enthusiasts). An extra pound won't really bother you and it wold be nice to pull your gear into the tent with you in the event of inclement weather.
Also, don't worry about the weight this trip and just enjoy yourself. If you spend your time wishing you had changed up gear (or not) you will end up not having a very good time. Good Luck and listen to your body!!

One other thing to remember - It was only 10-12 years ago when carrying a 4-5 lb tent was pretty much the standard. Many of us did it for many years, so it is not out of the ordinary.

jrwiesz
01-27-2010, 03:29
...I will have a pee, occasionally using a bottle.
Apart from that you could enjoy my company.
Franco

As long as it is not my bottle!!!:eek:

Summit
02-03-2010, 16:50
I assume you and your friend prefer separate tents . . . good idea! Take the 2-man. It's only a few ounces more and you'll really appreciate the extra room (to move around and to store your pack and stuff in the tent - no food!).

johnson_sb
02-03-2010, 18:19
I assume you and your friend prefer separate tents . . . good idea! Take the 2-man. It's only a few ounces more and you'll really appreciate the extra room (to move around and to store your pack and stuff in the tent - no food!).

Yeah, I'm taking the 2-man. After I practiced setting it up (it's new) and checked out what's included, there are at least half a dozen stakes I don't need to carry along with a bunch of lines. It's free standing after all -- I just need tieouts for the fly and maybe a couple of spares. So, that took out a couple more ounces. After that, the weight was almost a wash making it a no brainer.

Thanks, everybody, for the input.

Now, I just hope I don't freeze!!

Any threads you can refer me to on keeping warm would be great!

JustaTouron
02-03-2010, 18:45
Yeah, I'm taking the 2-man. After I practiced setting it up (it's new) and checked out what's included, there are at least half a dozen stakes I don't need to carry along with a bunch of lines. It's free standing after all -- I just need tieouts for the fly and maybe a couple of spares. So, that took out a couple more ounces. After that, the weight was almost a wash making it a no brainer.

Thanks, everybody, for the input.

Now, I just hope I don't freeze!!

Any threads you can refer me to on keeping warm would be great!

* Wear a hat. - you lose most of your heat thru your head

* keep in mind the furnace (you) is more important than the insulation (clothes). So eat right.

* "the leading cause of hypothermia is overheating" yeah, you read that correctly. more than anything else if you sweat too much and your clothes can't wick it away you will freeze when the temp drops or you stop moving. Make sure you don't overheat.

* to avoid having he look and dextaria of the michilain man, alternate your layers with vest. the provide almost as much warth as clothes with sleeves but allow for you to bend at the elbows.

* multiple layers are better than one thick layer

* cotten = cold

that is all i can think of off of the top of my head.

FamilyGuy
02-04-2010, 10:57
* Wear a hat. - you lose most of your heat thru your head

* keep in mind the furnace (you) is more important than the insulation (clothes). So eat right.

* "the leading cause of hypothermia is overheating" yeah, you read that correctly. more than anything else if you sweat too much and your clothes can't wick it away you will freeze when the temp drops or you stop moving. Make sure you don't overheat.

* to avoid having he look and dextaria of the michilain man, alternate your layers with vest. the provide almost as much warth as clothes with sleeves but allow for you to bend at the elbows.

* multiple layers are better than one thick layer

* cotten = cold

that is all i can think of off of the top of my head.

Moderator - can you please 'sticky' this post? It covers the bases, is easily understood without having to discuss convective and conductive heat loss, and is 100% true.

Nicely done.:banana

Doooglas
02-04-2010, 11:34
Only livestock sleeps on the ground.
Get swingin' :D:p

mister krabs
02-04-2010, 11:50
You'll like the zephyr, it's an awesome tent. One pro-tip: If it's going to pour rain, you might get a puddle of water on the fly where the poles cross at the front. You can try pulling the fly drum tight, but I found that wadding up a shirt and putting it between the fly and the mesh right there in that triangle will keep the puddle from forming. The puddle doesn't really do anything up there, it just sits, but it's annoying to me.

gohawks
02-04-2010, 16:00
You'll like the zephyr, it's an awesome tent. One pro-tip: If it's going to pour rain, you might get a puddle of water on the fly where the poles cross at the front. You can try pulling the fly drum tight, but I found that wadding up a shirt and putting it between the fly and the mesh right there in that triangle will keep the puddle from forming. The puddle doesn't really do anything up there, it just sits, but it's annoying to me.

Love the alps tent myself and that's a good tip. mine has never leaked there either but it does annoy me.

Lipson
05-08-2010, 09:48
Beware of tents with low side walls before the netting starts .When storms hit rain can splash in due to side ways rain . Most folks don't figure out what it takes to make a great tent until the first few real storms, ain't no fun getting wet and spending the day drying everything out .