PDA

View Full Version : Tyvek bivy?

hustler
09-17-2004, 23:26
What are the chances this would work? You build a bivy sack out of tyvek and tape your seams with tyvek tape. In theory the bag should be breathable and waterproof. I would somehow make a head box, and suspend it with a line to trees or hiking poles. This way you could get some breathing room, and condensation wouldn't be as bad. I would make a vent system sort of like the north face bivys. The shelter would probably weight under a pound. What do you guys think, would it work? Has anyone tried this yet?

Dances with Mice
09-17-2004, 23:32
It would be LOUD!!!

orangebug
09-17-2004, 23:48
Its been done. The original Wanderlust Nomads were done in Tyvek. It works, but is actually pretty heavy.

Bill...

chris
09-19-2004, 16:50
I probably wouldn't try this on a wet trail like the AT. Tyvek just doesn't breathe well and if this is your primary means of shelter, you'll be soaked most mornings with condensation. On something like the PCT it might be feasible south of Washington. Also, Tyvek is not completely waterproof. Or, rather, it isn't waterproof to the degree necessary for a primary shelter. Of course, the easy way to find out if the idea will work, without a lot of effort, it to simply buy a extra large segment of Tyvek and roll up in it like a burrito, ideally in the rain, with your sleeping bag, for several nights in a row.

hustler
09-20-2004, 00:37
I do think it would be loud and wet. It's worth a try. It has been raining and snowing out here in colorado so it would be a good test. Thanks

orangebug
09-20-2004, 06:11
I used the Tyvek Nomad about 5-6 years ago before getting the silnylon one. It did leak/seap if place on wet ground or a puddle. It did not have as much condensation as silnylon. It was no more and no less "noisy" than a taut silnylon tent or tarp.

It was much more heavy.

SalParadise
09-22-2004, 13:13
I posted a question very similar to this maybe a month ago. I'm trying the Bivvy-Shelter idea on my next attempt, too, though with a thinly insulated bivvy to keep me warmer, plus it shouldn't make all the noise.
I'm not tying anything to a tree, since that could be something of a pain, but instead am buying a short $40 shelter/poncho to stake down over Leki's.
A newer forum mentioned that Tyvek could be washed in a machine (no soap) a couple times to soften it and take away much of its noiseyness. I would also figure some spray-on waterproofer should help the bivvy, too.
If you're looking for some hip-to-head no-see-um netting, they run about $20, and I'll try to find the link for you.

hustler
09-22-2004, 19:31
Sounds good, I'm still working on getting this thing done. Snow is flying out here in Colorado, so I still hope I have a chance to test it.