PDA

View Full Version : What have you been given before your thru hike?

Thrasher
01-26-2010, 23:01
So my wife and I are leaving soon and she has been given a few things from coworkers and friends to use on our hike. So far she's gotten a dish scrubbing brush (also told she could brush her hair with it, so I guess it's multi-purpose), an eddie bauer mini led lantern (returned it, I was going to keep it just for other things but it didn't work), some microfiber towels, chocolate, and a tide to go pen.
Some good things we've gotten are starbucks via instant coffee and cash.
We try to tell people we've got everything, but we could always use some more money if they really want to get us something... It is nice that they want to help though.

So I was wondering what are some things you were given before your thru hike by friends, family, or coworkers that wanted to help you out and get something for your trip?

Ox97GaMe
01-26-2010, 23:30
I got lectures about being 'responsible and mature'. Basically, they were trying to talk me out of doing such a foolish thing (in their opinion). Im glad I didnt listen to them then, or the dozens of other times along the trail when they would say..... 'you have already made it farther than we thought you would. Its time for you to stop playing boy scout and get a job.'

Whatever dudes. Like Ive heard a lot of times... If you have to explain it to them, they probably wont get it. :)

Mags
01-26-2010, 23:48
When I did the AT back in the dark ages, I was an orderly working in an Out Patient Surgical Unit. I was the only male working with all nurses in their mid30s to early 60s.

As a young lad, I learned a few things from them. (Never ask a woman her age. Never guess her weight. You can't go wrong with flowers).

These women more-or-less adopted me. If I dated someone, they had to meet her. They tried fixing me up with the head nurse's daughter (very cute..but could make for some awkward conversations. ;) ) and treated me like an adopted son.

When I left to do the AT, they threw a going party for me at one their homes. A cake with a "trail' in frosting, a gift card and most importantly their good wishes.

A wonderful gift indeed.

Bearpaw
01-26-2010, 23:54
My DD214 (discharge papers) from the Marine Corps. The gift that keeps on giving!

Smoky in TN
01-29-2010, 10:25
Before my first thru-hike, I was working in a structural steel fabrication shop. The men in the shop took up a collection and gave me a gift certificate for a pair of new boots. I was truly surprised, I didn't think anyone cared about what I was about to do.

sbhikes
01-29-2010, 11:01
My boyfriend gave me a flashlight shaped like a bird that looked like one of my pet parrots. The next year he gave me a hiking shirt which I used the whole way. I brought a picture of the two of us that I would look at when I was lonely. The best gift though was being so supportive of me and encouraging me to go do it two summers in a row.

By the way, I drank Via coffee every day for the past 3 weeks and yesterday I bought some Nestcafe. The Nestcafe is cheaper and tastes exactly the same.

Red Hat
01-29-2010, 11:14
I was given, by a very well-meaning friend, a large, leatherbound journal to keep my memories in. I carried instead a small notebook that weighed several pounds less.

jnflas91
01-29-2010, 12:25
Hmm.... Well I got red velvet cake before I Thru Hiked the CT

Chaco Taco
01-29-2010, 19:53
grocery store gift cards